PDA

View Full Version : Nenshi Wants a Jury Trial

rx7_turbo2
03-02-2015, 08:12 AM
What's the likelihood of finding an unbiased Calgarian to sit on the jury :rofl:

A lawyer for Mayor Naheed Nenshi will urge Monday that a jury hear the defamation case that home builder Cal Wenzel brought against Nenshi for comments in the 2013 mayoral campaign.

Wenzel filed a lawsuit after Nenshi made on-air remarks suggesting the Shane Homes founder had broken campaign finance laws, and that his campaign activities were like something out of the Godfather crime drama movies. Nenshi has vowed to defend himself by arguing his comments were fair and justified.

The case has been quietly proceeding since Wenzel filed it in November 2013, including at least one pre-trial questioning of Nenshi. According to the court clerk’s office, Nenshi’s lawyer has filed an application for a jury trial, which will be heard Monday.

Wenzel is seeking $6 million in damages. Canada’s highest-ever defamation award was $3 million, granted after a trial by jury. Most defamation cases are heard by a judge.

jdmXSI
03-02-2015, 09:04 AM
I wonder if that means that Nenshi thinks that wenzel has a case and the judge might rule in his favor?

Sugarphreak
03-02-2015, 09:12 AM

Tik-Tok
03-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
What's the likelihood of finding an unbiased Calgarian to sit on the jury :rofl:

There's lots of people neutral towards Nenshi, they just don't speak up about him. If you look at Beyonds history, it's only 3-4 people constantly bashing him, and 2-3 peeps defending/praising.

He's done a lot I disagree with, but that's pretty much the same as every politician I've ever seen. At least he hasn't unabashedly put himself in the pockets of his rich friends, unlike his predecessor. (unless he's a co-owner of Bow cycle or something, hahah)

Originally posted by jdmXSI
I wonder if that means that Nenshi thinks that wenzel has a case and the judge might rule in his favor?

Probably, but at the same time, if I were ever on trial I rather have a jury who might be capable of a reasonable discussion behind closed doors, rather than a single person who might just be having a bad week and take it out on me.

spikerS
03-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

Guaranteed.

If a jury trial is granted, I doubt you will find 14 people that would be impartial, nevermind impartial enough to weigh the evidence and apply the law without bias one way or the other. However, if tried by judge, there could be backroom meetings that would apply pressure to have things done a certain way, if it is not being done already.

On one hand, I really want to see Nenshi put in his place and fed a slice of humble pie. On the other hand, if he does lose, this city is on the hook for it and already is because the city is footing the lawyer bills. No matter how this plays out, Nenshi is off scott free to run his mouth some more and the tax payers are on the hook. The only person in all this that has something to gain is Cal Wenzel.

-relk-
03-02-2015, 09:49 AM
I am not a Nenshi fan, but this lawsuit is ridiculous. There is video of Wenzel speaking about breaking these laws, so how on earth is this a defamation case. It is my understanding that in order to fall as a defamation, the information must be false.

FraserB
03-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by -relk-
I am not a Nenshi fan, but this lawsuit is ridiculous. There is video of Wenzel speaking about breaking these laws, so how on earth is this a defamation case. It is my understanding that in order to fall as a defamation, the information must be false.

Even if that is the case, the application for a jury trial should be denied since it will be impossible to get an impartial jury assembled. If it is granted, you might as well just throw the suit out right then since the outcome will already be sealed in the jurors minds.

rage2
03-02-2015, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
So instead of a 20 million dollar deficit, we will have a 26 million plus lawyer fees?

I am surprised more of these don't come up given the tendency he has to spout off about people with no real evidence. He isn't Joe Blow blogger, he is the mayor ffs
Nenshi says he's paying his own legal bills on this matter.

What Wenzel did doesn't break any laws. It's what every single special interests group would do to convince voters to finance and back a candidate that they favor. Nenshi says that Wenzel donated the max, and allowed the use of company trucks, and the trucks usage technically has a value, and thus exceeding donation limits. Certainly a grey area if you're going to nitpick, but hardly illegal.

With that being said, it's a murky area, it could swing either way depending on which lawyer has a better argument.

mazdavirgin
03-02-2015, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Nenshi says that Wenzel donated the max, and allowed the use of company trucks, and the trucks usage technically has a value, and thus exceeding donation limits. Certainly a grey area if you're going to nitpick, but hardly illegal.

I'm still going with shady as fuck though. It's about time rich jerks like this guy got called out for trying to manipulate the electoral system. Money should not give you a disproportionate advantage when it comes to politics or ensure you special treatment. That just breads corruption.

One reason why I could see them wanting a jury trial is simply because of how slimy Wenzel appears to the general public and how slimy he looks in those videos...

codetrap
03-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Nenshi says he's paying his own legal bills on this matter. Has this been verified? I keep seeing people claiming that the City is, and other people claiming that he's paying his own bills.

rage2
03-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
I'm still going with shady as fuck though. It's about time rich jerks like this guy got called out for trying to manipulate the electoral system. Money should not give you a disproportionate advantage when it comes to politics or ensure you special treatment. That just breads corruption.
That's precisely why the limits are in place. It prevents "rich jerks" from being able to outfund other candidates. The only thing "shady" that was done was the fact that Wenzel suggested, not forced his employees to go and volunteer for the campaign. Again, this is nothing new, every special interests groups does the exact same thing behind closed doors. The rules specifically allow volunteer work. The nitpicked issue is that these volunteers drove work trucks instead of their own vehicles.

One reason why I could see them wanting a jury trial is simply because of how slimy Wenzel appears to the general public and how slimy he looks in those videos...
If it wasn't for Nenshi's comments and fight with the homebuilders, you would have no idea who Wenzel is. Comments like yours is why Wenzel might actually have a case here.

Originally posted by codetrap
Has this been verified? I keep seeing people claiming that the City is, and other people claiming that he's paying his own bills.
It's being published in the news, so I'd assume it's been verified.

rx7_turbo2
03-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Can you clarify what actions Wenzel took were illegal?
Has Wenzel been charged for these illegal acts?

I'm not aware of any criminal activity by Wenzel (in terms of Nenshi's allegations anyway). If there is please bring it to our attention.

I've never met someone who sits on the fence when it comes to Nenshi, people either seem to think he walks on water, or think he's a complete fraud incapable of keeping his yap shut. I really believe unbiased opinions on the topic of Nenshi are few and far between.

I also believe the request for trial by jury is telling. If from a legal standpoint Nenshi thought his case was rock solid trial by judge would be his preference, obviously. He knows damn well despite best efforts the likelihood in this city of getting a pro Nenshi jury is fairly high. This request is a no brainer for Nenshi and his legal council.

lasimmon
03-02-2015, 11:33 AM

I would actually think the General Public would be more on Wenzel's side than Nenshi's in this case.

DENZILDON
03-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I would actually think the General Public would be more on Wenzel's side than Nenshi's in this case.

You sure about that? The mayor who did very good during the floods of 2013.

mazdavirgin
03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
If it wasn't for Nenshi's comments and fight with the homebuilders, you would have no idea who Wenzel is. Comments like yours is why Wenzel might actually have a case here.

Pretty sure this is what did the trick... The leaked video and not Nenshi are really what made this story.

http://globalnews.ca/news/505627/exclusive-watch-the-entire-18-minute-secretly-taped-video-of-cal-wenzel-talking-to-a-meeting-of-developers/

Lex350
03-02-2015, 12:26 PM

What Wenzel did is small peanuts to what goes on with the big commercial developers. This is why I laugh at people getting so freaked out about this.

Lex350
03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

You sure about that? The mayor who did very good during the floods of 2013.

You mean the mayor that stood in front of the cameras and took credit over the people that actually did shit?...then OK

mazdavirgin
03-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

What Wenzel did is small peanuts to what goes on with the big commercial developers. This is why I laugh at people getting so freaked out about this.

Oh don't get me wrong I have no illusions about how crooked the whole game is... However he's the only one who got himself filmed effectively discussing how all he had to do was "buy" 8 votes on council so things will go his way. :rofl:

DENZILDON
03-02-2015, 12:57 PM

You mean the mayor that stood in front of the cameras and took credit over the people that actually did shit?...then OK

If that's what you think then..... OK

codetrap
03-02-2015, 01:34 PM
You mean the mayor that stood in front of the cameras and took credit over the people that actually did shit?...then OK Really? Can you show some video posts of him doing that? I don't remember him doing that. It could be. I was hopped up on morphine at the time of the big floods and was seeing all sorts of stuff so it's possible. I'm sure all the footage is on file somewhere.

-relk-
03-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Can you clarify what actions Wenzel took were illegal?
Has Wenzel been charged for these illegal acts?
I was mistaken in regards to the illegality of it all, he did not in fact break any laws upon reading into it some more.

In my eyes, this whole situation is similar to me being recorded saying I am going to sell a kilo of coke to anyone who wants it, and then proceed to not do it, only to go back and sue someone who comes out and calls me a drug dealer.

Feruk
03-02-2015, 02:54 PM
That's his job. He's the figurehead who directs and keeps people informed in an emergency.

Your argument is the same as arguing that Obama should've been out there on the day they started bombing IS and dropping the bombs himself instead of talking about it on TV.

I don't think it'd be that hard to find unbias jurors. I'd be one... I have no real care or love for either mayor or developer. I'd be surprised if lots of Calgarians didn't care either.

spikerS
03-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

That's his job. He's the figurehead who directs and keeps people informed in an emergency.

Your argument is the same as arguing that Obama should've been out there on the day they started bombing IS and dropping the bombs himself instead of talking about it on TV.

I don't think it'd be that hard to find unbias jurors. I'd be one... I have no real care or love for either mayor or developer. I'd be surprised if lots of Calgarians didn't care either.

wait a second here. I thought he was just one of 9 votes...

MGCM
03-02-2015, 03:23 PM
give them boxing gloves, put them both in a ring, forget all this legal waste of resources and let em fight it out like men.

codetrap
03-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
wait a second here. I thought he was just one of 9 votes... LOL. Are they mutually exclusive? From what I can tell, I think we have a Weak Mayor/Strong Council system here in calgary. However, it would be nice to see an actual job description with some metrics attached to it so we can dispense with all the "I feel he's doing a horrible job vs I feel he's doing an awesome job" crap.

This is where I pulled those descriptions from btw...
http://www.ehow.com/about_5382187_job-duties-mayor.html

Edit:.. interesting.. I didn't even know this existed!
http://www.calgarymayor.ca