PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Status risks?

BMDUBS
03-22-2015, 12:20 PM
To all who may know, what risks is there in buying a newer (2011) BMW M3 with a rebuilt status?

Say I buy the car, what will the insurance company say about its insurance value? What happens in an accident and in a case of another massive accident?

Also what is the typical reduced value of a total loss rebuilt titled vehicle??

euro_racer
03-22-2015, 01:46 PM
No risks at all

Just make sure it was fixed right and know it might be a bit harder to sell down the road, but it will sell for the right price.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2015, 01:55 PM
You'll need to ask your insurance company, but as far as I know, some companies won't insure rebuilt cars with collision.
I think I see the car on kijiji that you are looking at. If so, it's listed at $38,500, and the comparable cars are listed at between $60 and $75k.

You want to see some very solid documentation on WHO did the rebuild. If it's not a company that specializes in BMW, I wouldn't touch it.

The whole point of getting an M3 over the regular 3 series is that it's special. If some joe-blow NE shady fuck rebuilt it, it's probably been done with the cheapest parts he can find, which likely means that suspension is back to "normal" 3-series parts, or worse. an get into 2011 3-series for $20k, so not much point paying nearly double for a car with a dubious history.

Shit, for $38k, you can get yourself into a very lightly used 2013 or even 2014 3-series, and end up with a much better car, with warranty.

My vote: Don't do it.

Kloubek
03-22-2015, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't say there are "no" risks at all. Everything has to be inspected so assuming that went as planned it should at least be roadworthy. However, there is nothing to say a repair is going to hold up as well as if it wasn't damaged in the first place. Perhaps inferior parts (but still in spec) were used. Perhaps something wasn't sealed whereby from the factory it was... those sorts of things. An inspection doesn't ensure it is up to original spec; it just makes sure the car works and is safe to drive.

Reduced value? I'm not sure but I'd say 20-25% less sounds about right.

ToXicXxX
03-22-2015, 02:10 PM
The one you're talking about is a black sedan owned by a guy named Victor right?

Yeah... I'd avoid that one. If you want to know why PM me.

J.M.
03-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You'll need to ask your insurance company, but as far as I know, some companies won't insure rebuilt cars with collision.
I think I see the car on kijiji that you are looking at. If so, it's listed at $38,500, and the comparable cars are listed at between $60 and $75k.

You want to see some very solid documentation on WHO did the rebuild. If it's not a company that specializes in BMW, I wouldn't touch it.

The whole point of getting an M3 over the regular 3 series is that it's special. If some joe-blow NE shady fuck rebuilt it, it's probably been done with the cheapest parts he can find, which likely means that suspension is back to "normal" 3-series parts, or worse. an get into 2011 3-series for $20k, so not much point paying nearly double for a car with a dubious history.

Shit, for $38k, you can get yourself into a very lightly used 2013 or even 2014 3-series, and end up with a much better car, with warranty.

My vote: Don't do it.

:werd: I wouldn't buy that M3.

J.M.
03-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by ToXicXxX
The one you're talking about is a black sedan owned by a guy named Victor right?

Yeah... I'd avoid that one. If you want to know why PM me.

Why

ToXicXxX
03-22-2015, 02:16 PM
I just know how it was put back together and what kind of corners were cut. He had a white coupe as well that he brought to us, asking for all sorts of shady shit to be done (basically wanted a bunch of codes/errors permanently hidden, no doubt from a shoddy rebuild). Needless to say we turned him away.

redblack
03-22-2015, 02:23 PM
I just know how it was put back together and what kind of corners were cut. He had a white coupe as well that he brought to us, asking for all sorts of shady shit to be done (basically wanted a bunch of codes/errors permanently hidden, no doubt from a shoddy rebuild). Needless to say we turned him away.

Sounds like a typical kijiji curber

ToXicXxX
03-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by redblack

Sounds like a typical kijiji curber

Gotta love that internet.

NoPulp
03-22-2015, 02:31 PM
Talk to your insurance company.

Do some research on the car, make sure it was done correctly.

Typically rebuild cars are fine since passing them is very difficult (unless you pay someone off and do it in a shady way). Keep the value in mind... they're harder to sell and worth less. They can be a good way to get a decent vehicle for cheap.

ToXicXxX
03-22-2015, 02:34 PM
If it's the one I described you need to run. Very far away.

J.M.
03-22-2015, 03:09 PM

That's some shady shit :thumbsdow

Would a car like this still be under factory warranty if it has a rebuilt title? (assuming 4yr/80km)

relyt92
03-22-2015, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by J.M.

That's some shady shit :thumbsdow

Would a car like this still be under factory warranty if it has a rebuilt title? (assuming 4yr/80km) Generally a rebuild will have 0 warranty from the manufacturer.

Darell_n
03-22-2015, 04:12 PM
And also subject to any recalls, safety or not.

AE92_TreunoSC
03-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Yup, every rebuilt I've seen is disqualified for recalls or warranty. I'd only consider a car like that with a form of warranty, even if there is a deductible involved. Repairs can escalate fast.

BDenali
03-22-2015, 04:41 PM
I would have to say its a risky buy. If you plan on keeping it long term that will be when issues start popping up if any do. Not to mention if or when you go to sell it people are gonna be very concerned like you are, you will have to drop the price dramatically.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-22-2015, 05:21 PM
Legally I think they have to be subject to recalls still but nothing else.

ShermanEF9
03-22-2015, 07:28 PM
It would also depend on why it was written off to begin with. As an example, my civic is a theft recovery from the states and was rebuilt because of the 50 states, 3 of them are auto writeoffs when stolen. Just do your research.

BMDUBS
03-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Yup it's the black one. I think this car is worth $30k or less. The price is not good enough for the risk and loss of value. Nevermind how it was put back together.

khanan
03-23-2015, 01:03 AM
depends on how it was put back together and by who. if it was done theough a reputable shop then it might be worth a try to find out more.

but if has tried to do shit like erasing codes and faults without fixing everything then I assume he might have cut a few corners here and there.

previously stated, but there is no warranty for rebuilt vehicles.

insurance doesnt depend on whether its rebuilt or active. but its worth checking twice.

also ask for him to provide you with pictures of the car when it was damaged.

if youre getting it for considerably lower than the market then it might be worth it. generally the rule is that they lose anywhere from 25 to 50 percent of their value once they are branded rebuilt.

all upto you and how much of a risk you wanna take. if its hard enough to sell the car for him at this price then imagine trying to sell it in the future. with such a history.

best of luck

toastgremlin
03-23-2015, 08:21 AM
When I bought a rebuilt car and found stuff that was wrong (bent suspension, broken mounts, coerced body panels, etc.) I brought it up with Alberta Transportation to see if I could get a copy of what was actually fixed on the car.

After a series of emails and phone calls it was revealed that they usually let the shops who are doing the rebuild also handle the inspection. Alberta Transportation keeps no records of the rebuild or the inspection.

The AB transpo manager I was speaking to later contacted me via phone (rather than email like the rest of our conversations had been) and told me what the name of the shop was, and spent several minutes prefacing the private reveal of that name with attempting to discharge himself from any liability by telling me.

While it might just be my bias, it definitely felt like he was afraid of a slander suit resulting from referring the victims of a shop back to the original shop. Didn't really matter since the shop went tits up a few weeks later.

Because the inspection is trumped up by the province to be so rigorous I assumed that a rebuilt title was actually hard to get - in my experience it appears not. I ended up selling the car on at a pretty substantial loss even after fixing the things that were wrong with it.

I would not do it again, except for a car that's maybe sub-$2000, and even then I would be running it into the ground instead of getting attached to it. I have an exceptionally low risk tolerance, though.

Get as much information as you can about the rebuild - sounds like this guy is a shitbag though.

mr2mike
03-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Buy it.
Budget Baller. Can't say no to a cheap M3 in this market. :devil:

ExtraSlow
03-23-2015, 08:47 AM
There are definitely some shady shops doing rebuilt inspections. I was looking at a rebuilt Honda Fit a couple of years ago, the guy was blabbering on and on about how great the inspection was, and how the shop was giving a free 1 year warranty.
I asked what the name and address of the shop were, and then asked if we could swing by on my test drive. He got super defensive, and admitted it was his cousin, who worked out of his garage.
The conversation got somewhat abusive at that point, lol. I didn't buy that car.

SkiBum5.0
03-23-2015, 10:50 AM
That car has been for sale for over a year and it's been priced that low the whole time. I doubt you will ever get a straight story on that car. Better off buying an older one without the story