PDA

View Full Version : Selling a vehicle to the US, and help a dummy understand money

SKR
02-19-2015, 11:26 PM
So we have the big thread here about importing from the US, but has anyone ever sold a Canadian vehicle to an American? I'm selling my truck. I was wondering with our dollar down a little lower than it has been the last couple years, and being so close to Montana if it wouldn't be a good idea to advertise down there too. I just don't know anything about it.

And part 2 involves trading in to a dealer versus selling privately. Unless I'm wrong, you only pay GST on the difference between the two vehicles. So if you were buying a $20,000 vehicle, you'd pay 5% on $20,000 ($21,000 total). But if you had a trade worth $10,000, you'd only pay 5% on $10,000 ($20,500 total). Is that right so far? Things that make sense in my head frequently don't make any sense to anyone else, so that's why I'm asking. If my dealer is offering me $10,000 on my trade, does it make sense to ask for $10,000, plus 5% (so $10,500 total) on a private sale? Because if I sold it for the same price privately as I would get on a trade, in this scenario I would end up paying the dealer $21,000, whereas if I sold it for $10,500 I'd save myself the $500. Does that make any sense? Because half of me is saying it's obviously right, and the other half is saying it's so fucking stupid it couldn't possibly be right.

I'm asking because I got an offer from a dealer, and I'm trying to figure out what my floor is because I know I'll be buying another new vehicle that I'll have to pay the GST on.

relyt92
02-19-2015, 11:47 PM
I can't say anything about the logistics or anything of selling to someone in the states, but you are correct on the GST only being paid on the difference of the two vehicles, rather than the entire new vehicle amount.

rage2
02-20-2015, 10:18 AM
You only pay GST on the difference when trading in with a dealer. So you're right, you would want to sell privately at $10,500 to make it even.

Although I've heard of shady dealers trying to fuck people over trade in GST credit by lowering the trade-in on the invoice by 5%.

SKR
02-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Okay right on, thanks. I was so turned around in my head I didn't know if I was making sense or not.

I'm ready to sell this truck for any reasonable amount to the next person that can somehow make me an offer without calling, texting or emailing me. Selling a vehicle is just about a full time job. I'm pretty sure half the questions you get are from local dealerships who are just fucking with you until you finally give up and just trade it in. I'm so sick of my phone.