PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger on a 6.2L V8

BDenali
03-01-2015, 06:53 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while and I wanna pull the trigger soon. I have a 2010 Sierra Denali 6.2L V8 and I wanna supercharge it. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with this combo?

I heard the Magnuson Supercharger and Whipple Superchargers are good.

Thoughts?

k1l4m
03-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Don't have an answer to your question but I'm sure Davenport Motorsports does.

BDenali
03-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Davenport is great and I have had work done on by them in the past. I will be talking to them but I thought it would be interesting to start a thread as well.

k1l4m
03-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Should be fun with the supercharger :thumbsup:

ToXicXxX
03-01-2015, 07:43 PM
When you said 6.2 I got all excited and ready to post the Weistec stage 3 kit... But... Not a M156 :(

FitterMike
03-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Davenport Supercharged my 6.2L in my Camaro and did a great job. Put down 537whp and 497tq.

BDenali
03-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Woooooo!! 537 is a nice number.. What manufacture did you go with?

LOLzilla
03-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Magnuson uses Eaton TVS superchargers. This is a OE equivalent unit and is present on cars like the Corvette Z06. In my experience with these units they are less loud.

Whipple and Kenne Bell would be my 2nd choices.

Comes down to price really. Any twin screw is going to be fun as hell. All three of those brands have been around since forever as well.

Canmorite
03-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by FitterMike
Davenport Supercharged my 6.2L in my Camaro and did a great job. Put down 537whp and 497tq.

My friend and I chatted with the owner of Davenport at World of Wheels for a good 45 minutes, seems like a great guy. The numbers his cars were putting down with simple bolt-ons was ridiculous.

BDenali
03-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I defiantly wont be making any decisions over night but I am looking forward to the Project. Probably hit up Davenport this weekend to see what they have in their shop. I post some pics and vids if and when I get her going..

never
03-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Are you planning on doing it yourself of paying someone to do it?

FitterMike
03-03-2015, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by BDenali
Woooooo!! 537 is a nice number.. What manufacture did you go with?

I used a Magnuson TVS2300

BDenali
03-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by never
Are you planning on doing it yourself of paying someone to do it?

I think I am going to tackle it myself with help from a buddy who has done it before. I am a Millwright by trade so I should be able to figure it out.

My company laid like 10 employees last week so I am a little scared to be spending big bucks right now. Probably try to find a used blower and do it myself in the spring.

I am also thinking about slapping a leveling kit on this to fit some bigger rubber, but have heard lots about vibration issues with leveling AWD vehicles. If any buddy has any experience with that please let me know, I am going to post a new thread in regards to that.

never
03-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by BDenali

I think I am going to tackle it myself with help from a buddy who has done it before. I am a Millwright by trade so I should be able to figure it out.

My company laid like 10 employees last week so I am a little scared to be spending big bucks right now. Probably try to find a used blower and do it myself in the spring.

I am also thinking about slapping a leveling kit on this to fit some bigger rubber, but have heard lots about vibration issues with leveling AWD vehicles. If any buddy has any experience with that please let me know, I am going to post a new thread in regards to that.

Then you should pick up a take off blower off of a CTS-V or ZL1. They are going for cheap on the vehicle specific forums/eBay and the blower will bolt right on...just not sure about front accessory alignment. But for how cheap you can get the blowers, you could buy all new brackets or accessories to get the correct pulley alignment.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-07-2015, 08:14 PM
I would personally never buy used forced induction, if it fails it can destroy your engine. Even a small failure can make huge destruction. I've seen a few swapped screw style blowers that produce very low volume due to wear.

With Davenport you at least get peace of mind for the blower at least. Parts warranty and a proper tune right off the bat goes a long way in my mind. I have seen a few of Davenports fuck ups, they had a lot of growing pains but its still the first place I think of when I talk about forced induction Chevs.

Graham_A_M
03-07-2015, 10:08 PM
^there are lots of companies that recondition used blowers, such as BDS (or Blower Drive Service.) If the op did buy one off of eBay, I'd send it there immediately to have it fully inspected and reconditioned if need be.

There are different styles of SC ' S. Id very very highly recommend the centrifugal type, as their a fraction of the maintenance of roots style (top loading) blowers. IDK, it's frustrating seeing people watch movies like the F & F and seeing that black charger, if only people knew how high maintenance those SC's were. Companies like GM have figured out how to have the roots style, and have it in such a way that they require next to no maintenance, but for the aftermarket companies, they typically require a rebuild every 10k or so, which is horse shit to me. Roots style blowers are idiocally high maintenance. Yes they look cool, and that's cute.... but wow are they high maintenance.

With centrifugal blowers, they are very low maintenance, and cost next to nothing after installed. Unfortunately, with the twin vane set up on roots style, the seals wear very quickly and constantly need attention. What I'd like to do is to see what GM has done on their twin vane blowers, but alas I've yet to take apart a cobalt ss blower or one from their other SC cars, such as the Cadi CTS -V. Or the ls9. Truth be told I'm a millwright too, but the proper tuning takes skills you probably don't have

never
03-08-2015, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I would personally never buy used forced induction, if it fails it can destroy your engine. Even a small failure can make huge destruction. I've seen a few swapped screw style blowers that produce very low volume due to wear.

With Davenport you at least get peace of mind for the blower at least. Parts warranty and a proper tune right off the bat goes a long way in my mind. I have seen a few of Davenports fuck ups, they had a lot of growing pains but its still the first place I think of when I talk about forced induction Chevs.

Then you're missing out on a lot of reasonably priced power adder opportunities. And I wouldn't consider a Davenport tune to be a proper tune.

mikestypes
03-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^there are lots of companies that recondition used blowers, such as BDS (or Blower Drive Service.) If the op did buy one off of eBay, I'd send it there immediately to have it fully inspected and reconditioned if need be.

There are different styles of SC ' S. Id very very highly recommend the centrifugal type, as their a fraction of the maintenance of roots style (top loading) blowers. IDK, it's frustrating seeing people watch movies like the F & F and seeing that black charger, if only people knew how high maintenance those SC's were. Companies like GM have figured out how to have the roots style, and have it in such a way that they require next to no maintenance, but for the aftermarket companies, they typically require a rebuild every 10k or so, which is horse shit to me. Roots style blowers are idiocally high maintenance. Yes they look cool, and that's cute.... but wow are they high maintenance.

With centrifugal blowers, they are very low maintenance, and cost next to nothing after installed. Unfortunately, with the twin vane set up on roots style, the seals wear very quickly and constantly need attention. What I'd like to do is to see what GM has done on their twin vane blowers, but alas I've yet to take apart a cobalt ss blower or one from their other SC cars, such as the Cadi CTS -V. Or the ls9. Truth be told I'm a millwright too, but the proper tuning takes skills you probably don't have

GM doesn't built their own superchargers, they are built by Eaton. Almost all aftermarket roots superchargers use an off the shelf Eaton rotor assembly in their own design cases. Magnussen, Edelbrock and Roush all use the exact same 2.3 (or 1.9L) rotor packs that GM and Ford use in their oem cars. They are all extremely low maintenance. They should not be compared to the 6-71 or 8-71 blowers that I think you are referring to needing constant attention.

A centrifugal on a truck would be silly because they really only increase power at the top end of the rpm bad, not at the bottom when you want it most in a truck.

FitterMike
03-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by never

Then you're missing out on a lot of reasonably priced power added opportunities. And I wouldn't consider a Davenport tune to be a proper tune.

Why wouldn't you consider a Davenport tune to be proper?

ramminghard
03-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by FitterMike

Why wouldn't you consider a Davenport tune to be proper? They tuned my Denali and it has been rock solid for ~50k.

blairtruck
03-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by mikestypes

GM doesn't built their own superchargers, they are built by Eaton. Almost all aftermarket roots superchargers use an off the shelf Eaton rotor assembly in their own design cases. Magnussen, Edelbrock and Roush all use the exact same 2.3 (or 1.9L) rotor packs that GM and Ford use in their oem cars. They are all extremely low maintenance. They should not be compared to the 6-71 or 8-71 blowers that I think you are referring to needing constant attention.

A centrifugal on a truck would be silly because they really only increase power at the top end of the rpm bad, not at the bottom when you want it most in a truck.
agreed. my harley/Lightning came with a 1.8L Eaton roots. they never need maintenance. im now running a 2.3L kenne bell twin screw. just check the oil.
450rwhp/536 Tq gets my truck up a going nicely.

If it were me i would get a whipple and slap that on my GMC. what are you going to use for inter cooler.

90_Shelby
03-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Davenport tunes for reliability and longevity as opposed to absolute peak power. Internet guys get butt hurt when they go on the forums and see that Tuner ABC from the US makes more power with the same parts.

Unfortunately Tuner ABC doesn't have to stand behind their tune, and warranty the broken parts if things go sour. By no means am I saying that your guaranteed to have a failure with a mail tune but they'll tune more aggressively to squeeze everything out of it.

Davenport has been around for a long time and they have been very successful for a reason but they're not for everybody.

never
03-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Davenport's tunes are basically boxed/one for all tunes. All cars with the same mods will get the same tune, regardless of what the car needs. And if you're running a 6L80/90, their trans tune work is lacking. Minor tweaks to a couple Davenport built/tuned Vs have picked up a a fair bit of MPH. And the tunes were still on the conservative side.

But if you really want a warranty and a car to cruise around, you'll be fine. Unfortunately around here, you really don't have many good options unless you want to get HPT/EFIL and tune remotely.