Tik-Tok
02-26-2015, 12:38 PM
So one month later.... retake the poll.

KRyn
02-26-2015, 12:39 PM
No & No: O&G Midstream

ExtraSlow
02-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Yes and Yes more will come, O&G service sector. At least I haven't been laid off. I'd prefer if they could wait until July for that.

killramos
02-26-2015, 12:45 PM
No and No Mid Cap E&P

adam c
02-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Should add in an option for unknown if there will be more layoffs

Kanto_Terrors
02-26-2015, 01:06 PM
No, but we've slow down.

I work for an environmental consulting firm in accounting/finance dept.

HiTempguy1
02-26-2015, 01:36 PM
No and no. But I work for the Alberta gov, they will try to cut wages before they do layoffs, they'd rather people quit then payout any severance. :guns:

In fact, some work/contracts just came through today. I'll easily be busy until August/September now. It won't be balls to the walls, but I have work, and some considerable overtime from working up north.

vengie
02-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Yes, and Potentially. I work for a servicing company... Mainly our field staff has been affected, which doesn't bode well for me if the level of activity increases quickly, I'll have to dust off the old Dunlops and get back to supervising.

Phihalo
02-26-2015, 01:54 PM
Yes and Yes

PM is gone, MOC is gone, PA is gone, my whole row is empty now FFS :whipped:

Feruk
02-26-2015, 04:35 PM
No and we've been told none coming. E&P, small to mid sized. Unique situation I'm not elaborating on though.

If oil's at $50 Jan 1 2016, make no mistake, expect layoffs everywhere, and not just O&G.

Originally posted by vengie
Yes, and Potentially. I work for a servicing company...
Potentially? :rofl: That's optimistic.

spikerS
02-26-2015, 05:09 PM
No, and No.

I am in management with a telco. Our corp cards are being scrutinized a bit more, and asked to reduce spending, but we are already understaffed in my area, they can't get rid of anyone.

510-Trevor
02-26-2015, 05:19 PM
No and no, non O&G structural steel fabricator.

vengie
02-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
No and we've been told none coming. E&P, small to mid sized. Unique situation I'm not elaborating on though.

If oil's at $50 Jan 1 2016, make no mistake, expect layoffs everywhere, and not just O&G.

Potentially? :rofl: That's optimistic.

Haha I have survived 2 rounds so far, if they slash anymore its going to be very valuable employees walking out the door! Myself included.

suntan
02-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Interestingly Calgary's unemployment rate went down from dec-jan.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/lfss03k-eng.htm

Even though the labour force grew, both the participation and employment rate went up.

mrsingh
02-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Yes and if this oil price persists another six months then likely more to come. Large O&G producer.

Asian_defender
02-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
No, and No.

I am in management with a telco. Our corp cards are being scrutinized a bit more, and asked to reduce spending, but we are already understaffed in my area, they can't get rid of anyone.

I am also with a telco and we've laid off 1600 with more to come.
I bet most of you can guess which telco

spikerS
02-26-2015, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Asian_defender

I am also with a telco and we've laid off 1600 with more to come.
I bet most of you can guess which telco

yeah, but they were not "laid off" they were offered relocation packages I thought. I was reading they were offered $7500 in moving expenses to move to one of the other cities...

msommers
02-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Still, that's a lot of people.

Racoonfighter
02-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Still, that's a lot of people.

That's just Shaw in 6 months a year they will change plans and bring most of those jobs back.

Sugarphreak
02-26-2015, 06:45 PM

botox
02-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Ditto, but they just took away our weekly fruit and nachos! What's next, the pop?

revelations
02-26-2015, 07:19 PM
I thought things were going to slow down in IT (contract) but the opposite has been the case?? When can I get some time off??:banghead:

Joe-G
02-26-2015, 07:33 PM
Yes, and yes. O&G service sector here as well. Although my division is fairly safe IMO.

03ozwhip
02-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Lots of layoffs at mod yards but the projects my company is on are still going strong with 0 layoffs. However, I was laid off today so I can start school on Monday.:dunno:

Cos
02-26-2015, 07:51 PM

A2VR6
02-26-2015, 08:29 PM

+1

Asian_defender
02-26-2015, 08:34 PM

yeah, but they were not "laid off" they were offered relocation packages I thought. I was reading they were offered $7500 in moving expenses to move to one of the other cities...

No one is going to relocate for a tech support or CSR job.
Even field provisioning was eliminated in calgary

They actually did some 'restructuring' too. Always happens this time of year

Cos
02-26-2015, 08:39 PM

huch
02-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Yes and yes....

O&G service sector.... In a division that technically should be a lot more stable however every single PSL needs to participate in layoffs.... even if it doesn't make any sense.

An old co-worker of mine was laid off this week.... 20 years of experience of which 15 were at this company.

Xtrema
02-26-2015, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Yeah I feel like that is what we're about to do too. You need people around in our world but besides the lineman technically no one is safe.

One week after record bonus, you seem to have a complete different outlook.

We shaved about 15% head counts so far. And 1/4 of that is middle management. End isn't in sight, I can see another 10% in the next 6 months. The problem is forecast is way off and Calgary staff is too expensive to be reused compared to other regions. If you are not billing, you are leaving.

IT spending is going to be tight for a while.

Originally posted by revelations
I thought things were going to slow down in IT (contract) but the opposite has been the case?? When can I get some time off??:banghead:

It depends on the sector. A few is still hot and there are still many in flight projects to finish. But just like o&g, no new spending mean overall there are definitely way less work and a few more people available.

But just like 2009, only the weaker links are being laid off right now.

killramos
02-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Someone has to lock peoples ID cards and email out and wipe their computers.

:rofl:

Cos
02-27-2015, 08:21 AM

riander5
02-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Yes and No - Large O&G producer

Brent.ff
02-27-2015, 09:34 AM
no, and might be coming. We'll see
Small environmental consulting firm for upstream O&G..

94boosted
02-27-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by A2VR6

+1

+1

woodywoodford
02-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Yes and yes, oilfield services. Expecting a round at the end of each month going into breakup.

Didn't realize how many of us work on the service side around here!

cloud7
02-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Yes and Yes

Our company (not O&G at all) has laid off some field staff that survey residential lots, but the scale is minor at the moment. Residential home builders are not buying new lots because there are just not a lot of buyers, so business goes down as a result. Not a big surprise.

Xtrema
02-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by cloud7
Yes and Yes

Our company (not O&G at all) has laid off some field staff that survey residential lots, but the scale is minor at the moment. Residential home builders are not buying new lots because there are just not a lot of buyers, so business goes down as a result. Not a big surprise.

A finisher I know seem to have about 30-40% down on business compare to 2014. But he doesn't mind the slow down at all as 2013 was way too crazy.

btimbit
02-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Yes and No. O&G Midstream and services. My division is very safe but they sent out a letter this week explaining a few cost cutting measures. There was a few layoffs (All in the US) and the execs all took a paycut but other than that we're seemingly fine, at least for the rest of 2015

nickyh
02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Yes and No. O&G Midstream and services. My division is very safe but they sent out a letter this week explaining a few cost cutting measures. There was a few layoffs (All in the US) and the execs all took a paycut but other than that we're seemingly fine, at least for the rest of 2015

Mmmmm, I think we may work at the same company at the very least or even the same dept.
Was the letter sent out Thursday evening by chance?

spikerS
02-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Didn't see this one and I literally just posted in the other thread.

We've had a hiring freeze for a while now and they are cancelling already posted positions. This is kind of our way of firing people. If this keeps up though I could see some people getting packaged and non-essential management getting cut.

I wonder since we work in similar industries. A few weeks ago I never would have though they would let people go besides a few contractors and MAYBE help people go into early retirement. Now I have this feeling that they are looking at two groups and saying to themselves "why do we have two managers here" and I think they are going to punt one and over-work the other. What would Telus do? Is your team small enough that you and some other manager could be rolled together? Luckily I can go back down into my role since they haven't been back filling since last August because of another project. Just lucky timing for us I guess. I know you were in the NOC before but I imagine they backfilled you ASAP?

Not trying to scare you, I am just wondering if I am seeing things on our side because I felt the same way until recently. LOL

no, my team directly still has the green light to hire at least 4 more people. We are severely understaffed, and that goes for quite a few areas.

I also just had a review with my manager, and director, both have quite clearly stated that our area is going to have a bubble. We will never generate income for TELUS, but the amount of money our dept saves is absolutely astronomical. Both have stated that there wont be anything comig down the pipe for us.

But I, like you, if shit does hit the fan, could go back down. my old boss is still ticked that I left, and still have not backfilled it. It's a high stress job, but highly rewarding, and not many have the mental facilities to handle it so they have 2 problems. 1, finding someone willing to do it, because they know what it entails, and 2, if they find someone, they don't last long.

SKR
02-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by nickyh

Mmmmm, I think we may work at the same company at the very least or even the same dept.
Was the letter sent out Thursday evening by chance?

I was thinking the same thing. Got a very similar letter late Thursday, except my division had some Canadian layoffs.

It sounds for us like Thursday was the last of the layoffs for now. So yes, we have laid people off, but there will not likely be any more layoffs. O&G service company.

revelations
02-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Someone has to lock peoples ID cards and email out and wipe their computers.

haha, thats left to the in house staff - I contract generally to small businesses, in all sectors and industries.

But im still far too busy to make sense. I think this whole downturn is temporary and affects a very narrow section of the general Canadian economy. Gas prices have quickly climbed back up anyways.

In general, people have been running up their personal debt levels to unsustainable levels so maybe a minor shakeup is good in some ways for these people to get their financial act together. :dunno:

schurchill39
03-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Yes and yes. O&G service company. Lots and lots of lay offs on the field level with 70% of them coming from the US. Wage rollbacks company wide graduated by income with executive taking the most. 15% of my group got terminated and the rumor mill is that team leads and management have to look into terminating 25% of each group by breakup.

Things are really cut throat right now.

Originally posted by botox

Ditto, but they just took away our weekly fruit and nachos! What's next, the pop?

I think I might have a good idea where you work. One of my clients has been bitching about "losing the weekly fruit" and wondering "when the pop will be next".:rofl: Does your IT department have an auto-ban on cus words in your emails by chance?

8baller8
03-02-2015, 11:42 AM
For some reason, I don't have much sympathy for the field guys who are laid off in Ft Mac/Northern Alberta. You can make like $40 driving a frikkin' forklift up there. Truck drivers pull in 8-12K a month easily and all they need is a class 1 which costs about 1K. Compare that to those with university/technical education costing in the tens of thousands. Don't get me wrong, I know the field workers work their tail off but I think it is getting a little bit ridiculous up there. Imagine having kids and letting them grow up in Ft Mac......yikes.

adam c
03-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by 8baller8
For some reason, I don't have much sympathy for the field guys who are laid off in Ft Mac/Northern Alberta. You can make like $40 driving a frikkin' forklift up there. Truck drivers pull in 8-12K a month easily and all they need is a class 1 which costs about 1K. Compare that to those with university/technical education costing in the tens of thousands. Don't get me wrong, I know the field workers work their tail off but I think it is getting a little bit ridiculous up there. Imagine having kids and letting them grow up in Ft Mac......yikes.

My wife has a friend that lives up there and they do janitorial work for one of the oil companies, well needless to say they have a $750,000 house... like wtf

Disoblige
03-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Imagine having kids and letting them grow up in Ft Mac......yikes.
Or worse.. Imagine your kids going to a business school that's not Haskayne!! :eek:

Cos
03-02-2015, 12:32 PM

zipdoa
03-02-2015, 12:56 PM

no, my team directly still has the green light to hire at least 4 more people. We are severely understaffed, and that goes for quite a few areas.

I also just had a review with my manager, and director, both have quite clearly stated that our area is going to have a bubble. We will never generate income for TELUS, but the amount of money our dept saves is absolutely astronomical. Both have stated that there wont be anything comig down the pipe for us.

But I, like you, if shit does hit the fan, could go back down. my old boss is still ticked that I left, and still have not backfilled it. It's a high stress job, but highly rewarding, and not many have the mental facilities to handle it so they have 2 problems. 1, finding someone willing to do it, because they know what it entails, and 2, if they find someone, they don't last long.

are you L&R?

adam c
03-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Do they live in Ft. Mac? If so does it look like this though?

https://rasjacobson.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/img_0338.jpg

And people think Calgary is expensive.

No it's an actual house

Chemengsait
03-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Dad got laid off today, worked for a printing company that mainly does stuff for AHS. I guess oil prices are starting to affect outside of O&G.

realazy
03-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Heard Trican did a big round of layoffs today.

Speed_69
03-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Chemengsait
Dad got laid off today, worked for a printing company that mainly does stuff for AHS. I guess oil prices are starting to affect outside of O&G.
Well AHS is Government of Alberta and with the budget deficit, they need to reduce costs anywhere they can.

dandia89
03-03-2015, 01:49 PM

most of them are broke too, spending money on useless shit. they live paycheck to paycheck

vengie
03-03-2015, 02:28 PM

Do you know what the cost of living is like in Fort Mac?? a mobile trailer sells for $500k.

Also, a class 1 does not cost $1000... (Unless you challenge the exam, then its only $150, good luck though)

Also just because someone has a tech diploma or degree does not mean they must be paid well. Some friends of mine opted to get USELESS degrees and cannot find work and are severely in the hole. While me, the little old truck driver, who went and got a tech diploma am 100% debt free aside from a mortgage.

Disoblige
03-03-2015, 02:32 PM

Do you know what the cost of living is like in Fort Mac?? a mobile trailer sells for $500k.

Also, a class 1 does not cost $1000... (Unless you challenge the exam, then its only $150, good luck though)

Also just because someone has a tech diploma or degree does not mean they must be paid well. Some friends of mine opted to get USELESS degrees and cannot find work and are severely in the hole. While me, the little old truck driver, who went and got a tech diploma am 100% debt free aside from a mortgage.
And just to be devil's advocate on your point, just because someone is 100% debt free aside from a mortgage doesn't mean they get paid well either.

vengie
03-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

And just to be devil's advocate on your point, just because someone is 100% debt free aside from a mortgage doesn't mean they get paid well either.

This is very true.

The point I was trying to make is just because you have a degree does not entitle you to be paid well.

Graham_A_M
03-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Just got the boot at 6:30 this morning, first in my department. While I was sitting there, it was a non-stop parade of guys in our department and every other one going in for similar meetings. Too bad, I would have liked to see who all got the boot.

Nice to get three weeks of pay, but now comes the shitty part of trying to find work in this horrendous economy. Im quite sure I wont find anything in my trade (Millwright). :(

Jeez, tempted to just get on EI for the first time in my life. God knows how many $10s of thousands Ive given to EI over my working career, wow do I ever feel like going on it while I go to school. Ah well, at least this gives me time to complete my schooling and get my Red Seal cert. while I can.

All though the layoffs seem quite random, even a welder that's been there 18 years was layed off the same time I was.

lasimmon
03-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Home with food poisoning, hopefully I still have a job!

Speed_69
03-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Jeez, tempted to just get on EI for the first time in my life. God knows how many $10s of thousands Ive given to EI over my working career, wow do I ever feel like going on it while I go to school. Ah well, at least this gives me time to complete my schooling and get my Red Seal cert. while I can.

I thought that people that return to school full-time are no longer eligible for EI? Well unless you're taking evening or weekend courses.

From the Service Canada website:
"Taking a course or training program on your own initiative, without being directed to do so by a designated authority, does not automatically result in the loss of regular benefits. Although participation in a course is commendable, you must show that you are available to work while you are attending school. It is essential that you continue to look for work and that taking a course does not prevent you from being available to work or from accepting any appropriate offer of employment during normal working hours. You need to be ready to make all the necessary arrangements to hold a job or even drop the course if necessary."

HiTempguy1
03-03-2015, 03:33 PM

I always stress this. For every enginerd making $80-100k at an EPC, there are 10 making $60k at little butt-fuck companies.

Same with technologists, I started out at $55k/year in sales at westburne, and took a paycut to $47k/year to work where I am now. If you look at average salary surveys for ASET and APEGGA, they show that people are not nearly as well paid as you'd think.

On top of all of that, Beyond is not representative of the average world by any means. I bet Beyonder's average in the top 20%.

ExtraSlow
03-03-2015, 03:35 PM
1% or bust bitches.

killramos
03-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
1% or bust bitches.

:werd:

80-100k, please. :bigpimp:

vengie
03-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I bet Beyonder's average in the top 20%.

I bet a lot of beyonders are not as well off as they portray.

Strider
03-03-2015, 04:01 PM
I always stress this. For every enginerd making $80-100k at an EPC, there are 10 making $60k at little butt-fuck companies.

I bet a lot of beyonders are not as well off as they portray.

I posted this a little while back in the Falling House prices thread with respect to a 5 year Eng "doing it wrong" if they're not making over $100k.

Originally posted by Strider
Rage2's numbers are correct

To get into a bit more detail. Out of 2,165 Engineering respondents in the 0-5 year category, more than 50% were Level B. So to be an engineer at Level A with 4-5 years of experience would be "doing it wrong"

So looking at Level B
For an E&P, average base salary is $92,500 / D25 is $88,900
For an EPC, average base salary is $86,100 / D25 is $78,400 (this includes engineers at EPCs working on municipal/infrastructure).

Total comp, you'd certainly expect to be over $100k

The average "enginerd" is making over $80k at an EPC within 5 years of graduation. For every 1 of those, there's 40 others with more than 5 years of experience making over $80k and 5 with less than 5 years of experience making $60k at a "little butt-fuck company". :rolleyes:

Plus there's quite a few of us on Beyond who work at E&Ps making >$100k within 5 years of graduating :poosie:

killramos
03-03-2015, 04:12 PM
^ come on strider everyone knows in alberta you will never break 100k a year by getting a degree. Fact.

All the money is in welding and rigging.

Disoblige
03-03-2015, 04:20 PM
If you are still level A with 4-5 years experience, you're probably a lazy fuck, and/or incompetent.

dirtsniffer
03-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Man a lot of people hate engineers. It's almost like we are the bicycle riders, cars hate them for being on the rode, pedestrians hate them for being on the sidewalk.

Marketing/business don't like us because we tell them what to do and the trades don't like us cause we tell them what to do.. :devil:

HiTempguy1
03-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Strider

I posted this a little while back in the Falling House prices thread with respect to a 5 year Eng "doing it wrong" if they're not making over $100k.

The average "enginerd" is making over $80k at an EPC within 5 years of graduation. For every 1 of those, there's 40 others with more than 5 years of experience making over $80k and 5 with less than 5 years of experience making $60k at a "little butt-fuck company". :rolleyes:

Plus there's quite a few of us on Beyond who work at E&Ps making >$100k within 5 years of graduating :poosie:

First of all, if you look at the locations that the 2014 APEGGA survey got its info from, 4500+ of the respondents were in Calgary. Right off the bat, that skews the average WAY up. Thats like saying housing prices in Calgary are indicative of Alberta pricing, and it isn't. There is something like a $50k plus average spread between Calgary and Edmonton (edit-for housing prices, in case that wasn't clear what I was referring to).

While the survey is helpful, it is flawed. If you can't admit that, then your education hasn't helped you too much.

Second of all, don't get butthurt about "enginerds". I work with engineers all day long, we design and build things TOGETHER. Chill bro.

Third, I also suspect those results because of how the reporting is done. If you took everything my company pays me and assigned a cash value to it, I am also close to six figures. Earning $100k a year, but only getting weekends and 2 weeks of vacation is different than earning $100k a year, 5 weeks of vacation, all stats, additional time off on holidays, and an expense account. Which is partially why surveys like this are so misleading.

Edit-
http://www.apega.ca/SalarySurvey/info.html

Also, HR submits the information for these surveys. I can assure you that my company didn't participate in it, and we have about 100 engineers. And I can tell you about what their salaries are.

Its becoming tiresome on Beyond to have to fight with people. I like a good argument. But christ, don't get so butthurt about it. Most people in Canada aren't earning $100k per year, that is what the numbers show. There are only so many "upper" positions available to engineers to move into. Some win. Some lose.

killramos
03-03-2015, 04:35 PM

First of all, if you look at the locations that the 2014 APEGGA survey got its info from, 4500+ of the respondents were in Calgary. Right off the bat, that skews the average WAY up. Thats like saying housing prices in Calgary are indicative of Alberta pricing, and it isn't. There is something like a $50k plus average spread between Calgary and Edmonton (edit-for housing prices, in case that wasn't clear what I was referring to).

While the survey is helpful, it is flawed. If you can't admit that, then your education hasn't helped you too much.

Second of all, don't get butthurt about "enginerds". I work with engineers all day long, we design and build things TOGETHER. Chill bro.

Third, I also suspect those results because of how the reporting is done. If you took everything my company pays me and assigned a cash value to it, I am also close to six figures. Earning $100k a year, but only getting weekends and 2 weeks of vacation is different than earning $100k a year, 5 weeks of vacation, all stats, additional time off on holidays, and an expense account. Which is partially why surveys like this are so misleading.

Maybe it has more to do with the fact that more engineers live and work in Calgary than edmonton?

nahh that couldn't be it.

The survey also captures non cash compensation, he just didnt quote it for you.

Also while i made not work for a union utopia like you do i get plenty of additional benefits.

You need to reassess who is delusional. Working as an engineer in Alberta is extremely lucrative. Get over it.

Disoblige
03-03-2015, 04:38 PM

First of all, if you look at the locations that the 2014 APEGGA survey got its info from, 4500+ of the respondents were in Calgary. Right off the bat, that skews the average WAY up.
I'm confused how you came to this conclusion. If you look at the "all industry average salary", that is not very far off from the Calgary value you are referring to. Explain?
Page 59, Fall 2014 issue, or look up the "Ranked Location - Engineering Base Salary" chart.

Strider
03-03-2015, 04:46 PM

Edit-
http://www.apega.ca/SalarySurvey/info.html

Also, HR submits the information for these surveys. I can assure you that my company didn't participate in it, and we have about 100 engineers. And I can tell you about what their salaries are.

Its becoming tiresome on Beyond to have to fight with people. I like a good argument. But christ, don't get so butthurt about it. Most people in Canada aren't earning $100k per year, that is what the numbers show. There are only so many "upper" positions available to engineers to move into. Some win. Some lose.

Not sure why you keep going on and on about me being butthurt when you're the one casting stones... I'm simply correcting your misinformation. :dunno:

Pretty obvious that the imbalance of respondents being from Calgary is because there's more Engineering jobs in Calgary. Doesn't mean an engineer in Fort Mac isn't making as much or more. There's also plenty of non O&G engineering companies in Calgary, which are included in the EPC category.

Since you've gone through the effort of pulling up the salary survey link you'll also see that there's an entirely separate table showing total compensation, and if you really want/care, a table showing annual vacation days (by years of experience).

Absolutely agreed that most people in Canada aren't making $100k. But you can rest assured that a large proportion of those who do are Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers. And sure, not every engineer is destined for senior management. But it doesn't take a senior management role for an engineer to make $100k. It barely takes more than a Junior Engineer role.

schurchill39
03-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Can we leave the "engineer vs. Ft. Mac vs. everyone else" conversation for another thread. Nearly every thread in this sub get sullied by this.

My company (service company in O&G) did a huge cut today. "Cut deep now so we don't have to do any cuts later". I guess it was a ripe-the-band-aid-off-fast type deal. A few of my friends went. They systematically went floor to floor

HiTempguy1
03-03-2015, 04:48 PM

Maybe it has more to do with the fact that more engineers live and work in Calgary than edmonton?

nahh that couldn't be it.

The survey also captures non cash compensation, he just didnt quote it for you.

Also while i made not work for a union utopia like you do i get plenty of additional benefits.

You need to reassess who is delusional. Working as an engineer in Alberta is extremely lucrative. Get over it.

I never said it wasn't :dunno: You can attack me for being in a union, I've worked non-union before to. Refer to my last post. You make it seem like I hate engineers, which I don't. I wanted to be one, and I ended up pursuing other ways of doing similiar work. Good on anyone for making mad skrilla.

"From the original data set of all 89 participating companies, there were 10,248 Engineering data points
and 748 Geoscientist data points considered prior to filtering."

Are you saying there are only 89 companies and 10,000 engineers in this province? Your survey is only as good as the data it gets.

Average vacation days is 14 for the first 8 years of service. From your survey data. That is awful, that is the minimum in this country.

And beyond all of this, if you really, really delve into the numbers, O&G (obviously skews this). And guess what? Most companies that replied were O&G.

So lets get this straight; your perception is skewed, IMO. The survey is naturally biased. Engineers make good money, true. But there are plenty who don't, and you usually don't here about it.

Ven
03-03-2015, 05:05 PM
100k was an earnings benchmark in the 80's. Holding onto this arbitrary low bar number is being used against you by the people that really make money.

Strider
03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Average vacation days is 14 for the first 8 years of service. From your survey data. That is awful, that is the minimum in this country.

So lets get this straight; your perception is skewed, IMO. The survey is naturally biased. Engineers make good money, true. But there are plenty who don't, and you usually don't here about it.
3 weeks vacation isn't so bad. I guess that's where the unions have us beat.

You're the only one who sounds biased around here, especially if you feel like you have to go off spouting this kind of misinformation

When the data clearly shows you're wrong.

Biased or un-biased as the survey may be, I know plenty of engineers in non O&G companies (infrastructure, municipal, transportation, etc) making over $100k. Hell, even the City of Calgary (https://recruiting.calgary.ca/psc/pdhr/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=205392&PostingSeq=1&SiteId=1) pays that much for an P Eng with 3 years of experience (so 7 years combined). But for every engineer with 10 years of experience, there's 28 with more experience (assuming they retire at 60). Far, far, far from 10 engineers making $60k for every 1 making $80k lol.

Originally posted by Ven
100k was an earnings benchmark in the 80's. Holding onto this arbitrary low bar number is being used against you by the people that really make money.
:werd: $200k is the new $100k. How many Beyond ballers there?

lasimmon
03-03-2015, 05:26 PM
^^ who cares? This thread is about job cuts.

Take your dick measuring contest to PMs.

suntan
03-03-2015, 05:40 PM
$200K? Me. Make $213K last year.

Strider
03-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
^^ who cares? This thread is about job cuts.

Take your dick measuring contest to PMs.
We need to measure now before we get laid off and it shrivels :cry:

nicknolte
03-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Layoffs happening slowly for the time being - a few employees each day

Everything indicates that mass layoffs will likely be occurring end of March once they reach the brunt of the contractors

This is at an Alberta-based producer

Canucks3322
03-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Just out of curiosity why is no one naming the companies where these lay offs are happening? Legal reasons?

ddduke
03-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Just out of curiosity why is no one naming the companies where these lay offs are happening? Legal reasons?

Doesn't really make you look good as an employee to air your company's dirty laundry on a public forum.

leftwing
03-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Doesn't really make you look good as an employee to air your company's dirty laundry on a public forum.

I think its mostly because people don't want beyond to know where they work.

03ozwhip
03-03-2015, 08:21 PM
^ come on strider everyone knows in alberta you will never break 100k a year by getting a degree. Fact.

All the money is in welding and rigging.

LOL hence my career as a welder.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/Screenshot_2014-12-18-13-21-01_zpskund0qlm.jpeg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/cory_mr2/media/Screenshot_2014-12-18-13-21-01_zpskund0qlm.jpeg.html)

Cos
03-03-2015, 08:27 PM

Xtrema
03-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/Screenshot_2014-12-18-13-21-01_zpskund0qlm.jpeg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/cory_mr2/media/Screenshot_2014-12-18-13-21-01_zpskund0qlm.jpeg.html)

Originally posted by leftwing

I think its mostly because people don't want beyond to know where they work.

Originally posted by ddduke

A bit from column A and a bit from column B

schurchill39
03-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Plus our employers have google and I'm sure right now anything could be used against us.

killramos
03-04-2015, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

Lol i wasnt trying to play down welding, but more play on the stereotypes on beyond and Alberta.

I know i sure as heck couldn't weld. You should see some of the nasty spot welds i did in university :barf:

freshprince1
03-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Well, I just asked for a raise. Interested to see how that plays out.

suntan
03-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Well, I just asked for a raise. Interested to see how that plays out. Well they could take you up the elevator and then throw you out a window.

freshprince1
03-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Well they could take you up the elevator and then throw you out a window.

Lol. True. Hoping for the best, though. Presented a good case.

Feruk
03-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Well, I just asked for a raise. Interested to see how that plays out.
Also did this. I like to think of it as "counter-cyclical employee investing." :)

Feruk
03-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Layoffs at Baker today. I assume just more of the large number they announced earlier this year...

freshprince1
03-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

Also did this. I like to think of it as "counter-cyclical employee investing." :)

Lol. I'm an Account Manager in software and have been making the company a lot of moolah for several years. When times get tough like this...Account Managers are being recruited pretty heavily. So it's not totally unwarranted. I like where I'm at and want to stay here, and stay engaged, plus I'm due for a "counter-cycle investment", so I went for it.

Brent.ff
03-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
no, and might be coming. We'll see
Small environmental consulting firm for upstream O&G..

Called it. Didn't expect id be one

HiTempguy1
03-08-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm leaving the past posts behind me as I did a good enough job derailing this thread.

On topic, we had 28/~500 employees laid off on Wednesday. Our individual group of 8 employees got taken out for a "we appreciate you and you aren't getting laid off anytime soon" lunch that day :rofl:

We have a lot of contracts that have come through, I know I will be gainfully employed through the fall. Quite a bit of OT in fact, it will be a good year.

woodywoodford
03-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Word on the street is Sanjel just shut down their Medicine Hat base

Graham_A_M
03-11-2015, 11:55 AM
^not surprised. All the units we were producing for the local market stopped many months ago. There has been just nothing for the local market, it's slow as molasses

ExtraSlow
03-11-2015, 12:25 PM
It seems to be more of a trickle than a flood at my Oilfield Service company. A couple here and there. Sounds like at least one of them was more to do with performance than headcount reduction.

killramos
03-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Pay cut and mandatory days off coming for summer months. Guess i should get ready to be part of some class action bullshit. :rofl:

flip side is apparently bonuses are not 0 this year :dunno: