PDA

View Full Version : Once opened, fridge or no fridge for peanut butter?

TomcoPDR
03-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Do you guys fridge or no fridge after you open peanut butter?

Parents always fridge it once opened. But I find it so freaking hard to spread if you fridge it.

I don't see why you can't just leave it in a dry, cool area on the counter. Seeing they sell 'em unfridged.

spikerS
03-18-2015, 04:53 PM
nope, stayed in the cupboard for me. if it is in the fridge, it is too hard to spread.

speedog
03-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Are you talking about peanuts only peanut butter or the shit that possibly has a bit of real peanuts in it?

schocker
03-18-2015, 04:58 PM
Normal peanut butter in cupboard, weird peanut butter and almond butter etc in fridge.

Tik-Tok
03-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Normal peanut butter in cupboard, weird peanut butter and almond butter etc in fridge.

This. Natural PB falling under the weird category as well.

I've never heard of putting Skippy or Kraft in the fridge, that's just strange.

TomcoPDR
03-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Are you talking about peanuts only peanut butter or the shit that possibly has a bit of real peanuts in it?

True.

Like say "Kraft" peanut butter.

Yeah, I love the real peanuts with oil on top and chunks. (again, if left in fridge it'll just be so hard to spread)

Tik-Tok
03-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

True.

Like say "Kraft" peanut butter.

Yeah, I love the real peanuts with oil on top and chunks. (again, if left in fridge it'll just be so hard to spread)

With genuine PB, you need to store it upside down every other use, so the oil doesn't separate. This makes it easy to spread, even cold.

Xtrema
03-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by schocker

This. Had a jar on my desk at work for months.

ekguy
03-18-2015, 07:07 PM
yeah kraft is cupboard only!! who the hell puts that ish in the fridge.

FixedGear
03-18-2015, 08:24 PM
no fridge, it says on the jar, doesn't it? :dunno:

Thaco
03-18-2015, 08:38 PM
never fridge, it's oil based not dairy based.

firebane
03-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
no fridge, it says on the jar, doesn't it? :dunno:

It actuallyl doesn't. Had this argument last night and I won.

"Kraft" does not need to be refrigerated ever.

raceman6135
03-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Oxygen will make peanut oil go rancid in about a year if stored at room temperature. So, eventually, you will want to put natural peanut butter in the fridge. The good news: rancid peanut butter probably won't even make you sick, let alone kill you. It will smell and/or taste bad, though.

Processed peanut butter has enough preservatives that it doesn't need refrigeration.

FixedGear
03-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by firebane

It actuallyl doesn't. Had this argument last night and I won.

"Kraft" does not need to be refrigerated ever.

fair enough, i'm usually wrong about shit most of the time haha! 'tis the nature of the beast, i 'spose :rofl:

Penguin_Racecar
03-18-2015, 10:07 PM
I put mine in the fridge, but its only ingredients are peanuts and salt. Stir the shit out of it before putting it in the fridge and it doesn't seem to separate. Still easy to spread too.

msommers
03-18-2015, 10:11 PM
I have the organic peanut butter and I never put it in the fridge. Doesn't even say to do so on the label. Only recently have I even been aware that I should be lol.

JRSC00LUDE
03-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Real peanut butter says to refrigerate after opening. If you stir it well enough beforehand it's still easy to spread. I keep it in the door.

ExtraSlow
03-19-2015, 06:54 AM
My wife informs me that anything you buy unrefrigerated can be kept unrefrigerated after opening. Even salad dressings, mayonnaise etc. That being said, we have lots of room in the fridge, so we do refrigerate that stuff.

but peanut butter? No. Always in the pantry.

firebane
03-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
My wife informs me that anything you buy unrefrigerated can be kept unrefrigerated after opening. Even salad dressings, mayonnaise etc. That being said, we have lots of room in the fridge, so we do refrigerate that stuff.

If you leave mayonnaise or miracle whip unrefrigerated :eek: Asking for trouble.

GQBalla
03-19-2015, 07:14 AM
negative, keep mine in the open. I do eat it pretty fast though.

speedog
03-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Much of that stuff is sealed and is somewhat shelf safe for a while. Once the seal is broken though, good practice is to refrigerate it so as to retard the spoilage process.

sputnik
03-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Kraft, Jif and Skippy can stay in the cupboard. There are enough preservatives and stabilizers that it stays fine at room temperature.

We buy Adams (where the only ingredients are peanuts and salt) and we put it in the fridge to keep the oils from going rancid.

schocker
03-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Kraft, Jif and Skippy can stay in the cupboard. There are enough preservatives and stabilizers that it stays fine at room temperature.

We buy Adams (where the only ingredients are peanuts and salt) and we put it in the fridge to keep the oils from going rancid.
Yup. Like half icing sugar in those lol. You can get some crazy separation in the fridge if you don't use it for a while. I had some almond butter I had to mix for like 5mins before I could use it :rofl:

One other thing I learned, is check ingredients on peanut butter. If there is another oil in the ingredient list it means they took out the peanut oil and added a less costly oil to replace it.

flipstah
03-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Natural peanut butter goes in the fridge.
Red/Green Kraft goes in the cupboard.

jwslam
03-19-2015, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Natural peanut butter goes in the fridge.
Red/Green Kraft goes in the cupboard.
My favorite Kraft is definitely white: whipped is so much easier to spread!

speedog
03-19-2015, 09:00 AM
What I have to wonder is why people don't like peanut butter that actually tastes like peanuts? It's like using margarine as opposed to butter or carob chips as opposed to real chocolate chips or no fat yoghurt/milk as opposed to the full fat yoghurt/milk - one just tastes much inferior to the other, no?

schocker
03-19-2015, 09:35 AM
What I have to wonder is why people don't like peanut butter that actually tastes like peanuts? It's like using margarine as opposed to butter or carob chips as opposed to real chocolate chips or no fat yoghurt/milk as opposed to the full fat yoghurt/milk - one just tastes much inferior to the other, no?
Most people are use to it being sweet I think from all the sugar in normal peanut butter. I do like normal almond butter but I find it very tacky at times.

For work though I bought this:
http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/whitechocolatewonderful.html
as a special treat. It is very good.

speedog
03-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Sort of on this topic, do you refrigerate butter (we freeze it but what is out for use is not refrigerated as we go through it quite quickly. Soy sauce - Kikkoman container says to refrigerate but we don't. Mustard, ketchup - we refrigerate even though you probably don't have to. Salad dressings - all in the fridge. Honey, oils, vinegars - all out.

Tik-Tok
03-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Sort of on this topic, do you refrigerate butter (we freeze it but what is out for use is not refrigerated as we go through it quite quickly.

I keep a small container out that has about a weeks worth for morning toast/bagels, most of it stays in the fridge.

As to your other ongoing complaints about "fake" peanut butter. There's way more nuts in it than you think. My wife had to make a disgusting "smoothie" concoction as a labour inducer last month, but we only had chunky, so she seperated the nuts from the PB using heat and a strainer. I was pretty surprised, 2 tablespoons of kraft chunky yielded 1-1/2 table spoons of actual nuts.

TomcoPDR
03-19-2015, 12:55 PM
Butter in fridge, how I was raised. Annoying trying to spread on toast.

sputnik
03-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Butter in fridge, how I was raised. Annoying trying to spread on toast.

Get a butter pot. It will change your life. You can get them at Williams Sonoma. I never have to soften butter in the microwave ever again as the butter stays soft and fresh on the counter.

http://www.emilehenryusa.com/Butter-Dish-and-Pots-cat321.html

eD29ZfOZpMY

Tik-Tok
03-19-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Get a butter pot. It will change your life. You can get them at Williams Sonoma. I never have to soften butter in the microwave ever again as the butter stays soft and fresh on the counter.

http://www.emilehenryusa.com/Butter-Dish-and-Pots-cat321.html

I just use a butter dish, and it stays soft and fresh, no water needed. :dunno:

ExtraSlow
03-20-2015, 08:29 AM
Yeah, regular butter dish, no water, lasts weeks on the counter with no issues.

speedog
03-20-2015, 09:47 AM
So I have to wonder what a $36 butter pot would get me that my current butter dish does not with it's available soft, spreadable butter?

cancer man
03-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Peanut butter is white trash Nutella for the win.

NoPulp
03-22-2015, 09:09 AM
People put normal PB in the fridge? dafuq

+1 nutella ftw