PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help from Dirt Bike owners

03-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Hey Guys

I just picked up a used dirt bike as I want to start getting into the sport

I picked up a cheap used chinese dirt bike, Pitster Pro XTR250 LC2.

I need to get a new front wheel, or have it straightened/respoked as its missing 2 spokes and has some trail damage.

Not wanting to spend a fortune, its a chinese bike after all and I dont care about quality wheels at this point for the thing, just need something to get through a season of riding, rubber is good on it.

Any recommendations or suggestions on where to start?

Dave P
03-10-2015, 10:02 AM
I think Ralph's is a Pitster dealer?

Colin_R6
03-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Get a Tusk spoke replacement kit ($20?) and a Tusk Spoke wrench($13?) from Rocky Mountain ATV (or somewhere else you prefer). Make sure its the right size spoke kit (Probably 21 inch rim).

Take wheel off, dismount the rubber, and replace the busted spokes. Be careful and copy the pattern of the other spokes. Might need to add some tire irons to your RMATV order!

Put tire back on, and mount on the bike. Put the bike up on a stand so you can spin the front wheel.

Start fiddle-dicking around with the spoke wrench in the area of the bend on the rim. Remember that to "suck" the bend back to the center, you have to tighten the spoke on the opposite side of the bend, and loosen the spokes on the same side as the bend. You'll figure it out real quick once you start tightening them and watching the rim as it spins.

Also, remember when you are tightening the spoke nipples, that depending on how you are looking at the spoke - the old rule of "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey" may or may not apply!

Thats what i'd do anyway!