PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here work for Telus - new cable cutomer

ricosuave
03-20-2015, 04:20 PM
I am going to switch from Shaw to Telus - they are ready to run fiber optic in my neighborhood.

I'd like to get a deal and sign up with someone on the inside if possible.

PM me please.

Asian_defender
03-20-2015, 04:47 PM
PM spikerS
He'll get you a referral

snowcat
03-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Don't do it.

Shaw is definitely lesser of two evils.

jeffh
03-21-2015, 07:23 AM
I disagree with snowcat. I saved over $700 switching from shaw over the 3 year term. Service was friendlier and more helpful in-person and over the phone. I own my shaw equipment and rent the telus tv/internet gear fyi

avishal26
03-21-2015, 05:10 PM
I had Telus in my old place under contract, but in my new house now the area does not have Telus service yet.... so I went with Shaw for the time being.

The Telus agent on the phone has been extremely helpful and keeps on top of my account activity to make sure I don't get charged a cancellation fee... I intend to switch back to Telus once they get service in the area. Their customer service is always excellent I find and almost never have to wait on hold when I call.

Service wise I do feel I get better service and attention from Telus. The Shaw installer did an OK job but was not as friendly as I'm used to Telus guys being and the Shaw installer did not terminate the coax cables properly.. he dragged mud into the house too which I was not terribly upset at since it was move-in day anyway.

TV service is the same for both Telus and Shaw I think, and now Telus might be offering Netflix through their box as opposed to going through the Smart TV Apps... Telus also has CraveTV which is good - the only drawback is that the interface for Crave TV is not as good as Shomi by Shaw.

Internet speed is pretty good with Shaw ( I have Internet 30) but it is pricier than Telus for no benefit really.

eblend
03-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Yah, I would disagree with Snowcat. That's old thinking. Telus customer service used to suck a lot, and Shaw was really good...but seems like they switched spots.

I used to be a Shaw customer, then Telus, then Shaw and now again telus for last 5 years, no plans of switching. The few times I had to call telus they were on the ball. My buddy used to work on the infrastructure side at Telus and he said they got some new management and that management made customer service one of their top priorities, and it paid off it seems. I used to hate telus as well (one of the reasons I switched back to Shaw) but really like their fiberoptic internet and optik tv setup so been a happy camper.

NoPulp
03-21-2015, 09:47 PM
I will never do business with Shaw again.
Telus is much much better.

The services Shaw provides aren't great. I had to use them for my dorm, then when I went to cancel my services (moving out) they constantly harassed me with phone calls everyday. Even after I told them the reasoning was that I was moving out and didn't need services to where I was moving.

ZMan2k2
03-23-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm trying to decide if I should switch from Shaw to Telus. Right now, I have a grandfathered plan with Shaw, where I get pretty much every channel, even the new ones, except the pay for services like HBO and the Movie channels, which I wouldn't use anyways. But it's $90/month just for the plan. It's good, because I have a lot of choice, but I'd like to cut my expenses if at all possible. Right now, with phone, internet and cable, I get a $15 Loyalty bonus on my bill, and I'm paying $165/month. I haven't had any major problems with Shaw, never any major downtime, and the quality is good, but if I can save some cash, well, I'm all for that.

I went over to the Telus website, and I'd have to lose a few channels that I get now, but I could pay pretty much the same as I'm paying now, after the first year of the contract, but for the first year, I'd save $80/month.

Right now, I am actually using one of my cable outlets to feed cable to my mother-in-law, on the other side of our duplex. So, I have a stupid question, and it's an easy answer. She's used to things like CBC being channel 6, Global being channel 7, City being 8, etc. Are the channel layouts the same on Telus, or is it different, like CBC being on channel 100 or whatever it is. My wife, also, doesn't want to lose our Shaw email address, as we've had it over 15 years, but I'd try to convince her to change if the changeover would be worth it.

Let me know please, on those channel layouts and savings.

DENZILDON
03-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Can't remember if the channels are the same. But it looks like it all boils down if you are willing to pay $80 a month to keep an email address.

spikerS
03-23-2015, 09:37 AM
no, channel numbers are different. The TELUS channels don't start really until channel 100

ZMan2k2
03-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Okay, thanks SpikerS. I'll start talking, and see if maybe we can save some cash.

pheoxs
03-23-2015, 10:37 AM
I highly suggest you just get a gmail email so you aren't tied to an ISP for something as simple as an email address.

raceman6135
03-23-2015, 10:54 AM
TELUS Optik channel guide for Calgary (PDF format):

telus.com/common/cms/files/tv/pdf/TELUS_TV_channel_guide.pdf

ZMan2k2
03-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
I highly suggest you just get a gmail email so you aren't tied to an ISP for something as simple as an email address.

I've already signed her up for a gmail address, would love for her to use it more often, but she has so much mail everyday coming from family and friends, that would have to make the switch. I don't even use the email anymore, I use my own gmail address on my phone or tablet. I'll talk to her, and see if I can convince her to switch. I can save $70, not $80 for a year, and then, I pay what I pay now.

Another question. I would sign up for the 3 year deal with the free digital boxes. After the 3 years, do I have to pay for rental of the boxes, or is the rental still free? Because that would be a deciding factor as well.

spikerS
03-23-2015, 11:04 AM
rent them anyways, if anything goes wrong, they just get replaced, and you can always get them to upgrade you when the new stuff comes out at no charge. and for the $5 a month / box, it is a no brainer.

but if you decide to switch, let me know, and I will put you into the referral system, and help get you a bill credit.

Tik-Tok
03-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
Can't remember if the channels are the same. But it looks like it all boils down if you are willing to pay $80 a month to keep an email address.

People still use service provider email addresses? :nut:

pheoxs
03-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2

I've already signed her up for a gmail address, would love for her to use it more often, but she has so much mail everyday coming from family and friends, that would have to make the switch. I don't even use the email anymore, I use my own gmail address on my phone or tablet. I'll talk to her, and see if I can convince her to switch. I can save $70, not $80 for a year, and then, I pay what I pay now.

Another question. I would sign up for the 3 year deal with the free digital boxes. After the 3 years, do I have to pay for rental of the boxes, or is the rental still free? Because that would be a deciding factor as well.

You could send out an email to family friends just saying hey I moved to XYZ email please update and use that.

Then for a few months you could set up an automatic reply just saying Sorry this email is no longer active I've moved to XYZ email please resend it to that address.

And leave it like that and check it from time to time. Hopefully after a while everyone would clue in and switch over to the new address.

ShermanEF9
03-23-2015, 12:42 PM
if you have a shaw or telus email address you want to keep, just ask a friend to move it to their account. it costs nothing for anyone to do so.

speedog
03-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
People still use service provider email addresses? :nut:
Heh, our main one has been in use for 18+ years now - a telus.net (formerly telusplanet.net) one and after 18+ years, we get virtually no spam on it. Do have multiple non-service provider ones though. Shit, we've had one of our telephone lines for 30 years now.

ZMan2k2
03-23-2015, 07:09 PM
Sorry SpikerS. I have finished negotiations with Shaw, and came out with the better deal. I switched to Internet 15, but keep 250Gb of download space, even though the most I download is XBOXONE games. Everything else in the house is simple web browsing over wifi, so the speed difference means nothing to us. I dropped a bunch of channels we never watched, and the phone service remains the same. I went from $165/month with the loyalty discount to $115/month with a 2 year loyalty discount and one free VOD movie per month for 2 years. I figure I'll save more in 3 years than I would have with Telus over 3 years, which would have been $90/month for the first year, and $161/month for the other two.

eblend
03-23-2015, 09:04 PM

I know you already decided, but for those who are wondering, after 3 years those boxes become free rentals, so if you get them on a 3 year contract, you get to keep them after the 3 years as a loyalty thing.

spikerS
03-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Sorry SpikerS. I have finished negotiations with Shaw, and came out with the better deal. I switched to Internet 15, but keep 250Gb of download space, even though the most I download is XBOXONE games. Everything else in the house is simple web browsing over wifi, so the speed difference means nothing to us. I dropped a bunch of channels we never watched, and the phone service remains the same. I went from $165/month with the loyalty discount to $115/month with a 2 year loyalty discount and one free VOD movie per month for 2 years. I figure I'll save more in 3 years than I would have with Telus over 3 years, which would have been $90/month for the first year, and $161/month for the other two.

hey man, it's nothing to apologize for. You made a decision that you feel suits you and your situation best. Why would I be mad?

I hope it works out for you, if in the future you decide to switch, let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

silvia_s13
03-23-2015, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave
I am going to switch from Shaw to Telus - they are ready to run fiber optic in my neighborhood.

I'd like to get a deal and sign up with someone on the inside if possible.

PM me please.

You have fibre to your home? Which neighborhood?

ZMan2k2
03-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

hey man, it's nothing to apologize for. You made a decision that you feel suits you and your situation best. Why would I be mad?

I hope it works out for you, if in the future you decide to switch, let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

It was tough negotiating with Shaw, they didn't want to give anything up. But I had the Telus site open, had my package picked, and was telling her, "All I have to do is click the button." They gave me quite a bit, and I'm happy with the savings, and the wife gets to keep her email address. I only lost one channel that I watched occasionally, SpikeTV. Used to watch the Powerblock on there, but thought about it, and haven't watched it in a few months, so I'm not disappointed. We'll see how it works out after Shaw starts raising prices, like they usually do, so I may yet be calling on you.:D

Dumbass17
03-24-2015, 01:40 PM
jesus, doesn't telus have any plans where they don't require a 3 year contract?
wow

Jerms
03-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Telus guy just solicited in my area (Mt. Pleasant) and explained they just installed fibre optic in the area, so I'm in the same situation.

I've been a shaw customer for quite a while now... no real perks but nothing to really complain about... I believe I'm paying $135/ month for internet and cable, HBO, Movie Channel etc..

Can someone tell me how much I could save by switching to Telus for the same plan?

eblend
03-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
wow

Yes they do, all of them. 3 year contract is if you want something special like free stb or whatever, if you don't want any commitments then just do month to month. wow.

spikerS
03-24-2015, 02:08 PM
wow

None of them require a contract. But if you want the free boxes, or other "gift" like the TV or laptop or whatever the flavor is at that particular time, they do require a service term.

If you want to sign up month to month, there is nothing stopping you.

spikerS
03-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Jerms
Telus guy just solicited in my area (Mt. Pleasant) and explained they just installed fibre optic in the area, so I'm in the same situation.

I've been a shaw customer for quite a while now... no real perks but nothing to really complain about... I believe I'm paying $135/ month for internet and cable, HBO, Movie Channel etc..

Can someone tell me how much I could save by switching to Telus for the same plan?

I don't want to sound rude, but no one on here knows what kind of package you have with shaw.

If you want to find out, get your shaw bill, and compare it to what is on the TELUS website and find out if you would save or not.

that question is pretty rediculars.

speedog
03-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Surprise to me, apparently you can get no term plans at TELUS - just peeked at their web site and saw such. No term plan, basic Optik TV plan (Essentials), 50mbps internet, basic telephone, no long distance plan for $80 per month for first 6 months and $132 after that for new customers - not sure if this is a good deal or not. One can compare just by going to TELUS' web site and playing around with things.

chathamf
03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm currently with Telus for tv and internet. Had a six month new customer deal, but now it's shot up to like 180 a month.

Likely just going to get rid of television altogether, and buy the streaming sports packages. Live sports is all I watch on tv, just download everything else.

I've been happy with Telus internet, but I believe recently they put a cap on the downloading. Since I'll be streaming all of my sports, and downloading tv shows/movies does anyone recommend a certain provider for doing this?

I want high quality streaming, and not to get hit with extra charges for downloading a ton of crap.

Also, does anyone buy NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc and stream the sports? Wondering how high of quality it is, and if you can actually watch in HD.

I can't not have HD sports in my life.

eblend
03-24-2015, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
I'm currently with Telus for tv and internet. Had a six month new customer deal, but now it's shot up to like 180 a month.

Likely just going to get rid of television altogether, and buy the streaming sports packages. Live sports is all I watch on tv, just download everything else.

I've been happy with Telus internet, but I believe recently they put a cap on the downloading. Since I'll be streaming all of my sports, and downloading tv shows/movies does anyone recommend a certain provider for doing this?

I want high quality streaming, and not to get hit with extra charges for downloading a ton of crap.

Also, does anyone buy NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc and stream the sports? Wondering how high of quality it is, and if you can actually watch in HD.

I can't not have HD sports in my life.

I don't understand how people have these massive bills. You say you only watch sports....so why are you paying for everything else?

I pay $140 per month for 50mbps internet + Optik TV with 3 HD packages, phone through VOIP.MS

Basic TV is $29 + $9 sports pack..and you have most of your sports for $38. If you truly don't need anything else, then you got all your local news and channels and all your sports. This is after any promo prices too...so regular price.

It's an extra $15 to make your internet unlimited with Telus......so pick the speed, pay $15 and download all you want. I don't know why people are so bent out of shape about this. I swear sometimes reading some posts on beyond is like watching the news, exaggerate everything.

I consider myself a high bandwidth user on 50mbps plan...I get about 320gb per month with wife on Netflix/Youtube 24/7 and me downloading anything of interest in HD.

Telus internet at 25mbps is $63 bucks, $78 if you want it to be unlimited...50mbps for $93 for unlimited..

So HD SPORTS + all local channels + unlimited internet for $116 + tax...additional HD packs are $9 if you need to add more.

So perhaps you can get just internet somewhere and sign up for individual streaming packages, but why add all that complexity, I for one much rather pay for something that simply works then to fuck around with things.

Dumbass17
03-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

None of them require a contract. But if you want the free boxes, or other "gift" like the TV or laptop or whatever the flavor is at that particular time, they do require a service term.

If you want to sign up month to month, there is nothing stopping you.
I signed up with Shaw for two main reason
1) Shaw wifi free around the city

2) Telus's website is horrible and wouldn't recognize or even let me edit my address

eblend
03-25-2015, 08:19 PM

I signed up with Shaw for two main reason
1) Shaw wifi free around the city

2) Telus's website is horrible and wouldn't recognize or even let me edit my address

Telus has free wifi in places now too, isn't as widespread as shaw yet. Don't use Wifi personally so it's useless to me really, got sufficient data plan on LTE, probably faster then shaw anyways. Had shaw open for a while as my buddy added my phone to his shaw account, didn't work very well for me in places I frequented.

As for the website, not sure where you were looking, their account site is pretty good I find. I heard the address search for availability can be flaky

imhungry
03-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Telus is offering 6 months free Netflix (if you don't have a subscription already) with 3 yr contract that can be combined with the free gift deal. Also if you are doing 50mbps you get a free Wifi extender installed too. I work for Telus Retail. Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions. Also I'd be happy to look into Optik availability for those that can't find it on the website.

Originally posted by eblend

Telus has free wifi in places now too, isn't as widespread as shaw yet. Don't use Wifi personally so it's useless to me really, got sufficient data plan on LTE, probably faster then shaw anyways. Had shaw open for a while as my buddy added my phone to his shaw account, didn't work very well for me in places I frequented.

yea, #TELUS, you can log in with any email actually. You don't have to be a Telus customer. If you have a Telus sim in your phone/tablet, it auto connects to #TELUSDIRECT if your wifi is on.

Yuubah
03-27-2015, 09:58 AM
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-home-services-bundles-great-promo-offers-plus-up-150-bill-credit-1443852/

great breakdown of the current promos with telus right now. i'm thinking of just getting internet only, does anyone get anything if they refer me? If you do, pm me and I'll use you as a referral.

killramos
04-08-2015, 06:56 PM
My latest gripe , this time with telus, aparently they are now in the habit of sending door to door pushy salesmen who want to argue with me about whether or not I inderstand their service and saying me not switching to them is ignorant.

Fuck I hate those kinds of sales tactics.

colt22
06-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Any one know how to get on any a good deal / promo with telus for a newly built home? Just shopping around right now and not sure if first time home buyers are eligible for any kind of incentives.