PDA

View Full Version : BMW Washer Fluid Sensitivity?

killramos
03-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Hey guys i was reading through the Audi - rain x thread and i was wondering if anyone knows if BMW's are subject to the same sensitivity to washer fluid that they are?

Usually the dealer just fills it up by its been a sloppy winter and my light came on so i need to go pick up a jug or 2. Everyone seems to recommend Rain-X but i don't want to use it if its going to fuck up the electronics in the reservoir.

Should i just buy the biggest jug of -40 rated shit i can find?

realazy
03-19-2015, 03:12 PM
I use the yellow rain-x washer fluid, have been for the last 3 years on my e90. Haven't had any issues.

It seems like the issues in the states are with the orange rain-x washer fluid. I really have no idea wtf is the difference between the two.

The US rain-x washer fluid comes in cylindrical jugs while the canadian ones all come in the normal rectangularish jugs.

killramos
03-19-2015, 03:16 PM
does your e90 have atuomatic wipers? im not hearing anything concrete online like the audi melting sensors problem which is good. I dont think im going to go as far as exclusively use OEM washer fluid like some people do...

I never bother using a summer fluid either... If my windows are dirty i wash them with a real cleaner lol.

realazy
03-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Ya, I have the rain sensor wipers.

killramos
03-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Cool, sounds pretty safe then :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
03-19-2015, 03:31 PM
It doesn't "melt" anything, what happens is the Audi fluid level sensor is a capacitance type. Rain-X coats the probes, making it sense higher resistance than it would. These just need a good cleaning to fix the problem, but getting the sensor out is a huge PITA on any Audi.

E46..sTyLez
03-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Just use the good old blue shit man, works the best anyway. I tried rain-x once and it had too many streaks on the window at cold temp.

mr2mike
03-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Use the rain-X direct window treatment. Clean window, spray, buff, done... well for 2 weeks or so depending on the snow/road spray.

revelations
03-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Use the rain-X direct window treatment. Clean window, spray, buff, done... well for 2 weeks or so depending on the snow/road spray.

I use Rain X treatment only in the summer. You have to apply it indoors and it only lasts a few weeks with the crap we get in the winter. In the summer it can stick around for months.

blownz
03-19-2015, 04:49 PM
I have had an E46, E90, and F10 and I have never had any issues. I have used Rain-X and some others.

killramos
03-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Well the reservoir is full of rain x yellow now so we will see how it goes. I doubt I even notice the difference.

J.M.
03-19-2015, 05:07 PM
It should be fine

ToXicXxX
03-19-2015, 08:45 PM
I always used RainX or the purple BMW stuff in my cars.

Traffic_Cop
03-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Have you adjusted your headlamp washer??? It sucks the hell out of it.

killramos
03-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Canadian f22's don't have headlight washers lol. So I'm good in that department.

Traffic_Cop
03-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Canadian f22's don't have headlight washers lol. So I'm good in that department.

K. Was just a thought. My car was brutal. During melts i was using a bottle a week.

ToXicXxX
03-19-2015, 10:17 PM
BMW's only cycle headlight washers every 7th spray I believe. And only when theres a need for it.

I noticed my M3 only does it when it's snowing/ very dirty. I'd guess the rain sensor see's a film of crap on the window and goes off that, or maybe based on the bellow 3.5 temps. But maybe it's just me only noticing it then?

Headlight washers without wipers are useless though, they just serve to build up a new layer of crap. I just carry a bottle of glass cleaner and a giant stash of microfibre towels, along with other cleaning supplies (funny story, guy at customs once gave me shit over my unlabelled bottle of Sonax, he actually tried to it "prove" what it was).

Tik-Tok
03-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by ToXicXxX

Headlight washers without wipers are useless though, they just serve to build up a new layer of crap.

They worked awesome on my allroad :dunno: Never had to wipe off the headlights once.

ToXicXxX
03-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

They worked awesome on my allroad :dunno: Never had to wipe off the headlights once.

Lucky! Mine clean it for a second, then dirt/crap sticks to the liquid film and makes it impossible to see.

Aleks
03-20-2015, 07:16 AM
I unplugged the headlight washer pump on my 330.

realazy
03-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ToXicXxX
BMW's only cycle headlight washers every 7th spray I believe. And only when theres a need for it.

It also does it when you hold the spray for a few seconds.

I find that it works okay, but it does use a lot of washer fluid though.

E46..sTyLez
03-20-2015, 01:41 PM
I love the headlight washers...It cleans them really well IMO. I've had it where I can barely see any light output, to lighting up the bumper of the car in front of me. I can't believe it doesn't work for some of you.

Maybe it's the washer fluid lol. Go blue haha

killramos
03-20-2015, 02:33 PM
I loved them on my vw. Great option for sloppy winters. No excuse for not cleanig your ligjts but for a long highway drive it is great.

ToXicXxX
03-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by realazy

It also does it when you hold the spray for a few seconds.

I find that it works okay, but it does use a lot of washer fluid though.

It sometimes happens when I just gently tap it. But only when it's snowing? Weird.