PDA

View Full Version : Shaw -> TELUS

alanaround
03-18-2015, 07:30 AM
So right now I'm with Shaw and have (although maybe the packs have changed) Home Phone/50M Internet/Basic TV Package. I'm looking to cut the monthly cost and also cut off my home phone as I've been trialling a voip.ms service and I'm at the stage where I'm ready to port my Shaw phone number over to this SIP service.

My issues/unknowns are with TELUS's internet service and if you can run their equipment in bridge mode or if they allow inbound connections to ports like 5060 and 5061 for SIP and if I can configure a port forward on their equipment if I can't bridge it..

Also, I use usenet. It's on port 443 outbound but does TELUS throttle this because at the moment, when my Shaw link isn't saturated I get the full ~50M download.

Basically, before I make the jump, I want to make sure this is all going to work first.. I also own a really old shaw TV box so I'm fed up with feeling like I'm in the 90s when I flip through the menu system..

any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

spikerS
03-18-2015, 07:49 AM
I don't know the technical side of it, but i have access to a referral program at work, and if you choose to use it, it gets you a $50 bill credit, and if you end up with any issues, let me know, and I can contact people on the inside directly for you to make sure it gets fixed right.

eblend
03-18-2015, 08:03 AM
In summary, everything will work, details below:

If you are a new customer you will most likely end up with v1200h modem which supports bridge mode. If you end up with the slighly older v1000h you can easily port forward whatever you want. I have a checkpoint firewall sitting behind my v1000h and the IP of the firewall just sits in the DMZ on v1000h and everything works great.

The sip ports you mentioned are no problem, I have been a voip.ms customer myself on sip for about 5 years now, no issues. You will actually find that the higher upstream traffic will benefit your voip calls.

I also use usenet. I am on a 50mbps connection with telus and get 6.3MB/s constant download speed.

Basically, you will have no issues with anything you are doing now or planning on doing. The only things that Telus blocks on their residential connections is port 80 (http server), 443 (https server), 21 (FTP) and 25 (Mail server)...as well as a few others most people will never use. As long as you aren't planning on hosting any websites or servers at home, you are solid. Even if you wanted to host a web server there are ways around it.

alanaround
03-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, exactly what I needed.

Just one last thing, out of curiosity, it says I can get Optik in my area, but I only see a copper drop in my basement for TELUS (new house build, (09-2010). How does TELUS delivery their internet and TV service? over existing copper through xDSL?

SpikerS, i'll drop you a PM when we're ready to make the move :thumbsup:

eblend
03-18-2015, 01:00 PM
It depends if your house has fiber or not. If you just see the copper doesn't mean that there isn't a fiber cable rolled up outside inside the box. The fiber cable is pretty thin so it doesn't take up much space. If you call telus you can ask them if they actually have fiber to the house or not, they can check on the computer by your address if they have fiber to the home in your community. Since you said it is fairly new you should be able to have it. If you don't have fiber, they will just run all your services over xDSL. I believe the max you qualify for is 25mbps for xdsl, however they can use two pair of copper wires and get you to 50mbps, i haven't actually seen that configuration myself but I know it can be done.

Just call them and ask if you can get fiber to the home.

JustinMCS
03-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I have copper in my building and they are installing Telus 100 on saturday. I have also asked for fiber to be installed our building.

I am getting the new V2200h modem with bridging on port 1.

CanmoreOrLess
03-18-2015, 01:37 PM
I had Shaw TV, internet (major issues) and landline for a couple of years. Shaw was not fixing the internet issues after three attempts. So I had Telus come in and install their package and tested out both systems for a week to see if it was my computer, router, house, or was it Shaw? Called Shaw and told them they were fired. Telus has a free test period, or at least had one.