PDA

View Full Version : How long will Bertuzzi be suspended for?

Pages : [1] 2

R-Audi
03-09-2004, 12:19 AM
After his cheap shot tonight on Moore, how long do you think he will be suspended?
To me it looks a little better then the famous McSorley... Hopefully Moore is Ok!
What a cheapshot Bastard Bertuzzi is.....:thumbsdow

ryder_23
03-09-2004, 12:21 AM
I havnt seen it yet, looking for highlites...said its up next , i'll vote in a minute

88CRX
03-09-2004, 12:21 AM
10 games. maybe the rest of the regular season. personally i couldnt care less, bertuzzi is an ass of a hockey player :thumbsdow

ryder_23
03-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Ok, just saw it...thats reminds me of the mcsorley without the stick...:thumbsdow i think he should be gone for 10 games

R-Audi
03-09-2004, 12:29 AM
I compared it to the McSorley as well, (but without a stick)
I think alot will depend on the extent of the injury on Moore. Hope he's OK!

:guns: Bertuzzi!

Gondi Stylez
03-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I compared it to the McSorley as well, (but without a stick)
I think alot will depend on the extent of the injury on Moore. Hope he's OK!

:guns: Bertuzzi!

:werd: i just saw that and that was fuckin cheap as shit! i dont think hell get 10 games but i would like to see him get 6-7, should teach him a lesson, but likeu said will depend on Moore' injury!

avs and van dont play now till "maybe" playoffs! if my predictions is right then they will meet in the conference final.. maybe the 2nd round but when they do bertuzzi will have hell to pay! plus they got raped ... 9-2!! woo hoo!! go avs go!:D

GDCivicSi
03-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Talk about REVENGE.
Bertuzzi makes me sick.
He better get at least 10 games.
Watching that made me sick.
What a f***ing pussy.
Soooo typical of him.....
What a baby.... cheapshot from behind....
That pretty much somes up the kind of man Bertuzzi is.

"Bertuzzi grabbed the back of Moore's sweater and delivered a round-house swing with his gloved right hand that struck Moore's head. Moore fell head first to the ice under the weight of Bertuzzi, who came down on top of him at the 8:41 mark. Colorado was leading 8-2 at the time.
A pool of blood formed around Moore's head as he lay motionless on the ice. A stretcher was wheeled out and after a delay of nearly 10 minutes the 25-year-old native of Windsor, Ont., was taken off for medical attention."

lam-boy
03-09-2004, 12:55 AM
im saying AT LEAST 10 games.

moore was bleeding from hsi head and out for aprox 10 mins!

lam-boy
03-09-2004, 12:59 AM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=75625

whats even worse is that vancouver fans started throwing cups into colorados bench after wards.

and a huge fight broke out in the stands.

vancouver = :drama: :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

Dave P
03-09-2004, 01:00 AM
That was sick.

I hope they make a fuckin example of that.

I mean i enjoy a good rival as much as the next person, but that shit has no place in any sport

Gondi Stylez
03-09-2004, 01:09 AM
the clip on headline sports didnt show all the blood.. i didnt think it was THAT bad!!

now my opinion has chnage from what i have read! 10+ games for sure, nothing less... i would say gone for rest fo the year! this is fuckin sick!

NickGT
03-09-2004, 01:18 AM
http://www.hockey-fights.com/videos/20040308/BertuzziSuckerPunch.wmv

Hope I'm not to late, but there's a link to the video.

Bertuzzi is a pussy.

core_upt
03-09-2004, 02:17 AM
Man, that was fucking disgusting. Bertuzzi is such a piece of shit and I hope the league gives him at least ten games AND fines the team. They promised the blood of Steve Moore and Bertuzzi delivered. The worst part is that tomorrow Vancouver will complain about it. Fucking pussies, they're almost as bad as Toronto. If they meet in the playoffs, Warrell is going to tune Bertuzzi for sure. That hit was :bullshit:

nismodrifter
03-09-2004, 02:26 AM
that is just plain wrong:thumbsdow hit from behind and THEN face first into the ice :thumbsdow

mo_virgin
03-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Fuck you ALL!!! Bertuzzi is fucking awsome, it was revenge for the concussion to Nasland. It was a cheap shot but so was the one to Nasland.

RiCE-DaDDy
03-09-2004, 03:38 AM
jj tuzzi SUCKS!!! he's the biggest baby, he's a "tough" guy and all he does is take cheap shots and fights guys that are smaller than him! He's a big pussy

Moore made a "in-game" hit (the hit was part of the game) which was a bit more severe than anticipated. Canucks had every right to avenge that, i agree.

But what Bertuzzi did is completely in another league

mo_virgin
03-09-2004, 03:49 AM
I think that it was a pretty sweet move... reminded me of the WWF... without the soft ring

sputnik
03-09-2004, 08:15 AM
hopefully bertuzzi gets 15+ games and misses some of the early playoff games.

go calgary go!

and for the record... naslund is a pussy

roopi
03-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by mo_virgin
Fuck you ALL!!! Bertuzzi is fucking awsome, it was revenge for the concussion to Nasland. It was a cheap shot but so was the one to Nasland.

:werd:

Originally posted by sputnik

and for the record... naslund is a pussy

aren't all the good players mostly? i don't recall guys like gretzky, lemieux, sakic being touch guys

roopi
03-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Also it's not like he drove his head into the ice. He just fell on top of him.

Crawford playing it cool. :thumbsup:

88CRX
03-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Just because Naslund is a so called "star player" does not mean he isnt free game when it comes to physical play. You guys saying the Naslund hit was cheap is a typical pussy ass vacouver fan cop out.

NASLUND IS A PUSSY.

VANCOUVER IS A BUNCH OF WIENERS.

AND VANCOUVER FANS FIT RIGHT IN BETWEEN.

Go Flames Go.!!!!!!!!!!!

Dope Dealer
03-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Moore had it coming.. He hit Saprykin in the face with a stick, then gave Naslund a concussion. The next guy that has it coming is the Ruutu (I think that's him? He played for Canada, only Indian I think?). I personally like Bertuzzi, but that was a cheap shot. He should have at least gave Moore a chance, and then humiliate him.

He is gone for the rest of the season, and maybe one or two playoff games as well, but I doubt it.

R-Audi
03-09-2004, 10:34 AM

The hit with Naslund wasn't with intent to injure. Sure it was a mean elbow, but at the same time, Naslund was falling when he hit him. Its not like moore had his elbow head level...
Hopefully Bertuzzi wil ay severely for this.

switch
03-09-2004, 11:16 AM
He is a great player that made a HUGE mistake in the heat of a battle.

I agree, Bert should pay for his actions but you haters are lame, and Moore is no angel. I am not saying he deserved it but he had it coming.

Calling him a pussy? He could eat any flame for breakfast and come back for more.

GO CANUCKS GO.

Hakkola
03-09-2004, 11:30 AM
I hope Bertuzzi get's 10 games or the remainder of the season before playoffs, it's too bad he had to do it this way, he's a good player.

Lemieux is not a pussy.

Ruutu is Finnish, one of two brothers playing in the NHL. You're thinking of Tootoo, plays for preds? He's the Inuit guy.

lam-boy
03-09-2004, 11:35 AM

You must be a Vancouver fan. For 1, naslund being ooh so finesse, slipped. Moore already was going for naslund and naslund got hit with a body check. It was by no means meant to give him a concussion, Naslunds head was just down about body level when he got the living daylights smacked out of hsi ass.

Originally posted by Dope Dealer
Moore had it coming.. He hit Saprykin in the face with a stick, then gave Naslund a concussion. The next guy that has it coming is the Ruutu (I think that's him? He played for Canada, only Indian I think?). I personally like Bertuzzi, but that was a cheap shot. He should have at least gave Moore a chance, and then humiliate him.

He is gone for the rest of the season, and maybe one or two playoff games as well, but I doubt it.

He had it coming? Okay, he fought Cooke, one of vancouvers agitator guys. He doesn't have to fight the whole fucking team for vancouver to get revenge on him. Cooke challenged Moore won. If naslund is so hardcore, why didn't get get him man-to-man?
Burtuzzi is a whiney little bitch. all he does is whine and make dirty plays. only reason he smoked moore is because hes a neanderthal who doesn't know nothing cept for Ooga booga, no naslund = no points for me.

Ruutu is gonna get something for saying something to Worrell that really sparked him im thinking maybe a racial name?

TooToo is another Native player on the canadian team...and that guy is a bitch too. Bites people when they fight him and he juimps people from behind too.

I mean yeah sure he deserved some punishment. Yeah he fought cooke, but that sucker punch was by no means necessary these guys are role models for little kids. not no WWE HARDCORE CHAMPION SHIP KING OF THE RING ROYAL RUMBLE WRESTLE MANIA 1993 action superstar.

No one deserves sneak attacks like that.
McSorley's hit on brashear was just out of line
johnson's sucker punch on bukeboom gave him a reason to retire (concussion woes)

Hakkola
03-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by lam-boy

Ruutu is gonna get something for saying something to Worrell that really sparked him im thinking maybe a racial name?

TooToo is another Native player on the canadian team...and that guy is a bitch too. Bites people when they fight him and he juimps people from behind too.

Probably not a racial name, we'd have heard about it by now I think.

Again, Ruutu is not Native!

NickGT
03-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Moore has a broken neck! Just heard on sportsnet. Bertuzzi is a disgrace. Naslund even referred to Bertuzzi's punch as a sucker punch. The fat bastard deserves whatever he gets and more.

R-Audi
03-09-2004, 12:03 PM
I hope he gets close to McSorleys suspension-Rest of the Season!!!

Hakkola
03-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Is it a fracture or a paralyzing break?

If it's that bad I hope Bertuzzi doesn't play for as long as Moore is out, if it ends Moore's career it should end Bertuzzi's, I can't see this happen, but wish it would.

lam-boy
03-09-2004, 12:28 PM
C3 and C4 vertebraes are broken i've heard.

Def_3
03-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I hope that cheap piece of shit never plays again..... I have NO respect for players like him. Same with worrell, jumping oliwa from behind the other night against the flames. Players like that should be beat with a rubber hose and never allowed back!!!!!! FUCKIN spineless COWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped: :whipped:

Def_3
03-09-2004, 12:35 PM

I would LOVE to get you on the ice buddy

T5_X
03-09-2004, 12:45 PM
OMFG.
I am a big Vancouver fan and I fucking hate Bertuzzi. He brings an element of Toronto Maple Leafs "goon" hockey to the Canucks.
I watched the Avs, Canucks game in Vancouver when Moore delivered the hit to Naslund. The next day the papers and the Vancouver media were screaming for revenge. FUCK THEM! The hit was not intentionally to hurt Naslund. Hits like that occur all the time, its just part of the game, and justice SHOULD be blind no matter who gets hit. The media in Vancouver just fueled this fucking call for revenge, and it will probably cost a guy his entire career now. I listened to the game on straming radio last night, it was sickening. The type of game Vancouver played (and a few of the Avs... like Worrell) was juvenile, it represented everything that is wrong with the NHL.
Bertuzzi should have never been let into the NHL. He has the maturity of a 4 year old. He disgraces our game and our country. Remember the playoffs last year? He took so many stupid penalties that resulted in goals. We probably would have made it to the semifinals if it wasn't for him.

hyperwhite
03-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Probably not a racial name, we'd have heard about it by now I think.

Again, Ruutu is not Native!

Ruutu is from finland or sweden or somewhere over there isn't he?

BTW, this is more like the matt johnson on jeff buekaboom (i don't know how to spell his name:dunno: ) sucker punch than the McSorley incident

Canadian 2.5RS
03-09-2004, 01:55 PM
i need a link i missed it and the first link is dead.:(

pile_0_crap
03-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Bertuzzi is a bitch. Its one thing to go after Moore for what happened to Naslund but do it like a man and do it face to face. :bullshit:

Hakkola
03-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by hyperwhite

Ruutu is from finland or sweden or somewhere over there isn't he?

Sarcasm?? Sorry it's hard to detect, I said in my earlier post he's from Finland.

Roadrage
03-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by switch
He is a great player that made a HUGE mistake in the heat of a battle.

It was a huge mistake but was NOT in the heat of battle. If you watched the highlights, you would have noticed Bertuzzi chase after Moore, grab the back of his jersey and then sucker punch him. Therefore, it was planned.

mo_virgin
03-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Def_3

I would LOVE to get you on the ice buddy

sorry buddy im straight...

SI-vic
03-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Roadrage

It was a huge mistake but was NOT in the heat of battle. If you watched the highlights, you would have noticed Bertuzzi chase after Moore, grab the back of his jersey and then sucker punch him. Therefore, it was planned.

It might have been a planned attack. who knows, might not have been. I dont think Bertuzzi actually drew it out on paper, I think he just thought of what to do and DID it. No other thinking was involved.

Bertuzzi was pissed off because of the "dirty hit" on Naslund a while back ago.... plus their team was being slaughtered 8-2 at the time.
Bertuzzi wasnt thinking clearly and obviously wanted to get Moore back.

If Vancouver was up 8-2 I bet Bertuzzi wouldnt be in this situation that he is in.
I feel bad for both players, Bertuzzi (because im sure he feels like #%@^ right now and feels really ashamed and embarassed)
AND ESPECIALLY Moore.
He didnt deserve a broken neck and a concussion which could maybe break his career.

Remember Jeff Bookaboom from the NYR?
He recieved a sucker punch to the back of the head from a L.A King about 7years ago? That led to his first major concussion.... with MANY to follow. They said that the sucker punch was the turning point in bookaboom's career and is the reason why he started getting so many concussions thereafter.

The same may happen to Moore, his head will most likely recieve many concussions in the following years. He's a rookie, so young. Gone.

I bet Moore will become more of a Sakic/Lemiuex player now.
He wont dish out as many body checks and he wont be as aggressive anymore.

gongSHOW
03-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Ok, I have lost, of what little respect I had for the whole Vancouver Canucks team! First we have Brad May acting like a complete retard going up to Abeschier after each goal and dancing like a faggot. Then we have this cheap crap from Bertuzzi, he wasn't even looking at him let alone had the puck! I understand that it was defending Naslund, but you have to understand that hits like that happen in hockey (it is completely legal, he put himself in the vulenrable position) and there is no need for sucker punches like that! If you can't handle to lose 9 - 2 then don't play hockey!

accordboi_02
03-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Calling him a pussy? He could eat any flame for breakfast and come back for more.

Hmmm... I think Simon would own Bert in a fair fight - if Bert is even capable of that. And, I would take Iggy over Bertuzzi anyday.
Iggy can score without a superstar setup man, and he's not a sucker punching pussy. If Iggy is pissed off, he'll drop the gloves fair and square.

On another note, there's word that Bertuzzi is going to face criminal charges as well now. I hope that thug gets nailed. His cowardly actions may cost the Canucks a chance to go far into the playoffs... some team leader. :rolleyes:

switch
03-09-2004, 04:59 PM
I think it probably turned out worse than Bertuzzi had intended - if Moore had just faced up to it to answer for his gutless hit on Naslund, the Bertuzzi hit never would have happened. It looked to me Bertuzzi was trying to spin Moore around to face him as he threw a punch, and Moore did everything he could do to spin away from Bertuzzi. It looks to me like Mr. Moore likes to dish it out, but isn't prepared to take it.

My frustrations and embarassment as a canuck fan aside, he needs at least 10 games off.

Also, a gutsy game by Brad May and congrads to Linden.

ryder_23
03-09-2004, 05:12 PM

So what? Its part of the game people get knocked out...and if it wasn't a clean hit, let the league deal with it.

I think that it was a pretty sweet move... reminded me of the WWF... without the soft ring

Grow up man. That hit just proved bertuzzi was too much of a pussy to take him 1 on 1...

sorry buddy im straight...

I'm sure you are :rolleyes:

Cheap shots like that are just totally unecessary. Its bad for the NHL and gives 12 year olds bad ideas...like the virgin^^^

A_3
03-09-2004, 05:21 PM
I used to think Bertuzzi was awesome, then i saw that hit... totally uncalled for i don't care what Moore did at least Naslund was making a play for the puck when it happend. Bertuzzi just grabbed the kid and nailed him. It's crap like that that gives the NHL a bad name. I don't think criminal charges are necessary but i think a suspension into the playoffs is definetly called for.

NickGT
03-09-2004, 05:26 PM
I think it probably turned out worse than Bertuzzi had intended - if Moore had just faced up to it to answer for his gutless hit on Naslund, the Bertuzzi hit never would have happened. It looked to me Bertuzzi was trying to spin Moore around to face him as he threw a punch, and Moore did everything he could do to spin away from Bertuzzi. It looks to me like Mr. Moore likes to dish it out, but isn't prepared to take it.

My frustrations and embarassment as a canuck fan aside, he needs at least 10 games off.

Also, a gutsy game by Brad May and congrads to Linden.

There was absolutely no attempt to turn him around. The fat ass had to pull him by the jersey to get him close enough to sucker punch him, what an embarassment. It took him so long to do it cause hes so fat and slow, there is no doubt in my mind, he knew exactly what he was about to do.

I'm sure Moore would have stood up for himself given the chance, and accept whatever Vancouver had in mind. That would be proper justice if someone squared off with him. But this was just a cheap shot plain and simple, Moore had no idea it was coming. The kid has a broken neck, and your saying its his own fault, and he can't take anything. Please. Bertuzzi is a meathead plain and simple.

switch
03-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by NickGT

There was absolutely no attempt to turn him around. The fat ass had to pull him by the jersey to get him close enough to sucker punch him, what an embarassment. It took him so long to do it cause hes so fat and slow, there is no doubt in my mind, he knew exactly what he was about to do.

I'm sure Moore would have stood up for himself given the chance, and accept whatever Vancouver had in mind. That would be proper justice if someone squared off with him. But this was just a cheap shot plain and simple, Moore had no idea it was coming. The kid has a broken neck, and your saying its his own fault, and he can't take anything. Please. Bertuzzi is a meathead plain and simple.

The whole game was ugly and out of control from the start. The officials had every opportunity to keep this game just that, a game. It was a travesty, they had done such a good job overall in Colorado. What Bert did was wrong, but the blame for this so called game can be shared. From officials, to players to even the coaches. Avs coach could see something was coming, why did he throw the kid on the ice? As soon as the game got out of reach, there were a lot of cheap hits on both sides, but calls only made for one team. Bert will likely get a suspension, but I also think there should be others held to account here. Also, yes, the initial injury was due to Bert, however, how many guys ended up on top of both of them to make things even worse?

NickGT
03-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Yah I can just imagine the damage the pile up did, but most of the damage was probably done when the fat fuck fell on top of him after driving his face straight into the ice. I still think that these professional atheletes get paid millions of dollars, they should at least have the few brain cells required to make a proper decision as to how to handle a situation like this. Square off, settle things. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that everything Bertuzzi did is not only wrong, but against the law.

quiksilver
03-09-2004, 05:39 PM
did anybody here watch the whole game? i was just wondering because i am quite sure bertuzzi was trying to fight him the whole game. i agree it was a dirty hit but it happens when you challenge a guy to fight and he ignores it is going to boil over soon enough.

i have seen a couple of bertuzzi fights and he isnt a pussy i thinks he does'nt know his own strength (i'm not saying iy was'nt cheep). he his a big guy and can handle himself.

When the canuks and avs play again this year or when ever i cant wait for the bertuzzi @ worrel fight because bertuzzi can fight

91_Integz
03-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Bertuzzi knew what the hell he was doing. He's a cheap piece of shit and a gutless hockey player. If he wanted to fight moore at least get him from the front. He deserves the rest of the season off, to come back for playoffs and then get beat out first round like Vancouver will. He'll get what he deserves one day...

Weapon_R
03-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Someone post up the link! I missed it.

Def_3
03-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

So what? Its part of the game people get knocked out...and if it wasn't a clean hit, let the league deal with it.

Grow up man. That hit just proved bertuzzi was too much of a pussy to take him 1 on 1...

Cheap shots like that are just totally unecessary. Its bad for the NHL and gives 12 year olds bad ideas...like the virgin^^^

:werd: :werd: :werd:

gongSHOW
03-09-2004, 06:24 PM
dude i don't think that he had any intention of turning Moore around, he didn't want to fight, then why should he sucker punch him in the head? Its not hte officials job to control the players and coaches its themselves. How can they stop actions like this, all they can do is make penalties, they cannot anticipate when a player is going to sucker punch another one!

SI-vic
03-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by NickGT

So why dont you start bitchin' at Worrell?
His mugging on Oliwa wasnt exactly angellic either.

As for you saying Moore had no idea it was coming?
You gotta be joking me right....
Moore had an idea that the Vancouver players were tagetting him. If he didnt know then maybe he should use his brain a little bit more often.
By no means do I think what Bertuzzi did was right.....
but maybe some people are jumping on his back for an incident that happens often in the NHL. The only difference is that the result was worse.

mo_virgin
03-09-2004, 06:44 PM

Let the league deal with it? uh huh... i would sure want you on my team.

Bertuzzi was trying to fight him the whole game, Moore's the pussy

I don't wish for anybody with a broken neck... nobody does but i don't think that is what he intended to do.

Yeah thats fucking original

ninjak84
03-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Everyone's forgetting about Naslund.
Bertuzzi had every right to cheap shot and beat the shit out of Moore, but NOT break his neck. I don't think the neck was planned at all, and it's a general shitty thing to happen. Hopefully Moore learns his lesson from this too, because if Bertuzzi ever gets to play again, I'm sure he'll have learned his.

This is a reminder to everyone that's it's a fucking game. Chill out. Just look at some of the people in this thread that want to fight eachother over the issue :rolleyes:

The sad part, is that no one learned from Donald, and no one will learn a damn thing from Moore. Don't believe me? Wait till the Senators play the Flyers next.

88CRX
03-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
Everyone's forgetting about Naslund.
Bertuzzi had every right to cheap shot and beat the shit out of Moore, but NOT break his neck. I don't think the neck was planned at all, and it's a general shitty thing to happen. Hopefully Moore learns his lesson from this too, because if Bertuzzi ever gets to play again, I'm sure he'll have learned his.

This is a reminder to everyone that's it's a fucking game. Chill out. Just look at some of the people in this thread that want to fight eachother over the issue :rolleyes:

The sad part, is that no one learned from Donald, and no one will learn a damn thing from Moore. Don't believe me? Wait till the Senators play the Flyers next.

Exactly!!!! ITS JUST A GAME!!!! Betuzzi should realize this. And the hit on Naslund was NOT cheap at all. It Naslund feels the urge to set himself up like that its his own god dam fault. Naslund deserved what he got. Moore however did not deserve what he got.

Bertuzzi has the right to cheap shot moore :banghead: are you fucking retarded or what?

SI-vic
03-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Exactly!!!! ITS JUST A GAME!!!! Betuzzi should realize this. And the hit on Naslund was NOT cheap at all. It Naslund feels the urge to set himself up like that its his own god dam fault. Naslund deserved what he got. Moore however did not deserve what he got.

Bertuzzi has the right to cheap shot moore :banghead: are you fucking retarded or what?

Everyone has their own opinion on Steve Moore's hit on Naslund.
In my opinion it looked like a cheap shot, you can argue with me on it if you wish BUT we'll never agree on it.

Lets agree that Bert's punch was a cheap shot.

ITS JUST A GAME???
no its not just a game.... when you play midget hockey and little leagues THEN its just a game

Professional Sports is about winning. It's about the championship.

RiCE-DaDDy
03-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Police investigating the incident! :eek:

good one tuzzi!:thumbsup:

Also if you wanna talk about ITS JUST A GAME.

Yes it is!! But tuzzi broke his neck and damn near killed him!

Ben
03-09-2004, 07:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1754963#

Bertuzzi incident prompts police inquiry

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore will miss the rest of the season with a fractured neck after a hit by Vancouver's Todd Bertuzzi, prompting a police investigation.

Moore also sustained a concussion and deep facial cuts, the Avalanche said Tuesday. He will remain hospitalized in Vancouver indefinitely, Colorado trainer Pat Karns said.

Bertuzzi has been suspended indefinitely pending a hearing at the NHL office in Toronto on Wednesday.

Moore was slugged in the side of the head by Bertuzzi late in Monday night's game, a 9-2 Colorado victory. Bertuzzi struck him from behind and drove his head into the ice. Moore landed face-first -- with Bertuzzi on top of him -- and lay in a pool of blood for several minutes before he was removed from the ice on a stretcher.

British Columbia Solicitor General Rich Coleman and Vancouver police said Tuesday an investigation has begun.

This will be the second time in recent years Vancouver police have become involved in an on-ice hit at an NHL game. Former NHL tough guy Marty McSorley was charged for hitting then-Vancouver Canuck Donald Brashear with his stick in February 2000.

While playing for the Boston Bruins, McSorley drew a one-year suspension for using his stick to hit Brashear on the side of the head. Brashear was knocked unconscious and missed 20 games with a concussion.

McSorley was tried in court and received a conditional sentence for assault with a weapon, but his one-year suspension from the NHL ended his 17-year career.

The Avalanche said that when Moore's condition improves, he will be transferred to Craig Hospital in Denver and evaluated by neurosurgeons.

"Steve knows he has the support of the entire Avalanche family and hockey fans throughout the world, and we hope that he recovers as soon as possible," Avalanche president and general manager Pierre Lacroix said.

core_upt
03-09-2004, 08:12 PM
When Moore hit Naslund, Naslund was reaching forward to get the puck in front of him. Moore had him lined up and by the time the two collided Naslund was half way down for the pcuk resulting in an elbow to the head. The hit would've been clean if Naslund had not been so low, but that was his action, not Moore's. Since the hit Vancouver swore revenge on Moore.

Matt Cooke fought Moore in the first period, and fair enough. The Canucks got their revenge. But Bertuzzi felt that it wasn't enough and maliciously went after Moore. I think the intent to injure was way more severe in this case then in any other fight aside from The Johnson-Bukeboom hit or the McSorley-Brashear slash.

Oliwa got mugged by Worrell the other night, but the two had been scrapping all night, and Oliwa actually saw Worrell coming at him, couldn't prepare himself quick enough and turtled. Fair enough, I would do the same! When Worrell went after him, I don't think Worrell wanted to knock him out, or injure him, just fight him.

Bertuzzi should be gone for the season and playoffs no question. I would think that he shouldn't play in the league again based on his record for violent outbursts. The guy, top scorer or not, is a goon.

It was also just announced the Moore has now been able to move his arms and legs, so at least he's not paralyzed. I think the lesson he learned is that Bertuzzi is a fucking thug.

Alpine Autowerks
03-09-2004, 08:52 PM
he can start a 10 game after he gets out of prison (2-3) for agravated asault.

gongSHOW
03-09-2004, 09:50 PM
for all those who didn't see it here it is, the complete game highlights:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/players/video?skin=basic&format=wmp&rate=300&id=1754924&wmp9

A2VR6
03-09-2004, 11:43 PM
In my opinion, Bertuzzi has disgraced not only himself, but his team as well. I dont know how this will affect the morale of the Canucks, hopefully the team will band together and fight through this tough time. In all honesty I think Bertuzzi should be out as long as Moore is out. Only that is fair.

SI-vic
03-09-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
In my opinion, Bertuzzi has disgraced not only himself, but his team as well. I dont know how this will affect the morale of the Canucks, hopefully the team will band together and fight through this tough time. In all honesty I think Bertuzzi should be out as long as Moore is out. Only that is fair.

Of course the team will stick together and fight through.... if they dont then they're not much of a team then right?

Bertuzzi should be out as long as Moore is out?
Thats pretty good, but it should be something like 20 games + the length of Moore's absence.

Also, I think what Bertuzzi did shows what kind of player he is.
a Thug sure...... but also it shows that he is LOYAL to his teammates and friends.

MM99lude
03-10-2004, 01:50 AM
oh man i just saw the video for the first time just now, and i say he should be done for the rest of this season for sure! no more regular season or playoffs... i mean sure you gotta stick up for your team mates but what what he did is just a shame, moore didn't deserve a broken neck, and if he never returns to the leauge neither should bertuzzi!

lam-boy
03-10-2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by SI-vic

Of course the team will stick together and fight through.... if they dont then they're not much of a team then right?

Bertuzzi should be out as long as Moore is out?
Thats pretty good, but it should be something like 20 games + the length of Moore's absence.

Also, I think what Bertuzzi did shows what kind of player he is.
a Thug sure...... but also it shows that he is LOYAL to his teammates and friends.

loyal?
he just made vancouver look like a buncha neaderthals!
ooga booga!

gongSHOW
03-10-2004, 08:14 AM
The hit that Moore made on Naslund was clean! Just Naslund put himself in a very vulnerable position and thus he got injured. There was nothing cheap about the play, that Moore did to Naslund!

switch
03-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Let's face it. If Moore didn't get knocked out, or fracture his neck, this whole incident would be a blip on the NHL radar screen.

Sure the outcome was serious, but to attribute the outcome solely to Bert is ridiculous.

I seem to recall a few years back when Granato played for the Kings, he double-handed his stick like an axe over another guy's head from behind, knocking him unconscious, yet he's interviewed saying he can relate to Moore having been injured in a similar manner- funny he can't relate to the circumstances Bert now finds himself in. Ain't memory convenient.

The fact is Bert didn't use his stick. He punched a guy wearing a helmet in the head. Sure it was cheap, but shit like this happens all the time in the NHL.

Fact is Granato is a dick for playing Moore when the game was obviously on full boil.

Steve Moore had to have something coming to him. You could see Bertuzzi talking to him, all the way down the ice, chasing him around, tugging on his jersey. Moore knew it was coming. If he was a man, he would turn around and drop the gloves with Bertuzzi. As a hockey player he should understand and want to be held accountable for his actions. Bertuzzi tried to get him to go, Moore didn't oblige, and therefore Bertuzzi sucker punched him. Was he trying to break his neck? Of course not.

Do I agree with sucker punching a guy? No. Do I want to see Steve Moore (or any other player) get seriously injured? Not at all.

But jesus, he would have to be an idiot to think nothing would happen to him because of the hit on Naslund. Something NEEDED to be done. Whether it is cheap or not. And I don't see how anybody does not understand that....

I find it funny how many fans turn into pacifist tree-huggers when something like this happens and seem to forget they are watching a sport that encourages violence.

hyperwhite
03-10-2004, 12:52 PM
it wasn't bertuzzi's fault that he broke his neck, it was the half dozen other guys that jumped on top of him (including some colorado players). some people are saying he should be out till next season cause he broke his neck. i think he should miss till the playoffs cause he only caused the concusion. Of course thats just what i think and everyone else will continue to rant on :D

gongSHOW
03-10-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
it wasn't bertuzzi's fault that he broke his neck, it was the half dozen other guys that jumped on top of him (including some colorado players). some people are saying he should be out till next season cause he broke his neck. i think he should miss till the playoffs cause he only caused the concusion. Of course thats just what i think and everyone else will continue to rant on :D
Are you kidding me? he threw him to the ice if you look at the replay, face first, thats where he broke his neck!

gongSHOW
03-10-2004, 02:52 PM
Of course it would have been a blimp on the radar screen. Before they even knew that he had fractured his neck, he was accessed a match penalty for intent to injure. This requires an automatic review by the league and an automatic next game suspension! The fact that the guy was skating in the opposite direction and Bertuzzi had to pull him by his jersey to punch him and then he threw him face first to the ice, come on!

Let's face it. If Moore didn't get knocked out, or fracture his neck, this whole incident would be a blip on the NHL radar screen.

Sure the outcome was serious, but to attribute the outcome solely to Bert is ridiculous.

I seem to recall a few years back when Granato played for the Kings, he double-handed his stick like an axe over another guy's head from behind, knocking him unconscious, yet he's interviewed saying he can relate to Moore having been injured in a similar manner- funny he can't relate to the circumstances Bert now finds himself in. Ain't memory convenient.

The fact is Bert didn't use his stick. He punched a guy wearing a helmet in the head. Sure it was cheap, but shit like this happens all the time in the NHL.

Fact is Granato is a dick for playing Moore when the game was obviously on full boil.

Steve Moore had to have something coming to him. You could see Bertuzzi talking to him, all the way down the ice, chasing him around, tugging on his jersey. Moore knew it was coming. If he was a man, he would turn around and drop the gloves with Bertuzzi. As a hockey player he should understand and want to be held accountable for his actions. Bertuzzi tried to get him to go, Moore didn't oblige, and therefore Bertuzzi sucker punched him. Was he trying to break his neck? Of course not.

Do I agree with sucker punching a guy? No. Do I want to see Steve Moore (or any other player) get seriously injured? Not at all.

But jesus, he would have to be an idiot to think nothing would happen to him because of the hit on Naslund. Something NEEDED to be done. Whether it is cheap or not. And I don't see how anybody does not understand that....

I find it funny how many fans turn into pacifist tree-huggers when something like this happens and seem to forget they are watching a sport that encourages violence.

accordboi_02
03-10-2004, 02:53 PM

Speaking of memory being convenient, I seem to remember Morrison and Moore fighting early on in the game... so why does he need to fight 2,3 or more people to "pay" for his hit on Naslund???

The only reason Bertuzzi was upset about losing Naslund is that he knows without him, he will be shown for the no-talent goon that he is.

Even though you love Bertuzzi, and want to make any excuse possible for him, look on the bright side: a long suspension will finally force vancouver to become more than a one line team.

method
03-10-2004, 03:59 PM
on bertuzzi being suspensed: hopefully forever. how he's in the nhl is beyond me sometimes.

on violence in hockey: seriously, hockey has just gone downhill in the violence department, as well as the talent department. players like domi are getting the most attention out of anyone, strictly for being a violent sob. I think it's leaking into other sports... I dunno about you guys, but I never saw fist fights in basketball until like last year... and football is having way more scuffles than it used to.

you have to draw the line somewhere, the hockey rink isnt this 'impenetrable fortress of anti-law'. there's gotta be something to prevent this kind of crap from going on.

switch
03-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Well, as a Vancouver kid and a supporter of Bertuzzi I am fighting a losing battle in a Alberta based forum -- fair enough, I will bow out. :D

http://www.redworx.net/images/churchsign_bert.jpg

hustler
03-10-2004, 04:22 PM
i hope tuzzi is gone for the rest of the year.....i think canucks are preparing for the worst when they aquired sanderson

lam-boy
03-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Well, as a Vancouver kid and a supporter of Bertuzzi I am fighting a losing battle in a Alberta based forum -- fair enough, I will bow out. :D

http://www.redworx.net/images/churchsign_bert.jpg

dude man..it doesn't matter if its alberta based or british columbia based.

you don't fucking sucker punch someone break their neck and call it a day.

gongSHOW
03-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by lam-boy

dude man..it doesn't matter if its alberta based or british columbia based.

you don't fucking sucker punch someone break their neck and call it a day.
:werd:

T5_X
03-10-2004, 09:21 PM

You bring up good points. No, it was not only bert's fault. The originaly hit on Naslund was blown way out of proportion by Vancouver media. Crawford was a baby about it. And Granato is a fucking retard for sending Moore on the ice. WTF was he thinking!? Combine this with a meathead on the ice with an IQ of 20 and a childish temper and trouble can pretty much be expected.

As for hockey being a violent sport? No, it is a PHYSICAL sport. What bert did was assault, plain and simple.

gongSHOW
03-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

You bring up good points. No, it was not only bert's fault. The originaly hit on Naslund was blown way out of proportion by Vancouver media. Crawford was a baby about it. And Granato is a fucking retard for sending Moore on the ice. WTF was he thinking!? Combine this with a meathead on the ice with an IQ of 20 and a childish temper and trouble can pretty much be expected.

As for hockey being a violent sport? No, it is a PHYSICAL sport. What bert did was assault, plain and simple.

not really, Moore at the beginning of hte game already got in a fight, so Granato expected that it was over and done with. But then Vancouver was down 9 - 2 and Bertuzzi was pissed off and the Naslund incident gave him a reason to let his anger off.

Z_Fan
03-10-2004, 10:16 PM

Exactly.

A good coach wouldn't have done that. Not in a 9-2 blow out. No way. That was irresponsible...but he was trying to stir the shit, and shit happened...

Krayzie
03-10-2004, 10:18 PM
this poll is a bit off
i was watching tsn and they said that he will probably miss the rest of the regular season and everyone in the vancouver locker room is questioning if he will miss the play offs
they said its likely he will but im not too sure
could be wrong,

RiCE-DaDDy
03-10-2004, 10:50 PM
It's like you guys are blaming Granato for what happened LOL!
It may of been a mistake, but it's all Bertuzzi's fault plain and simple!

ninjak84
03-10-2004, 11:27 PM
ITS JUST A GAME!!!!

are you fucking retarded or what?

:rolleyes: Grow up kid.

88CRX
03-10-2004, 11:31 PM
Bertuzzi had every right to cheap shot and beat the shit out of Moore,

Grow up kid.

:thumbsup: ok jr.

gongSHOW
03-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

Exactly.

A good coach wouldn't have done that. Not in a 9-2 blow out. No way. That was irresponsible...but he was trying to stir the shit, and shit happened...
Its a 9 - 2 game, who are you gonna put on Kariya, Sakic, Blake, Hejduk, Tanguay? They can't sit him for the rest of the game he had a fight in the first period, he took didn't step down he fought! They should not be afraid to put a player on the ice, what the hell is the point if your afraid? How can you blame Granato for Bertuzzi sucker punching him and then throwing him to the ice!

RiCE-DaDDy
03-11-2004, 01:58 AM
wtf alex??

No one has the right to fuckin break someone's neck it's called assault

CKY
03-11-2004, 02:02 AM
did anyone see his media conference today??
i didnt expect him to actually cry, its so weird when big guys cry

lam-boy
03-11-2004, 03:19 AM
I've read somewhere that Naslund said missing the remainder of the season wouldn't justify it enough.

SI-vic
03-11-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by gongSHOW

Its a 9 - 2 game, who are you gonna put on Kariya, Sakic, Blake, Hejduk, Tanguay? They can't sit him for the rest of the game he had a fight in the first period, he took didn't step down he fought! They should not be afraid to put a player on the ice, what the hell is the point if your afraid? How can you blame Granato for Bertuzzi sucker punching him and then throwing him to the ice!

kariya, sakic, blake and those guys didnt do anything to make the vancouver bench mad.

it was stated by most of the team that they were out to get Moore.
do you think Vancouver was gonna let Moore get away with a small fight after giving their captain a concussion?
the team was mad, 8-2.... it was a blow-out.
everybody knows that tempers flare and games get out of hand when the score is extremely lopsided like this.
Bertuzzi was on the same shift as the
"guy who injured his friend and teammate"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------- if you think violence in the nhl is bad now???
there have been much much worse incidents in the NHL then this.
Back in the 70's and 80's, ice-thugs would slash, hack, tomahok chopped eachother back in the day.

I felt bad for Bertuzzi after everyone start yelling and bitching at him. In my mind, it was not even 100% his fault.
He's human too......
Seeing him cry was pretty crazy though... didnt expect him to be emotional.
but its most likely he's gone for the season + next season (part of it)

gongSHOW
03-11-2004, 06:45 AM
You should never have to expect anything like what happened! You can' blame Granato, the worst thing that should have ever happened was a fight. But the fact that Moore didn't want to didn't change Bertuzzi's mind!

Originally posted by SI-vic

kariya, sakic, blake and those guys didnt do anything to make the vancouver bench mad.

it was stated by most of the team that they were out to get Moore.
do you think Vancouver was gonna let Moore get away with a small fight after giving their captain a concussion?
the team was mad, 8-2.... it was a blow-out.
everybody knows that tempers flare and games get out of hand when the score is extremely lopsided like this.
Bertuzzi was on the same shift as the
"guy who injured his friend and teammate"

--------------------------- if you think violence in the nhl is bad now???
there have been much much worse incidents in the NHL then this.
Back in the 70's and 80's, ice-thugs would slash, hack, tomahok chopped eachother back in the day.

I felt bad for Bertuzzi after everyone start yelling and bitching at him. In my mind, it was not even 100% his fault.
He's human too......
Seeing him cry was pretty crazy though... didnt expect him to be emotional.
but its most likely he's gone for the season + next season (part of it)

accordboi_02
03-11-2004, 08:06 AM
HAHA

that bitch misses the rest of the season, all of the playoffs, and then has to plead his case at the beginning of next season to get back in the NHL...

He just cost his team a legit shot at the Cup... to all Van and Bert fans: was it really worth the revenge?

Kudos to the NHL for not giving him preferential "star" treatment.

:clap: :clap:

switch
03-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Nice comments accordboi -- your maturity really shows through.

Here is a comment from a good friend and co-worker that worked for the canuck organization (from a different forum):

"I worked for the Canucks for 3 years, until this summer, so I've had a pretty good perspective on the team as it has come together. Thought I would clear up a few misconceptions...

Bertuzzi selfish? Hardly - he could have made more money elsewhere, but he likes his teammates, and his best friend, Marcus, too much to leave Vancouver. He routinely passes the puck off when he has the chance to hit an empty net, as evidenced by D. Sedin's recent 4 goal game, when Todd didn't call for the puck near the end of the game, letting Daniel put it in for his 4th instead

Saying that Moore has a glass jaw is incredibly ignorant. Bertuzzi slugged him, plain and simple. And there’s no way Bert wanted to drive his head into the ice – but a lot of reporters wrote it that way, so the names on their by-lines would end up getting picked up by other papers.

Todd may be surly on the outside, but he acts like a kid on the pond in practise, and is a dedicated family man. He is a proud person, and to know he reduced himself to something like this has to be really tough for him – he’s obviously shattered.

The comment about him getting 15 games strikes me as about right. The variable, in my mind, is actually not the extent of Moore’s injuries (edit: whoops - I guess I was wrong), but how the NHL wants to appear in the public eye – outside the hockey world. There are several codes among players, one being that you don’t try to take a star player out. Whether Moore tried to or not, doesn’t justify a sucker punch. Bert has taken out enough players with clean checks this year to make it obvious that he doesn’t need to resort to sucker punching someone - something must have been said or done to get him that angry. Still his bad move, though. Anyway, the non-hockey world doesn’t understand that code, so the NHL might be in the unfortunate situation of having to hand down a decision based partly on its impact on public opinion. Pro sports are entertainment, and the ringmasters have to control their image in order to attract and retain fans.

Bert has made a different contribution to the team this year, and it's shocking how little most hockey fans know about what makes a good hockey player, other than scoring goals. Todd makes space for Nazzy and the other players on the ice. Watch highlights of Canuck goals - it's amazing how often Bert is standing in front of the net when the puck goes in. What you don't see on TV, and what most people (and some people here, evidently) don't seem to see, is how much punishment he takes every night, just for standing there. He often gets penalized for pushing a player back, to try to make space, but due to his strength, the other guy goes down, so before you go hacking on Bert for taking dumb penalties (which he does do sometimes), try watching and observing - it's tough to see if you can't get to a game, but if you go, just watch the players in front of the net sometime. Hockey games are won and lost off the puck, and Todd’s a big reason we won a lot of games the last few years, but in ways that don’t show up on the score sheet.

The Canucks’ season is not over – often I think Canuck fans are worse than Habs fans. For years, we have shitty teams that give us little hope, and now they have built a consistent contender, and still people get down on them after a few losses. Have a little faith, or it’s fair to say you don’t deserve to be a fan. Only 4 points behind Colorado and Detroit, with their huge payrolls and plenty of mega-stars? That’s pretty damn good.

Sorry, I know that was long, but a lot of stuff is being said that needed clearing up. Keep the faith, Canuck fans, this franchise was built from the inside out, and from the net out (Cloutier is the most under appreciated player on the team), and they’ll be competitive for a lot longer."

switch
03-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro
anyone have the vid? i never saw it.....

Here is a link to the vid dude:

http://hfhelper.hockeyfights.com/cf307/040308_bertuzzi_cheapshots_moore.wmv

gongSHOW
03-11-2004, 10:49 AM
this isn't a question on whether Bertuzzi is a good player, we all know he has done a lot of the team. But we are just against such actions that he took. I say good job to the league, they made an appropriate penalty for his actions!

Def_3
03-11-2004, 10:50 AM
what did the cheap bastard get???????????

Def_3
03-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Bertuzzi banned for rest of season
WebPosted Thu Mar 11 11:36:50 2004
CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi has been suspended by the NHL for at least the rest of the regular season and playoffs.

Todd Bertuzzi publicly apologized Wednesday for his on-ice attack on Colorado's Steve Moore. (CP Photo)
The league issued the penalty as a result of Bertuzzi's on-ice attack of Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore on Monday and a disciplinary hearing into the incident Wednesday in Toronto.

Bertuzzi's status for the 2004-05 campaign will be determined by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman prior to the start of training camp next season. His eligibility to play next year will be based partly on Moore's physical condition at that time.

"No final determination on the total duration of Mr. Bertuzzi's suspension has yet been made," Colin Campbell, the NHL's executive vice-president and director of hockey operations, said in a statement.

RELATED:
Canucks begin life without Bertuzzi
Bertuzzi apologizes to Moore
Player bio: Todd Bertuzzi
10 Hockey lowlights
Your thoughts
Bertuzzi will forfeit more than $500,000 US in salary, which will be paid by the Canucks into the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

"When we discussed (the incident) at hockey operations it wasn't whether (a suspension) would be two games or four games," Campbell said during a Thursday morning conference call. "We felt the player (Bertuzzi) had given up his right to perform for the rest of the season."

Campbell stressed the punishment fit the crime.

"It's severe. We did with Todd Bertuzzi like we would anyone in the situation. Because Todd Bertuzzi is an impact player, this will hurt the Vancouver Canucks' chances of being successful in the playoffs, but that didn't matter."

The Vancouver organization was also fined $250,000. Campbell said the Canucks must accept some of the responsibility for what took place.

Bertuzzi's attack on Moore was widely considered revenge for a check that Moore issued on Canucks captain Markus Naslund in a Feb. 16 encounter. Naslund was forced to miss three games due to a concussion.

"In light of numerous player comments about Mr. Moore following the Vancouver-Colorado game of Feb. 16, we believe the Vancouver organization ultimately bears some responsibility for monitoring and, to the extent necessary, attempting to moderate the focus of its team.

"While the league provided appropriate advance warnings to both organizations, and while some steps were apparently taken by the Vancouver organization to ensure a proper focus by the players on the game itself, we believe that more could have and should have been done."

Bertuzzi punched Moore from behind and pushed him down to the ice during the third period of Colorado's 9-2 triumph on Monday. The 25-year-old rookie tumbled face-first and lay motionless for several minutes in a pool of blood before being carried off on a stretcher.

"Mr. Bertuzzi pursued Mr. Moore on the ice, attempting to engage him in a confrontation," Campbell said in the statement.

"When Mr. Moore declined to engage Mr. Bertuzzi, Mr. Bertuzzi responded by delivering a gloved punch from behind to the side of Mr. Moore's head, rendering him unconscious. Upon falling to the ice, Mr. Moore suffered additional serious injuries. We want to make clear that this type of conduct will not be tolerated in the NHL."

Moore remains in a Vancouver hospital with fractured vertebra in his neck, a concussion and facial cuts. He will miss the rest of the season, but is expected to make a full recovery.

With Colorado leading 5-0 after the first period, NHL director of officiating Andy van Hellemond and Campbell paid a visit to the game officials at the intermission to discuss a plan if things got out of hand on the ice.

"We felt we took the steps to address the situation. They're players ... and they're hot-tempered. But we felt more could have been done by the Vancouver organization," said Campbell. "You only have so much control of the players, but we felt there could have been more done to prevent the situation."

The Vancouver organization asked the league to compare Monday's incident with previous on-ice situations, such as Marty McSorley's attack on former Canuck Donald Brashear.

In the dying seconds of a game between the Boston Bruins and Canucks in February 2000, McSorley slashed the side of Brashear's head with his stick. Brashear was knocked unconscious when his head hit the ice.

McSorley was charged and convicted of assault with a weapon and given an 18-month conditional discharge. He never played another NHL game.

Campbell said each incident stands alone when the NHL discusses appropriate punishment.

"This was a situation that involved Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore, and as far as injury, we always take it into consideration. Any injury," said Campbell.

From there, the league discusses whether the victim did something wrong to cause the situation.

"Was it a hockey play or a non-hockey play?" Campbell said. "Steve Moore suffered injuries from a non-hockey play that went above the legal line."

Campbell said the possibility of the Canucks and Colorado meeting in the playoffs wasn't a factor in the league's decision.

"I think (NHL) hockey operations got right on top of it," said NHL general counsel Bill Daly. "They met prior to the (March 3) game in Colorado and the second game (on Monday) in Vancouver. There's only so much the league can do in advance."

A teary-eyed and remorseful Bertuzzi issued an emotional public statement on Wednesday.

The all-star forward paused several times to compose himself before apologizing to Moore, Moore's family, Canucks management, his Vancouver teammates and hockey fans.

Vancouver police are investigating the incident as a potential assault. They say they'll turn the file over to the Crown when their investigation is complete.

This isn't the first time Bertuzzi has been disciplined by the NHL. The 29-year-old forward was suspended for 10 games on Oct. 13, 2001 after leaving the bench to aid teammate Ed Jovanovski, who was jumped by then-Avalanche enforcer Scott Parker.

The Canucks are expected to sorely miss Bertuzzi's top-line production during their bid for the Stanley Cup. The Sudbury, Ont., native has established himself as one of the NHL's elite power forwards.

Although his scoring numbers have dipped this year, he provides leadership and a rugged presence up front for the Canucks.

Vancouver has 12 games remaining in the regular season.

SI-vic
03-11-2004, 02:10 PM
switch, nice last post.
I read about 3/4 of it... hahaha I fully agree with what i had read.
but

Honestly, I think the suspension that was given to him was fair though.

pinoyhero
03-11-2004, 08:44 PM
25 games.