03-07-2015, 09:20 PM
$120. how many demerits?

Want to drop by court house and pay a visit to JOP

Unknown303
03-07-2015, 09:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eTXLEzg.jpg

leftwing
03-07-2015, 09:33 PM
3 Demerits I believe. I recently got a registered owner ticket for doing 48km/h in a 30km/h zone; $113, luckily no demerits for me.

rob the knob
03-07-2015, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Seks
$120. how many demerits?

Want to drop by court house and pay a visit to JOP

http://s18.postimg.org/ijpffvzwp/moms_radar_guns_1_jpg_w_1024.jpg

Graham_A_M
03-07-2015, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't waste your time or money hiring anybody to represent you. You can ask for a lesser fine with no demerits, and they'll usually be happy to oblige. It'll take perhaps two to three hours out of your day

adam c
03-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I wouldn't waste your time or money hiring anybody to represent you. You can ask for a lesser fine with no demerits, and they'll usually be happy to oblige. It'll take perhaps two to three hours out of your day

There is no such thing as no demerits anymore when you get pulled over

Weapon_R
03-07-2015, 11:19 PM
You can still get no demerits with a first appearance crown. If this is your first ticket you will get a good deal if you appear in person and ask for a break usually.

relyt92
03-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Side note insurance generally doesn't care about demerits if that's your concern. A speeding ticket is a speeding ticket to them whether it's 1 demerit or 4.

snowcat
03-08-2015, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by relyt92
Side note insurance generally doesn't care about demerits if that's your concern. A speeding ticket is a speeding ticket to them whether it's 1 demerit or 4.

Yup. You need to get the ticket changed to something else, not sure you can with a speeding ticket.

Masked Bandit
03-08-2015, 08:07 AM

Truth. Even if the crown drops it to 1 demerit it still shows up on your abstract. Either 0 demerits or don't bother.

Seks
03-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Truth. Even if the crown drops it to 1 demerit it still shows up on your abstract. Either 0 demerits or don't bother.

My insurance, which I pay monthly, was already renewed last month. So I won't see an increase until 2016?

Aleks
03-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Just curious was this during late evening with that new 9pm rule?

Hardly anyone goes 30 after dark in those zones.

se7en
03-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Just don't tell your insurance company.

gwill
03-08-2015, 11:47 AM
the crown can not reduce demerits.. they are what they are.

Seks
03-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by gwill
the crown can not reduce demerits.. they are what they are.

When i received this ticket in edmonton long time ago, JOP gave me 2 options, pay less and -1 demerit. Or pay a bit more and all demerits dropped.

relyt92
03-08-2015, 12:26 PM

My insurance, which I pay monthly, was already renewed last month. So I won't see an increase until 2016? Correct, assuming they pull your abstract next renewal. Someone who isn't me has 3 speeding tickets that the insurance company didn't find this renewal because they didn't pull the abstract. Most companies only do it every couple years to save on costs.

Agent_Oorange
03-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

Yup. You need to get the ticket changed to something else, not sure you can with a speeding ticket.

You can, I recently had a speeding ticket amended to a fail to obey rules of the road ticket which carries no demerits and no conviction record.

HiTempguy1
03-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Correct, assuming they pull your abstract next renewal. Someone who isn't me has 3 speeding tickets that the insurance company didn't find this renewal because they didn't pull the abstract. Most companies only do it every couple years to save on costs.

Exactly. On top of that, usually the insurance company gives you a freebie speeding ticket pass every couple of years. So if you keep them down to one every couple years or so, it isn't too big of a deal.

raceman6135
03-08-2015, 06:28 PM
Yup, 3 demerits.

Check out Schedule 1, beginning on page 12:

www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_331.pdf

btimbit
03-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
3 Demerits I believe. I recently got a registered owner ticket for doing 48km/h in a 30km/h zone; $113, luckily no demerits for me.

Same, about a month ago got a photo radar. 45km/h in a 30, at 8:15pm (Had been dark for hours)

Thank God those new playground zone times are saving all the children that weren't out there, and weren't getting hit with the old times. A+

No demerits luckily. OP, I personally wouldn't bother. Pretty small fine and you'll still get a few demerits regardless. Unless you're close to getting suspended I don't think it'd be worth it to get the demerits lowered

Masked Bandit
03-08-2015, 07:06 PM

My insurance, which I pay monthly, was already renewed last month. So I won't see an increase until 2016?

Paying monthly is irrelevant. You're still on a one year contract. In THEORY, insurance companies pull your abstract each year on renewal and amend your policy ratings accordingly. However, and you didn't hear this from me, it doesn't always work that way. Insurance companies have formulas that estimate for them as to who is most likely to collect tickets and who is not. Because abstracts cost money, if the insurance company thinks you're a low risk to collect tickets, they may only pull an abstract on you ever two or three years. Or as one company I'm aware of, never again.

zipdoa
03-09-2015, 07:01 AM

Paying monthly is irrelevant. You're still on a one year contract. In THEORY, insurance companies pull your abstract each year on renewal and amend your policy ratings accordingly. However, and you didn't hear this from me, it doesn't always work that way. Insurance companies have formulas that estimate for them as to who is most likely to collect tickets and who is not. Because abstracts cost money, if the insurance company thinks you're a low risk to collect tickets, they may only pull an abstract on you ever two or three years. Or as one company I'm aware of, never again.

Well lets hope I'm insured with that one company... :nut:

Masked Bandit
03-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Well lets hope I'm insured with that one company... :nut:

I can neither confirm nor deny the general procedures of the company you're with, however a few things will generally trigger a more frequent abstract pull:

- Being under 25.
- Having at least one ticket on your record in the past three years (that they know about obviously).
- Having a chargeable claim in the past six years.
- Having an impaired in the last decade.

So basically, once you're over 25 with a clean record, the chances of an annual abstract pull drop dramatically.

clem24
03-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Untrue - all depends on the situation. I got mine changed to failure to obey signage or something along those lines (I got busted in a speed zone change from 70 to 50).

know1edge
03-09-2015, 06:42 PM

Seks
04-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Went to see the JOP. No demerits but I still had to pay the same amount for fine.

JustinMCS
04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Any rules to seeing the jop? Tips? Tricks?

snowcat
04-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Went to see the JOP. No demerits but I still had to pay the same amount for fine.

your insurance will still see the ticket in this case.

revelations
04-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Bill - an expert in the field of insurance in Alberta.

your insurance will still see the ticket in this case.

Elliott - an angry motorcycle rider.

:dunno: