PDA

View Full Version : garage sensor blicking due to sun

95EG6P
03-06-2015, 11:55 AM
my garage door wont close cause of the sun being in the way of the senor if i stand in front of it blocking the sun the door will close. i read the putting a roll from the tolit paper to bock sunlight. any other suggesting also i hears swaping the senor works too but is it hard to do

rage2
03-06-2015, 12:17 PM
I fixed it by taping a playing card to keep direct sunlight off the sensor. Eventually, I cleaned the lens, and aimed it a little more straight to the other side, and it fixed the problem even in direct sunlight without the card.

88CRX
03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Mine does the same for a week or so in the fall and spring and only in the mornings before work. Sun is at the perfect angle for only a couple days. I just get out of the car and block the sun with my body :rofl:

Thought I was the only one with this problem.

MGCM
03-06-2015, 02:48 PM
lol mine always does this randomly in winter from built up ice, never had the sun do that.

95EG6P
03-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I fixed it by taping a playing card to keep direct sunlight off the sensor. Eventually, I cleaned the lens, and aimed it a little more straight to the other side, and it fixed the problem even in direct sunlight without the card.

The garage is brand new and I clean the lens too did u adjust up or down for the lens to advoid the sun

mr2mike
03-06-2015, 03:05 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t_TRAbzzv_Y/TkqqPOX1-jI/AAAAAAAAAk8/pSaiHZN8oHk/s1600/garage+door+7.jpg

95EG6P
03-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t_TRAbzzv_Y/TkqqPOX1-jI/AAAAAAAAAk8/pSaiHZN8oHk/s1600/garage+door+7.jpg

You did to your garage does it work lol

01RedDX
03-06-2015, 03:45 PM

AndyL
03-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Swap sender for receiver - cut wires splice, swap em side for side. Alignment plays a but of a factor but some houses are just as mentioned a problem certain times of day...

Chamberlain does sell this origami like kit of a sun shade - only ever needed it once...

Kloubek
03-06-2015, 05:00 PM
^ Good tip Andy.

I was talking to my wife last night who said our garage door would only close now if you kept your finger on the button. I actually thought it wouldn't close at ALL if the sensor was messed up, but learned pretty quickly (thanks Google) you can still force it by holding the button.

Not sure it in our case it is a misalignment issue or a sun issue, as she seemed to think it was always happening... which would rule out sun hitting it "just right" both when she leaves for work AND comes home.....

I'd say it is more likely one of the sensors got dislodged, but I can't exactly fix it from Kelowna....

mr2mike
03-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

You did to your garage does it work lol

I'd never do that ghetto work to my garage. But yeah it would work.

rage2
03-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
I'd never do that ghetto work to my garage. But yeah it would work.
I did it for a week before I cleaned and realigned my sensor. Even though it was inconspicuous, every time I saw that card it pissed me off lol.

frozenrice
03-07-2015, 03:46 PM
AndyL. A bit off topic, but I on cold days (-15 or colder) if I've left the overhead door open too long, the door wont' stay shut. Once it hits bottom, the door will open right back up and the light on the opener flashes. I'm thinking it is sensing something is blocking the door from closing but I'm not sure if its the stop limiter on the opener or the door alignment/adjustment itself. When the weather warms up it works fine. What's up with that?

AndyL
03-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Bottom limit a bit too aggressive or closing force just a wee bit too low. Could just need a tuneup too...