PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have tricks to buy Claritan for cheap(er)?

birdman86
03-15-2015, 06:47 PM
My allergies are already starting to pick up and I was reminded today that a bottle of claritan pills costs like $40 for 36 pills or something. Does anybody have any leads on a better deal? The stuffs a lifesaver so I'll get it one way or another, just prefer not to break the bank doing so.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Shy of getting Rx versions I have yet to find a cheaper method other than buying generic brand.

I used to love the gel cap versions but now I can only use Rx heavy duty grade. I hate allergies :(

fiveowed
03-15-2015, 07:06 PM
Can buy a bottle of ephedrine at popeyes for like 8 bucks. Does the same thing as Claraitan. Works great for me during allergy season.

ExtraSlow
03-15-2015, 07:14 PM
I have heard good things about the ephedrine, haven't tried it.
As mentioned above, generics are usually significantly cheaper. Go to superstore, start reading the boxes, do a little $/pill math, and boom, big savings.

roll_over
03-15-2015, 07:35 PM
http://www.claritin.ca/includes/pdf/coupon_en.pdf

But a stamp is $1 so it's only $2 off could call them and tell them how much you like the product and ask for coupons. There are other tricks just to lazy to post it all

Smartsource.ca has coupons once in a while but they limit the amount you can print to IP address

Check superstore coupon board and if you find them just take a ton of them

max_boost
03-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I have heard good things about the ephedrine, haven't tried it.
As mentioned above, generics are usually significantly cheaper. Go to superstore, start reading the boxes, do a little $/pill math, and boom, big savings. I have been doing this. :thumbsup:

Canucks3322
03-15-2015, 08:15 PM
I been using the Super store generic version of Reactine but only use half a cap because I been paranoid of building tolerance. .. for the past 3:years now Ive done half a cap from June 1ish to middle of Sept... knock on wood hope the half cap continues to work...I don't want to build tolerance to a point where drugs don't work then Ill have to move.

birdman86
03-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Has anyone had allergy shots? One person told me they are basically a cure but I've been skeptical.

roopi
03-15-2015, 09:20 PM
60 pills for $42 with free shipping.
https://well.ca/brand/claritin.html

carson blocks
03-15-2015, 10:23 PM
I used to use Claritin, but switched to Reactine, then to the Costco brand Reactine. $18.99/200 pills IIRC. Works just as well as anything else I've tried and you can't beat the price. A buck a pill or more for name brand at the drug store is robbery.

bjstare
03-16-2015, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by birdman86
Has anyone had allergy shots? One person told me they are basically a cure but I've been skeptical.

My dad's done this with great success. I remember he had severe allergies whenever we were out on the farm or ranch, and also around most cats/dogs. He started doing the shots before they were common (~10 years ago?), and I haven't seen him take a pill in ages. Based on what he says, it seems like he thinks they're basically a cure as well.

adam c
03-16-2015, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

My dad's done this with great success. I remember he had severe allergies whenever we were out on the farm or ranch, and also around most cats/dogs. He started doing the shots before they were common (~10 years ago?), and I haven't seen him take a pill in ages. Based on what he says, it seems like he thinks they're basically a cure as well.

I asked my Dr. about the shots and was basically told they are a waste of time as they're only good for about a week before needing a booster or am I being told wrong?

JRSC00LUDE
03-16-2015, 08:04 AM
I used to swear by claritin, whether it was mental or not the drug store brands didn't seem as effective. Reactine gave me headaches and problems sleeping. Then, as the sudden, I completely grew out of my allergies, spring no longer affects me and neither do cats. Don't ask me why/how but I'm not complaining! :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
03-16-2015, 08:16 AM
I did the 10-week preseasonal course of shots for about a decade earlier in my life. I think over time, my allergies have lessened. Was it the 100 needles, or was it something else? I don't know, and I can't prove it.
I have also heard of folks getting cortizone injected, although that's a pretty "old school" thing to do, and it isn't common or popular. I know one guy who swears by it.

Also, JRSC00LUDE, it was mental, the generics are the same dosage, and the same purity.

JRSC00LUDE
03-16-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm certain it was ExtraSlow, which was great anecdotal evidence of the placebo effect. I think when my symptoms were at their worst when first discovered, claritin was the relief and there was a psychological attachment to that. Amazing really, how your brain can trick you.

ExtraSlow
03-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Placebo is the most effective drug ever created. It's awesome.

ekguy
03-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by birdman86

I used to have these back home in New Brunswick since I was allergic to a huge amount of different pollens.

They aren't a miracle cure but the closest I've been with regards to my allergies. I would definitely give it a try if it's covered by your benefits as it can be quite costly otherwise.

Ben
03-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Costco!

dannie
03-16-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm gonna second the ephedrine.

I was in mexico with my sister a few years ago and my allergies flared up one night and of course, I forgot my allegra. She convinced me to try the ephedrine she brought and sure as can be, within 30 min of taking one, my runny - snotty- nose cleared up. When I started looking into it, most allergy meds contain a pseudo-ephedrine (sp?) and the more I looked into it, it seemed simpler to take a straight up ephedrine pill.

I buy them at GNC, 4 packs of 50 tablets each (200 pills) is $18.

The only down side - depending on how you look at it.... its also an appetite suppressant.

Strider
03-16-2015, 12:53 PM
Get a prescription for loratadine 20mg and cut them in half.
If you have health coverage for prescription medication, even better.

A790
03-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by dannie
The only down side - depending on how you look at it.... its also an appetite suppressant.
60% of the North American population could use something like that...

RX_EVOLV
03-16-2015, 03:24 PM
They are so much cheaper at Costco! i don't know the exact cost but it's at least 50% cheaper than say Shoppers.

I used to take Claritin religiously, but I started taking the Kirkland brand from costco and they work even better. I think they were $18.99 for 200 but I might be wrong. Much cheaper than the brand name stuff for sure though.

roll_over
03-27-2015, 05:20 PM
If you're still looking they are releasing a $5 off coupon for Claritin on the superstore coupon board soon for 20 tabs or more

01RedDX
03-27-2015, 06:01 PM

ExtraSlow
03-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Hey, anyone know if there3 is a difference between the Pseudoephedrine that is sold in pharmacies for decongestants, and the "ephedrine" that weightlifters stack with caffeine? Is that just the same stuff? I had a weightlifter buddy of mine tell me that I should buy the ephedrine from popeyes and use that for allergies.

ExtraSlow
03-29-2015, 12:47 PM
So, this isn't Claritin, but I bought some Generic Reactine today at Co-op. 10mg Certirizine Hydrochloride tablets, 18 count, $7.99.
10mg is the "extra strength". That's 44 cents a pill. I believe that's a decent deal.

Maxx Mazda
03-29-2015, 03:54 PM
I used to have the WORST seasonal allergies right around stampede time. Got a prescription for prednisone and cleared right up.

Canucks3322
03-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
So, this isn't Claritin, but I bought some Generic Reactine today at Co-op. 10mg Certirizine Hydrochloride tablets, 18 count, $7.99.
10mg is the "extra strength". That's 44 cents a pill. I believe that's a decent deal.

$14.99 for 72 pills of the Superstore's generic brand, used it for 3 summers now..on top of that I only take half the pill to do the job :thumbsup:

I realize OP if talking Claritan but give Reactine/Certirizine Hydrochloride a shot...