PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on 6.5" components

westsideaccord
02-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Hello, been looking to upgrade some speakers in the pilot ute.
Looking for suggestions on relatively affordable but decent sounding components, 6.5", going into factory door location with sound deadening and tweeter either in sail panel or near there in door. Budget of approx $250-300
Will be looking at dynamat and an amp as well afterward...

All components I've owned have been amplified with very near ideal wattage except my inexpensive kickers.
I have had original jl vr series, but in 5 1/4" they were awesome,
Recent jl c2 series they were just ok, bit overpriced at 200? I believe
Polk DB 6501 and they were ok, but the installation was into ej6 factory spots, not well sealed nor dampened. I am a huge Polk fan due to there affordability and sound, and better is there customer service, had two warranty issues in past and replaced bad tweeter and woofer free even a bit past 5 year warranty mark :)
Used alpine type s but were boring sounding and hard to tune...not clear or nice at all imo. Although my alpine type R coaxials in my car sound pretty decent with amplification as well.
Rockford P1 components, dual tweeters, convertible, actually sounded decent in custom pods and with some power.
I have some cheap kicker components in my truck and they sound good for the truck, it is just for work after all. And they are run off the head unit.

I am thinking of durability and quality as priority, and preferably no overly harsh tweeters, like some mb quart or even the Polk DB seemed a bit bright.
I like the outboard crossover, also would like higher sensitivity, as I may not be amplifying immediately (Polk mm6501 are at 94db...pioneer are nice but only 87-88db)
I will be amplifying them currently have 2 different amplifiers, but may upgrade to a cleaner smaller amp like alpine or ppi or better.
My budget is say around 250-300 but not limited to...
I've searched online and really like image dynamics, and Polk MM but hard to find in Canada let alone, locally.

Please suggest other brands as well and where to buy from, shops around Calgary that are open Saturday.
Thanks!
If anyone knows where I can purchase the Polk mm 6501 at a decent price locally chime in as well, they are basically what I want but, would like warranty as Amazon does not provide such lol.

westsideaccord
03-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Please close this thread, I pcked up a set of used focal k2 kps and Polk amp, see how they do, thanks!