PDA

View Full Version : Passing a salvage inspection with body damage? Where to get inspected

nobb
03-21-2015, 10:42 PM
My parents' van was damaged enough such that it was a write off. They took the offer of being able to keep the van and being paid out the salvage value. My question is regarding passing the salvage inspection to be able to re-register and drive it.

The only damage is the front and rear bumpers were damaged from being rear ended. There is absolutely no frame damage and the vehicle drives straight. The rear bumper will require a complete replacement, whereas the front bumper is cracked up, but still 95% intact. Would this pose a problem for the inspection? I'd rather just replace the rear bumper from a junkyard if possible.

Mechanically, I know the van is 100% perfect, as I have personally maintained the vehicle since it was new and know it inside out. I'm a stickler for doing things properly.

Any tips on what else to watch out for or check beforehand? I am assuming I will need to tow the vehicle to the shop to have it done. Lastly, does anyone have recommendations for places that are cheap for performing a salvage inspection (and maybe lenient too :) )?

corsvette
03-21-2015, 11:34 PM
Make sure it looks half decent. has good tires/brakes/glass...etc.

On an older vehicle that is staying in the owners possession they won't get too fussy about it not looking perfect. They will also need to do a wheel alignment, this will surely turn up any steering or suspension components that are worn out.

I would just drive it to the inspection, not sure how legal that is but I assume it registered and insured. You can also get a 10 day permit to drive it to and from the inspection shop if you want to go that route.

guessboi
03-21-2015, 11:48 PM
^ It is not legal to drive the vehicle while it is branded as salvage.
Either fix it at a shop who can also do the inspection or tow it there.