PDA

View Full Version : Ford Fiesta vs. Honda Fit

msommers
03-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Helping the gf find a used (or potentially new) vehicle. Needs are kinda open but it must be a hatch, good on gas and most importantly reliable. Budget I think honestly 15k is realistic but she seems ok moving up to 20k at most for something new if it was worthwhile to keep long-term and last.

We went out to test both of these vehicles but unfortunately not in very good comparisons. The Honda Fit was a used manual. She drives manual normally and she said it feel sloppy and already worn out - is a 2013. Otherwise I'm pretty surprised by this car, feels huge inside but bumps don't get soaked up as nicely as the Fiesta.

The Fiesta was brand new and an auto (again not a great comparison). She really liked the ride and actually came away saying that she is surprised she liked it so much. I asked why and she had the notion that Fords weren't reliable. But I was under the impression that recently Fords had really picked up their reliability in the last 5years.

Well my buddy has an F150 that is constantly in the shop for a parasitic draw, one they cannot find and according to him quite common. Then I googled about the Fiesta's transmission and lots of issues seemed to pop up. Negatives about the Fit I can't really find much of so far.

Does anyone have any long/short-term experience with either of these? What do you like/not like about them?

xnvy
03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
The only issue widely reported on the Fiesta forum is the transmission. I haven't heard about any electrical issues with them. A TSB was given for incorrectly wired aux jacks on cars with 2014 build dates, like mine.

I love my Fiesta. It's well equipped for a base model car, heated seats and interior accent lighting and such. Also has all the standard voice controls that come with Ford Sync. Huge windshield makes visibility amazing. The A-pillars don't get in my way like they usually do. The car handles great too. Gets great mileage, I average 6.6 L/100km with the 3 cylinder Ecoboost. The Ecoboost only comes in manual though so I guess you'd be stuck with the 4-cylinder. It's and the Mazda 2 are the class leaders IMO. I haven't had the Fiesta long, only since Halloween last year, but haven't had any issues with it. Also has 6 cupholders but only seats 5 at most :D.

TL;DR Automatic transmission is the only problem with the Fiesta.

Sugarphreak
03-04-2015, 08:48 PM

ddduke
03-04-2015, 09:48 PM
I had a Fiesta as a rental while on vaca last week, the build quality was pure shit and I felt like I was in a kids toy, the tranny was slipping like a motherfucker, you felt every bump in the road and it was so cramped in the front seat that I was touching elbows with my girl. I would never even consider buying one of those pieces of shit. My girl doesn't know anything about cars and even mentioned how cheap it seemed.

My brother owns a fit and I find it superior in every way, especially when it comes to comfort and room.

InRich
03-04-2015, 10:36 PM
You cant compare a HONDA vs FORD... The Hondas dont have the styling anymore, but quality wise, their amazing. I still remember my 02 Accord. Not a single problem from new - 193km. I miss that car ;(

AE92_TreunoSC
03-04-2015, 10:42 PM
The Fiestas have a lot more design appeal, and they feel more high tech inside.

The quality will show up over time, the simple Honda will outlast almost anything, and it will retain its value much better. Sure the Ford has more buttons and creature comforts but thats more to go wrong, and they do go wrong.

The new 5 door Toyota Yaris is pretty good looking and is at par with Honda Fit for reliability and quality.

A2VR6
03-04-2015, 10:43 PM
If you are looking at usability and space the Fit wins hands down. The Fit has loads more room than the Fiesta and the magic seats are a huge plus that the Fit has vs. the Fiesta.

I find the GD (07-08) and GE (09 - 14) Fit quite fun to drive but it's nowhere near as fun as the Fiesta ST (I havent driven a lower trim Fiesta however). If utility is the primary driver and you arent looking at a ST i'd say get the Fit. I had a chance to look at the new GK (15+) Fit and the interior is worlds better than the previous gens and it still drives quite well while keeping the same versatility.

CanmoreOrLess
03-04-2015, 10:54 PM
I've plenty of seat time in Fits 2008-2014, they are trouble free and other than scheduled service they run like a Honda should. The negatives are:

-loud at highway speeds (110 KMs/hr). Like 72 dB plus, that is loud. I've tested this in a 2008 and 2014 on the same road, same day.
-difficult to carry on a front seat conversation at highway speeds. Forget those in the back, you'll not hear them.
-passing power is not good at all. God help you if it is on a hill of any sort.
-I have 108 HP at sea level, we are far from the sea Billy and you need more HP at our elevation.
-no heated seats.
-stereo is not Bluetooth friendly.

+trouble free.
+rear seats fold in so many directions, fit tons of stuff in there.
+front seats are good for six hours of comfort.
+economical overall
+winter tires are needed and makes the car trouble free.

Personally I'd look at a Subaru Impreza for the AWD and heated seats. I'd trade fuel economy for traction and the extra HP. Or perhaps a VW Golf (Consumer Reports recommends), Hyundai, etc. The Honda is great, but the highway road noise, lack of HP, no heated seats, no sunroof, etc are fairly large negatives to overcome. Also, the Subaru is a much safer car, the Fits really are iffy in the front overlap accidents, I think that is what it is called.

Redlyne_mr2
03-04-2015, 11:03 PM
VW Golf tsi trendline :)

Thales of Miletus
03-04-2015, 11:23 PM
The Honda Fit is a very good car. And lots of cup holders.

For $1,800 you can get bumper to bumper coverage for 8 years from when the car was first sold.

They are not great on hill. But fortunately we are flatlanders.

A2VR6
03-04-2015, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I've plenty of seat time in Fits, they are trouble free and other than scheduled service they run like a Honda should. The negatives are:

-loud at highway speeds (110 KMs/hr). Like 72 dB plus, that is loud. I've tested this in a 2008 and 2014 on the same road, same day.
-difficult to carry on a front seat conversation at highway speeds. Forget those in the back, you'll not hear them.
-passing power is not good at all. God help you if it is on a hill of any sort.
-I have 108 HP at sea level, we are far from the sea Billy and you need more HP at our elevation.
-no heated seats.
-stereo is not Bluetooth friendly.

+trouble free.
+rear seats fold in so many directions, fit tons of stuff in there.
+front seats are good for six hours of comfort.
+economical overall
+winter tires are needed and makes the car trouble free.

Personally I'd look at a Subaru Impreza for the AWD and heated seats. I'd trade fuel economy for traction and the extra HP. Or perhaps a VW Golf (Consumer Reports recommends), Hyundai, etc. The Honda is great, but the highway road noise, lack of HP, no heated seats, no sunroof, etc are fairly large negatives to overcome. Also, the Subaru is a much safer car, the Fits really are iffy in the front overlap accidents, I think that is what it is called.

The 2015+ redesign adds a few of the items you mention above that the older cars didnt have.

Black Gts
03-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Having driven neither I'm chubby for a fiesta although probably the St lol. You're welcome.

Sorath
03-05-2015, 01:58 AM
fit is my choice

MGCM
03-05-2015, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

I agree, the new Impreza for a basic everyday car is gold. I drove a base auto with basic non studded winter tires on Ghost Lake and it was exceedingly well planted. You want safety all year round, Subaru Impreza..........end thread?:thumbsup:

Rat Fink
03-05-2015, 07:53 AM

msommers
03-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Thanks a lot for everyone's comments. This definitely confirms what I was finding yesterday googling about the auto transmission. Rat Fink, what is your experience with manual transmissions on these cars? She has a manual now and on her previous car, and I can tell she really wants to keep her manual tranny. But if these are equally as shit or have their own set of problems then we'll just avoid the Ford brand all together for this price-point. Moreover, I've passed on your comments to friend about the F150 draw, thanks man!

The car's main purpose will be driving around town but there will be a lot of highway driving over the next couple years between Edmonton and Calgary and I'm thinking that taking her car instead of my 4Runner would save a lot in gas over the long run. But if road noise is really that bad that is rather disheartening to hear. A2VR6, is this something that was added to redesign? When I spoke to the salesman at Calgary Honda about any changes or revisions, he was basically just saying heated seats and the user interfaces but the latter seemed to only apply to the top-end model.

The lack of power isn't a huge concern given the driving environments, no mountain passes for this thing.

All that said I initially was pushing her into an entry level Subaru but we were finding that for something newer and lower km's, it was already busting the budget. I'll try to dig a little more to see what we find.

If we go used I'd like to keep it 2011+ to retain some warranty. For new, I think her options are really limited and the Fiesta option is sounding a bit iffy right now for something that needs to be a reliable DD. Whatever vehicle she does get, she's agreed to keep some money aside for winter tires (:clap: )

Again thanks for your guys' insights.
-Matt

Darkane
03-05-2015, 12:20 PM
I'd go new fit. Brand new drivetrain for 2015 solves a lot of the power issue.

130hp and new 6sp manual. Should be decent.

msommers
03-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Wow that's quite the boost! Hmm we'll see, a user just PM'd me about his 2014 and definitely seems worthwhile looking into.

I think we should test drive a 2015 as well if there are more than just creature comfort updates that I was led to believe from the Honda salesman. Anyone recommend somewhere other than Calgary Honda??!

speedog
03-05-2015, 12:43 PM
So if you're looking at the sub-compact size class of car, what about the Mazda 2, Chevrolet Sonic, Toyota Yaris, Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent to name a few competitors in the Fit/Fiesta size class? All seem to have their pluses and minuses - certainly the newest Fit seems to be the class leader in many aspects but others might warrant a look.

msommers
03-05-2015, 12:56 PM
And you're absolutely right. I was under the impression these were the two class leaders for this segment but it seems my info is dated and I haven't kept up. The Accent might definitely be worth looking at, along with the Yaris.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1204_economy_five_door_hatchback_comparison/fit_yaris_sonic_accent.html

gogreen
03-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Wow that's quite the boost! Hmm we'll see, a user just PM'd me about his 2014 and definitely seems worthwhile looking into.

I think we should test drive a 2015 as well if there are more than just creature comfort updates that I was led to believe from the Honda salesman. Anyone recommend somewhere other than Calgary Honda??!

I got my '14 Fit at Airdrie Honda and would recommend them. The sales manager Patrick was great to deal with and knew his stuff.

What I like are the magic seats and overall cargo room, the fuel economy, and low cost of maintenance. The rear seat passenger room is pretty decent too, and the heater works surprisingly well. And it sounds dumb but the cupholders in front of the vents are pretty awesome. :)

It could use a bit more power (I think the factory rating is actually 117 hp) and I wish the paint were a little thicker, though I'm not sure how others in this class compare in that respect. Mine came with 3M on the bumper, lower hood, and mirrors, but the a-pillars and leading edge of the roof tend to take a beating.

I'm up to about 16,000 km trouble-free, other than the rear wiper arm coming loose and having to be re-tightened.

CanmoreOrLess
03-05-2015, 01:35 PM
With all the road trips to and from Edmonton, why not consider a diesel Jetta or Golf or Cruz (No hatch BOO! but a diesel...). One that is lightly used with some warrantee remaining. More than a few on Kijiji fit the bill and within your price range. With the Alberta economy in the tank, you can really negotiate a better deal than a just a few months ago.

speedog
03-05-2015, 01:36 PM
I know my Chev Sonic isn't a class leader by any means but it is quite quiet on the highway even at 145-150kph, surprisingly quiet. Mileage isn't bad, maybe 37-45mpg on the highway - really dependent on what my right foot is doing. In the city, 31-34mpg without even trying. Handling is better than anything I've ever had and the ride is surprisingly quite good. Negatives - could use more power, more cup holders, PITA fog light replacement (through the fender liner) but in reality, for a small commuter I can't complain. It's a very fun car to drive and I do remember getting 42mpg at 130kph with 4 people in the car from Didsbury to Calgary.

Now I hear that the Feista and Fit are even more fun to drive but I'm a Bowtie kind of guy and thus, the Sonic. As far as durability, my Sonic has absolutely zero issues that have appeared and surprisingly tough, got rear ended by a full size Chevy van a month ago and got out expected a lot of damage considering how hard the hit was and all it was was a scuff mark and a dislodged bumper cap. Most people will get the turbo/manual transmission job, I do too much Deerfoot rush stuff and am quite happy with my NA automatic - the only thing that surprises me is that Chevrolet has offered no tuned up versions like Ford has done with the Fiesta ST and the Sonic RS, some suspension work and look good add-ons but absolutely no more power than you can get in any other Sonic.

Maybe you can get some honest reviews of other sub-compact owners on here.

Xtrema
03-05-2015, 02:02 PM
I love last gen Fit when I was testing them. Never tested the new Fit but being it's the first model ever built by the brand new Mexican plant, and quality concern delay its debut last year (http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/23/2015-honda-fit-delayed-until-june-quality-checks/), jury is still out on reliability.

A2VR6
03-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by msommers

A2VR6, is this something that was added to redesign? When I spoke to the salesman at Calgary Honda about any changes or revisions, he was basically just saying heated seats and the user interfaces but the latter seemed to only apply to the top-end model.

Cant really say for sure. I did drive the 2015 on Stoney and didnt find the wind/road noise to be too bad (granted, I didnt our 2013 to have excessive wind/road noise either). Tires are a huge contributor however. Stock tires are fairly quiet, but the studded winters we run on ours really contribute a fair bit to road noise.

What I can say is that even on a mid range model (ie. LX) you get the heated seats and lot of features that never were available on the top 2014 Fit. Even the base DX comes with a rear view camera if I recall correctly. No matter what trim you go with the interior is worlds better than the old generation and you get larger motor.

CanmoreOrLess
03-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Looks like a Nissan takes this mega test of all the subcompacts:

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-subcompact-cars/?all=1

Not on my radar at all, Nissan? Welcome back.

msommers
03-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the added info guys!

Nissan wasn't really on my radar either, and given she has a Nissan now and wants something else I think badge alone might be a hard sell but who knows! I'll look more into this.

The Hyundai Accent seems to have a hit-or-miss issue with engine ping, even while running premium while other users report nothing and run regular.

The VW was one I think where maintenance might be cost prohibitive but also the entry cost and the year/km's that go along with something that she can afford; the km's on these diesels are likely all highway but still pushing it. I think the same applies to the Subaru (cost of entry) but overall I would prefer if she got one of these. When we initially started talking her ceiling was 15k and only if it's new would she budge closer to 20k, which might be honestly pushing her. So I'd still like to hover around 15k.

She's pretty set on getting a hatch and would prefer manual. Just something reliable where I can change the oil and not much else needs fixing (much like my 4Runner). Surprisingly even colour doesn't matter to her as long as the price is right.

Overall I think we might have to make a list and just spend a day banging them out. I forget what car shopping is like, dealing with sales people is mentally exhausting.

Honda Fit DX/LX
Nissan Versa S
Toyota Yaris
Hyundai Accent
Subaru Impreza 2.0i base
Golf TDI

xnvy
03-05-2015, 05:36 PM
If you're getting a manual hatch then I wouldn't worry too much about the Fiesta as the 5 speed has no glaring issues. It and the Mazda 2 generally top the category when it comes to being fun to drive. Honda wins hands down on practicality though. The Fiesta isn't as practical due to the small rear head and leg room as well as the inabilty of the seats to fold down flat but I don't carry much stuff besides a backpack and some hockey equipment. I do hate the interior materials on the dashboard though. Why the hell is it not smooth?!? The bluetooth on the Fiesta is fine but having to use voice controls gets annoying when other people are in the car and they don't shut the hell up. Also rarely (once a month) the car decides to "index" your phone for 5 minutes rendering the voice commands useless for that whole time. That said, the amount of fun I have driving the thing makes up for the drawbacks. It was so f******g fun on Ghost Lake, even with no studs! I wouldn't get a Fiesta if you regularly drive around with ~4 adults though or need seats that fold flat.

If you go for Ford I think the beyond consensus is Cam Clark Ford in Airdrie but Joel at Woodridge is also easy to work with if you're in the south.

I also don't think you could go wrong with a Subaru. Stick some Hakka's on it and it will be a monster in winter. I hear Rally Subaru in Red Deer is the best dealership, might be worth a trek.

msommers
03-05-2015, 05:47 PM
That's very helpful, thanks man! :thumbsup:

ShermanEF9
03-06-2015, 07:04 PM
2015 fit is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous gens. they come with a lot of the tech you would only see in the accord or acura lines. its really impressive. they are also well priced. my girlfriend picked one up this fall, full load manual with 3m, undercoat, and winter tires for 27k. has nav, voice commands, backup and blindspot cams, and other neat tech. if you're looking at a fit and don't mind spending the money on a new car, the 15 is the only way to go.

relyt92
03-06-2015, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
2015 fit is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous gens. they come with a lot of the tech you would only see in the accord or acura lines. its really impressive. they are also well priced. my girlfriend picked one up this fall, full load manual with 3m, undercoat, and winter tires for 27k. has nav, voice commands, backup and blindspot cams, and other neat tech. if you're looking at a fit and don't mind spending the money on a new car, the 15 is the only way to go. I get that you get quite a few features in that package, but 27k for a Fit seems pretty crazy.

xnvy
03-06-2015, 11:33 PM
^:eek: I always thought of the Fit as an entry level econobox, $27k is nuts! That's FiST pricing.

My Fiesta with the Ecoboost package and whatever the package with the heated seats is called was around $17k I believe. That's sticker. We paid around $15 in the end IIRC.

ShermanEF9
03-07-2015, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
^:eek: I always thought of the Fit as an entry level econobox, $27k is nuts! That's FiST pricing.

My Fiesta with the Ecoboost package and whatever the package with the heated seats is called was around $17k I believe. That's sticker. We paid around $15 in the end IIRC.

Theres a lot more trim levels now with the fit. the car is kitted out with all the stuff you get in the accord, but in a smaller, less expensive package. I love the Fiesta, but she really didn't like it.

xnvy
03-07-2015, 05:26 AM
Ahh that makes sense especially considering how nice you can make an Accord. For $15k my car didn't come with things like backup cameras and nav and so on so that makes it more understandable. Still kind of crazy to wrap my head around though.

tehwegz
03-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Fit all the way unless Fiesta ST. Resale value on the Fit is nuts. Fit nuts.

Also the most reliable vehicle Honda makes today. Not saying much considering the brand and its reputation we're talking about, but they have the least issues/annoyances/problems per (whatever).

If they brought out a Fit Si with a 1.0L turbo...I would be all over that so long as it sounded as mean as a 500 Abarth.

BigMass
03-08-2015, 08:10 AM
27k for a Fit is getting dangerously close to a B250 which IMO is an awesome package.

flipstah
03-08-2015, 09:15 AM
A Fit would be my choice. A Fiesta ST is too cramped like a 500.

Lol@BigMass. He overlooked a VW for maintenance and a Mercedes comes to play.

Aleks
03-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
27k for a Fit is getting dangerously close to a B250 which IMO is an awesome package.

B250 is close the 10k more with just premium pack and nothing else.

max_boost
03-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Fit because i would never buy a ford lol

tehwegz
03-09-2015, 10:31 PM
Oh yeah and the Sonic. It weighs 200-300lbs more than Fiesta/Fit, is bigger, yet has far less interior space (primarily the rear hatch area). Which is a joke considering the segment it competes in (or doesn't). I consider it a Cruze hatch.

And they all seem to MSRP @ 19k+ from what I've seen. All the way up to $29k for the RS 1.4T, which is still slow/pales in comparison to cars like Velostar Turbo, Dart GT, Civic Si, etc.

It also has too much resemblance to Aveo. Resale value probably tanks like no ones business.

Cos
03-10-2015, 07:25 AM

Mitsu3000gt
03-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Does the Fiesta use the same garbage DCT as the Focus? If so that is one of the worst transmissions I have ever experienced. I had a Focus rental in Hawaii for 10 days recently, and I am truly surprised the transmission did not fail when I had it - I would bet anything it failed on the next guy with how badly it shook and slipped every time I started from a stop. The car was also a giant POS in every way, with squeaks and rattles galore even on Hawaii's excellent roads. It was so bad I almost returned it, probably should have. It was a 2013 or 2014, I can't remember. All I could think about was how glad I was that it wasn't my car.

In contrast, I had a Hyundai Accent hatchback rental in Arizona for a week. That car really surprised me. The interior was a little cheap, but not nearly as bad as you'd expect for a car of that price, and way better than the Ford. Instead of ultra-cheap plastics, they at least used textured materials, and all the switch gear felt decent. What surprised me most was how solid it felt for an economy car on the road. Absolutely zero rattles or squeaks over bumps, even on the crappiest roads in Phoenix, just the low "thud" noise you normally hear with nicer cars. Noise on the highway at 75MPH was minimal as well. The auto transmission seemed pretty decent too, and was eager to shift down when needed. I should mention it was pretty new, which may have helped it's case, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Cos
03-10-2015, 10:51 AM

ZeroGravity
03-11-2015, 10:20 AM
As fate would have it, I might be in the market for a commuter vehicle as well. Comparing the Fit LX vs. Prius C to replace the 04 Echo RS I totaled by rear ending someone on merge. Debating whether to go through the hassle to re-certify salvage title back to rebuilt on ~3700 worth of front end damage (bent radiator and support, etc).

I've got a Toyota salesman friend, so if I go the Toyota route, I've that set already.

Anyway, other than recommendation on Airdrie Honda salesperson, any good people to deal with in other Honda dealerships? Or is there a Honda dealership to avoid?

88CRX
03-11-2015, 10:42 AM
I've had limiting dealings with the service department at Okotoks Honda which was leaps and bounds above Calgary Honda.

Believe they also offer free oil changes if you're up to date on all other required manufacturer maintenance. Something to consider :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
03-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Just don't bother with Honda West if you care about post-purchase service. Their service department is the worst I have ever experienced. The sales experience was positive, but I would have never bought a car from them if I knew how their service department works.

CanmoreOrLess
03-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
I've had limiting dealings with the service department at Okotoks Honda which was leaps and bounds above Calgary Honda.

Believe they also offer free oil changes if you're up to date on all other required manufacturer maintenance. Something to consider :dunno:

My Honda needed a B1 (B4?) service, this includes replacement and flushing of the coolant system and other goodies. Priced it at Honda West, they needed two weeks to get me in, called Okotoks and they were $100 less and booked it for two days later. Loaner Fit S car for free, only asked to replace the fuel and their service rates are lower than the Calgary dealers. I was offered free oil changes by the service manager for life on the car, even though it was not bought in Okotoks.

Okotoks Honda managed to snap off two lugs (not their fault), thanks to the local winter tire dealer again (second time) for cranking the lugs on like the idiots they are. I just changed over to my summer tires, the lugs all came off without snapping. Okotoks Honda did not charge me for the wheel stud labour or parts. They are my Honda dealer going forward for sure.

max_boost
03-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Okotoks Honda Service department is top notch.