PDA

View Full Version : Going to build my garage - couple questions

HomespunLobster
03-08-2015, 12:19 PM
So I'm getting things lined up for the garage, but now I have to finish the fine work.

Permits:
I know I need a building plan and property report, is there an easy way to get this done and drawn up? I'm thinking rona for the whole garage package, but the building plan has to be drawn up as well. I've personally never drawn one so not sure what to include. The garage is going to have a pony wall around the outside
Do I need to get the electrical and gas permit at the time of the development permit?
Has anyone ever built a garage which exceeds the 50% land usage? I've heard of people getting it done but wondering what the process is. (My garage puts me at 55%~ of my land usage)

Tik-Tok
03-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster

Has anyone ever built a garage which exceeds the 50% land usage? I've heard of people getting it done but wondering what the process is. (My garage puts me at 55%~ of my land usage)

Do you know for sure your community is 50%? Every area is different, but I believe 45% is the norm.

OU812
03-08-2015, 02:08 PM
yep 45% is a city bylaw

raceman6135
03-08-2015, 06:17 PM
You only need to pull an electrical permit if you're running electrical from the main panel (i.e. the consumer side), through a trench, to the garage (or a sub panel in the garage). Therefore, if for now you're just going to pour a concrete floor, put up walls and a roof, you don't need an electrical permit.

Homeowners cannot pull a gas permit at all. Only licensed gasfitters can do that.

jeffh
03-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Ya you will need a development permit which i think is >$1000. Not sure on the whole process for that tho.

City can be a little picky about minor things, like which direction the peak of your roof is, they'll want it to match the house. Just kinda copy your rpr plan for your drawings as best you can, the city will mark em up if they feel like it. Note if there are any neighbouring garages as there may be a fire code issue with vented soffits. Also note you are getting a 'garage package' as this will ensure your trusses are engineered already.

Side note that your plans dont require, make sure you het those pony walls to go completely around to the edges of the overhead door. The inside corners are a hot-spot for water to pool and possibly damage wood structure.

HomespunLobster
03-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Yeah, could be 45%. But there are garages on my street I know are taking up more space than that. Rented a place where it was more than that so just inquiringly into the process with that.

schurchill39
03-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Do you know for sure your community is 50%? Every area is different, but I believe 45% is the norm.

Originally posted by OU812
yep 45% is a city bylaw

It varies by community as Tik-Tok said. I just went through it last year and was allowed 55%

Originally posted by raceman6135
You only need to pull an electrical permit if you're running electrical from the main panel (i.e. the consumer side), through a trench, to the garage (or a sub panel in the garage). Therefore, if for now you're just going to pour a concrete floor, put up walls and a roof, you don't need an electrical permit.

Homeowners cannot pull a gas permit at all. Only licensed gasfitters can do that.

You also do not need to pull an electrical permit BEFORE you run any wires. Just "before you hook it up to power". I had my whole garage wired but not hooked up and then pulled the permit and had them give it the rough-in inspection the next day.

ShermanEF9
03-12-2015, 05:01 PM
isn't there also a certain size before it has to be engineered? im not sure the size off the top of my head, but it came up in conversation with some friends once.

pheoxs
03-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
isn't there also a certain size before it has to be engineered? im not sure the size off the top of my head, but it came up in conversation with some friends once.

Off the top of my head its over 24x24 you would need an engineered slab or something like that.