PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Calgary Auto Show Discussion

schocker
03-12-2015, 01:44 PM
So what was everyone's thoughts. I was there yesterday afternoon/evening for many hours. The big standouts for me were the C400 and the Genesis Sedan.

C400 I can see owning in the future especially for that price. Interior is amazing and makes you forget about the garmin completely. For all the hate I have for Hyundai the genesis sedan seemed quite well built and good value for the money but I would still never get one. GTI was excellent as expected, felt like a great drivers car from taking a sit. AMG GT was on display and looks great.

For those going though, cars that you would expect and were not there:

F-type R
Golf R
New TT
GT-350
Focus ST
CLA 45 AMG

Cars that you would not expect and were therefore not there:
Ford GT
New R8

killramos
03-12-2015, 01:50 PM
I take it from your comment that the AMG GT is off limits?

Genuinely interested in the interior compared to the SL, SLK :dunno:

JustinMCS
03-12-2015, 02:15 PM
No Golf R? No new TT? no ST? no CLA AMG?

Why do we get the shaft? I need to go to Geneva next year. A real car show. LOL.

BlueHaloGirl
03-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Was the new Mazdaspeed there?

killramos
03-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Yea calgary auto show is just a dealer convention really. The only time you see anything good is when the corporation sends cars. i think Calgary is mostly based on local stock...

BMW had the M3 M4 M6 and M235i at the show last year before availability of the cars which was pretty good.

VAG and MB have been historically quite bad for the Canadian auto shows aside form Montreal ( which i believe is a real show)

this year frankfurt is ~ the same time as oktoberfest which is very tempting.

schocker
03-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by killramos
I take it from your comment that the AMG GT is off limits?

Genuinely interested in the interior compared to the SL, SLK :dunno:
Yes, it was on one of those rotating stands behind bars.

Originally posted by JustinMCS
No Golf R? No new TT? no ST? no CLA AMG?

Why do we get the shaft? I need to go to Geneva next year. A real car show. LOL.
Yup, really wanted to check out the golf r and tt. Fiesta ST was there though, still has seats that are too narrow. CLA is garbage anyways :rofl:

The interior on the CLA250 is sooo badddd. S3 was impressive though, but I felt the compromises that they took being a small car made me not like it. Center console etc.

Originally posted by BlueHaloGirl
Was the new Mazdaspeed there?
I don't believe so, no new miata either.

BMW brought all loaded cars which was great though, $67k 428 grancoupe :rofl: :eek:

killramos
03-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by schocker

$67k 428 grancoupe :rofl: :eek:

Sometimes i wonder why i didnt buy a 4 series. Its shit like this that remind me why I didnt :nut:

eglove
03-12-2015, 02:42 PM
That's a little dissapointing

schocker
03-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Sometimes i wonder why i didnt buy a 4 series. Its shit like this that remind me why I didnt :nut:
loaded 435i grancoupe is the best bmw though :D

C400 is worth checking out by everyoneeeeee though.

heavyD
03-12-2015, 02:45 PM
LOL they didn't even have the Focus ST?

schocker
03-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
LOL they didn't even have the Focus ST?
Not that I saw, just two normal foci (sp?). They had the new edge though which was a big meh.

rage2
03-12-2015, 03:31 PM
I've been preaching about that new C interior since I first saw it on Detroit. Glad you guys finally see what I'm seeing haha.

The C400 will be discontinued this model year. I really liked the C400, reviewed it on the blog, and my complaints was that the car didn't really handle too well. Good news is, it's only a 1 year model. It's being replaced with the C450 AMG for MY2016 at similar pricing. The changes are extensive and makes the car 100x better:

- Engine ECU recalibrated to 367hp, with full on shift and overrun exhaust farts

- AMG exhaust (lighter, less backpressure)

- Transmission TCU recalibrated with full AMG modes minus launch control

- ESP recalibrated with AMG settings

- AMG 4Matic AWD system 33 front/67 rear fixed split

- Suspension from the C63 (no airmatic, 3 stage electronically adjustable dampers)

- Optional Recaro sport seats :drool:

Pricing isn't official yet, but I'm going to guess it'll be within $1k when optioned similar to the C400. The key to keeping costs the same is that the C450 ditches the expensive airmatic setup in the C400.

schocker
03-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I've been preaching about that new C interior since I first saw it on Detroit. Glad you guys finally see what I'm seeing haha.

The C400 will be discontinued this model year. I really liked the C400, reviewed it on the blog, and my complaints was that the car didn't really handle too well. Good news is, it's only a 1 year model. It's being replaced with the C450 AMG for MY2016 at similar pricing. The changes are extensive and makes the car 100x better:

- Engine ECU recalibrated to 367hp, with full on shift and overrun exhaust farts

- AMG exhaust (lighter, less backpressure)

- Transmission TCU recalibrated with full AMG modes minus launch control

- ESP recalibrated with AMG settings

- AMG 4Matic AWD system 33 front/67 rear fixed split

- Suspension from the C63 (no airmatic, 3 stage electronically adjustable dampers)

- Optional Recaro sport seats :drool:

Pricing isn't official yet, but I'm going to guess it'll be within $1k when optioned similar to the C400. The key to keeping costs the same is that the C450 ditches the expensive airmatic setup in the C400.

Amazing. I thought there would just be 3 models and was wondering how they could slot it in between the C400 with options and the C63 pricing wise. I will let everyone at the office here know that have been swooning since yesterday afternoon :rofl:

rage2
03-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Did they have the dark open pore wood interior at the show?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2015-Mercedes-Benz-C-class-interior-placement1-626x382.jpg

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/Vehicles/Models/2015/C300W4/Features/2015-C-CLASS-SEDAN-025-MCFO.jpg

Mibz and I tested the durability of that interior by running my chicken wing greased up hands all over the interior in Detroit. It passed the test. :rofl:

schocker
03-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Did they have the dark open wood pore interior at the show?
Yup, best wood trim I have ever seen :drool:
Had the burmester stereo also with those cool grills.
I think it was loaded except for the sport package, $61k

Canucks3322
03-12-2015, 03:46 PM
I liked that Festa ST a lot lol. ... what was that dark Blue GTI anyways with the bikes on it? Just some custom one? ...I hated the Mercedes interiors but I didn't sit in the new C... loved all the Audis..

schocker
03-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
I liked that Festa ST a lot lol. ... what was that dark Blue GTI anyways with the bikes on it? Just some custom one? ...I hated the Mercedes interiors but I didn't sit in the new C... loved all the Audis..
The fiesta is so little though! That was just a Golf TSI with every accessory to make it more $$$ than a GTI lol. GTI was way nicer obviously. The audi interior is getting old though, can't wait for the B9 A4, should be announced in the fall. New Q7 was there but locked.

94boosted
03-12-2015, 04:32 PM
No new Golf R, no new Miata, no new GT350 :thumbsdow

What about the ATS-V and C7 Z06?

schocker
03-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
No new Golf R, no new Miata, no new GT350 :thumbsdow

What about the ATS-V and C7 Z06?
No ATS-V that I saw, only V looked like a CTS V Sport iirc.
Z06 was there behind ropes with a Z28.

Xtrema
03-12-2015, 05:00 PM
Yeah they showed both C300 and C400 with ash wood.

It's nice but it's the 1st time I was able to nic pick the interior other than just having a quick glance. Lost a bit of shine after spending a couple more minutes but still best in show for the price for interior. GLA, for some reason I can't find a good seating position. CLA improved a bit from last year for interior but you can still tell why it's priced that low to start.

BMW continue with the downward trend in interior. Nothing was respectable until you hit the X5 and X6M. And I still prefer the 7 year old MMI over the new iDrive.

Audi's line up is aging and the new Q7 on the floor doesn't make me optimistic for Audi's future. S3 is nice only if there isn't a Golf R.

I'm impressed by Lexus RC's interior material but the design looks too busy.

Acura fixed ILX but I still think it looks too cheap to compete. And I can't get over the ghetto looking of the dual screen set up they all now have.

Infiniti got nothing new but the concept is exciting to see. Q30 or QX30 concept would be nice.

Subaru has the worse interior of the show.

Toyota is boring, don't even have the new Taco.

Nissan Murano is nice upgrade.

Volvo XC90 got to be the best of show. I love it. The tech, design and material quality. Fit and finish is not great but I hope the show floor model is early build.

Jag XJ has great backseats.

Mazda got nothing, no Mazdaspeed, no new Miata. But I'm not sure why people don't buy the 3 over Corolla/Civic.

Honda got nothing. New Pilot looks like a Chevy.

The big 3 doesn't really offer anything new. The Ford Edge is meh. Corvette is same old and Z06 was fenced off.

VW GTI is nice but something is off that I can't put my finger on. It's probably the Made in Mexico sticker doing something funny to my head.

A2VR6
03-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Yeah they showed both C300 and C400 with ash wood.

It's nice but it's the 1st time I was able to nic pick the interior other than just having a quick glance. Lost a bit of shine after spending a couple more minutes but still best in show for the price for interior.

Volvo XC90 got to be the best of show. I love it. The tech, design and material quality. Fit and finish is not great but I hope the show floor model is early build.

The interior door handle release on the C400 was amazing... felt super high quality, I think I opened and closed the door about 10 times just to replicate the quality feel :rofl:

XC90 was really nice, the sound system sounded great as well.

I was really impressed with the materials used in the Cadillac CTS and Escalade, the leather feels super nice and buttery.

Shlade
03-12-2015, 06:59 PM
Pretty stupid I was looking forward to seeing the new ST in person... Calgary auto show is so lame

shakalaka
03-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Is it finished already? I didn't even hear about it...hate living in Edmonton. If it's still going on I will visit it this weekend.

flipstah
03-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Car show was meh. Spent the most time in the V60 Polestar :drool:

I also have a crush on the BMW 4 series GranTour 4door coupe thing.

That trunk lid. Hnnngh.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early so didn't have time to gorge in the Mercedes booth.

sneek
03-13-2015, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Is it finished already? I didn't even hear about it...hate living in Edmonton. If it's still going on I will visit it this weekend.

If I am not mistaken it finishes on Sunday so you still have time.

shakalaka
03-13-2015, 12:12 AM
Thanks! I will check it out this weekend when I am in Calgary!

schocker
03-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Car show was meh. Spent the most time in the V60 Polestar :drool:

I also have a crush on the BMW 4 series GranTour 4door coupe thing.

That trunk lid. Hnnngh.

Unfortunately, I had to leave early so didn't have time to gorge in the Mercedes booth.
It was a $67k 4cyl though :rofl:
That trunk was :drool: I do admit

rage2
03-13-2015, 11:57 AM
I too am a huge fan of the 4 gran coupe. Wonder if they'll do a M4 version of it.

schocker
03-13-2015, 12:09 PM
I too am a huge fan of the 4 gran coupe. Wonder if they'll do a M4 version of it.
I think for now I read they are sticking with only sedan/coupe/cab. I don't even think I have seen a 4 series grancoupe on the roads, only the disgusting GT. 6 series GC seems to be very popular though.

bjstare
03-13-2015, 12:23 PM
I saw a 4 series grancoupe yesterday, had to do a double take. They look great.

austic
03-14-2015, 11:53 PM
went on thursday and fell for the C400 and the Grandcoupe. Went and had a test drive in one today and it drove really nice.

Made the decision harder but I think I might put a deposit down on the c450 amg later this week. The interior sold me on it.

K3RMiTdot
03-15-2015, 02:50 AM

Doubt it - nobody would buy the m3 :rofl:

soloracer
03-15-2015, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
I saw a 4 series grancoupe yesterday, had to do a double take. They look great.

Why the double take? Sort of like saying you saw a 911 GTS and had to do a double take when the whole 911 series has always looked so similar to one another. The problem I have with the entire BMW line is they all look the same. Adding a 4 series only further muddies the picture. Did they just rename all the 3 series coupes? There used to be an M3 Coupe, M3 Sedan and M3 Convertible. Same car but different configurations. Now you have an M3 and an M4 - as if the M4 is somehow a new model and not an M3 with two doors. Then there are the interiors. I love the look but across the line every car had pretty much the same interior. Didn't we used to give GM a hard time because all their cars shared the same parts bin? Where is the individuality? At least back in the day cars like the 8 series were so much different in appearance. Now everything looks so much alike. It's like a smorgasborg of oatmeal. You have to look at the rear badge to figure out what model it is. Shouldn't an entirely new line look different from the other lines in the model range? The only fresh look from BMW these days is the I8.

If you don't believe me take a look at this:

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/newvehicles/modelfinder/index.html

Don't they all look like basically the same car with some small changes made between models?
:zzz:

Xtrema
03-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by austic
Made the decision harder but I think I might put a deposit down on the c450 amg later this week. The interior sold me on it.

If c450 get the same leather grade as the c63, it would be great.

The leather quality and workmanship is vastly inferior in the c300/400 compared to c63.

I have to add that I love the Mazda CX3. They have a RHD model there.

redline
03-15-2015, 10:14 AM

Not in this model, the hatch does meet ///M structural standandards

Canucks3322
03-15-2015, 12:39 PM
The interiors of the cx3 and Mazda 2s are awesome. .. to bad they're slow as molasses lol maybe they'll give us Mazdaspeed versions lol

Shlade
03-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Went today and show was kinda crappy IMO. Liked a couple of the Cadillacs, the fiat abarath my gf loved and I loved the fiesta ST go figure

relyt92
03-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Few interesting things, wasn't very impressed overall though. Super surprised how nice the new MKZ is though. Leather in that thing felt great.

TomcoPDR
03-15-2015, 05:27 PM
If tickets weren't free I wouldn't had went.

Canmorite
03-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Spent about an hour walking around, very similar cars to last year. They seriously need to bring in more concept vehicles or something. Cayman GT4, Focus RS, Golf R...anything :dunno:

bjstare
03-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by soloracer

Why the double take?
[all BMWs look the same blah blah blah]

Don't they all look like basically the same car with some small changes made between models?
:zzz:

I agree, and that's exactly why I had to do a double take.

Looked like a regular 4 series, but then it had 4 doors. Then I figured out it was a 4GC that I hadn't seen before. haha

Mibz
03-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Like Benyl mentioned in the other thread, Calgary is a dealer show, not a manufacturer show. This means if the dealer doesn't have the car, you likely won't see it. Sometimes you get a media car that tours Canada (like the MB autonomous concept or Infiniti Qwhatever concept) but you're rarely going to see cars which aren't quite in showrooms yet, which includes every one Canmorite listed above.

killramos
03-16-2015, 08:02 AM
I think the biggest head scratcher is ford didnt even bring a mustang GT. like a dozen F-150's but no V8 Mustang? :nut:

It was a fairly dissapointing show.

Got to spend some quality time with the Macan Turbo :drool:.

Th 235i convertible was hella expensive. Wast even loaded at 67 grand :eek:

Was very unimpressed with the new Escalade. The seats weren't even comfortable lol

I think the problem is that this is a volume seller show. So they bring in all the base model SUV's and compact sedans etc. I was talking to some friends about how the show would be alot better if they brought the ticket prices up to thin the crowds and encourage the dealers/manufactuerers to bring some better models in.

:dunno:

I just need to go to a real show one of these days i think...

rage2
03-16-2015, 08:27 AM
If c450 get the same leather grade as the c63, it would be great.

The leather quality and workmanship is vastly inferior in the c300/400 compared to c63.
There are 3 types of interiors across the MB range, ARTICO (fake leather, called MB-Tex in the US), standard leather, and nappa leather. I believe you're talking about the Nappa leather in the C63, as the non AMG's get Artico or standard leather. With the C400, it's standard leather, and the C450 only gets nappa leather on the steering wheel. Fairly sure that the nappa leather will be a C63 exclusive again. You're right though, the Nappa leather is a huge step up from the standard leather.

Personally, I like the artico interior, which oddly enough wasn't available in Canada in the C63 except in the Black Series. The artico leather is much easier to maintain, looks and feels like leather, but has the added bonus of being trimmed in Dinamica, a fake suede much like Alcantara. Way sportier look.

Here's a comparison of the Artico vs AMG Red Cut Leather Recaro seats that's coming in the C63:

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2014-Mercedes-Benz-CLA-45-AMG-Edition-1-Front-Seats.jpg

http://www.cars.com/crp/vp/images/14mb_cla45amg/seatsFF.jpg

Moot point for us Canadians, as we can't spec out the Artico Recaros here in the AMGs, we're forced to go leather in the CLA45/GLA45/C63/AMG GT. With the C450 AMG, not being a real AMG, there's a huge chance that you can spec it out with the Artico interior, which is cheaper and way better imo.

schocker
03-16-2015, 08:49 AM
^^^When I build a C400 online though it comes with artico. I don't want that vinyl garbage :rofl:
$2k for real leather.

flipstah
03-16-2015, 08:54 AM

It was a $67k 4cyl though :rofl:
That trunk was :drool: I do admit

I'd rock it as a hauler to the slopes.

Bitches love the hatch.

By 'bitches', I mean 'car guys'.

yobi5888
03-16-2015, 08:58 AM
Has anyone test drive the new C-Class?

I saw it Wed night at the car show and fell in love, went test drive it on Sat, one thing I found quite unacceptable is that there is air gap between the door and the body and will make whistle like sound when the car is travelling over 100km/hr.

Other than that, I love the interior and the looks.

Mibz
03-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by yobi5888
Has anyone test drive the new C-Class? Drove the C400 and hated it. It's a completely different car from the last gen, and not in a way that I like. If the C450 is as different as they claim then it could be good, but the C400 was too old man for me.

rage2
03-16-2015, 09:19 AM
^^^When I build a C400 online though it comes with artico. I don't want that vinyl garbage :rofl:
$2k for real leather.
Have you seen the artico/dinamica interior in person though? I have it in my Black Series, and it's by far my favorite interior of all the AMG's I've owned. Even better than my CLK Black, which was full leather. Personal preference of course, but vinyl garbage is an unfair description.

Originally posted by yobi5888
Has anyone test drive the new C-Class?
benyl and I both drove and wrote reviews for the C400.

http://www.beyond.ca/review-2015-mercedes-benz-c400-4matic/40872.html

http://www.beyond.ca/2015-mercedes-benz-c300-vs-c400/40995.html

The C400 had poor turn-in characteristics, lots of understeer for the both of us. We haven't driven the C450 AMG yet, but from reading the first drive reviews, Mercedes has addressed the turn-in understeer (most likely with the addition of curve dynamic assist in the ESP program) and steering feel issues.

TomcoPDR
03-16-2015, 09:54 AM
I was talking to some friends about how the show would be alot better if they brought the ticket prices up to thin the crowds and encourage the dealers/manufactuerers to bring some better models in.

:dunno:

Or just whiten the crowd more with a big bass pro shop booth or something. Felt like 80% of ppl that went never seen a car up close and personal in their life before.

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Show was pretty good this year, they aren't open as long on Sunday but I still saw most things. Some standouts for me, all IMHO of course:

BMW - Disappointed with interior quality. Either other cars are getting better, or they are getting worse, perhaps a combination. It's not bad, but it should be significantly better than it is IMO.

Hyundai Genesis - One of the biggest surprises at the show for me. Build quality seemed to be much better than usual. Lots of companies could learn from what they did with the interior and also how solid everything was. I'd be curious to drive one 5 years from now though and see how it all holds up beyond initial impression. The value proposition seems quite impressive, you get a lot of car for the dollar. I feel like these would be a bargain on the used market.

Cadillac Escalade ESV - What is with the 1" gap on either side of the trunk floor? It's just begging for things to fall down there. You lift it up, and are greeted with the cheapest chunk of plastic I have ever seen, which was already broken, still unable to get anything that may have fallen down the cracks. At $107K, they are lucky a sucker is born every minute. It amazes me these things keep selling.

There was that glossy black crap inside SO MANY cars this year! Everything from the econo boxes to Cadillac had it everywhere, and it's so bad it would be a deal breaker (IMHO). The worst offender was Cadillac CUE though, they still haven't bothered to fix that eye sore. It seems every other car I went into, even the Camry, was covered in that crap. Looks awful. Maybe you could swap it out?

Jeep Cherokee - I watched the door handle pop right off when someone tried to open it haha. Was not surprised.

New C-CLass - Interior is awesome EXCEPT for the doors. The wood trim, at least on the car show model, had no bracing behind it and I could push it behind the leather portion of the door quite significantly with little effort. The doors were also very light, and did not have the usual confident Mercedes "thud" when you closed them (Maybe because they were so much lighter?). Love these cars though, they look amazing other than the stupid i-Pad screen haha. They would be very high on my list if I was shopping.

GLA - Really liked this thing, and it seemed to be put together better than the CLA.

Cadillac CTS - $73K for a regular non-turbo V6 model? Wow. Also $80K for the V6 V-Sport (not the V) is way too much IMO. Infiniti, Lexus, and Cadillac are all putting very standard V6's in their expensive cars, and it seems like they are cutting corners by not having a 3.0 TT or something instead.

New Vette Stingray - Rather impressed with the interior this year (finally) except the doors are still garbage. I went to open the door, and instead my fingers went right into the weather stripping underneath. Closing the door with the window down sounds like the door is going to fall apart. Way more usable trunk though, and a nicely done interior otherwise.

New GTI - Loved it except for they used the ultra cheap plastic on the back interior door sills (wtf VW?). Starting at $28K I would take that car over anything else in that price range (Mazda 3, Acura ILX, etc.) Also I was surprised at how cheap the Jetta is - seems like a lot of car for the dollar compared to many others.

Mazda 6 - The only motor available is the N/A 184HP 4cyl? No thanks.

F150 - The switch gear panels didn't even fit in the holes cut out for them in the doors. There was a huge gap almost all the way around.

Audi S3 - It had a better feeling interior and more solid sounding doors than the S6 sitting beside it. One of the best interiors at the show IMHO, especially for the price. Looks like it's $55K for a full load though, which is getting up there. Makes the Golf R @ $40K look pretty damn attractive, especially if you want a hatch back.

Volvo - Loved the V60 XC & V60 Polestar. I actually think it's a relative bargain at $60K. Seemed to be built very well, and apparently has a very high residual (according to the sales person). Same price as the A4 Allroad wagon, but with a similar interior and quite a bit more power. I love wagons and this would be very high on my list.

Mistubishi Mirage - $17,000? :rofl:

Not a fan of the all-LCD dashes a lot cars seem to be using. I much, much, prefer analog gauges. Also what if your car is parked outside in -30 for a couple days? I imagine it would be borderline unusable until things warmed up.

Lastly, the salespeople were more annoying this year than any other year in memory. There were a few we had to flat out tell to leave us alone, it was ridiculous. After literally telling them we were not at all in the market under any circumstances, they were practically begging us to come down for a test drive, etc. Followed us out of their area and into other manufacturer's areas. Kind of sad actually. Lesson learned: NEVER go up to the desk and ask a simple question unless you want a salesperson to latch onto you for the next 5 min.

Pretty standard show, it's always basically what the dealers feel like bringing, so there was a lot missing.

schocker
03-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
I'd rock it as a hauler to the slopes.

Bitches love the hatch.

By 'bitches', I mean 'car guys'.
haha, probably true.

Have you seen the artico/dinamica interior in person though? I have it in my Black Series, and it's by far my favorite interior of all the AMG's I've owned. Even better than my CLK Black, which was full leather. Personal preference of course, but vinyl garbage is an unfair description.

I don't think so I just like to hate on it :D
I just figure at that price it should be included and they also call it Artico Leather which I think some people would not notice.
All my cars have been coated leather which is probably not much better anyways :)

rage2
03-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
BMW - Disappointed with interior quality. Either other cars are getting better, or they are getting worse, perhaps a combination. It's not bad, but it should be significantly better than it is IMO.

Hyundai Genesis - One of the biggest surprises at the show for me. Build quality seemed to be much better than usual. Lots of companies could learn from what they did with the interior and also how solid everything was. I'd be curious to drive one 5 years from now though and see how it all holds up beyond initial impression. The value proposition seems quite impressive, you get a lot of car for the dollar. I feel like these would be a bargain on the used market.

GLA - Really liked this thing, and it seemed to be put together better than the CLA.
Agree with BMW and Hyundai. Honestly, Hyundai needs to hire a suspension/chassis guru, and they would sell like hotcakes. I've driven quite a few of the Genesis coupes over the years, and the only thing that is lacking is the handling.

As for the GLA, it's put together just as bad as the CLA. :rofl: The difference is that they fixed a few of the issues that plagued the initial CLA's and B's, and have rolled those updates across all the platforms. The latest CLA's are much better than the year 1 cars, with more improvements on the way in the mid cycle refresh.

gpomp
03-16-2015, 10:41 AM
^What's the difference between the CLA/GLA and B other than looks? Seems to me like the B has the most usable package and is a lot cheaper than the CLA and GLA.

Mitsu3000gt
03-16-2015, 10:43 AM

Agree with BMW and Hyundai. Honestly, Hyundai needs to hire a suspension/chassis guru, and they would sell like hotcakes. I've driven quite a few of the Genesis coupes over the years, and the only thing that is lacking is the handling.

As for the GLA, it's put together just as bad as the CLA. :rofl: The difference is that they fixed a few of the issues that plagued the initial CLA's and B's, and have rolled those updates across all the platforms. The latest CLA's are much better than the year 1 cars, with more improvements on the way in the mid cycle refresh.

Yeah that's what I figured with Hyundai. The "shine" would come off once you drive it compared to much of the competition, but damn that interior is nice. And the doors shut SOLID even with the windows down, which cannot be said even for some Germans these days.

I didn't have time to check out the CLA and assumed it was the same as last year, so it's good to hear they improved the interior a bit - the first gen CLA interior was pretty weak IMO. Still not great, but they have definitely improved it at least somewhat if it's like the GLA. I wish the new C class had better feeling doors! Not a deal breaker but the rest of that thing is so nice, especially the unfinished wood trim.

Xtrema
03-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
^What's the difference between the CLA/GLA and B other than looks? Seems to me like the B has the most usable package and is a lot cheaper than the CLA and GLA.

I won't waste money on GLA250 as B250 is the exact same car for way less. GLA45 is the only right GLA to get.

Moot point for us Canadians, as we can't spec out the Artico Recaros here in the AMGs, we're forced to go leather in the CLA45/GLA45/C63/AMG GT. With the C450 AMG, not being a real AMG, there's a huge chance that you can spec it out with the Artico interior, which is cheaper and way better imo.

I hope nappa is an option on C450, I hate grainy leather, fake or not. ie. I hope this interior shows up on the C450:
http://img2.netcarshow.com/Mercedes-Benz-C63_AMG_2015_1024x768_wallpaper_11.jpg

rage2
03-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
While it's the same chassis across the 3 lines, there's some differences between all the cars. The suspension tuning is setup quite differently between the 3. CLA is stiffest, GLA in the middle, B is the softest.

CLA is available in FWD and AWD for the 250. The 45 has an optional AMG suspension that makes the Black Series feel smooth over bumps. :rofl:

The B looks like a mini-minivan, and was only available in FWD until this year. 4Matic was launched for MY2015 with the first cars arriving any day now. Huge bang for the buck on this guy, lots of room for passengers, storage, headroom. As long as you're ok with driving a mini-minivan. The only drawback to the B is that there's no AMG version.

The GLA has a slightly higher seating position, and is raised up an inch or 2 more than the B. The AMG version lowers it back down a little but you still sit higher than the CLA, and a little lower than the B250. There's also an offroad mode for the AWD version. There is no FWD version of the GLA.

Other than that, the 3 cars share the exact same interior, with differences in the back seat. The CLA has very little rear leg room and zero headroom, the B has amazing rear leg room, and the GLA has the same rear legroom but sacrafices a bit of headroom on the left due to the way the side windows pinches inwards at the top.

I won't waste money on GLA250 as B250 is the exact same car for way less. GLA45 is the only right GLA to get.
Yea, once the GLA45 keyless go wasn't happening for this model year, I ordered up a B250 4matic for the gf. Unfortunately, it's been backlogged in Halifax due to the storm last month. :(

Xtrema
03-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Anyone notice the trend of frameless rear view mirror?

http://image.motortrend.com/f/wot/1401_2014_scion_fr_s_tc_monogram_series_to_sport_high_end_goodies_in_detroit/66723735/2014-scion-fr-s-monogram-series-frameless-rear-view-mirror.jpg

I found that refreshing.

killramos
03-16-2015, 11:22 AM

Yea, once the GLA45 keyless go wasn't happening for this model year, I ordered up a B250 4matic for the gf. Unfortunately, it's been backlogged in Halifax due to the storm last month. :(

i was wondering what happened to that, not offering keyless-go is embarrassing for MB for sure.

Not sure i could ever buy a car that needs the key again... Its made me seriously considering getting all the locks on my house changed.

killramos
03-16-2015, 11:22 AM
doubled .

rage2
03-16-2015, 11:26 AM
was wondering what happened to that, not offering keyless-go is embarrassing for MB for sure.
Parts shortage. Other markets got keyless-go, some at launch. Canada always gets shafted.

There's been a lack of pano roofs, keyless-go, and LED headlights for the CLA/GLA/B. The system won't let the dealer spec out cars with these options, that's why there's so many oddly optioned cars arriving. Dealer either specs it out all weird, or they don't get a car at all.

The B250 4Matic we ordered doesn't have the LED lamps, but that wasn't a deal killer for us so we went ahead with it because it has keyless-go.

quick_scar
03-16-2015, 12:00 PM
I really liked the leg room in the GLA with the seats all the way back. GF and I are both really tall and would fit nicely in it for longer trips.

I just cannot get over this trend to stick tablets on the dashes. Looks hideous and makes the screen look like an after thought. Buddy describes it best: "Looks like they did the clay model, and at the end were like, fuck we forgot a screen, lets just carve one out here (Mazda) or stick one here (MB)."

The big surprise for me was the Volvo XC90. I hate the dial pad in the center of the old Volvo and to me screams dated. I expect a corded phone in the center console when I see that. The new XC90 replaces all that with a large touch screen (not Tesla large, but sufficient) and an all digital display for the speedo, etc... It was a nice surprise.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/SWJWeXSgrPg/maxresdefault.jpg

The worst to sit in had to be the LR4. No bolsters, felt like you were sitting on a bench seat and the seats just got worse and worse as you moved towards the back. My god it was bad.

schocker
03-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Anyone notice the trend of frameless rear view mirror?

I found that refreshing.
Does it still have the dumbass behind you has highbeams on feature though? I guess I haven't had homelink on my mirror since my g35 anyways.

Manhattan
03-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Most of the reps I spoke to were clueless.

New entry level offerings for BMW and Mercedes are awful (GLA/CLA, X1). Who buys these at 40K? Either step up to the real thing or get something reliable.

Not impressed with the Lexus RC coupe.

Loved the RL at the executive class although no one seems to be interested in Acuras anymore. Prefer it over the Genesis sedan anyday. Genesis sedan also had a strong new car/plastic odor.

Entire Audi lineup is :drool:

schocker
03-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Loved the RL at the executive class although no one seems to be interested in Acuras anymore. Prefer it over the Genesis sedan anyday. Genesis sedan also had a strong new car/plastic odor.

I had no idea that the RL still came with SH-AWD, in a drive-train very similar to that of the NSX. Would be interesting if they put it in something more sporty but less sporty than an NSX.

rage2
03-16-2015, 02:48 PM
New entry level offerings for BMW and Mercedes are awful (GLA/CLA, X1). Who buys these at 40K? Either step up to the real thing or get something reliable.
According to my sales rep, most of the buyers of the CLA250's are base stripped down cars, throw a bit of a downpayment down so they can qualify for the lease at $400 a month out the door. They're buying it for the brand, and they're selling a ton of them to this demographic. The CLA250 4Matics are more loaded, and are typically purchased by Chinese parents for the kids.

No info on the GLAs yet. Too early. As for the X1, they're a good car/wagon/crossover. My bro picked up a 3.0 one last year and absolutely loves it.

rage2
03-16-2015, 02:52 PM
I had no idea that the RL still came with SH-AWD, in a drive-train very similar to that of the NSX. Would be interesting if they put it in something more sporty but less sporty than an NSX.
The only similarity to the NSX SH-AWD system is the name. It's a completely different setup. For starters, the NSX system doesn't even have the drivetrain connect to the front wheels at all. It's 100% electric motors on each front wheel. The engine/3rd electric motor drives the rear wheels.

Xtrema
03-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Most of the reps I spoke to were clueless.

Not impressed with the Lexus RC coupe.

Entire Audi lineup is :drool:

Audi lineup is getting a bit long in the tooth. Q5 and A4 sorely needed updates.

But they are all doing the same thing. If any cars that has a starting price under $50K, it's nice material up top, shit material/hard plastic on the bottom. Honda/Acura is the worse offender of this practice. Overall, Honda has the worst interior of any brand along with Subaru. Uneven gaps, horrible leather stitching, cheap shiny scratchable plastic everywhere.

Audi stayed the same. BMWs are still shit, even the M4. Mazda and Mercedes improved the most.

I'm also surprised by improvement of the big 3, especially Ford and the Chrysler 200C. The 200 probably has the best interior material for a car that starts in the low to mid 20s.

People who pay for $30-$40K want the German badge, plain and simple. There are many more economically choices out there if you don't pick German.

A $40K Outback is way better than any CUV/SUV on the market. And if you are buying a GLA250, you may as well pick up a RDX which is the best value in the segment with 260+hp and 9 sp auto.

Unfortunately, 90% of the public judge by the badge, not the capability of the car. It's just like fashion outlet industry. Sure you can pick up a Lacoste polo for $20 but the quality is shit compare to the normal priced ones.

Mibz
03-16-2015, 05:01 PM
I can't find a reason to hate the Chrysler 200. I know it's out there, it's just a matter of finding it.

Shlade
03-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Another thread derailed by Mercedes butt humping...

rage2
03-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Another thread derailed by Mercedes butt humping...
Maybe if Ford brought some meaningful cars we'd have something else to talk about. :rofl:

Shlade
03-16-2015, 05:59 PM

Maybe if Ford brought some meaningful cars we'd have something else to talk about. :rofl:
haha at least you know what I'm about lol

schocker
03-16-2015, 10:25 PM

The only similarity to the NSX SH-AWD system is the name. It's a completely different setup. For starters, the NSX system doesn't even have the drivetrain connect to the front wheels at all. It's 100% electric motors on each front wheel. The engine/3rd electric motor drives the rear wheels.
Whoops. Meant to say like a reverse RLX. RLX has gas front w/ 1 motor and 2 rear motors. NSX is mid engine w/ rear electric assist and 2 motors up front. I believe that is the case from my reading a while ago?