PDA

View Full Version : Cryotherapy in Calgary

JordanEG6
03-11-2015, 01:24 PM
So, I've been looking into trying Cryotherapy (or cold sauna) , but the only spas in Canada that I know of are all in BC. Does anyone know of any place that offers this in town? I'd like to try it at least once.

For those that don't know what this is,

"It's a chamber cooled to - 220F in which it uses the extreme temperature to help treat a number of sports and muscle/joint related injuries. You basically sit inside this thing with a t-shirt and shorts (you usually have to wear gloves, earmuffs and socks to prevent acute frostbite) for about 3 minutes. During this time, the body goes into survival mode and blood vessels build a protection zone while core body temp is maintained. Biochemical, immune and hormonal processes are activated which result in a boost in nervous and circulatory systems. Cryotherapy treatment can alleviate muscle and joint pain and improve function, help repair damaged tissue, increase blood circulation, reduce inflammation, and speed up recovery time for any injury. It's also used to treat a number of skin conditions. As a side affect it also causes the body to release a huge wave of endorphins afterwards"

dannie
03-11-2015, 02:17 PM
I don't know of any in Calgary. I'm going to Sparkling Hill Resort this weekend and am doing the cryogenic treatment there. Definitely worth going out to Vernon for

natty54
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
cool this is the first I have head of it!

max_boost
03-11-2015, 03:00 PM
That sounds kinda scary

shadowz
03-11-2015, 03:08 PM
Only thing I know that is kinda the same but not are Deprevation/isolation tanks in Calgary

SIC1
03-12-2015, 06:55 AM
There is nothing like this in Calgary.

Originally posted by dannie
I don't know of any in Calgary. I'm going to Sparkling Hill Resort this weekend and am doing the cryogenic treatment there. Definitely worth going out to Vernon for

+1

Ive gone to sparkling hill for some R&R and have even done Cryotherapy treatments 2 seperate times. Never did the full treatments sessions as I never had the time to do all ten.

it's awesome and sucks each time I've done it. 3 mins feels like an eternity. Then when you chill in the meditation room. it's like "Runner's high" Even if you don't do the cryotherapy Sparkling hill has the best views from it's outdoor pools and it's pretty relaxing.

http://www.sparklinghill.com/cold-sauna

click the link and watch the video.

zipdoa
03-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
Only thing I know that is kinda the same but not are Deprevation/isolation tanks in Calgary

Hahaha, those are sweet, but pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of experience. The closest you'll get to cryotherapy in Calgary is:

#1. Jumping in the Bow River
#2. Ice Bath

Or you could try a Hyperbaric chamber to assist with recovery.

http://www.hbotclinics.com/

JordanEG6
03-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Yeah I was looking at Sparkling Hill but not sure if it's worth the drive. I probably have to plan and make a weekend out of it. Thanks anyways.

Originally posted by shadowz

I try and do this as often as I can, although it sorta helps with some injuries, my main goal in a tank is to refresh and reset my mind well being (meditation, relaxation etc.). But I highly recommend this as well. Calgary is becoming more and more popular with floating. Hopefully cryotherapy develops some roots here at some point.

dannie
03-12-2015, 09:50 AM
If that's your goal, sparkling hill is where you want to go. Between all the different saunas, pools, meditation rooms and spa... It's a great place to recharge. If you get on their mailing list, they send promos quite often. This weekend, we're paying 145 per night including breakfast and a two course dinner for two, each night. Cryo is an additional fee, but the saunas etc are free to use as a guest.

mr2mike
04-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Tried the Cryo treatment. It was quite interesting, it was a dry cold, so not like stepping outside in -30 with shorts on.

I didn't notice anything, but they say 10 treatments to get results. I had shoulder pain (clicking and swelling) and knee pain (fall, bruised bone).
Knee pain was relieved and shoulder pain was reduced for a bit. Body was so cold after. Putting on the house coat after, feels like burning on the skin.

There's an assistant in there with you and some other people. You're to keep moving and she wanted to you to sing. I didn't sing but there's music in there. I believe this is all surrounding to keep people moving and thinking of other things and not being cold. Also to prevent anyone from to go into a panic'd state.

Thanks for the advice Dannie, I'll sign up for the mailing list. Are these all off season promos?

JordanEG6
04-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Tried the Cryo treatment. It was quite interesting, it was a dry cold, so not like stepping outside in -30 with shorts on.

I didn't notice anything, but they say 10 treatments to get results. I had shoulder pain (clicking and swelling) and knee pain (fall, bruised bone).
Knee pain was relieved and shoulder pain was reduced for a bit. Body was so cold after. Putting on the house coat after, feels like burning on the skin.

There's an assistant in there with you and some other people. You're to keep moving and she wanted to you to sing. I didn't sing but there's music in there. I believe this is all surrounding to keep people moving and thinking of other things and not being cold. Also to prevent anyone from to go into a panic'd state.

Thanks for the advice Dannie, I'll sign up for the mailing list. Are these all off season promos?

Was this at Sparkling Hill?

mr2mike
05-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Yes it was.
Called in, booked an app't for later that day. Wasn't staying at Sparking Hill.
Needed a credit card for deposit.