PDA

View Full Version : Job leaving ettiquite

DeleriousZ
02-28-2015, 11:20 AM
So I recently started a new job at a company here in calgary, been there for a couple weeks now. However I was also just offered a position in another city which was where I wanted to end up living eventually. I'll be starting the new job in 2 weeks in the new city.

My question is should I let my current employer know right away, and take the risk of them terminating me? I want to try and not burn any bridges if for whatever reason I end up back here.. OR do I just work the rest of the 2 weeks without saying anything and say thxbye at the end and leave them high and dry?

speedog
02-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Ethically, what do you think the correct choice is?

mrsingh
02-28-2015, 11:31 AM
You would be showing far more etiquette and less likely to burn the bridge by just being honest. Let them know that during your job search you had applied in different cities, and an opportunity has come up in a place you'd really like to live. While they would likely be disappointed, I think it is something that most people can understand.

What city are you moving to?

UndrgroundRider
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
So I recently started a new job at a company here in calgary, been there for a couple weeks now. However I was also just offered a position in another city which was where I wanted to end up living eventually. I'll be starting the new job in 2 weeks in the new city.

My question is should I let my current employer know right away, and take the risk of them terminating me? I want to try and not burn any bridges if for whatever reason I end up back here.. OR do I just work the rest of the 2 weeks without saying anything and say thxbye at the end and leave them high and dry?

Giving notice is the right thing to do. On a personal level most bosses will understand your choice. Whether or not you burn the bridge really depends on what kind of position you're in. If it's a specialty position and they spent weeks/months hiring someone, then they are going to be royally pissed. If it's a non-skilled position or something that has high turnover anyway then they will not care.

jacky4566
02-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Not knowing the field of work, I would say its better to let them know right away. If you are filling a position it gives them 2 weeks to find someone instead of no time.

Disoblige
02-28-2015, 11:58 AM
No offense, but it really looks like you know what the right answer is, but you're trying to ask Beyond to somehow justify reasons why it might be OK to leave them high and dry. When is it ever OK to do that, unless they did something atrocious to you?

I would never do that to someone without giving them 2 weeks notice at a minimum.

Anyways, hope our comments lead you in the right direction.

DeleriousZ
02-28-2015, 12:00 PM
It's an engineering/drafting position. They didn't spend really any time or effort on training, mainly just a half a week wandering around the stop seeing how things are done then a week and a half of work with an hour or two of training. I don't think they've got a whole lot invested in me yet which is probably a good thing.

The only caveat to this whole thing to me is that I spent a good amount of time unemployed before getting hired here so the funds are hurting more than they usually would be. It would be nice to get that full 2 weeks of work to pay for the move and other things.

firebane
02-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Leave a job without proper notice and they can hold your pay. Ask me how I know :\

holden
02-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
It's an engineering/drafting position. They didn't spend really any time or effort on training, mainly just a half a week wandering around the stop seeing how things are done then a week and a half of work with an hour or two of training. I don't think they've got a whole lot invested in me yet which is probably a good thing.

The only caveat to this whole thing to me is that I spent a good amount of time unemployed before getting hired here so the funds are hurting more than they usually would be. It would be nice to get that full 2 weeks of work to pay for the move and other things.

If you give your employer 2 weeks notice, 99% of the time you are going to be paid for those last 2 weeks. The only question is whether they will have you actually work those 2 weeks or terminate you with 2 weeks pay.

Originally posted by firebane
Leave a job without proper notice and they can hold your pay. Ask me how I know :\

That sucks. Were you only in the position for a short time?

lasimmon
02-28-2015, 12:32 PM

Hold your pay for what? You are lawfully owed for days you work. THere is no requirement for notice in the employment standards.

CompletelyNumb
02-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Hold your pay for what? You are lawfully owed for days you work. THere is no requirement for notice in the employment standards.

:werd: they can't withhold anything.

topmade
02-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Some people think just because they were only working there for a short time two weeks isn't required, but it is, even if you worked 1 day. The whole point of notice is to give the employer time to look for another candidate. This happens all the time, just be honest with them and give them the two weeks notice and they can decide if its necessary of or not.

lasimmon
02-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Some people think just because they were only working there for a short time two weeks isn't required, but it is, even if you worked 1 day. The whole point of notice is to give the employer time to look for another candidate. This happens all the time, just be honest with them and give them the two weeks notice and they can decide if its necessary of or not.

It's not required, it's a courtesy.

lilmira
02-28-2015, 01:12 PM
Put yourself in their shoes and figure which way you would appreciate more and go from there. This applies not only to job situations.

Sugarphreak
02-28-2015, 01:14 PM

firebane
02-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Sorry hold was the wrong word.

Termination of employment by an employee

58(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), to terminate

employment an employee must give the employer a written

termination notice of at least

(a) one week, if the employee has been employed by the

employer for more than 3 months but less than 2 years, or

(b) 2 weeks, if the employee has been employed by the

employer for 2 years or more.

Division 1

Termination of employment by employee - payment of earnings

10(1) When an employee terminates employment by giving a

termination notice under section 58, the employer must pay the

employee’s earnings not later than 3 consecutive days after the last

day of employment.

(2) When an employee terminates employment and a termination

notice is not required, the employer must pay the employee’s

earnings not later than 10 consecutive days after the last day of

employment.

(3) When an employee is required to give a termination notice but

terminates employment without doing so, the employer must pay

the employee’s earnings not later than 10 consecutive days after the

date on which the notice would have expired if it had been given.

topmade
02-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

It's not required, it's a courtesy.

Yes sorry, wrong wording on my part but that's what I meant.

Unknown303
02-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Take a shit in your desk on the last day and bail.

blairtruck
02-28-2015, 01:44 PM
i know where i work. first aid and csts course's and such are needed. my employer pays for those courses and if you leave within the first 3 months. you have to cover the cost of the courses.

FixedGear
02-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Of course you should give them notice, I can't believe an adult would even ask this question.

speedog
02-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Sorry hold was the wrong word.

Termination of employment by an employee

58(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), to terminate

employment an employee must give the employer a written

termination notice of at least

(a) one week, if the employee has been employed by the

employer for more than 3 months but less than 2 years, or

(b) 2 weeks, if the employee has been employed by the

employer for 2 years or more.

Division 1

Termination of employment by employee - payment of earnings

10(1) When an employee terminates employment by giving a

termination notice under section 58, the employer must pay the

employee’s earnings not later than 3 consecutive days after the last

day of employment.

(2) When an employee terminates employment and a termination

notice is not required, the employer must pay the employee’s

earnings not later than 10 consecutive days after the last day of

employment.

(3) When an employee is required to give a termination notice but

terminates employment without doing so, the employer must pay

the employee’s earnings not later than 10 consecutive days after the

date on which the notice would have expired if it had been given.
Is this federal or provincial regulation because it really depends how the company the OP is currently working for is regulated.

DeleriousZ
02-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by holden

If you give your employer 2 weeks notice, 99% of the time you are going to be paid for those last 2 weeks. The only question is whether they will have you actually work those 2 weeks or terminate you with 2 weeks pay.

Within the probationary period at any job they can terminate you without notice or reasoning I'm pretty sure, and aren't required to pay you any severance.

HiTempguy1
02-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Your employer can't fire you if you give your two weeks notice. You taking another job does not give them a valid reason to fire you (unless you are in the probationary period, I suppose they could trump up an excuse).

Honestly, its a two way street; if you dont trust them to keep you on the two weeks/make a big deal out of it, then you owe them no such reciprocation.

Some people have an awfully big hard-on for the employer in this situation. At the end of the day, you need to do what is best for YOU, as your employer certainly will do that for themselves.

speedog
02-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Assuming OP is in a provincially regulated workplace, he is under no obligation to give his current employer any notice that he is quitting - page 4 of the 'Termination of Employment and Temporary Layoff' section of Alberta's Employment Standards (link (http://work.alberta.ca/documents/Termination-of-Employment-and-Temp-Layoff.pdf)).

Thus the decision of whether to provide notification to his current employer or not is totally in the OP's hands.

CanmoreOrLess
02-28-2015, 03:37 PM
cKUvKE3bQlY

Rat Fink
02-28-2015, 05:11 PM

HiTempguy1
02-28-2015, 05:48 PM
So basically, he should take all the risk? That makes zero sense :nut:

If a company says you've "burned bridges" while looking out for yourself, that probably isnt a company you want to deal with. Its the same old bullshit, its not "personal, just business" until they try and pull crap like this and make it personal.

C_Dave45
02-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Assuming OP is in a provincially regulated workplace, he is under no obligation to give his current employer any notice that he is quitting - page 4 of the 'Termination of Employment and Temporary Layoff' section of Alberta's Employment Standards (link (http://work.alberta.ca/documents/Termination-of-Employment-and-Temp-Layoff.pdf)).

Thus the decision of whether to provide notification to his current employer or not is totally in the OP's hands.
^Bingo.

An employer can't NOT pay you, just because you didn't "give notice". But in not giving notice, he can hold back the pay the proper number of days...but he still has to pay you all your wages, plus any holiday pay owed.

In construction, giving an employer notice that you are leaving will often result in the "Oh...sorry, we're slow this week..stay home". So unless you have a great working relation, or don't want to burn any bridges, giving notice will often bite you in the ass.

But construction and the whole "office type" sector (including O&G) are two completely different ball games.

In construction, an employer can lay you off without any notice whatsoever, due to shortage of work. And this happens ALL the time. They don't want to tell you "Oh there's only two weeks left of work", because they know you'll bail the very next day.

Khyron
02-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by speedog

He's in probation period - if he gives notice they may just say K-thx-Bye and not waste any more time investing in him. If he's actually productive right NOW then they might keep him. But that first 3 months is completely open. I'd be nervous giving more than a few days notice if I was OP.

Masked Bandit
03-01-2015, 07:34 AM
I don't think the employer is going to boot you before the end of your two weeks notice. It's not like you're leaving them for the competition down the street, you're moving to a different city.

FixedGear
03-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Leaving someone hanging without prior notice is a totally shitty thing to do, again I can't believe an adult would even consider doing this.

I wish I had data, I can guarantee there's a strong correlation between salary/education/age/job title and length of notice given before quitting.

nickyh
03-01-2015, 09:56 AM
After nearly two years on the job, one guy who reported to me quit on the day we had a loud disagreement about something that happened the night before.
It was the day before an industry deadline day and he left the team hanging, more than likely to try and screw me.

Needless to say, he burnt his bridges and I wish him luck trying to get another job in this industry based on how he left that day. If / when I get called for a reference on him, I will be fair but will let the future employer know on what terms he left.

How you leave speaks to your character, don't be that guy. Offer 2 weeks to show you are a stand up person.

HiTempguy1
03-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Leaving someone hanging without prior notice is a totally shitty thing to do, again I can't believe an adult would even consider doing this.

I wish I had data, I can guarantee there's a strong correlation between salary/education/age/job title and length of notice given before quitting.

Once again, answer me WHY he should assume the risk of being without a paycheque for two weeks if he HONESTLY feels like they may give him the boot?

Its a two way street. Respect is not taken, it is EARNED. It is a totally "shitty" thing for the company to fire him upon giving notice.

So answer the question. You guys are making a business decision personal.

Originally posted by nickyh

Needless to say, he burnt his bridges and I wish him luck trying to get another job in this industry based on how he left that day. If / when I get called for a reference on him, I will be fair but will let the future employer know on what terms he left.

Well that's a lawsuit waiting to happen. And beyond that, why would he possibly use you as a reference? He deserves to not be hired if he does :nut:

Cos
03-01-2015, 10:59 AM

Unknown303
03-01-2015, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

He's in probation period - if he gives notice they may just say K-thx-Bye and not waste any more time investing in him. If he's actually productive right NOW then they might keep him. But that first 3 months is completely open. I'd be nervous giving more than a few days notice if I was OP.

:werd:

Last time I tried to give 2 weeks notice to a company I was walked to my desk with a box loaded my stuff and sent on my way. Then for some reason hours already put into projects I worked on were being debated and they were trying to short me pay. I had to threaten to call the ALB to get the pay I deserved. I wish I just up and quit on them in one day.

Sugarphreak
03-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Unknown303
03-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Just wondering, was there any indication in advance that they would act like this?

It is just flat out unprofessional IMO

towards the end it was becoming more apparent how unprofessional they were. But i was still trying to be professional and do the right thing. Which was a mistake, I really didn't expect being put in a position were I had to call the ALB.

nickyh
03-01-2015, 11:37 AM
I can't say he quit without giving notice?
But I won't go into the details but I feel it's unfair he dumped his team in a deadline.

It will be hard for him to explain his leaving and getting a new job without using me or my boss as a reference if he wants to get a job back in industry, but good to know about about what I can / can't say.
I would not trash the guy as I know that is not professional and would probably only say I can confirm the dates he worked and that would speak volumes in my silence.

FixedGear
03-01-2015, 12:10 PM
I start a new job this summer - my current employer has known for about 8 months. I'd never leave a post without prior notification, unless maybe I worked at Taco Time or 7-11.

Cos
03-01-2015, 12:36 PM

HiTempguy1
03-01-2015, 12:57 PM

Respect is earned through trust. The company trusted him enough to hire him, and with their business. Giving them advanced notice is simply a demonstration of trust in the other direction.

We will have to agree to disagree. The trust they extended him at the beginning is shown by the individual showing up, doing a good job, and doing what is required/expected of them for the payment the company agreed with.

Again, you are making this personal, and it isn't personal. The company hires you and pays you money for X job. Simple as that.

I am not saying he SHOULDNT give notice. I've always gave notice, like you, as soon as possible. But if I did not trust my employer or they had shown prior dishonesty? Clearly this is a position the OP is in, or else why ask us? The trust is lacking. So he needs to "govern himself accordingly". If the company had to do layoffs right now, he'd be gone with zero notice.

If a company holds it against you for protecting yourself, thats not a company I want to work for :dunno:

And for the record, no project should be so poorly managed that out of a team, one person quitting the day before it is due kills it (unless said employee wasn't doing their job). That smacks of poor management, that has nothing to do with the employee.

FixedGear
03-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Again, you are making this personal, and it isn't personal. The company hires you and pays you money for X job. Simple as that.

people with careers don't think this way.

HiTempguy1
03-01-2015, 02:56 PM
People with any business sense do.

At the end of the day, you are a number to a company. Anyone that believes a company/organization places YOUR needs over it's own are hilariously naive. If the boss man says "layoff this many people", it doesnt matter if you are his best friend, you'll be gone if there is need.

Its business. Like I said, "govern yourself accordingly". If you fault someone for that... Well, there isnt anything further to be said. And for the record:

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/career.html

Anyone with a job that furthers them has a career. My career is interesting and varied, and I have no plans on not advancingin it :) Someday, I may start a new career, but that won't be for a long time.

Anyways OP, I hope you get it figured. Being without a paycheque when you need it is an awful thing, and I understand your concerns.

FixedGear
03-01-2015, 03:06 PM
you just sound like an ignorant kid, really. :dunno:

Sugarphreak
03-01-2015, 03:41 PM

leftwing
03-01-2015, 05:58 PM
In my opinion only OP can really answer his specific situation as he is the only one who knows the relationships he has. He says he has only been in this position for 2 weeks, so I can't imagine him doing extremely valuable or important work yet as he is still probably settling into this position. Quitting at this point probably wont affect the company to much aside from them needing to replace him, which could be as easy as calling the candidate he beat out for the position and asking if they are still available.

I also cant foresee a company just telling you to not come in anymore. From their perspective yeah, they may be pissed off at you, but trying to get back at you by firing you isn't going to help them in the least. As long as you show up and do your job they shouldn't care.

In my previous position I told my team lead that I was going to pursue a new position (although it was in the same company so slightly different situation), and he was aware that I was applying and interviewing for new positions, no hard feelings.

I have also been in a situation where as a fairly new employee at a company (less than a month) I gave zero notice before leaving. After working for a couple weeks I was told 2 days prior, that I would be heading out of town for an extended period of time. I told them during my hiring process that I could not leave town for the first few weeks as I was in the process of buying a home. When they told me I was leaving town I brought this up, and they basically told me to figure it out myself. The day before I was supposed to leave town I called HR and told them that I would not be reporting the following day and that I would no longer be working for them. Not a company I wanted to work for. Yepp burnt that bridge, not concerned in the least.

Every situation is different.

Good luck OP!

sabad66
03-01-2015, 08:46 PM
I think you are all forgetting that he has only been there 2 weeks so far. The dude most likely isn't even doing any valuable work yet.

If I were the company and you told me that you are leaving in two weeks after having only been there two weeks, I'd 100% walk you out regardless of how much I like you or not. There really is no point in keeping you around and paying you a salary at that point.

The only exception is that if you are somehow doing valuable work (i.e. work that is worth your salary). Maybe this is possible and even the norm in the drafting industry...not too sure. I suppose if you are experienced you can get in there and start producing drawings asap

sputnik
03-01-2015, 08:56 PM
Just give your notice and hope for a two week (albeit unpaid) vacation.

BrknFngrs
03-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
And for the record, no project should be so poorly managed that out of a team, one person quitting the day before it is due kills it (unless said employee wasn't doing their job). That smacks of poor management, that has nothing to do with the employee.

What kind of management experience are you drawing from in your career to come to this conclusion?

On a well managed team, every person has a part to play, and in that regard every person matters. Anytime somebody leaves unexpectedly, it impacts the rest of the team.

Exactly this. On multidisciplinary teams in particular you'll almost never be in a situation where someone leaving the day before a deadline, without notice, won't negatively impact the team and/or project.

8baller8
03-02-2015, 11:39 AM
They aren't going to hire him back regardless if he leaves. Give the two weeks, they'll walk you out...