PDA

View Full Version : Paging MD's: Double Knee Surgery - Trochleoplasty

zipdoa
03-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Has anyone had this relatively rare procedure done?

I dislocated my patella for, literally, the 8 or 9th time on my right leg. I've done the same thing to the left knee just as many times. I'm tired of having this issue, and despite developing an imperssive set of vastus medialis, good hip flexibility and a 10-rep pistol squat, the troclear groove is just too shallow and the patella dislocates easily.

I'm trying to get my Carte Vital in France right now, as it appears this is a more common procedure in Europe. Any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Mibz
03-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Just cut off your legs at the knees and become a normal-sized human being.

zipdoa
03-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Just cut off your legs at the knees and become a normal-sized human being.

I have considered going full 'Pistorius' - only with less murder and more aesthetics.

jwslam
03-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
I dislocated my patella for, literally, the 8 or 9th time on my right leg.
Hmm yea I've got the same issue with my left knee and just figured I'd live with it. I fear one day I'll kick a soccer ball and my whole calf comes flying off LOL

(at least I think that's what happened based on what I googled after you posted this, both a chiropractor and my GP told me it was nothing but after the 3rd time I finally figured out how to snap it back into place myself... and to think I spent months limping around...)

/subscribed

Mibz
03-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
I have considered going full 'Pistorius' - only with less murder and more aesthetics. Until they make Quattro blades, I don't see you following through.

heavyfuel
03-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Before you go all-out and head to France, get a referral to see Dr. Heard in Banff. He's among the best orthopedic surgeons in Alberta, if not the best.

sexualbanana
03-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Until they make Quattro blades, I don't see you following through.

With the less murder part?

msommers
03-05-2015, 01:11 AM
There are Drs on the forum here but I'll ask Calgary resident friends who they'd recommend to speak with. I feel like there was someone out in Canmore.

AndyL
03-05-2015, 06:32 AM
U of c sports med knee clinic...

But unfortunately with this one - its probably going to go the way of mine... Took a massive blowout / sublux where I tore the sh*t out of all the ligaments - and massive bruising leaving me zimmered and non weight bearing for a month... Ligaments healed up tighter and its been good since. No surgery required.

Now if I could get my right to do the same since its been starting down that path.

zipdoa
03-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I have an Appt @ U of C AKIC for the 17th. I will likely end up being referred to Dr. Heard (as per HeavyFuel), but my concern is that a trochleoplasty, specifically a trochlear groove deepening, is a pretty rare surgery as is. From the medical journals I've found online, it's a more common procedure in Europe, and is rarely performed in NA.

This isn't a one time issue. I've been dislocating my patella since I was a teenager. It prevents me from enjoying a lot of the activities I'd like to participate in, and all the strengthening/mobility in the world don't make up for a shallow trochlear groove.

What they do is grind out the trochlear groove to make it deep enough that the bone provides stability to the patella, so under heavy rotational forces, the ligaments aren't overwhelmed and the bone is providing a cupping effect:

http://noyeskneeinstitute.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Fig.-53.jpg

SIC1
03-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Before you go all-out and head to France, get a referral to see Dr. Heard in Banff. He's among the best orthopedic surgeons in Alberta, if not the best.

http://www.banffsportmed.ca/
http://www.banffsportmed.ca/our-team

Originally posted by msommers
There are Drs on the forum here but I'll ask Calgary resident friends who they'd recommend to speak with. I feel like there was someone out in Canmore.

Dr. Andy Reed He doesn't do the family practice at Ridgeview in canmore, but he is a well known MD in the Bow Valley, and even more badass ultrarunner (canmoremd.com)

mr2mike
03-05-2015, 09:13 AM
What I don't get is every surgeon is "the best". Where are the worst ones?

The best is very subjective IMO. Sorry, nothing to add.

Anyone I know with double knee surgeries, they do one at a time to allow for mobility.

zipdoa
03-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Anyone I know with double knee surgeries, they do one at a time to allow for mobility.

I'm thinking fuck that. I'd rather get both done and be handicapped for 12 weeks. I'll play murderball while I recover!

zipdoa
03-18-2015, 07:23 AM
Had my appt with AKIC @ U of C yesterday. Got a referral to see Dr. Laurie Hiemstra within two months, and will be getting a CT scan before then.

I failed at getting a photo of my current X-ray, but I dislocated my patella with enough force to tear off a piece of bone, which is now floating around inside my knee :thumbsup: