PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Golf Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

roopi
03-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Since the first course opens tomorrow it's time to start the 2015 thread.

Fox Hollow on temp greens starting tomorrow (9 holes only) and all 18 open on Sunday. Don't care for the course at all but golf in March I'll take it. Have a Sunday tee time. :D

Details:
Golf Course Opening on March 7th 2015

Yes its true, we have decided to open up Tomorrow on Temporary Greens. Come on down get your Spring Fix in, we will be reserving Tee Times either online www.foxhollowcalgary.com or by calling 403 277 4653.

Saturday will be 9 holes only and Sunday we will be open on 18 Temporary Greens.

9 Holes $17.00
18 Holes $25.00

NO POWERCARTS While on Temporary greens. Sorry for this !

We will however have pull carts available

SOAB
03-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Got room for 1 more? :D

roopi
03-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
Got room for 1 more? :D

Sorry have 4 already.

lasimmon
03-06-2015, 02:18 PM
I picked up the VIP golf membership again this year, as it saved me a bunch of money last year. Can't wait to get out and be playing again. But we all know with Alberta it is just as likely to be snowing and -20 next week.

trieu
03-06-2015, 09:52 PM
http://s24.postimg.org/5ukxqq505/IMG_0547.png

Living in New Orleans right now, wouldn't it be nice if it cost this much to golf in Calgary?

npham
03-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up for Fox Hollow. I was going to hit the range tomorrow, but playing actual golf sounds so much better. I was trying to convince some guys to go to Montana for the VIP golf deal, but no takers.

petoria
03-12-2015, 09:36 AM
glen eagles opens up tomorrow. $75 green fee no cart. full greens.

does anyone know which driving ranges have opened? i'm only aware of the golf center by burnco off glenmore, as well as the one on country hills blvd.

roopi
03-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Blue Devil opening tomorrow on regulation greens.

Mckenzie Meadows driving range is open. 10am to 7pm daily.
McCall Lake range opens Monday.
Shaganappi range opens Friday. (Friday to Sunday only 10am-6pm)

npham
03-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Both Glen Eagles and Blue Devil have no tee times available for Friday or Saturday.

lasimmon
03-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by npham
Both Glen Eagles and Blue Devil have no tee times available for Friday or Saturday.

Filled in 25 minutes apparently.

Don't know why anyone would want to play. Terrible conditions for the cost.

SkiBum5.0
03-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Got the last twosome for BD. Going to be slooooww

Pacman
03-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion on a good place to get a set of irons reshafted?

I need someone who knows what they are doing, as the irons are a set of 1984 Ping Eye 2 Berrylium Copper and I don't want them buggering it up.

The stock ZZ-Lite shafts are too stiff for me. Need something in regular flex.

Thanks
Pac

npham
03-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
Does anyone have a suggestion on a good place to get a set of irons reshafted?

I need someone who knows what they are doing, as the irons are a set of 1984 Ping Eye 2 Berrylium Copper and I don't want them buggering it up.

The stock ZZ-Lite shafts are too stiff for me. Need something in regular flex.

Thanks
Pac

Lyle at Simply Golf does great club work. I've used him a number of times to reshaft, install adapters, grips, etc. He's out of the golf dome off of 50th Ave and McLeod Tr now.

roopi
04-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Rivers Edge and Canal are opening tomorrow on regulation. Doesn't seem like the greatest day to be opening with the low temps.

killramos
04-02-2015, 09:15 AM
My buddy says Glencoe had 9 open last weekend.

Gonna do some early season lessons here. Plan on throughout taking advantage of my mandatory Fridays off this year.:D

colinxx235
04-02-2015, 05:38 PM
I got a round in monday and tuesday morning this week. Shot 93 then 90.

Although the second round I lost my 7 iron on the 3rd hole which did not make me happy one bit... costly shot.

I hope the weather comes back quickly so I can get in 4-6 rounds a week

vtec4life
04-04-2015, 06:13 PM
That's what you get for being a lefty lol

npham
04-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by vtec4life
That's what you get for being a lefty lol

I was going to say the same thing!

colinxx235
04-06-2015, 11:29 AM
haha fuckers :(

golf town is slow as shit too, went in yesterday expecting it to be done, not until tuesday.
Oh well... elbow doesn't open up until thursday, going to golf thur/fri/sat/sun so far

FullFledgedYYC
04-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Apparently Willow Park is opening later this week, can't freaking wait. The freeze/thaw cycles in January didn't help the turf much, but they are working hard to get it in good shape. Last year I was the first tee time of the year, and the last. Hopefully I can pull that off again this year!

asp integra
04-16-2015, 03:52 PM
playing Glen Eagles this sunday, cant wait to get the first round of the year in.

petoria
04-17-2015, 07:50 AM
heading out to river spirit tomorrow and sirocco on sunday :D

Meback
04-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Played my first round at Heather Glen yesterday. First time walking all 18 too! Hit some awesome shots, playing way better then I did last year. The game is starting to register properly in with head, instead of just trying to crank it as far as I can! Will probably play Boulder Creek next week or something.

npham
04-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by petoria
heading out to river spirit tomorrow and sirocco on sunday :D

River Spirit was so fucking windy last weekend. I packed it in after 9 holes. Taking 2 extra clubs and coming up short isn't my idea of fun.

JVR1
04-17-2015, 03:10 PM
^^ that was me today at Darcy ranch.. Easily 2-3 clubs in to the wind. Still felt awesome to be out though.

Only the front is open but greens are decent for this time of year

roopi
04-17-2015, 06:19 PM
White witch in Jamaica on Sunday. Hope it's good!

petoria
05-12-2015, 10:00 AM
has anyone played banff springs at all this year yet? VIP has a discounted rate up until the end of May. just curious how the course is so far.

ZedMan
05-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Any of you have a preferred pro? I'm looking to get my game from pile of trash to half-decent this year.

D__
05-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Yeah looking for some lessons as well.

s dime
05-20-2015, 06:26 AM
Todd Halpen golf performance, check it out.

bjstare
05-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Been out for a couple rounds so far (I golf at Pinebrook). First time I was playing awesome off the tee, most holes I actually made GIR, but then would wind up with a 3 putt. Then last week I couldn't get off the tee if my life depended on it, but 2 putted everything. What an awful sport this is :rofl:

flipstah
05-21-2015, 08:44 AM
I might go to the range tonight. All are open, I'll assume?

bjstare
05-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
I might go to the range tonight. All are open, I'll assume?

Yeah. FWIW I think harvest hills you can hit off the grass Tue and Thur (or you could when I used to go there). And the grass is way nicer than the beat up dirt at RCGA :rofl:

Chandler_Racing
05-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Anyone tried out Krank Drivers?

Supposed to be one of the best if you can get over the price shock:

http://www.krankgolf.com/products/clubs/krank-golf-formula-6-driver/

Purchased the 45.5" Fuji Tour Shaft in Stiff, 7 degree, and neutral face.

flipstah
05-21-2015, 01:03 PM
I like buying last year's top models on Kijiji.

I should look for an old R9 or an R10 that's not beat to shit haha.

Can't beat Titleist drivers though. Sounds so good. :love:

SkiBum5.0
05-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing
Anyone tried out Krank Drivers?

Supposed to be one of the best if you can get over the price shock:

http://www.krankgolf.com/products/clubs/krank-golf-formula-6-driver/

Purchased the 45.5" Fuji Tour Shaft in Stiff, 7 degree, and neutral face.

Is this for long driving? I'm wondering why you went with a 7 degree lofted driver?

bjstare
05-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Interesting, I've heard of Krank, but have yet to see one outside of watching a Long Drive comp. To be honest, I'll probably stick with my R1 for the next year at least. Switching drivers is overrated, the vast majority of golfers (i.e. everyone that shoots over 80, myself included) won't ever notice a difference

Having said that, if you're ordering a 7* driver, I would imagine that you're probably an above-avg scorer haha.

Flip: I would suggest ebay/amazon over kijiji. There's tons of good looking fakes out there, and it's easier to look at ebay feedback to determine if the product is legit. Also Taylormade went R9->R11->R1, just FYI haha. Also +1 for the sound Titleist drivers make

flipstah
05-21-2015, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Interesting, I've heard of Krank, but have yet to see one outside of watching a Long Drive comp. To be honest, I'll probably stick with my R1 for the next year at least. Switching drivers is overrated, the vast majority of golfers (i.e. everyone that shoots over 80, myself included) won't ever notice a difference

Having said that, if you're ordering a 7* driver, I would imagine that you're probably an above-avg scorer haha.

Flip: I would suggest ebay/amazon over kijiji. There's tons of good looking fakes out there, and it's easier to look at ebay feedback to determine if the product is legit. Also Taylormade went R9->R11->R1, just FYI haha. Also +1 for the sound Titleist drivers make

Usually, I just go for random buys. Not seriously looking.

Haven't followed the TM model line-up because they went all-white for some bizarre reason. Last time I checked new product lines was R9, which will dictate how long ago that was. :rofl:

Chandler_Racing
05-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

Is this for long driving? I'm wondering why you went with a 7 degree lofted driver?

Normal driver no long drive...

I've heard you can expect 15 - 20 yards more distance and much better shot dispersion.

I hit an 8.5 now, super-low ball flight / trajectory. Joe at Crank recommended this based on that and my distance. To be honest, I rarely get any roll (usually good carry) so interested to see what this does for me.

JVR1
05-22-2015, 01:11 AM
I could see it work depending on your launch angle and angle of attack. A buddy of mine used to compete and won a couple regional remax tourneys, he carried similar hardware in his bag for normal use.

Its pretty interesting to try on the course but I had to really think about where in my swing I needed to make contact.

npham
05-22-2015, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Normal driver no long drive...

I've heard you can expect 15 - 20 yards more distance and much better shot dispersion.

I hit an 8.5 now, super-low ball flight / trajectory. Joe at Crank recommended this based on that and my distance. To be honest, I rarely get any roll (usually good carry) so interested to see what this does for me.

Very interesting choice based on what you've told us. Do you have any Trackman numbers? Did they fit you on one? What's your carry, swing speed, AoA, etc?

You say that you hit a low ball already, and you went with a driver that has even less loft...makes no sense to me. You will need quite a bit of swing speed to get that ball in the air.

lasimmon
05-22-2015, 11:45 AM
Anyone play the Canal yet this year?

flipstah
05-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Felt good to be back. Went to Harvest Hills for the first time since 2013.

Back to basic consistency! :banghead:

Chandler_Racing
05-22-2015, 12:10 PM

Very interesting choice based on what you've told us. Do you have any Trackman numbers? Did they fit you on one? What's your carry, swing speed, AoA, etc?

You say that you hit a low ball already, and you went with a driver that has even less loft...makes no sense to me. You will need quite a bit of swing speed to get that ball in the air.

Typo... should read high ball flight

npham
05-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Ok, that makes sense now lol.

What are your trackman numbers though, they still must be decent to play 7 degree of loft.

Dumbass17
05-22-2015, 01:48 PM
played Shag twice and the golf course near Fruitvale BC once. Very beautiful potential here, greens were pretty rough but fun course. Playing McCall par 3 after work today

vengie
05-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Played Crystal Ridge yesterday, first time out this year, couldn't have asked for better conditions! but I put my driver away right after my first swing... Tee'd off with my 5 iron the rest of the day! ahah

For you more experienced golfers, I have a question when it comes to my drives.

Typically as the year progresses (or after a few days at the range) I can straighten them right out, long, deep shots (~320yds). HOWEVER I have an extremely high trajectory and any little bit of wind really affects my shots. I use a Taylor Made SLDR 9.5 degree (Loft adjusted all the way down) and it didn't affect the ball flight at all. I'd much prefer a 280-290yd drive with accuracy as my long irons are always bang on and will get me to most greens in 2 shots. Any tips or tricks I can try to lower the ball's trajectory and increase my confidence/ accuracy with the driver?

I appreciate it.

roopi
05-25-2015, 01:10 PM
15% off at Golf Town ends tomorrow. In stores and online.

bjstare
05-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by vengie
Played Crystal Ridge yesterday, first time out this year, couldn't have asked for better conditions! but I put my driver away right after my first swing... Tee'd off with my 5 iron the rest of the day! ahah

Typically as the year progresses (or after a few days at the range) I can straighten them right out, long, deep shots (~320yds). HOWEVER I have an extremely high trajectory and any little bit of wind really affects my shots. I use a Taylor Made SLDR 9.5 degree (Loft adjusted all the way down) and it didn't affect the ball flight at all. I'd much prefer a 280-290yd drive with accuracy as my long irons are always bang on and will get me to most greens in 2 shots. Any tips or tricks I can try to lower the ball's trajectory and increase my confidence/ accuracy with the driver?

I appreciate it.

I would suggest go see a pro and get some lessons, but I assume this isn't an option or you'd be doing it already haha.

Honestly, if you have decent athletic ability and coordination, just watch youtube. I learned a lot of valuable tips from watching youtube videos when I was first learning to golf. Watch a video, go to the range, try the tips. If the tips don't work, watch a video with different ideas. Repeat til you find something that works. I probably dropped 15 strokes off my game by doing this (and hitting the range 2x a week). Practise practise practise.

Third idea - have someone take a video of your swing from behind the ball, and facing you. Post it here and we'll provide input if we have any.

vengie
05-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Honestly, if you have decent athletic ability and coordination, just watch youtube. I learned a lot of valuable tips from watching youtube videos when I was first learning to golf. Watch a video, go to the range, try the tips. If the tips don't work, watch a video with different ideas. Repeat til you find something that works. I probably dropped 15 strokes off my game by doing this (and hitting the range 2x a week). Practise practise practise.

I appreciate the insight, this is exactly how I learned to golf. I've always been very athletically inclined, was able to drop my handicap down to a 7 at one point, now back to bogey golf as my dedication has severely declined over the years. However even when I was playing my best golf, my driver was always a sore point.

I was just wondering if anyone is or has been in the same situation...
I may just have to hit the range and experiment with tee heights, stance etc.

Has anyone here ever played Woodside in Airdrie? just moved a few blocks away, I may try it out this weekend if time permits.

ExtraSlow
05-25-2015, 02:15 PM
I haven't played Woodside in years, but I've never been that impressed with it. It's not "bad", but it's pretty mediocre. If you live nearby, that's a good reason to try it out, but for anyone in Calgary, I'd prefer to drive to Chestermere (Lakeside), Okotoks (D'Arcy) or Cochrane (Gleneagles).

Played Sundre on the long weekend. Really like what they have done with that course. They've cleared out all the undergrowth from the trees so it's quick and easy to find an errant ball. I think that will speed up play nicely. Course was in good shape.

bjstare
05-25-2015, 02:22 PM

I appreciate the insight, this is exactly how I learned to golf. I've always been very athletically inclined, was able to drop my handicap down to a 7 at one point, now back to bogey golf as my dedication has severely declined over the years. However even when I was playing my best golf, my driver was always a sore point.

I was just wondering if anyone is or has been in the same situation...
I may just have to hit the range and experiment with tee heights, stance etc.

My bad, it sounded like you were more of a beginner.

FWIW I had the same issue as you a couple years back. Like exactly. The two things that fixed me were (you may have already tried them):

-Tee up lower. I'm at a point now when I tee up for my driver, it's only about 1"-1.25" off the ground.

-Place the ball further back in your stance (a little more inside towards centre, as opposed to aligned with the front foot). You'll have to use a stronger grip and turn over your dominant hand a little more to close up the face in time for impact. When I first tried this, it took a lot of practise to not start hitting draws/hooks and get the impact angle correct, but it was worth it in the end.

Like I said, tough to analyse a swing without seeing it, but those two things helped me fix the issue that you seem to be having. :thumbsup:

SkiBum5.0
05-25-2015, 02:35 PM

I appreciate it.

I would suggest getting fitted for a driver from a pro. Now that I've said that I can add my personal opinion. No amateur should have a driver below 10 deg unless a pro has fitted them for it. Second, I would look long and hard at your shaft choice on the driver. That is what is causing your ball trajectory (btw, high ball flight is a good problem to have). If it's the one that came with the driver it's probably a low-kick shaft which equals high ball flight. You can tune your ball flight down by putting a heavier shaft in, or one with a higher kick point.

It's been a long time since I've been around shaft tech etc but I would suggest a pro fitting for ~$100 would point you in the right direction.

vengie
05-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

I would suggest getting fitted for a driver from a pro. Now that I've said that I can add my personal opinion. No amateur should have a driver below 10 deg unless a pro has fitted them for it. Second, I would look long and hard at your shaft choice on the driver. That is what is causing your ball trajectory (btw, high ball flight is a good problem to have). If it's the one that came with the driver it's probably a low-kick shaft which equals high ball flight. You can tune your ball flight down by putting a heavier shaft in, or one with a higher kick point.

It's been a long time since I've been around shaft tech etc but I would suggest a pro fitting for ~$100 would point you in the right direction.

You know that's pretty good advice... I've never actually been fitted for clubs, I've just adapted based on performance.

As for the shaft, its the same shaft that came with the driver.

ExtraSlow
05-25-2015, 03:43 PM
Not sure if this has been posted previously, but Groupon has several golf deals on. One of my favorites is the Lakeside deal, which includes $100 worth of food and drink in the restaurant for before or afterwards.

sl888
05-26-2015, 02:04 AM
I played Heather Glen (Creek & Grove) for the first time today. I can't believe I paid $70 for that shit. Course conditions are horrible. I might go back just to try the foot golf.

roopi
05-26-2015, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by sl888
I played Heather Glen (Creek & Grove) for the first time today. I can't believe I paid $70 for that shit. Course conditions are horrible. I might go back just to try the foot golf.

Haven't played there yet. Always my last choice when I can't find a tee time. The conditions never seem to improve over the year either.

Inglewood on Friday for me. I've heard the course is in good condition as well.

colinxx235
05-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by sl888

heather glen is a shit hole that shouldn't be more than ~$45, painful the setup, condition of course and the staff working

vengie
06-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Looking for a good 18 hole public course to take my dad golfing next Sunday for Fathers day, recommendations?

Also, this is a long shot, but does anyone have a set of Cobra "Trusty Rusty" wedges for sale?

Thanks.

lasimmon
06-01-2015, 04:21 PM
I played Banff Springs yesterday.

Highly over rated in my opinion.

petoria
06-04-2015, 10:56 AM
anyone try apple creek in airdrie? new course that opened last year.pretty cheap green fees as well

kertejud2
06-06-2015, 05:57 PM
anyone try apple creek in airdrie? new course that opened last year.pretty cheap green fees as well

When it comes to golf in this area, they're not a bad deal. It's a $40 course that you pay $40 for. Can't really argue with that. But you might have to play a 6 hour round on a weekend.

BDenali
06-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Not sure if this has already been posted but figure I would put it up just incase.

18 HOLES OF GOLF FOR TWO OR FOUR WITH CART RENTAL, RANGE BALLS, AND DRINKS AT CARSTAIRS GOLF CLUB (UP TO 57% OFF)

http://rentza.ca/blog/18-holes-of-golf-for-two-or-four-with-cart-rental-range-balls-and-drinks-at-carstairs-golf-club-up-to-57-off/

Dumbass17
06-06-2015, 11:41 PM
have a golf lesson this coming wednesday....need to get my slice looked after :nut:

FullFledgedYYC
06-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by BDenali
Not sure if this has already been posted but figure I would put it up just incase.

18 HOLES OF GOLF FOR TWO OR FOUR WITH CART RENTAL, RANGE BALLS, AND DRINKS AT CARSTAIRS GOLF CLUB (UP TO 57% OFF)

http://rentza.ca/blog/18-holes-of-golf-for-two-or-four-with-cart-rental-range-balls-and-drinks-at-carstairs-golf-club-up-to-57-off/

Surely you didn't have to link it through your own site..... fuck off.

vengie
06-07-2015, 04:31 PM
Had a great round today at Crystal Ridge! 4 over on 9 holes... Got my driver figured out!

bjstare
06-08-2015, 07:07 AM
^Nice!

I played Sat and Sun this week (Pinebrook). Dismal 98 on Saturday, Sunday I just did 9 and shot a 44, much happier. I'm blaming the bad score on the fact that I replaced a hybrid with a 3 wood (haven't had a 3 wood in the bag for about 5 years previously), and also replaced my putter haha.

flipstah
06-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Anyone looking to buy a thick-sole Mizuno irons? Complete with bag and driver.

I'll post pics later at the Marketplace but thought I'd try this thread first. I have my Ben Hogan's + Titleist driver now.

EDIT:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=392688

SOAB
06-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

Surely you didn't have to link it through your own site..... fuck off.

the guy is a sponsor here. he's allowed.

anyway, played Valley Ridge for the first time yesterday and shot 100. :nut: first time playing at a course is always tough for me.

Pacman
06-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Has anyone tried the Wilson Staff Elite 50, Wilson Duo, Callaway Supersoft low compression balls?

I'm looking for something soft as I have a slow swing speed, but want some green side spin.

I've got boxes of Pro V1x that I don't use as my swing speed is not fast enough for them.

ExtraSlow
06-12-2015, 06:15 AM
I bought some of the Wilson 50's. Haven't used them yet, but I also have a really slow swing speed. Also helps that they were very cheap.

Nismorphed
06-12-2015, 06:26 AM
Played speargrass yesterday and the course is great. Greens are in good shape and fast and for 50 bucks with cart you can't complain.

bjstare
06-12-2015, 07:53 AM
Has anyone tried the Wilson Staff Elite 50, Wilson Duo, Callaway Supersoft low compression balls?

I'm looking for something soft as I have a slow swing speed, but want some green side spin.

I've got boxes of Pro V1x that I don't use as my swing speed is not fast enough for them.

I can't provide any useful input, but if you want to get rid of your Pro v1x's, let me know what you want for them!

vengie
06-12-2015, 09:19 AM

I'd recommend trying the titleist NXT tour s.

I switched from pro v1's to those two years ago and have no complaints! and the fact they're ~$1/ball less expensive is awesome!

npham
06-12-2015, 09:23 AM

TM Project(a) balls might be a good fit for you. The Callaway Supersofts have tons of spin and would be my other recommendation for you.

Pacman
06-12-2015, 09:58 AM

TM Project(a) balls might be a good fit for you. The Callaway Supersofts have tons of spin and would be my other recommendation for you.

Do you find the callaway supersoft spin a lot off the driver?

I tried the Bridgestone E5 and like it around the greens, but too much spin off the driver for me.

I should also mention all of those boxes of Pro V1x's were given to me with company logos on them, so I can't really sell or trade them off. I'll give them back to who gave them to me. Too bad as it was nice playing with free premium balls, but it's time I find something to suit my swing speed.

88CRX
06-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Been out 3 time so far (haven't even hit the range yet) and already hitting the ball better than last season, woohoo! Just like riding a bike.

Shot a 100 at Maple Ridge while getting sloppy (whoops haha), followed up by a best ball tournament at Stewart Creek and last weekend played Speargrass and shot a 96 (started double, triple, double and finished double, double, double). Speargrass round could have been a sub 90 round, oh well. Extremely confident that I'll get into the 80's this season. Just like riding a bike!

Playing Darcy this weekend then Silvertip next week for another tournament.

88CRX
06-17-2015, 02:28 PM

I tried the Bridgestone E5 and like it around the greens, but too much spin off the driver for me.

I should also mention all of those boxes of Pro V1x's were given to me with company logos on them, so I can't really sell or trade them off. I'll give them back to who gave them to me. Too bad as it was nice playing with free premium balls, but it's time I find something to suit my swing speed.

I can't hit prov v1's either. Have a couple boxes just sitting collecting dust now.

Was messing around with Nike RZN Red's last season but keep going back to their cheap Nike SFT's. They don't spin off the tee and I'm not skilled enough around the greens for them to hurt my short game. Plus they're less than $1 a ball which is nice, might go stock up so I can keep it consistent all season.

npham
06-17-2015, 02:39 PM

I spin the ball quite a bit(high swing speed player) and didn't think the ball spins too much off the driver. If you have too much spin with the driver, is most likely a swing fault. Hitting 1-2 degrees up will drop that spin in a hurry. If it's side spin you want to reduce, then playing a different ball won't help to much either.

You hit the most shots around the green and into greens, so you need a ball that will perform there first, and off the tee second IMO.

vengie
06-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Played Speargrass yesterday with my Father, the front 9 wasn't too bad, shot a 44, followed up with a 46 on the back (Mother and Girlfriend joined us, just looking for an excuse! :rofl: ).

My only gripe is they do not have a course "Map" to inform you of hazard/ bunker locations, however the course marshal informed us they are working on that.

Overall it was a beautiful course! it was my first time playing there, and considering how challenging it was (CPGA event 4 days previous, greens were FAST!), and we played it blind, I am very happy to walk away with a 90! Can't wait to play it again, I'd like to hit ~82-85 the next time around.

How was everyone else's weekend??

88CRX
06-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Had an early tee time yesterday for Darcy Ranch but didn't fee like getting soaked to the ass so we cancelled.

And yea I really like Speargrass, its our go to course now as its reasonably priced and usually in great shape.

Playing Silvertip Friday, then busy on the weekend which sucks but hoping to play Canada Day and Stampeded Parade day as well.

vengie
06-22-2015, 10:38 AM
We lucked out with the weather, it was spitting a bit as we were warming up on the driving range, but by the time we were ready to tee off the rain stopped, and the sun came out by the start on the back 9! perfect day for golf.

lasimmon
06-22-2015, 11:10 AM
I played Coyote Creek in Sundre yesterday. Had about 4 minutes of rain on the 4th hole, other than that it was beautiful.

I struggled mightily, 46 on front 47 on back. Ugh.

petoria
06-23-2015, 08:19 AM
shot my personal best at lakeside in chestermere. 79! had a stretch where i parred 9/11 holes. usually shoot high 80's low 90's... started putting like jordan spieth where he looks at the hole when he putts ( even for long putts ), noticed my weight and lag are significantly better now. only 3 putted twice yesterday. give it a try at a practice green. might work for you

vengie
06-23-2015, 09:00 AM
shot my personal best at lakeside in chestermere. 79! had a stretch where i parred 9/11 holes. usually shoot high 80's low 90's... started putting like jordan spieth where he looks at the hole when he putts ( even for long putts ), noticed my weight and lag are significantly better now. only 3 putted twice yesterday. give it a try at a practice green. might work for you

As in stare at the hole vs ball while putting??

Wicked round man! congrats!

88CRX
06-23-2015, 10:27 AM

Nice work on the 79 and new personal best.

How is that course... need to find some new ones in the south area. Darcy, Speargrass, Blue Devil and Mckenzie Meadows get repetitive.

roopi
06-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

How is that course... need to find some new ones in the south area. Darcy, Speargrass, Blue Devil and Mckenzie Meadows get repetitive.

I played Chestermere about 3 weeks ago and the condition was not that great at all. I'd do Inglewood over Chestermere for sure.

If you're willing to go to Chestermere take the extra 15 minutes and head out to the Canal.

petoria
06-23-2015, 11:23 AM

As in stare at the hole vs ball while putting??

Wicked round man! congrats!

yepp. its weird at first but the ball goes right to the hole. usually within about 4 feet from the cup now. i recommend trying it on a practice green first to get the feel. definitely not for everyone but it's working for me.

chestermere is not the greatest course imo. greens are pretty good, but the fairways aren't in the greatest condition, lots of patchy areas. i recommend strathmore (super cheap course), lakes of muirfield (short course, but in great condition ) and delacour ( a bit more challenging ).

lamp_shade_2000
06-23-2015, 11:33 AM
I am a fairly big fan of Muirfield. Its a cheap course that is usually in very good shape and isn't overly busy.

I have not played Chestermere yet but have been wanting to sometime this year.

So far I'm 18 rounds in this year (including about 10 Par 3 courses)

I am having a very hard time consistently getting under 100 shots per round (98-110 average). The Par 3 at McCall I average 35-39. Best was a 32.

Not sure what I can do to get into the lower 90's.

Shot a 104 at Rivers Edge in Okotoks on Fathers Day. First 5 holes were pouring rain and miserable. Score didn't improve once it cleared though (52/52)

npham
06-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
Not sure what I can do to get into the lower 90's.

Do you know what your weaknesses are? Do you have the stats to back it up?

How much do you practice? What's your course management on any given day?

I think with these sets of questions, you should be able to quickly identify your golf game and where you need to improve. After you identify it, then you can look at fixing it.

Chandler_Racing
06-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Ok, that makes sense now lol.

What are your trackman numbers though, they still must be decent to play 7 degree of loft.

No idea on trackman numbers never heard of that.

I can say that the Krank driver is the best I've ever hit. Low penetrating ball flight, good spin, and somewhat consistent even on off center hits.

They built a reputation on being the longest driver in the market but I think they are one of the most consistent and they might even do that better.

If you can stomach the $700-800 for a driver it's well worth it in my opinion.

88CRX
06-23-2015, 12:08 PM

What's your course management on any given day?

This x 100.

My scores improved significantly when I started playing for pars/boggies not birdies. I lay up on par 5's (no going for greens in 2) or when there are water hazards in play. If I'm playing out of the shit I layup as opposed to trying to crush it out of the rough with a long iron.

Do that and improve your putting will get you into the 90's with a half decent swing.

lamp_shade_2000
06-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Do you know what your weaknesses are? Do you have the stats to back it up?

How much do you practice? What's your course management on any given day?

I think with these sets of questions, you should be able to quickly identify your golf game and where you need to improve. After you identify it, then you can look at fixing it.

Consistency is my issue. My drives are getting much better, 230-260 on average. This is with a 3 wood as I am still working with my driver to reduce a mean slice. I have almost eliminated my slice completely with everything but the driver. My 50-100 yard approaches are often falling short as I am always worried about hitting it too hard. Putting has improved greatly, 2-3 putts tops. My iron shots off the fairway are hit and miss, often topping the ball and getting no loft or distance.

I do not go to the driving ranch as much as I would like. My practice is typically a par 3 which does not help my drives obviously but should be improving my approach shots more.

Not sure what you are referring to by course management.

lasimmon
06-23-2015, 12:15 PM

This x 100.

My scores improved significantly when I started playing for pars/boggies not birdies. I lay up on par 5's (no going for greens in 2) or when there are water hazards in play. If I'm playing out of the shit I layup as opposed to trying to crush it out of the rough with a long iron.

Do that and improve your putting will get you into the 90's with a half decent swing.

Agreed. I went from shooting 95-100 to shooting 85-90 simply by playing in a little more conservative fashion.

To the guy above. If you have already played 18 rounds this year and have not seen any improvement perhaps go to the range or take lessons before playing more rounds.

lasimmon
06-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Consistency is my issue. My drives are getting much better, 230-260 on average. This is with a 3 wood as I am still working with my driver to reduce a mean slice. I have almost eliminated my slice completely with everything but the driver. My 50-100 yard approaches are often falling short as I am always worried about hitting it too hard. Putting has improved greatly, 2-3 putts tops. My iron shots off the fairway are hit and miss, often topping the ball and getting no loft or distance.

I do not go to the driving ranch as much as I would like. My practice is typically a par 3 which does not help my drives obviously but should be improving my approach shots more.

Not sure what you are referring to by course management.

Course management would be reading the situation and playing accordingly. Don't go for the par 5 in 2. Don't use your driver (or 3 wood) off the tee every time. etc etc

lamp_shade_2000
06-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Gotcha, I have started playing more conservatively and trying to lay up where I feel its needed. I still pull the wrong club out every once in a while. I still have fun while I play but I would like to be a more competitive player. If I could finish the year closer to the lower 90's I would be happy. I keep a spreadsheet of all of my rounds to keep track of my progress, I find it helps a bit.

lamp_shade_2000
06-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Work computer just shit the bed and I can't get much done the rest of the day so I booked McCall 18 for this afternoon. Wish me luck.

lasimmon
06-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Don't go for the green on 9 :)

I chose not to for the first time this year when I played a few weeks ago and I birdied after a nice chip.

lamp_shade_2000
06-23-2015, 12:55 PM
If that's the one over the lake, I actually use my driver and hit for the green. It will usually slice and land on the fairway 20-30 yards from the green. Not an ideal way to play but it works. Well at least it did last time I played there 3 or so years ago.

88CRX
06-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Work computer just shit the bed and I can't get much done the rest of the day so I booked McCall 18 for this afternoon. Wish me luck.

Wear a helmet. :rofl: