PDA

View Full Version : Bike paths? how about skate paths.... ok Edmonton.

sillysod
02-24-2015, 03:50 PM
The ultimate answer to traffic gridlock?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31581592

schocker
02-24-2015, 03:54 PM
I do enjoy how this is making the news now when it originally came out like 6 weeks ago :rofl:
http://globalnews.ca/news/1763767/freezeway-would-allow-edmontonians-to-skate-to-work/

Interesting idea though. Rollerblade tracks in summer :D

Thales of Miletus
02-24-2015, 04:45 PM
The problem is, that Edmonton does as little as possible for it's citizens.

It is a dirty ugly city, with virtually no culture. Unless you label culture "getting drunk, over eating and then falling into a pot hole".

The bike paths suck, the parks suck, even the average picnic table is falling apart and covered with bird poop.

codetrap
02-24-2015, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus
The problem is, that Edmonton does as little as possible for it's citizens.

It is a dirty ugly city, with virtually no culture. Unless you label culture "getting drunk, over eating and then falling into a pot hole".

The bike paths suck, the parks suck, even the average picnic table is falling apart and covered with bird poop. Sorry, but the only bird shit here is you. I rode a LOT of the bike trails in Edmonton, and they're just fine. Basically, you're full of shit. Just because your life sucks doesn't mean Edmonton sucks.

Thales of Miletus
02-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
As someone who has ridden most of the bike paths in and around Edmonton, you're totally full of shit.

LOL. You certainly have a need for name calling.

Please explain how you travel the trail from Hermitage park to Gold Bar without hitting many heaves from tree roots.

Or explain how you go from Sherwood Park to Edmonton? How about the North End to downtown? Explain why the path along the LRT suddenly disappears when you hit the 118.

Sure the paths are okay around the University and on the south side. But even those are covered with sand.

Perhaps you have never been out of Edmonton and see the bike paths in Lynn Canyon, or the rest of Vancouver. Or seen the paths in Calgary.

Edmontons paths are disjointed and often you have to share the road with people that have no regard for those on bikes.

If you were a citizen of the city, you would stop acting like such a suck up, and get on the cities case for a better program.

How many miles do you put on in a summer? 500 a 1000. I put on 3,000 to 4,000 a summer.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2015, 05:06 PM

HiTempguy1
02-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
An interesting concept, but the comment of "cracking open fire hydrants" just demonstrates what a poor understanding councilors have of how things work in the real world.

In cities where freezing is a problem, hydrants are filled with glycol in the stems to prevent them from freezing/bursting. Good luck getting that to freeze, plus it would smell like poo, lol.

That actually "depends" on the water table level, which changes how the style of hydrant is selected.

Most hydrants actually self drain to where the plunger assembly/valve is. You are correct about the hydrants IF they are not the self drain style (which all of Red Deer for instance, is not), but I do not know about Edmonton. However, in Red Deer we did NOT put glycol in them. Every spring and fall there were checks to insure against leakage, and the hydrants were completely drained.

How would I know this? Because I maintained every single last one of the thousands of hydrants in Red Deer for 4 years of my life ;)

Edit-
And for the record, as someone who has lived in Edmonton for the past 7 years, there is nothing wrong with the place. It is a great community. Sure, it isn't as "beautiful" as it could be, but buildings don't just magically change overnight, and the 80's was a shitty time to be here by my understanding.

Also, I don't want Edmonton to be like Vancouver. I want Edmonton to be Edmonton.

codetrap
02-24-2015, 05:43 PM

LOL. You certainly have a need for name calling.

Please explain how you travel the trail from Hermitage park to Gold Bar without hitting many heaves from tree roots.

Or explain how you go from Sherwood Park to Edmonton? How about the North End to downtown? Explain why the path along the LRT suddenly disappears when you hit the 118.

Sure the paths are okay around the University and on the south side. But even those are covered with sand.

Perhaps you have never been out of Edmonton and see the bike paths in Lynn Canyon, or the rest of Vancouver. Or seen the paths in Calgary.

Edmontons paths are disjointed and often you have to share the road with people that have no regard for those on bikes.

If you were a citizen of the city, you would stop acting like such a suck

How many miles do you put on in a summer? 500 a 1000. I put on 3,000 to 4,000 a summer. Want to compare dicks next? As to how many k? Well, I've had two hips replaced now. My bike commute to work is 24k one way, and I'm about to start it up for the summer again.

Thales of Miletus
02-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Want to compare dicks next? As to how many k? Well, I've had two hips replaced now. My bike commute to work is 24k one way, and I'm about to start it up for the summer again.

Judging by the way you talk to people, you not only had your hips replaced but a few extra assholes installed.

codetrap
02-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Thales, I'm going to post here what I said to you in PM. I'm not really interested in have a private discussion about this. If you have anything further to say, feel free to post in this thread. As for me being an asshole, sure, guilty as charged. I typically do my best to respond in kind.

Thales of Miletus wrote on 02-24-2015 04:09 PM:
Is there a world, where you think that talking to people the way you do, is acceptable?

Or are you a child and don't know any better?

codetrap wrote on 02-24-2015 04:13 PM:
I must be a child. People identify where they grow up. Insult that, and you insult them.

Thales of Miletus wrote on 02-24-2015 06:12 PM:

Yup that is pretty childish. I was born in Edmonton but have been around the world.

Edmonton is nothing but a dirty truck stop.

codetrap wrote on 02-24-2015 06:17 PM:
I guess every single person in the world who takes some pride in where they grew up and where they live must be childish then. Oh wait, that's just human nature to identify in social groups. Hmm, perhaps if you were as intelligent as your username, you'd realize that. As for going around the world? Well, Yay for you. Didn't seem to make you any wiser or have any more insight into people and how to interact with them.

If you think Edmonton is nothing but a dirty truck stop, then I feel sorry for you. People typically see the world as a reflection of themselves. What does that say about you? (This is a rhetorical question.)

Edit: I'm going to cut you some slack here and assume that you didn't originally intend to be offensive, and as such I'll apologize for my retort and calling you bird poop. However, I would highly suggest that you spend a little more time setting the tone of your posts. To me, you came across as a condescending asshole. That's just what I as the reader got from your writing. The fewer the words, the easier it is for the reader to superimpose their own current emotional state on those words. If that's not your intent, then you have my apologies. Take the advice for what it's worth, and hopefully understand that I bear you no personal malice, and do wish you all happiness.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2015, 09:30 PM

kobe tai
02-24-2015, 11:18 PM
fuck our city council are bunch of idiots. but thats nothing new. :dunno:

clem24
02-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Why is this so bad? Honestly I think it's a pretty cool idea. Not necessarily skating to work but just a general area for skating, period. Mind you the surface might not be ideal and they might have issues with bare patches ($$$) but really, this actually sounds fun.

codetrap
02-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Thales, like I said before. Post to the thread. I'm not interested in a private conversation about this.

Thales of Miletus wrote on 02-24-2015 09:27 PM:

People see the world as a reflection of themselves? Where did you get that crap from?

People need to demand better. Albertans work hard and should demand that we benefit from our labor and our resources.

When Klein came into power, all the money went to Calgary. And now Calgary is a nice city. Edmonton needs some investment.

Taking pride in things is silly. They either serve you or they don't. I am not going to take pride in my mtn bike if the chain keeps falling off on sending me to the concrete. I would simply fix the bike.

blitz
02-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Why is this so bad? Honestly I think it's a pretty cool idea. Not necessarily skating to work but just a general area for skating, period. Mind you the surface might not be ideal and they might have issues with bare patches ($$$) but really, this actually sounds fun.

I'd totally skate to work if it was an option.

Sugarphreak
02-25-2015, 02:15 PM

killramos
02-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Wow i didnt realize what gold this thread was, i wrote it off when i saw Edmonton in the title hahaha

We lost Thales for a while, just like we lost Arash...

I cant say I'm pleased to see his return.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-25-2015, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
An interesting concept, but the comment of "cracking open fire hydrants" just demonstrates what a poor understanding councilors have of how things work in the real world.

In cities where freezing is a problem, hydrants are filled with glycol in the stems to prevent them from freezing/bursting. Good luck getting that to freeze, plus it would smell like poo, lol.

I think you may be reading too far into an offhand jibe from twenty years ago. ;)

P_D
02-25-2015, 03:17 PM

Judging by the way you talk to people, you not only had your hips replaced but a few extra assholes installed.

So who is this new troll?

Tik-Tok
02-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by P_D

So who is this new troll?

Some say Thales Of Miletus As an acronym.

Nitro5
02-25-2015, 04:15 PM
It must be soul sucking to live somewhere you just hate being. If there was only something you could do about it....

nine5ej1
02-25-2015, 04:21 PM
How would anyone get any use out of this when the ice will be littered with Oiler jerseys?

Thales of Miletus
02-25-2015, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Nitro5
It must be soul sucking to live somewhere you just hate being. If there was only something you could do about it....

I don't hate Edmonton. I live in Sherwood Park. I simply hate the fact that all of the investment goes to the corporate benefit and little to the average citizen.

Ring road for corporations, pot holes for citizens.

New rink for the Oilers, broken glass in the public kiddie pools.

The two best places to live in Canada are St Alberta and Strathcona county. Edmonton is in between and ranks way down on the list. What's up with that?

blitz
02-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I think you may be reading too far into an offhand jibe from twenty years ago. ;)

Everything is literal and must be taken at face value!

Thales of Miletus
02-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by blitz

Everything is literal and must be taken at face value!

Figuratively speaking.

EM2FTL
02-25-2015, 04:58 PM

The two best places to live in Canada are St Alberta and Strathcona county. Edmonton is in between and ranks way down on the list. What's up with that?

Best places to live for who? Families? As a thirty-something professional i'll take my 5 minute commute to work and access to fine dining over living in chain restaurant cookie-cutter suburbia.

Thales of Miletus
02-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

Best places to live for who? Families? As a thirty-something professional i'll take my 5 minute commute to work and access to fine dining over living in chain restaurant cookie-cutter suburbia.

Too each their own. Powell River is rated low on the list, but I would live there anyday.

Give me my boat and my reel, and away I go.

For me, community and nature are important.

To others, it is fine dinning.