PDA

View Full Version : Calgary dining time restrictions

gkAeris
03-09-2015, 10:29 AM
I go out to eat fairly often and I starting to get annoyed at Calgary restaurants.

Case point 1

I went to Rodney Oyster house with four girlfriends our reservations was for 530pm, we get there at 520pm where the hostess showed us to our table in the corner and while she was placing the menus she said oh btw this table must be cleared by 730pm for the next reservation.

Case point 2

I made reservations for Cleaver restaurant for 530pm on a Friday night for me and four girlfriends. Around 7pm and only halfway thru our second bottle of wine and mid way through dinner , the waitress points out that the next reservations for our table is at 730 and that she would like to know if we would like anything else….i ended up having to cork the bottle and take it to go???

Both cases we were having ladies night and had tons to catch up on and was ordering drinks and wanted to just have nice place to sit down and chat. I realize that dining reservations are tricky some people eat and leave right away…

Case point 3

We went to Charcut for lunch our reservation was for 1230pm, we arrived at 1225pm, the hostess was sitting people wayyyy after us claiming the table “we booked” is still finishing up their lunch so it isn’t ready yet. We didn’t get seated until 1250pm.

Case point 4-6

Went to Rush for lunch with clients, they have $25 lunch specials three course meals. Every time I go there, they “run out of lunch specials” it doesn’t matter if it is 1130 or 1pm they always ran out…really? Why offer it then…

Ok I totally feel like I’m venting now hahahah…
Is anyone else experiencing these issues dining out in Calgary???
:drama:

Manhattan
03-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Never had this issue because I just eat and go regardless of the restaurant. That's eff'd especially if you're paying for drinks through the meal. It's caused by restaurants being managed by 23 year olds instead of the actual owners.

Asian_defender
03-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Strange to hear this from a restaurant like Charcut. It's always been great to me and I've never had a bad experience there. Been there with a couple times for longer meals and I've never experienced this. I didn't even know you could take your bottle of wine to go as thats a different liquor license. Most restaurants don't have this kind of license.

I hope you left a shit tip, I would if I was asked to leave mid way

Rush doesn't surprise me, what a shit restaurant

roopi
03-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Asian_defender
I didn't even know you could take your bottle of wine to go as thats a different liquor license. Most restaurants don't have this kind of license.

I've never had a restaurant deny taking a bottle of wine home before. I didn't realize they could even deny it.

killramos
03-09-2015, 11:14 AM
The only time i have ever tolerated talk like that is when i was a walkin and they wouldn't have been able to accommodate me unless i could agree to be out in 90 minutes.

If i have a reservation that table is mine. Cost of doing business that some customers stay longer than others.

Good luck making me pay a tab when im being asked to leave to make room for more guests :rofl:

Asian_defender
03-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by roopi

I've never had a restaurant deny taking a bottle of wine home before. I didn't realize they could even deny it.

It's a different class of liquor license. There's a small yearly fee of a couple hundred bucks. Most owners are too cheap to pay this to have it added onto their license

max_boost
03-09-2015, 11:39 AM
I believe 2 hours is the norm for dining time. But Gail, next time just make back to back reservations. 5:30 and then 7:30pm haha :D

rage2
03-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Wait till another round of layoffs, and it won't be a problem.

flipstah
03-09-2015, 11:49 AM
This is such a North American thing. Who eats for more than 2 hours? Order; eat; GTFO.

Drink at the bar.

BlueHaloGirl
03-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Not good business IMO.
I've never had this happen except at an all you can eat sushi restaurant where you have a 2hr allowance and were told we had 5mins left. But they make it clear when you arrive that you have 2hrs.

Yes it's possible to spend 2+ hours in a restaurant, enjoying the meal, drinks and company. Can a restaurant do this? yes they can but they won't get a good tip or a very good review. Word of mouth will hurt them in the long run if it continues. The problem is the lack of experienced managers now a days, if you manage your seating charts and reservations appropriately you should never have to rush a table. You should be accounting for this happening and have a few or one table in your pocket for this very situation. Why would you want to kick out a table that is enjoying drinks and spending money? Not the right way to go about running a reputable restaurant.

max_boost
03-09-2015, 12:09 PM
The restaurant is a busy one and patrons told in advanced. It's normal.

lasimmon
03-09-2015, 12:17 PM
If I was told you have 2 hours to eat or something along those lines I would go else where.

The exception is as noted above where you are a walk-in and the only way to get a table is if you have to be gone by the time the reservation is. Places downtown like Local for example do this often and I am ok with it.

austic
03-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
This is such a North American thing. Who eats for more than 2 hours? Order; eat; GTFO.

Drink at the bar.

You must not travel much man, Eating and leaving is a very North American thing. Meals in Europe can be a all night event.

flipstah
03-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by austic

You must not travel much man, Eating and leaving is a very North American thing. Meals in Europe can be a all night event.

Nope, never been to Europe. Asia is eat and leave. They drink outside. :rofl:

CanmoreOrLess
03-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I'd be happy to see this as a trickle-down to cafes. With kids, ten minutes and they need to be told to leave.

Bad table management in the food business asking paying customers to leave. I'd refuse and have them call the police if they like. Let's see how far they take it. Told in advance fine, told after the meal is served, fuck 'em.

Manhattan
03-09-2015, 12:45 PM

:werd: Same thing in Asia at a decent restaurant. Dinner will last all night and comes with lots of drinks.

Waldi
03-09-2015, 01:03 PM

In Europe they will try to keep you as long as possible at the table so "you have enjoyable culinary experience and social as well". For example in France, we found that the biggest problem was to get bill at the end of the dinner service as waiters were avoiding interrupting you. All my local friends would explain that you come for dinner enjoy meal and socialize, you table is your for the night.

GQBalla
03-09-2015, 01:03 PM
I can see this being done at AYCE places but for normal restaurants?

Strider
03-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Never had this happen, but I can't remember the last time I ate dinner at 5:30 :nut:

With how ridiculously busy restaurants are these days, I'm glad that they enforce this -- it's hard enough to get a reservation for a decent sized group one week in advance (and I don't plan meals 2-3 weeks in advance). Would be even worse if restaurants had to start padding their reservation times for people who eat for 3 hours.

If you plan on lingering, try a later seating or move onto a lounge after. Much less likely to be a reservation behind yours if you start at 6:30 or 7:00.

flipstah
03-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan

:werd: Same thing in Asia at a decent restaurant. Dinner will last all night and comes with lots of drinks.

I need to step up my dining game. My meals in Asia are dirt cheap and they drink outside to have a cockfight.

Back on topic, reservations don't have 'time limits' unless they tell you beforehand while making the reservation so you're aware.

IMO: Time limits don't exist if you're not a big party (>6 people) or it's not busy season (holidays).

jdmXSI
03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
I had a similar issue happen when we went to Carion for brunch with a group of people. We got there when we were supposed to, ordered, meals came out staggared and by the time the last meals were delivered they asked us to leave because the next reservation has arrived... Food was good but that was terrible service imo.

jwslam
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Nope, never been to Europe. Asia is eat and leave. They drink outside. :rofl:
This

Menus are posted outside. Read it and consider it there. When you sit you order. Food comes in 5min. Shovel it in and GTFO. Real estate is expensive!

blairtruck
03-09-2015, 01:43 PM
read menu online before you go. order when they arrive with menu. eat. GTFO

npham
03-09-2015, 02:31 PM
I think it has to do with the time that you are making your reservations. Get a late reservation and stay as late as you like. We went to Ox and Angela, as well as the Nash recently, for 4-6 people each time, and we stayed nearly 3 hours each time. No one hinted at kicking us out or needing the table for another group. If you know you are going to spend a long time catching up and enjoying the meal, then get a later reservation and stay as long as you like.

Mitsu3000gt
03-09-2015, 02:46 PM
I've never had a problem taking 3-4 hours to eat/drink with larger groups but any reservation I have made for 2 where I was told to to be out by X:XX time has always been made clear up front, so if I make the decision to go there anyway, I can't be upset when asked to leave at the previously agreed upon time.

Even with 2 people though, I have never been told I would have to be out by X:XX time with later reservations around 8pm.

I go out to eat A LOT and I can count on one hand how many times I have been told there is a time limit on the table, and it's usually quite reasonable (2.5hr or so) and always made clear to us before committing to the reservation. I don't see an issue with it at all unless they surprise you with it during dinner, but that has never happened to me yet. The other thing that sometimes happens is they will say they are full, but if I can be out by X:XX time, they can take us - which is a fair compromise IMO.

I have also been to Rush many times, and they have always had the lunch special available :dunno: Their Calamari is amazing, as are their burgers & salmon.

msommers
03-09-2015, 03:09 PM
This is really odd, I've never heard of this. Mind you I don't eat and drink for 2+ hours unless it's a large group.

If you're drinking and they have a lounge it would seem reasonable for they to ask you to move there or the bar.

Italy and Spain are notorious for having late, very long meals. It's just a time to enjoy each other's company and not shovel food in. That's for take-away lol