PDA

View Full Version : Decent Garage cabinets for a decent price?

Chrisw
02-24-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm looking for decent garage cabinets for a decent price.. Anyone know if any? It seems like all the cabinets that are sold as "garage cabinets" are outrageous for what you get. Crap aluminum ones for like 180 bucks a piece.

I was actually considering IKEA kitchen cabinets as they are pretty cheap to start with but I'm a little worried that they won't take any weight. I'm not too worried about them taking a beating as they will just be in the garage and frankly might not even have doors on them.

Anyone have any other ideas? What do you beyonders have in your garage? :dunno:

For info... I am just looking for wall cabinets as I have a new tool chest that has capped with wood on top. This will house numerous tools and be used as my work bench in the garage... and can be easily rolled into the trailer as a pit cart come race weekend. I am looking for wall mounted cabinets too be above these that will hold things I likely won't be taking to the track with me.

(I'm not sure where a thread like this should actually go, so mods... move accordingly :thumbsup: )

AndyL
02-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Kelvinator steel cabinets from the 40s and 50s... They are fucking sweet in a garage...

project240
02-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Just keep an eye on kijiji. Lots of people renovating their kitchen and looking to get rid of outdated cabinets for free or cheap.

schocker
02-25-2015, 06:49 PM
I have looked at what is available and have decided to just build my own. Shouldn't be too difficult and then I can make them to the ideal dimensions for my wall space too.

codetrap
02-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by project240
Just keep an eye on kijiji. Lots of people renovating their kitchen and looking to get rid of outdated cabinets for free or cheap. This is what I did. Got all my dad's old kitchen cabinets, then customized them to fit in my garage space. They work fantastic. If that didn't work, I was going to simply build them. Building cabinets is dead easy, and garage ones are easier because it doesn't matter if they're perfect, or stained, or awesome. They just need to be square. :)

Tik-Tok
02-25-2015, 07:31 PM
I used 2x4's as frame, and old interior house doors as the shelves. Works awesome.

D. Dub
02-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Find the old cabinets from a reno on kijiji or man up and build em outa plywood and 2X4's like a real man.