PDA

View Full Version : My new kayak

T5_X
03-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I just bought a demo kayak from Aquabatics. Is anyone here into paddling? I did a few ocean kayak trips in high school and I loved it, so I saved up for this boat (at the cost of no new brake rotors and exhaust). The boat is a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 140. Its a big boat, probably the biggest rec boat on the market, but I wanted a long kayak because I'll be taking it out to the coast. Aquabatics is an awesome store, really great experience dealing with the guys there.

T5_X
03-08-2004, 09:35 PM
kayak2

T5_X
03-08-2004, 09:35 PM
fits nicely on top of the car

JordanLotoski
03-08-2004, 09:43 PM
does this differ from any other blue kayak?

i know nothing about them.....looks like everyother one ive seen.....am i missin sumting here?

T5_X
03-08-2004, 09:55 PM
There are hundreds, maybe thousands of different kayaks on the market.
There are 3 main categories of kayak - whitewater, touring and recreational.
Whitewater kayaks are usually under 8-9 feet. They are really manueverable and built to run rapids in rivers. Thre are sub-categories of these kayaks depending on what type of water you're running and what style of kayaking you're doing.. like tricks etc.
Touring kayaks are usually for extended trips on large lakes and the ocean. They are narrow and long, about 15-20 feet usually. They are really fast on open water, especially if you're in a narrow, long one made of lightweight material like kevlar. These high quality ones are usually $3000+
Rec kayaks (like mine) range from 8-14 feet and they are typically wider than touring kayaks, so they are slower but much more stable. They are designed to handle a variety of conditions, so they have a design that is usually a comprimise between a touring and whitewater kayak. Mine is longer and wider than most rec kayaks, it leans a little more to the touring design, but I can still take it on rivers.

benyl
03-08-2004, 10:08 PM
that is one big kayak

where you gonna take that?

T5_X
03-08-2004, 10:39 PM
pretty much everywhere in southern alberta. The oldman river, lots of the bow, lakes and rivers. It'll probably see the ocean a couple times a year.

hjr
03-08-2004, 10:43 PM
nice 'yak dude. Im not really into ocean/lake kayaking, but damn, give me a sharp hulled white water kayak and im as snug as a bug, yes thats right, in a rug. Damn, i love white water. Class 3 is my max thoughb or an easier class 4. i know my limits so far! But cool man, it looks right at home on your car!

VWhooligan
03-08-2004, 11:47 PM
here's a picture of me on mine!

me and 15 of my buddies all go on a weekend long camping trip every summer and we take our canoes but I took a kayak because its so goddamn easier!

http://defaced.net/joel/pics/canoe%20trip/Picture%20079.jpg

i'm the one passed out in the kayak.

edit: oh found another!

http://defaced.net/simon/misc/kayak.jpg

cappachihngo
03-09-2004, 01:09 AM
cool kayak man, have fun with it

Ekliptix
03-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Cool. I took a kayak course at the U of C recently.
The had us eskimo rolling by the end of the class.

:thumbsup:

T5_X
03-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Sweet. We should have a Beyond paddling trip this summer if there's enough interest. Even if its a short day trip like from the bearspaw dam to the zoo. VWhooligan, feel free to bring those girls along :thumbsup:

VWhooligan
03-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
VWhooligan, feel free to bring those girls along :thumbsup:

haha yah they're nice to look at but all the damn girls did all day was sit on the front of the canoes and let the guys do all the paddling. oh well, at least we got to look at their boobies :poosie:

rc2002
03-09-2004, 02:18 PM
I could be in for some paddling...

The only thing I remember from the Kayak course at the U of C was that it was impossible to eject when your spray skirt is still on. It's some mass panic when you flip over. :)

Ocean Kayaks rock. The rudder makes it so that you don't even need to know how to kayak. You should slap a rudder on yours. :D

VWhooligan
03-09-2004, 04:39 PM
haha yah the rudder on my kayak rules, i just paddle and let my feet do the steering.

T5_X
03-09-2004, 05:04 PM
I want to get a rudder mainly for tracking. My boat has no skeg and no keel. In high winds and waves I expect to be tossed around a little.

And getting out when you flip is easy lol. Just yank the end of the skirt and somersault out!