PDA

View Full Version : Who to vote for?

Pages : [1] 2

Thales of Miletus
03-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Who are people going to vote for in the upcoming Provincial election.

The P.C. need to go, the Wildrose is no better, so what is a reasonable alternative? NDP, Liberal, Green?

Opinions.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Same results every every time. The opposition seems weaker this year. I'll still vote against PC but I expect no change.

Sentry
03-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Nevermind, thought we were talking Federal

Thales of Miletus
03-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Nevermind, thought we were talking Federal

The PC have to be run out of town in the federal too.

They are far to similar to the politicians to the south.

With oil now under $45 a barrel, Albertans are going to experience just how bad PC management has been.

ddduke
03-14-2015, 09:01 PM
PC right here.

Thales of Miletus
03-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
PC right here.

Why?

Inzane
03-15-2015, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus
The P.C. need to go

Why?

Thales of Miletus
03-15-2015, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

Why?

They did a poor job of developing the economy.

The P.C. did not have a careful plan for the rate of development. Instead choosing to super heat the Alberta economy. However, when the price of oil crashed, Alberta still had a workforce that was required for a boom. This will cause many people to lose employment and thus their shirts.

The rapid development was not required. It didn't serve long time residents. Instead it exposed many Albertans to hyper inflation.

Norway is having no problem with it's oil sector. Norway chose a slow and steady approach. It also has no issue with sharing the wealth with it's citizens.

Norway has saved nearly one trillion dollars in their trust fund. Alberta's hasn't grown, adjusted to inflation, since Lougheed left office.

The PC have been in office for far too long. Corruption and a form or American style lobbyism exists in the party. Time to vote them out, for no other reason that to clean out the skeletons.

Albertas vote out of fear. Thinking anything else will be worse. However they don't know what anything else will be like, so their fear is not logical.

Paul Martin, a federal liberal, was certainly a much better finance minister than any Conservative of this era.

01RedDX
03-15-2015, 08:26 AM

FraserB
03-15-2015, 08:33 AM

They did a poor job of developing the economy.

The P.C. did not have a careful plan for the rate of development. Instead choosing to super heat the Alberta economy. However, when the price of oil crashed, Alberta still had a workforce that was required for a boom. This will cause many people to lose employment and thus their shirts.

The rapid development was not required. It didn't serve long time residents. Instead it exposed many Albertans to hyper inflation.

Norway is having no problem with it's oil sector. Norway chose a slow and steady approach. It also has no issue with sharing the wealth with it's citizens.

Norway has saved nearly one trillion dollars in their trust fund. Alberta's hasn't grown, adjusted to inflation, since Lougheed left office.

The PC have been in office for far too long. Corruption and a form or American style lobbyism exists in the party. Time to vote them out, for no other reason that to clean out the skeletons.

Albertas vote out of fear. Thinking anything else will be worse. However they don't know what anything else will be like, so their fear is not logical.

Paul Martin, a federal liberal, was certainly a much better finance minister than any Conservative of this era.

What parts of the Liberal, NDP or Green party platform would do better that the PCs? Specific parts of their platforms please.

ExtraSlow
03-15-2015, 08:53 AM
I don't disagree that the PC party has done a poor job of stewarding our province.

I would love to hear some solid ideas from the other parties about how to improve the situation.

Isaiah
03-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
I'll still vote against PC but I expect no change.
Why would you expect change if you're voting for the same party? Change the variable; change the outcome.

Sugarphreak
03-15-2015, 09:32 AM

AE92_TreunoSC
03-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Why would you expect change if you're voting for the same party? Change the variable; change the outcome.

I mean change in leadership/majority. I'm voting Wildrose but I think they are much weaker than the last go thanks to the floor crossings.

Nitro5
03-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Can't vote Wildrose, the social conservatives are taking over. Wish the Liberals or Alberta party was stronger. May come down to the local candidate as I'm not liking any of the overall parties.

StreetRacerX
03-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Might as well draw names from a hat :rofl:

btimbit
03-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Nitro5
Can't vote Wildrose, the social conservatives are taking over. Wish the Liberals or Alberta party was stronger. May come down to the local candidate as I'm not liking any of the overall parties.

That's my plan. Pretty much screwed regardless.

Just like the Federal level, a change from PC's would be nice, but the alternatives suck just as much, if not more

Nitro5
03-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

That's my plan. Pretty much screwed regardless.

Just like the Federal level, a change from PC's would be nice, but the alternatives suck just as much, if not more

I agree. Federally I would have taken a hard look at the Liberals if they had elected Marc Garneau as the leader, but they went with the pretty boy with the name instead.

Thales of Miletus
03-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

What parts of the Liberal, NDP or Green party platform would do better that the PCs? Specific parts of their platforms please.

Platforms mean nothing until a party gets into power.

But look at the NDP for example. All very good and ethical people. And what we need is ethics, not amoral corporatism.

We live in a time when corporatism and capitalism are unrestrained. And as you probably know, capitalism needs to be tempered with regulation, else it consumes itself.

We need to live in an Alberta where a priority is placed on health and happiness, not a province where we are fed a constant stream of PR. Propaganda that suggest that if we do not work ourselves to death we are going to be miserable and starve.

Prentice revealed the PC mentality when he said "look in a mirror". That statement said " We are the power, and Albertans are the consumables"

Albertans are humble and believe in hard work. But there is a difference between being a humble hard worker and being a sucker. At some point you are allowed to see the benefit of your hard work. But in ALberta that is denied. If you doubt that, think about the current situation. Are we okay or are we freaked out? Do we have a rainy day fund, or is the province telling us that we have to be prepared for the end of days?

So in short we need a party that will run our province more like Norway and less like Texas. And you can't argue with Norways methods as they have managed to save a trillion dollars, while providing very nicely for their populus.

btimbit
03-15-2015, 01:05 PM

I agree. Federally I would have taken a hard look at the Liberals if they had elected Marc Garneau as the leader, but they went with the pretty boy with the name instead.

Absolutely, I would have been all for a Liberal Goverment, but hell no to Trudeau as PM

300zxfairlday
03-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Voting pc

Thales of Miletus
03-15-2015, 01:30 PM

Absolutely, I would have been all for a Liberal Goverment, but hell no to Trudeau as PM

It comes down to voting for the best candidate then.

Many people say they are voting party and don't even have a clue who their representative would be.

btimbit
03-15-2015, 02:39 PM

It comes down to voting for the best candidate then.

Many people say they are voting party and don't even have a clue who their representative would be.

That's exactly what Nitro5 and I just said, it'll likely be more about the local candidate this time

Thales of Miletus
03-15-2015, 03:03 PM

That's exactly what Nitro5 and I just said, it'll likely be more about the local candidate this time

I was just talking to my local PC MLA. SHe said that the PC are going to work on winning Edmonton back after the next election.

She said that the PC will stop sending any funds to Calgary and will work to get the Flames moved to Las Vegas.

The PC's just earned my vote.

Also she said they were going to buy you a dog and then kick it.

A790
03-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Voting liberal. I don't really agree with a lot of what Trudeau is going on about, but his stance re: pot is in the right place.

Also, a shakeup for a term might at least kick the PC's in the ass enough for them to get their shit together.

btimbit
03-15-2015, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by A790

Also, a shakeup for a term might at least kick the PC's in the ass enough for them to get their shit together.

That's what I'd hope to, but Trudeau.... No thanks.

Something I never thought I'd say at the time, but sure would be nice to have Jack Layton around right now

JRSC00LUDE
03-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Trudeau would be great if he had a relevant education, life experience, demonstrated business acumen or any level of self made success to complement his hair cut and empty smile.

New leader, give the Liberals a round. Till then, Conservative it is. No one needs the disingenuous snake oil of the NDP. That shit ain't good for anybody.

MGCM
03-15-2015, 04:38 PM
I vote that we dismiss every single current politcal party and make new ones. Not 1 single current party has proven trustworthy, so why do we vote for them? We all know they cannot be trusted, who controls the ppl, the government? or do we as the people control the people?

duaner
03-15-2015, 05:32 PM
I agree with the general sentiment of this thread--there is no party worth voting for. In the past, I've always voted PC because they more or less lined up with my ideology and were the lesser of the evils. But this time around, both federally and provincially, there is no lesser evil; they're each just as bad as the next. The PCs have to be ousted but it is doubtful.

The problem with the provincial PCs is that they've long been bought by the wealthy and big business, particularly in O&G. Apart from being complete morons by basing everything on oil prices remaining high, they are going to blame everything on everyone else and hurt the little guy and less fortunate. Norway has done it right. Alberta clearly has not.

All they had to do was get rid of the flat tax and it would have given AB around 8 billion, or so an article said that I can't find the link to. But of course they'll do their cuts instead, which will hurt most people but particularly the poor. That is on top of the flat tax which already hurts the poor and middle class and benefits the rich, who can survive a downturn with relative ease.

The "Alberta Advantage" they call it. But it is only advantageous for the wealthy and oil companies. I'm sick of the PCs. I don't think I've ever hated any political parties more that I hate the current provincial and federal PCs.

Of course, I won't vote Liberal for ideological reasons, nor NDP because, well, they're the NDP.

LOLzilla
03-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Liberals will be getting my vote. They have been proposing what the PC's are about to propose for years but aren't adding gotchas like "Business taxes and Royalty rates cannot be touched". Everybody needs to share in this mess.

Robin Goodfellow
03-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by duaner
I agree with the general sentiment of this thread--there is no party worth voting for. In the past, I've always voted PC because they more or less lined up with my ideology and were the lesser of the evils. But this time around, both federally and provincially, there is no lesser evil; they're each just as bad as the next. The PCs have to be ousted but it is doubtful.

The problem with the provincial PCs is that they've long been bought by the wealthy and big business, particularly in O&G. Apart from being complete morons by basing everything on oil prices remaining high, they are going to blame everything on everyone else and hurt the little guy and less fortunate. Norway has done it right. Alberta clearly has not.

All they had to do was get rid of the flat tax and it would have given AB around 8 billion, or so an article said that I can't find the link to. But of course they'll do their cuts instead, which will hurt most people but particularly the poor. That is on top of the flat tax which already hurts the poor and middle class and benefits the rich, who can survive a downturn with relative ease.

The "Alberta Advantage" they call it. But it is only advantageous for the wealthy and oil companies. I'm sick of the PCs. I don't think I've ever hated any political parties more that I hate the current provincial and federal PCs.

Of course, I won't vote Liberal for ideological reasons, nor NDP because, well, they're the NDP.

I hate you fucking people. Against all good sense, you voted the PCs in to fuck up our country and mismanage our province.

Now that it's all gone south, you're unwilling to entertain an alternative, but instead nihilisticly throw your hands in the air and pretend that disaster is unavoidable.

I'm cognizant of the shortcomings of the other parties... but after having put the worst party possible in power, don't you owe it to yourself, and others, to support an alternative?

Fucking retarded PC voters.

AndyL
03-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Wild rose FTMFW! I can't possibly vote PC in my new riding. I'd not vote before I voted for Danielle smith.

01RedDX
03-15-2015, 06:24 PM

Thales of Miletus
03-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

I hate you fucking people. Against all good sense, you voted the PCs in to fuck up our country and mismanage our province.

Now that it's all gone south, you're unwilling to entertain an alternative, but instead nihilisticly throw your hands in the air and pretend that disaster is unavoidable.

I'm cognizant of the shortcomings of the other parties... but after having put the worst party possible in power, don't you owe it to yourself, and others, to support an alternative?

The PC's and/or O&G have effectively used fear to keep the PCs in power. How many times have Albertans been told that every company will leave, if Alberta tries to charge them the going rate?

Remember when Stelmach suggested Alberta look at the royalty review. The Corporations threw a shit fit and the PC's freaked on Stelmach.

Nitro5
03-15-2015, 07:17 PM
I lived under the NDP in BC. They were 10x as corrupt than the PCs. Instead of corporations it was big unions. Union shops buying contracts instead of corporations resulted in the same thing. Add on top of it crippling taxes to pay for everything. Don't worry, the NDP will only tax the rich, but to them your rich if you make more than $40k a year. No jobs unless you suck the union cock and pay their dues.

No way will I ever vote NDP. I'm entertaining the Liberals and Alberta Party, but they are weak. It sucks all around.

duaner
03-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Wow, your panties sure got all bunched up. Get a grip. There isn't and hasn't been an alternative. Provincially, perhaps the Liberals would be better, but given enough time, they'll be just as corrupt. I find it quite unbelievable that people like you exist--people that think "their" party will be so much better. They're all the same, each as corrupt as the next. Sometimes in different ways but they're all corrupt.

Federally, it makes no difference who I vote for. I'm in Harper's riding.

Thales of Miletus
03-15-2015, 08:48 PM
I lived under the NDP in BC. They were 10x as corrupt than the PCs. Instead of corporations it was big unions. Union shops buying contracts instead of corporations resulted in the same thing. Add on top of it crippling taxes to pay for everything. Don't worry, the NDP will only tax the rich, but to them your rich if you make more than $40k a year. No jobs unless you suck the union cock and pay their dues.

No way will I ever vote NDP. I'm entertaining the Liberals and Alberta Party, but they are weak. It sucks all around.

BC is a completely different world than Alberta. The people there have different life goals as well.

But you are right the NDP in B.C. was shitty. Remember however it was corrupted by it's long serving old age.

The PCs are currently suffering from the same effect of being in power forever. Corruption and dementia.

It is time for them to go.

Vote Liberal, and then after 5 years vote a fresh group of PCs in, after their party has been gutted.

MGCM
03-15-2015, 09:27 PM
i nominate Rage2 to start the "Beyond Alberta Political Party":thumbsup:

16hypen3sp
03-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Under no circumstance do I support the current Alberta gov moving to a progressive tax system. They are nowhere near fiscally responsible enough for us to hand them more money.

When you include all the taxes everyone pays, we're taxed enough.

As for the Feds... The Conservatives have dropped tax freedom day to a level not seen since '85... around the beginning of June.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/uploadedFiles/fraser-ca/Content/research-news/research/publications/tax-freedom-day-2014.pdf

In contrast, the beloved Norway has its tax freedom day at the end of July!!

http://www.dates.abouttravelingtheworld.com/special-holidays/tax-freedom-day/

Thales of Miletus
03-15-2015, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Under no circumstance do I support the current Alberta gov moving to a progressive tax system. They are nowhere near fiscally responsible enough for us to hand them more money.

When you include all the taxes everyone pays, we're taxed enough.

As for the Feds... The Conservatives have dropped tax freedom day to a level not seen since '85... around the beginning of June.

In contrast, the beloved Norway has its tax freedom day at the end of July!!

If you don't pay taxes you pay in some other way.

Canada post costs a dollar to send a letter. UPS costs $60. AGT once cost $4 a month for a phone, now we have Telus and pay $45.

Government can do some things more effectively than the private sector, the idea that we have to keep everything we earn is logically flawed.

We have a pretty good life, but if you hate paying taxes, move to Somalia.

msommers
03-15-2015, 11:57 PM
Liberal. Something needs to change.

16hypen3sp
03-16-2015, 12:52 AM

If you don't pay taxes you pay in some other way.

Canada post costs a dollar to send a letter. UPS costs $60. AGT once cost $4 a month for a phone, now we have Telus and pay $45.

Government can do some things more effectively than the private sector, the idea that we have to keep everything we earn is logically flawed.

We have a pretty good life, but if you hate paying taxes, move to Somalia.

I don't mind paying taxes at a reasonable level. I understand the need for them. But the current AB gov doesn't have the best management record.

Anyways, I didn't vote PC in 2012 and I don't plan to again in the next provincial election... and the alternative choices are very poor as well.

As for federal, the Conservatives get my vote. No way I'd ever vote Liberal with their current leader...

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

I don't mind paying taxes at a reasonable level. I understand the need for them. But the current AB gov doesn't have the best management record.

Lougheed was a great leader. He got the best bang for the buck, got a good return on resources for Albertans, and ran the government with an iron fist.

But since his time, revenue has dropped like a rock. Even in this day, we don't get close to the royalties that Lougheed and corporations found fair in 1975.

Below is a chart that explains why the PCs have to go.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag472/C_is_for_Cookie/line_zpsbfo12xnv.jpg (http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/C_is_for_Cookie/media/line_zpsbfo12xnv.jpg.html)

And if that is not enough of a reason. Consider that Alberta has been saving for twice as long and has produced far more oil and gas than Norway.

Now compare the governments management of the savings in a rainy day fund.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag472/C_is_for_Cookie/com_oil_sav_funds_zpsenubsqno.jpg (http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/C_is_for_Cookie/media/com_oil_sav_funds_zpsenubsqno.jpg.html)

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 02:32 AM
I have decided it is time to form the "Beyond Party".

Our mandate will be, to increase royalties to recommended levels and to use most of the increase for an Alberta pension fund.

It will pay Albertans $100 a year, times how many years you have lived in Alberta. So if you lived here 50 years, at 65 you will get $5,000 a year, or $416.00 a month on top of your old age pension.

The Beyond Party will also give tax deductions to people who stay in shape and therefore do not use the healthcare system. More, and better, recreational facilities will be build.

Anyone born after the year 2000, will not legally be allowed to smoke cigarettes. But anyone over twenty can legally smoke pot.

Prostitution will be legalized and Edmonton will be forced to employ ex pimps for Pot Hole repair.

FraserB
03-16-2015, 06:52 AM
You don't need more social entitlements, you need to teach people not to be retarded with their money and get them to start looking out for themselves.

R154
03-16-2015, 07:57 AM
You don't need more social entitlements, you need to teach people not to be retarded with their money and get them to start looking out for themselves.

bingo.

Feruk
03-16-2015, 08:40 AM
2.5 pages of people bitching about the Alberta PCs and yet not a single person has even said what the Liberals or Alberta party would do differently... I suspect the reason is that (a) people don't know, and (b) they'd do nothing differently. So unless someone actually has a reason to vote FOR a different party (not against the PCs) other than "we need a change", you're wasting your time.

Federally, they're all bad, but from everything I've seen Trudeau is worse.

Nitro5
03-16-2015, 09:26 AM
That's what people are bitching about. The other parties bring nothing.

zipdoa
03-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

but he's gonna wegalize leed, bro

killramos
03-16-2015, 09:40 AM
2.5 pages of people bitching about the Alberta PCs and yet not a single person has even said what the Liberals or Alberta party would do differently... I suspect the reason is that (a) people don't know, and (b) they'd do nothing differently. So unless someone actually has a reason to vote FOR a different party (not against the PCs) other than "we need a change", you're wasting your time.

The Federal liberals are the same way. I guess they can't be called liars if they don't promise anything during their campaigns.

"We will be different" could mean nothing more than we will change the blue drapes to red :rolleyes:

I am still cautiously optimistic about Prentice's governance. He doesn't seem to have the same disdain for voters (and the law) that Redford had :dunno:

ExtraSlow
03-16-2015, 09:42 AM
I'll throw this out there, if anyone is in the Federal riding of Calgary-Confederation, and would like to meet their Liberal candidate, let me know. He's a buddy of mine, and I've never voted Liberal before, but I am seriously considering it this time based on my discussions with him.

killramos
03-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'll throw this out there, if anyone is in the Federal riding of Calgary-Confederation, and would like to meet their Liberal candidate, let me know. He's a buddy of mine, and I've never voted Liberal before, but I am seriously considering it this time based on my discussions with him.

lol you mean turncoat webber doesnt tickle your fancy? I fought so hard against him in the nomination I was pissed he got the seat...

His team had the gall to ask me for money a couple weeks ago to...

A790
03-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Wow, your panties sure got all bunched up. Get a grip. There isn't and hasn't been an alternative. Provincially, perhaps the Liberals would be better, but given enough time, they'll be just as corrupt. I find it quite unbelievable that people like you exist--people that think "their" party will be so much better. They're all the same, each as corrupt as the next. Sometimes in different ways but they're all corrupt.

Federally, it makes no difference who I vote for. I'm in Harper's riding.
I think the point to take away from his rant against you is the idiocy of refusing to change despite recognizing the need to dos o.

You go on a rant about how shitty the PC's are, but then say you won't vote liberal and you won't vote NDP. Presumably, that means you're voting PC again.

Who needs to get a grip here?

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 11:41 AM

A pension plan from the resources we all own is an entitlement?

What is a 1% royalty rate for mega-rich oil companies if not an entitlement?

People need to learn that they are allowed to have a second bowl of gruel without feeling that they are a leach. Demand better for yourself, you are a human being, not a slave.

duaner
03-16-2015, 11:45 AM

I think the point to take away from his rant against you is the idiocy of refusing to change despite recognizing the need to dos o.

You go on a rant about how shitty the PC's are, but then say you won't vote liberal and you won't vote NDP. Presumably, that means you're voting PC again.

Who needs to get a grip here?
Not me. You have assumed too much. I only voted PC last election because the alternatives were worse. My hand was forced. But since the PCs have become even worse yet, there is simply no way I'll vote PC.

But once again, as other users have pointed out, there simply is no better alternative. I'll either not vote, spoil my ballot in protest, or vote for some insignificant party if one appears on my ballot.

Feruk
03-16-2015, 12:18 PM
What is a 1% royalty rate for mega-rich oil companies if not an entitlement?
Please elaborate... Who exactly pays 1% royalty rate? Just from a quick look at one of the bigger and more successful companies, Crescent Point, reveals that they paid 18% in royalties and reinvested every penny they made back into the ground. CNRL paid 18% as well in royalties. So instead of spouting more bullshit, why don't you tell us exactly WHICH of these mega-rich oil companies pays 1% in royalties in Alberta??

icky2unk
03-16-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm going to vote this year and i'm going to vote PC just because thales leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

icky2unk
03-16-2015, 12:38 PM
I have decided it is time to form the "Beyond Party".

Our mandate will be, to increase royalties to recommended levels and to use most of the increase for an Alberta pension fund.

It will pay Albertans $100 a year, times how many years you have lived in Alberta. So if you lived here 50 years, at 65 you will get $5,000 a year, or $416.00 a month on top of your old age pension.

The Beyond Party will also give tax deductions to people who stay in shape and therefore do not use the healthcare system. More, and better, recreational facilities will be build.

Anyone born after the year 2000, will not legally be allowed to smoke cigarettes. But anyone over twenty can legally smoke pot.

Prostitution will be legalized and Edmonton will be forced to employ ex pimps for Pot Hole repair.

Do we take IQ tests and the higher we score the higher multiplier we get?

btimbit
03-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by icky2unk
I'm going to vote this year and i'm going to vote PC just because thales leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Hmm. I wasn't going to, but you bring up a good poiunt. If Thales supports something, it clearly isn't the right thing to do

icky2unk
03-16-2015, 12:42 PM

Hmm. I wasn't going to, but you bring up a good poiunt. If Thales supports something, it clearly isn't the right thing to do

It's people like Thales and Robin who encourage the opposite of what they are trying to achieve lol.

You'd think someone with such an IQ would realize that.

Isaiah
03-16-2015, 12:54 PM

Not me. You have assumed too much. I only voted PC last election because the alternatives were worse. My hand was forced. But since the PCs have become even worse yet, there is simply no way I'll vote PC.

But once again, as other users have pointed out, there simply is no better alternative. I'll either not vote, spoil my ballot in protest, or vote for some insignificant party if one appears on my ballot.
We keep hearing terms like "no better alternative" but how can you say that when Alberta hasn't had an alternative party in power in over 40 years?

Albertans have completely bought in to the fear mongering of the governing party. What's the worst that could happen if you gave a viable party like the Liberals a shot? How could they possibly do any worse than the PCs? I've met interim (and former) party leader Dr. David Swann on several occasions and have heard many of his interviews. He's a very intelligent man and has a very clear vision for this province but unfortunately his party is just not given a chance to lead because Albertans are too scared.

Already took the liberty of making a campaign poster.

Tik-Tok
03-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

We keep hearing terms like "no better alternative" but how can you say that when Alberta hasn't had an alternative party in power in over 40 years?

Albertans have completely bought in to the fear mongering of the governing party. What's the worst that could happen if you gave a viable party like the Liberals a shot? How could they possibly do any worse than the PCs?

Even though they aren't really the same parties, all Albertans have to do is look to our west to get scared shitless of the Liberals (or NDP).

That's how you do worse.

A790
03-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Even though they aren't really the same parties, all Albertans have to do is look to our west to get scared shitless of the Liberals (or NDP).

That's how you do worse.
:rolleyes:

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 02:33 PM

So instead of spouting more bullshit, why don't you tell us exactly WHICH of these mega-rich oil companies pays 1% in royalties in Alberta??

So instead of being insulting, why don't you read up before you comment? You don't seem to understand that supposed reinvestment is a way to avoid paying higher royalty rates.

The current royalty system for oil sands production is a generic system established in 1997 to encourage investment and development of the oil sands. A royalty rate of 1% of the project's gross revenue currently applies for the period up to payout - when the developer has made profit equal to the capital invested in the project plus an allowance equal to the long term government bond interest rate, to recognize financing costs during the construction period.The royalty rate after payout is currently the greater of:

25% of the project's net revenue (gross revenue minus allowable costs), and
1% of the project's gross revenue.

While the royalty rate is a flat rate, the rate is price sensitive as it adjusts with profits which are correlated with oil prices.

The Panel concluded that the base royalty rate of 1% for the pre-payout period is still appropriate; however, the net royalty rate after payout should be increased to 33% from 25% and the base royalty rate should be payable in addition to the net royalty rate after payout.

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 02:36 PM

That's how you do worse.

So an Albertan is exactly like a person from Quebec?

It is impossible to do worse that the PC's. The PC plan for a 9% cut to services is equal to a 9% tax increase.

Tik-Tok
03-16-2015, 02:41 PM

:rolleyes:

Guess you'd have to have grown up in BC to know exactly how bad both those parties fucked the province far FAR worse than what the PC's have done here.

So an Albertan is exactly like a person from Quebec?

Didn't realize Quebec was west of Alberta, genius.

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 02:45 PM

Didn't realize Quebec was west of Alberta, genius.

I was countering your logic. You asserted that all liberals are the same. If the people of the two provinces are not the same, why would the politicians be the same?

I lived in B.C. for 20 years and have been in every town in that province. BC is a different world than Alberta. People out in BC make time for living. But you claim that the NDP was terrible, had more to do with how long they were in power, versus what party they were. And just like the long serving NDP, the long serving Alberta PCs have to go.

p.s. Why do people have to insult others when they are on the net?

Tik-Tok
03-16-2015, 02:49 PM

I was countering your logic. You asserted that all liberals are the same. If the people of the two provinces are not the same, why would the politicians be the same?

No I didn't, re-read my first post.

EM2FTL
03-16-2015, 02:50 PM

It is impossible to do worse that the PC's. The PC plan for a 9% cut to services is equal to a 9% tax increase.

What plan is that? The %'s being thrown out are pure speculation, you might want to wait for the actual budget to come out.

JRSC00LUDE
03-16-2015, 02:52 PM

No I didn't, re-read my first post.

Reading comprehension is near the bottom of his abilities but he's not afraid to tell you what he decided you said. Petulance ranks highest for him I'd say.

If anyone cared, they could string together several dozen quotes of you insulting people. All of them on......THE INTERNET!!!! :eek:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/pot-meet-kettle_zpsl0ttujvu.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/JRSC00LUDE/media/pot-meet-kettle_zpsl0ttujvu.jpg.html)

A mod should just perma-attach this as your signature….

Nitro5
03-16-2015, 03:31 PM

I lived in B.C. for 20 years and have been in every town in that province. BC is a different world than Alberta. People out in BC make time for living. But you claim that the NDP was terrible, had more to do with how long they were in power, versus what party they were. And just like the long serving NDP, the long serving Alberta PCs have to go.

Because you make idiotic statements like highlighted above.

Every town eh?

btimbit
03-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

If anyone cared, they could string together several dozen quotes of you insulting people. All of them on......THE INTERNET!!!! :eek:

A mod should just perma-ban this troll….

fyp

icky2unk
03-16-2015, 03:41 PM

So instead of being insulting, why don't you read up before you comment? You don't seem to understand that supposed reinvestment is a way to avoid paying higher royalty rates.

The current royalty system for oil sands production is a generic system established in 1997 to encourage investment and development of the oil sands. A royalty rate of 1% of the project's gross revenue currently applies for the period up to payout - when the developer has made profit equal to the capital invested in the project plus an allowance equal to the long term government bond interest rate, to recognize financing costs during the construction period.The royalty rate after payout is currently the greater of:

While the royalty rate is a flat rate, the rate is price sensitive as it adjusts with profits which are correlated with oil prices.

The Panel concluded that the base royalty rate of 1% for the pre-payout period is still appropriate; however, the net royalty rate after payout should be increased to 33% from 25% and the base royalty rate should be payable in addition to the net royalty rate after payout.

TYPING IN BIGGER BOLD TEXT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR POST ANY MORE INFORMATIVE OR USEFUL

Feruk
03-16-2015, 03:44 PM

The current royalty system for oil sands production is a generic system established in 1997 to encourage investment and development of the oil sands. A royalty rate of 1%of the project's gross revenue currently applies for the period up to payout - when the developer has made profit equal to the capital invested in the project plus an allowance equal to the long term government bond interest rate, to recognize financing costs during the construction period.The royalty rate after payout is currently the greater of:

Which means that your comment about mega-rich oil companies paying 1% in royalties is at the least misleading and at the most just a straight out lie. If you're gonna write something like that, you've gotta put the caveat in that it applies ONLY to new oil sands projects and ONLY before payout. By excluding that, you're just being untruthful, which is what got on my nerves.

icky2unk
03-16-2015, 03:47 PM
I think more of the issue isn't that we aren't making enough money.

It's that the government doesn't know how to properly spend and budget.

You can charge 100% royalty but if the government pisses it all away you are at back at step 1 except you can't charge anything more.

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 04:01 PM

Because you make idiotic statements like highlighted above.

Every town eh?

Pretty much. From Merville to Houston, from Trail to Kitimat. When you are a contractor, and work at job sites from two days to four weeks, and work on 20 plus job sites a year, you do a lot of travelling and find yourself in some pretty nice places. I really liked Powell River in the 80s.

Again, thanks for the insults, it contributes so much to a mature conversation.

Which means that your comment about mega-rich oil companies paying 1% in royalties is at the least misleading and at the most just a straight out lie. If you're gonna write something like that, you've gotta put the caveat in that it applies ONLY to new oil sands projects and ONLY before payout. By excluding that, you're just being untruthful, which is what got on my nerves.

Why didn't you ask me to clarify the comment for you?

The biggest project are in the Tar Sands and those projects are run by mega-rich corporations.

It seems that some peoples first instinct is to fly into a sort of road rage, instead of simply carrying on the conversation.

Petulance ranks highest for him say.

Yeah okay Scott. Lead your little gang of juveniles to the beat of your hypocritical drum.

Sugarphreak
03-16-2015, 04:40 PM

Nitro5
03-16-2015, 05:22 PM

Pretty much. From Merville to Houston, from Trail to Kitimat. When you are a contractor, and work at job sites from two days to four weeks, and work on 20 plus job sites a year, you do a lot of travelling and find yourself in some pretty nice places. I really liked Powell River in the 80s.

Again, thanks for the insults, it contributes so much to a mature conversation.

Why didn't you ask me to clarify the comment for you?

The biggest project are in the Tar Sands and those projects are run by mega-rich corporations.

It seems that some peoples first instinct is to fly into a sort of road rage, instead of simply carrying on the conversation.

Yeah okay Scott. Lead your little gang of juveniles to the beat of your hypocritical drum.

Still is complete and utter bullshit saying you've been in every....single....town.....

I've worked extensively throughout BC myself when I was younger, but I don't even believe for a second I've hit every town.

The choice of words is just an overall reflection of you narsistic attitude that comes through all your posts.

Tik-Tok
03-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

This

BC had a way bigger economy than Alberta... Hydro, Trees, Mining, Fishing... and three of those things are even renewable if managed correctly.

Between Social Credit and the NDP, they effectively killed it with bad socialist policies.

NDP is a very destructive force

And then everyone said, "Well, how much worse could the Liberals be?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

KrisYYC
03-16-2015, 05:25 PM
What do you guys know about the Alberta Party?

Are they a more socially liberal Wildrose?

JRSC00LUDE
03-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Oooooh, I see were on a first name basis now. How clever!

Please, expose the hypocrisy. You're the one who goes against his own posts. I've been the same person here since I've been on the forum. Also, you'll notice that I'm only one of many who call you on your bullshit. I've just been the most vocal lately.

And, while you're right that I would consider myself a leader, it's foolhardy to suggest I lead anyone here. There's plenty of people who don't need assistance to see through your crap. ;)

I've taken you off ignore became you amuse me. If nothing else, I admire your tenacity. Don't worry, the amusement is wearing thin, you will be relegated to the backpages again soon enough. Not really worth the time.

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 07:00 PM

Still is complete and utter bullshit saying you've been in every....single....town.....

I've worked extensively throughout BC myself when I was younger, but I don't even believe for a second I've hit every town.

The choice of words is just an overall reflection of you narsistic attitude that comes through all your posts.

I will speak more pedantically in the future. I didn't know such a off the cuff comment would send you into a rage.

If you would like me to list every town, I could probably do it. Whatever helps you get past your anger.

Oooooh, I see were on a first name basis now. Blah blah blah.

Please, expose the hypocrisy. Blah blah blah

You have a need to be seen as an intellectual superior. So much so that you use five dollar words on a regular basis.

I know your sister well enough to tell you that her cats name is Cosmo. But I only know that you drink too much and have a big mouth.

JRSC00LUDE
03-16-2015, 07:09 PM
I couldn't care less if you, or anyone else, thinks I'm "intellectual". How does one assign monetary value to a word anyways? I'm not sure I'd pay five dollars for one. I do enjoy watching you back track on your words though.

If you know me like you say, introduce yourself sport! Or, remain cryptic and hidden if that suits your fancy. :dunno:

killramos
03-16-2015, 07:14 PM

You have a need to be seen as an intellectual superior.

:rofl:

Don't have time to type out anything wittier on a cell phone. Your words are enough of a self flaming.

JRSC00LUDE
03-16-2015, 07:18 PM
I will admit, he's right. I have a big mouth, anyone surprised? Always willing to back it up though :)

btimbit
03-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by killramos

:rofl:

Don't have time to type out anything wittier on a cell phone. Your words are enough of a self flaming.

That "Pot, meet Kettle" pic could be used to reply to almost every single one of his posts.

Thales stalking JRS is starting to get a little creepy though

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 07:35 PM

That "Pot, meet Kettle" pic could be used to reply to almost every single one of his posts.

Thales stalking JRS is starting to get a little creepy though

Yes yes. You are his buddy, so you are going to go with the opposite of what is actually happening.

JRS has been butthurt and stalking each of my posts, as have some others, since I dared defend Toma's character.

Of course we can't stay on topic, and of course we have to turn to flaming, because it is what grown men do. Rolleyes.

killramos
03-16-2015, 07:38 PM

Toma's character.

There he goes again with the lols :rofl:

Next thing you know he will be working to "protect his good name"

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by killramos

There he goes again with the lols :rofl:

Next thing you know he will be working to "protect his good name"

I think Toma is a nice person, knows what he is talking about, and is very smart.

That is my opinion.

There seems to be a little gang on this site.

Killramos, JRSFOOLDUDE, btimbit, dirtsniffer, Sugarfreak, Nitro5, rx7_turbo2 .

Am I missing anyone from the flamer group?

FraserB
03-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Can I be part of the gang?

I'm not a flamer but I want to hang with the cool kids.:(

killramos
03-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Cool I'm first on the list!

JRSC00LUDE
03-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Funny, I often defended Toma. While I didn't always agree with his full position, his logic in getting there made sense. I think Toma is quite smart. :dunno:

:hijack:

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC
What do you guys know about the Alberta Party?

Are they a more socially liberal Wildrose?

They were right wing, until the Wildrose took their ultra right members. Now they seem to be more centrist.

A compassionate conservative party I think would best describe them.

Nitro5
03-16-2015, 07:55 PM

I think Toma is a nice person, knows what he is talking about, and is very smart.

That is my opinion.

There seems to be a little gang on this site.

Killramos, JRSFOOLDUDE, btimbit, Sugarfreak, Nitro5. Tik-Tok.

Am I missing anyone from the flamer group?

That's cool, can we have a handshake? All good gangs have a good hand shake.

BTW Thales I deleted your PM without even reading it. Keep your bullshit public please.

Don't you find it interesting that you find conflict where ever you post? That it seems to follow you. Could be a gang of people that follow you around, or maybe, just maybe, you draw it out through your own actions. Not just here, but other forums as well as I understand it.

It has to be everyone else. You're far too above it, aren't you?

btimbit
03-16-2015, 08:05 PM
Funny, I'm not too sure I've even talked directly to any of the other 'gang' members. That's a pretty unorganized group:rofl:

Why is it that anyone that is tired of your shtick must be part of a conspiracy

Classic troll move, make it seem like everyone is out to get you

Tik-Tok
03-16-2015, 08:11 PM
I've flamed him twice I think. Calling him a genius, and suggesting he's Toma... Must be a pretty sensitive guy, lol.

Sugarphreak
03-16-2015, 08:13 PM

killramos
03-16-2015, 08:14 PM
I've flamed him twice I think. Calling him a genius, and suggesting he's Toma... Must be a pretty sensitive guy, lol.

That or being called Toma is one hell of an insult :rofl:

rx7_turbo2
03-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
He is on my ignore list, I don't even reply to him anymore. Others would be well advised to do the same.........but they won't. :nut:

Thales of Miletus
03-16-2015, 09:27 PM

That's cool, can we have a handshake? All good gangs have a good hand shake.

BTW Thales I deleted your PM without even reading it. Keep your bullshit public please.

Typical. You ask me a question. I answer it. You ignore my answer.

This is what people do who do not want to have informations.

Be it Sugarfreak, because he doesn't want to believe that Climate Change is real, or someone else because they don't want to believe in gravity.