PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a Hyundai Veloster?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mar
03-22-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm currently between a Hyundai Veloster and a Honda Civic Si and it's hard to choose. The Civic is $2000 more, plus 1% interest which makes it $40 more per month. I find the Veloster more fun to drive and more practical with the hatch and all the sports I play.

I am fully aware of resale value and not too concerned about the difference. I realize Korean cars were crap 5-10 years ago but it seems like they've come a long way, does anyone here know if a Veloster is a bad car to own?

CanmoreOrLess
03-22-2015, 12:44 PM
The Veloster looks to be the winner, hatch, two grand less off the top and another $480 saved on interest per year. Are you saving $3,500 by the time it is paid off? I think so on a three year loan. You like the Veloster, no reason to not go with the Hyundai. Modern K cars are the equal of the J cars and $3,500 bucks is a lot considering the fact you need to earn around $6,000 at your job to pay the $3,500.

A790
03-22-2015, 01:05 PM
I'd buy the Veloster over the Civic :)

Sugarphreak
03-22-2015, 01:07 PM

Tik-Tok
03-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
No.

It has nothing to do with reliability or brand either. On paper it looks good, but the driving dynamics are garbage and uninspired

Not sure if talking about Veloster... or Civic... :rofl:

Mibz
03-22-2015, 01:21 PM
"Uninspired"? Are you for real?

NoPulp
03-22-2015, 01:22 PM
No, I wouldn't buy a Veloster. I think they're horrible ugly, but that's my opinion which doesn't matter. I'm assuming non turbo'd? I havent heard great things about them, even had a friend who bought one and loved it at first... now drives a new mazda 3. I know the korean cars I've been in had the worst interior I've ever seen and sat in. The veloster looks better, but I guess you'll have to decide if the quality is half decent.

A civic is a civic. Good car, kinda meh. I feel there are better cars in the class.

Khyron
03-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Add a Kia Forte 5 to the mix. Same as an Elantra pretty much.

The molestor is a strange beast and the 3 doors is just stupid if you actually need to use them. Even the turbo is not as fast as it should be.

Personally I'd stretch more and get a new GTI but whatever floats the boat.

A790
03-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Mazda 3?

bowlofrice
03-22-2015, 01:37 PM
turbo veloster with a tune is faster than the first gen genesis' lol

InRich
03-22-2015, 01:43 PM
That new civic SI is gorigious, I would get the civic for sure, its not even close.

relyt92
03-22-2015, 01:49 PM
I'd take the SI over the Veloster without a doubt.

msommers
03-22-2015, 02:12 PM
What about the new Mazda 3's? What you get is pretty impressive for the price.

eglove
03-22-2015, 02:18 PM
Fiesta or focus st :p

redblack
03-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Civic SI out of the two but i would buy a fiesta ST over the SI

Mar
03-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
No, I wouldn't buy a Veloster. I think they're horrible ugly, but that's my opinion which doesn't matter. I'm assuming non turbo'd? I havent heard great things about them, even had a friend who bought one and loved it at first... now drives a new mazda 3. I know the korean cars I've been in had the worst interior I've ever seen and sat in. The veloster looks better, but I guess you'll have to decide if the quality is half decent.

A civic is a civic. Good car, kinda meh. I feel there are better cars in the class.
Fully loaded top turbo model.

Originally posted by Khyron
Add a Kia Forte 5 to the mix. Same as an Elantra pretty much.

The molestor is a strange beast and the 3 doors is just stupid if you actually need to use them. Even the turbo is not as fast as it should be.

Personally I'd stretch more and get a new GTI but whatever floats the boat.
The Veloster on paper is better than the GTI in every way.

Originally posted by A790
Mazda 3?
I've already spent a lot of time narrowing the list, no sedans allowed.

relyt92
03-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Mar

The Veloster is great on paper. Feels very lacking in execution though. Have you driven one yet?

Disoblige
03-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Then it's settled! Buy a Veloster and bench race with paper numbers instead of real life.

jsn
03-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by eglove
Fiesta or focus st :p

This! If a more expensive civic Si is in contention, I'd strongly consider the Focus ST. I'd take a Focus ST over either of them. Focus ST has been getting rave reviews, looks amazing, and is useful (hatchback) to boot. The hyundai is a hatchback too but I just can't get over how terrible the car looks.

J.M.
03-22-2015, 03:07 PM
I'm not a Ford type of guy at all but the Fiesta and Focus ST have caught my eye a couple times..

Sugarphreak
03-22-2015, 03:09 PM

Tik-Tok
03-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Mar

A lot of products in life are better on paper than they actually are.

Also the Mazda 3 comes in a hatch.

corsvette
03-22-2015, 03:50 PM
I recall reading the Veloster is going to be discontinued due to lackluster sales.

I'd go Civic, Golf, Fiesta, Mazda 3. You know that Hyundai will be worth nothing in a few years.

Here's one article, seems it been discontinued in other markets already.
http://thenewswheel.com/hyundai-veloster-being-discontinued-us/

FixedGear
03-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Funny to see everyone recommending different cars even though you've already narrowed it down to your 2 choices... Keep beyonding, beyond. (Gotta admit I agree with some of the suggestions, particularly mazda 3 haha).

But out of the two you posted, I'd take the Hyundai. Honda civics are overpriced, ugly POSs.

pheoxs
03-22-2015, 04:10 PM
I didn't mind the veloster but it seemed kind of like a quirky car. The 3 door thing is just weird, I also found for daily driving it had poor rear visibility and blind spots. The driving for my wasn't very fun either but I mostly attribute that to getting stuck test driving an automatic as they didn't have any manuals in.

I was looking in a similar segment of cars and decided on the Fiesta ST over the veloster and while it may not be for you, I would suggest to at least take a look at it, as it falls into the same spec and price category as what you are shopping.

Redlyne_mr2
03-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Fully loaded top turbo model.

The Veloster is a horrible car, regardless of what's on paper. There is a reason they don't sell or win any car awards. Save your money.

nzwasp
03-22-2015, 04:51 PM
I bought a 2014 Kia Forte 5 SX (turbo model) last year, and im pretty happy with it, would of preferred if they had made a stick version of the turbo instead of the auto.

Mar
03-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
The Veloster is great on paper. Feels very lacking in execution though. Have you driven one yet?
I did, it was incredible. It was definitely comparable and maybe even better than the Scion FRS. It has 4 fewer horsepower than the Civic Si but it hits peak horsepower at 6000 RPM as opposed to 7000 in the Civic. It also has a 1.6 litre engine as opposed to the Civic's 2.4 litre.

The main purpose of my post was to get opinions on the car and find someone to give me a great reason not to buy it. So far, besides resale I haven't seen anything too convincing, I think the car looks fantastic!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/2013_Hyundai_Veloster_Turbo_--_2012_DC.JPG

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/01/01-hyundai-veloster-live.jpg

relyt92
03-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I did, it was incredible. It was definitely comparable and maybe even better than the Scion FRS. It has 4 fewer horsepower than the Civic Si but it hits peak horsepower at 6000 RPM as opposed to 7000 in the Civic. It also has a 1.6 litre engine as opposed to the Civic's 2.4 litre.

The main purpose of my post was to get opinions on the car and find someone to give me a great reason not to buy it. So far, besides resale I haven't seen anything too convincing, I think the car looks fantastic!

If you really enjoy it then and it fits everything you want for a price you want then definitely grab one. I find it to be great on paper but the overall package feels lacking for me. Different strokes for different folks of course.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2015, 05:15 PM
I'd be doing everything I could to get a GTI in that segment. Not sure where pricing starts but it is a no-brainer in the value department compared to something like a Civic SI, IMHO. Mazda 3's are a rip off from what I can tell, and I hate their Skyactive BS.

That said, sounds like you made this thread to talk yourself into a Velostar. If you like it, buy it, yours is the only opinion that matters for this decision.

Mar
03-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'd be doing everything I could to get a GTI in that segment. Not sure where pricing starts but it is a no-brainer in the value department compared to something like a Civic SI, IMHO. Mazda 3's are a rip off from what I can tell, and I hate their Skyactive BS.

That said, sounds like you made this thread to talk yourself into a Velostar. If you like it, buy it, yours is the only opinion that matters for this decision.

More to talk myself out of it, I realized I was just arguing with people in my last post. I'm still completely open to any reasons not to buy it but it feels like I'm fairly decided.

FixedGear
03-22-2015, 05:32 PM
^the reason to not get the Hyundai is that there are far better options. :dunno:

xnvy
03-22-2015, 05:50 PM
If you like the Veloster, I'd recommend at least a test drive in the Mazda 3 hatch and Fiesta ST. If you really enjoyed the Veloster then I'm sure you would love these two cars as in personal experience and reviews, they just feel so much more exhilarating. I'm pretty sure the FiST is cheaper than a GTI which makes it a no brainer. The only advantage I think the GTI has is the interior feels nicer due to better materials. The seats in the ST are more comfy though. Recaros :drool:

relyt92
03-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Mar

More to talk myself out of it, I realized I was just arguing with people in my last post. I'm still completely open to any reasons not to buy it but it feels like I'm fairly decided. Running some numbers assuming 6 speed since that's all the SI comes in. Going off manufacturer websites
Veloster: $26,563.84
Forte 5 SX: $25,802.25
Civic SI: $28,486.25
Fiesta ST: $27,945
Personally I'd say the Kia is a better overall car, same performance more space and probably easier to resell down the line. The fiesta would be the most fun of the 4, although will have less features than it's Korean counterparts. Considering the Forte is $700 less than the Veloster and probably a better car though, definitely should be worth a look.

rob the knob
03-22-2015, 07:13 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/v8sItBzFuic/maxresdefault.jpg

mazda looks like 2005,

Khyron
03-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mar

More to talk myself out of it, I realized I was just arguing with people in my last post. I'm still completely open to any reasons not to buy it but it feels like I'm fairly decided.

You are buying automatic? Keep in mind there really are no terrible cars like there were in the 80s so if you like it, that's a win. You even have an advantage since you like a relatively unpopular car. But you'd be hard pressed to find a review where the Veloster beat any GTI, Mazda 3, etc. But a lot of that is splitting hairs.

You should still try the Forte 5, Fiesta ST and GTI just because you can. Fiesta ST is one of those cars that is better than it appears on a spreadsheet. I personally still wouldn't trade my FRS for anything on the market under 40K and yet it's pretty meh on paper.

FixedGear
03-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Rob, imo the Mazda exterior looks way better than the Hyundai. Plus the Hyundai interior is horrible, reminds me of a shitbox matrix or minivan with the center console all smoothed up into the dash.

xnvy
03-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Just so everyone knows, that picture is the last gen Mazdaspeed3. The current Mazda3 looks a lot better IMO but no Mazdaspeed version is out yet.

EDIT: If you get an automatic stay away from Ford.

Here's the current Mazda3.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/adam/18bcc703e3a098d5a2b4da7106c8e9e8/2014-mazda3-review.jpg

corsvette
03-22-2015, 08:01 PM
The new gen Mazda 3 is a great looking car. Hyundai designs do not age well imo, especially oddball looking cars like the veloster.

NoPulp
03-22-2015, 08:14 PM
First gen mazda 3 is by far still the best.
However, the third gen is a good recovery overly the stupid smiley face second gen...

FixedGear
03-22-2015, 08:24 PM
^^couldn't agree more, the 2nd gen was horrible. i do really like the new gen though, but can't tell if i like it more or less than 1st gen (1st gen, while cool, starting to look dated now)

relyt92
03-22-2015, 08:32 PM
As goofy as the 2nd gen looked I love it. Just looks so happy.

Mar
03-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Running some numbers assuming 6 speed since that's all the SI comes in. Going off manufacturer websites
Veloster: $26,563.84
Forte 5 SX: $25,802.25
Civic SI: $28,486.25
Fiesta ST: $27,945
Personally I'd say the Kia is a better overall car, same performance more space and probably easier to resell down the line. The fiesta would be the most fun of the 4, although will have less features than it's Korean counterparts. Considering the Forte is $700 less than the Veloster and probably a better car though, definitely should be worth a look.
The Forte was on my original list:
- Civic Si
- Civic CXZ
- Hyundai Veloster
- Kia Forte
- Mazda Miata
- Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ
- Scion tC

I went to Kia off Barlow Trail and they didn't have one for me to test.
I ended up taking it off the list after trying the Veloster because it just didn't compare inside and I didn't think driving it would change my mind. If I were to consider it I would also have to try the Hyundai Elantra, basically the same car. Hyundai bought Kia a number of years ago.

Originally posted by Khyron

You are buying automatic? Keep in mind there really are no terrible cars like there were in the 80s so if you like it, that's a win. You even have an advantage since you like a relatively unpopular car. But you'd be hard pressed to find a review where the Veloster beat any GTI, Mazda 3, etc. But a lot of that is splitting hairs.

You should still try the Forte 5, Fiesta ST and GTI just because you can. Fiesta ST is one of those cars that is better than it appears on a spreadsheet. I personally still wouldn't trade my FRS for anything on the market under 40K and yet it's pretty meh on paper.
I'm not buying an automatic, I can't imagine I'd ever buy one. The main reason I won't buy a GTi, 3, Focus or Fiesta is because of the 4 doors, my list is coupe only. I actually didn't know the Veloster was a 3 door until I was on the test drive and pushed the third window button to figure out what it was for.

rage2
03-22-2015, 08:54 PM
I really liked the Veloster, until I drove it. For a 200hp turbo car, it felt like it was missing around 50hp. Handling was pretty average too. Great looking car, but like everyone says, terrible execution.

For shits and giggles I drove the base version too, and that thing felt like it had 70hp. Bizarre.

danno
03-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Gti can be had 2 door or 4 door. It would be at the top of my list followed by the civic.

rizfarmer
03-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by danno
Gti can be had 2 door or 4 door. It would be at the top of my list followed by the civic.

Especially at <$28k for a base 2-dr 6sp

carson blocks
03-22-2015, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Mar
I did, it was incredible.

If you're calling a Veloster "incredible", you might need to try some better cars (ie. anything else) and raise your standards. The only way I could see calling it anything above "passable" is if your previous car and only point of reference was a 80's Lada previously owned by a meth addict. To me, everything looks cheap, feels cheap, and the driving experience is only marginally more enjoyable than taking a NE bus during rush hour on the hottest day of the year. It's like a Korean knockoff of a Chinese knockoff of an Eastern Bloc car designed by a special needs intern who has never driven and is being paid in lollipops.

As a bonus, if you choose the Honda, you'll actually be able to resell it someday to someone other than The Kidney Foundation for more than a $20 tax receipt. It's not all negative though. One big plus to the Veloster is that it's made with mostly recyclable materials, so if you're unable to sell it you can get rid of it by sneaking pieces in to your blue bin weekly and hoping the recycling guy doesn't get wise to the fact you're trying to unload a Hyundai on him. Another plus is that it's unlikely to get stolen by thieves, at least not male car theives, car thieves with self esteem, thieves who have driven one before, or who have ever read any car reviews. A third plus is that the money you're saving over the Civic is enough to buy limo tint so people can't see you driving, as well as a few extra pairs of shoes for walking to work when you park a few blocks away to avoid ridicule from that guy who sweeps the parking lot, but at least stepped up to buy the Civic. No one wants to go in to work on Monday and have to pathetically mumble "I bought a Hyundai" when asked how their weekend car shopping went.

You probably can't tell from my completely fair and objective opinion above, but I may have a very slightly biased viewpoint on Hyundais. In fact at the recent auto show, I was cutting through the Hyundai booth and was asked by a cheery saleslady "Would you like to win a FREE Hyundai?", and stunned her by looking her dead in the eyes and politely but somberly responding "No thank you, I really wouldn't".

spikerS
03-22-2015, 09:24 PM
I love the look of the Veloster, I even sat in one at the show last year, and thought it felt comfortable, even a bit sporty. For a big guy, I fit in it pretty well too.

Baygirl hates it though, hence why I have not driven it yet, but it sounds like a great car.

Get in in a manual, long shift to keep the revs high and that turbo spinning, and it SHOULD be a pretty quick car. But again, I haven't thrown one into any corners, so while it SHOULD be fun, a lot of people here say otherwise.

Who knows, maybe with a few after market parts and increase the boost pressure, it may turn into a whole new beast.

Khyron
03-22-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm a big Hyundai fan - owned last Santa Fe, impressed by Sonata and recommended Elantras to two couples who bought them and Tuscon for another. New Santa Fe would be up high for the Outlander replacement. I just think the Veloster is the bottom of the pile (but still an acceptable pile). Especially if you're not getting some crazy deal like 5K rebate or something.

And if manual, not sure I'd go Hyundai without testing the actual unit - the GC manual was like a stick in a bag of marbles.

got_mike33
03-23-2015, 09:43 AM
I own a current gen Mazda 3 hatchback with a 6-speed manual. If you are looking for something that is turbo'd the 3 won't even compare. I used to own an A3 and I find the Mazda dreadfully boring to drive compared to that.

For fit and finish it is great, the interior has come a long way and the infotainment system (although sometimes buggy) is pretty useful.

Based on your initial list of vehicles I think you would be pretty bored with the car, I know I am.

88CRX
03-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks

If you're calling a Veloster &quot;incredible&quot;, you might need to try some better cars (ie. anything else) and raise your standards. The only way I could see calling it anything above &quot;passable&quot; is if your previous car and only point of reference was a 80's Lada previously owned by a meth addict. To me, everything looks cheap, feels cheap, and the driving experience is only marginally more enjoyable than taking a NE bus during rush hour on the hottest day of the year. It's like a Korean knockoff of a Chinese knockoff of an Eastern Bloc car designed by a special needs intern who has never driven and is being paid in lollipops.

As a bonus, if you choose the Honda, you'll actually be able to resell it someday to someone other than The Kidney Foundation for more than a $20 tax receipt. It's not all negative though. One big plus to the Veloster is that it's made with mostly recyclable materials, so if you're unable to sell it you can get rid of it by sneaking pieces in to your blue bin weekly and hoping the recycling guy doesn't get wise to the fact you're trying to unload a Hyundai on him. Another plus is that it's unlikely to get stolen by thieves, at least not male car theives, car thieves with self esteem, thieves who have driven one before, or who have ever read any car reviews. A third plus is that the money you're saving over the Civic is enough to buy limo tint so people can't see you driving, as well as a few extra pairs of shoes for walking to work when you park a few blocks away to avoid ridicule from that guy who sweeps the parking lot, but at least stepped up to buy the Civic. No one wants to go in to work on Monday and have to pathetically mumble &quot;I bought a Hyundai&quot; when asked how their weekend car shopping went.

You probably can't tell from my completely fair and objective opinion above, but I may have a very slightly biased viewpoint on Hyundais. In fact at the recent auto show, I was cutting through the Hyundai booth and was asked by a cheery saleslady &quot;Would you like to win a FREE Hyundai?&quot;, and stunned her by looking her dead in the eyes and politely but somberly responding &quot;No thank you, I really wouldn't&quot;.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jwslam
03-23-2015, 10:06 AM
As goofy as the 2nd gen looked I love it. Just looks so happy.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17f006576jvbgjpg/original.jpg

jwslam
03-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Does anyone else see a resemblance here?

http://www.carreviewsoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Veloster-r-blue.jpg
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/viva7/cabinet/17/99990047.jpg

Aleks
03-23-2015, 10:17 AM
From all the reviews I've read the Veloster doesn't even seem to be competitive with any cars in this class. But they do look kind of cool I guess. Last year I remember they had $7,000 off on the Turbo model in cash discounts. Maybe that's why the resale value is so bad.

schocker
03-23-2015, 10:21 AM
i hateeeeeeeeeeee the veloster so much. Such a dumb car, not sure why anyone buys it over the competition, especially the turbo since it is like gti money.

bjstare
03-23-2015, 10:27 AM
How someone could get this over a GTI or fiesta ST or Civic SI, is entirely beyond me.

eglove
03-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
How someone could get this over a GTI or fiesta ST or Civic SI, is entirely beyond me.

QFT

Kloubek
03-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

Especially at &lt;$28k for a base 2-dr 6sp

And especially since it can be APR tuned for a very small amount of money and end up with 305hp and 370ft/lbs of torque. Yes folks, that's 305/370 from a 2L.

Besides that, it has an interior which is a thousand times higher quality.

Buuuuttt... it was never on his list, so I guess not.

Tik-Tok
03-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Yes folks, that's 305/370 from a 2L.

Not to derail, but that's not ground breaking. Subies did it for years, and it wasn't difficult on a 1990 MR2 either.

Mitsu3000gt
03-23-2015, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Mar

I'm not buying an automatic, I can't imagine I'd ever buy one. The main reason I won't buy a GTi, 3, Focus or Fiesta is because of the 4 doors, my list is coupe only. I actually didn't know the Veloster was a 3 door until I was on the test drive and pushed the third window button to figure out what it was for.

How about a 2 door 6spd GTi? $28K, built better and probably a lot more fun than anything else on your list, especially with the new chassis and the easily chippable 210 hp/ 258 tq starting at 1,600 rpm. That would be a no-brainer compared to the Velostar or Civic Si unless you were really in love with the looks, at least IMHO :)

Kloubek
03-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Not to derail, but that's not ground breaking. Subies did it for years, and it wasn't difficult on a 1990 MR2 either.

No, you're right. It's not ground breaking. My 944 had almost 500 horsepower as well. But given the class of vehicle he's looking at, he's not going to get performance anywhere close to that with the vehicles he's narrowed himself down to without spending a lot more money.

But then, top performance isn't everyone's need/desire, either.

Mar
03-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Since so many people are suggesting the GTI I guess I'll explain why it isn't on the list. I never did like Volkswagens, I think they looked ugly back in the day and I know they have gotten better looking but it's too much of an adult car for me, I want something younger that stands out more. I'm not really ready to admit I'm an adult yet.

And an even more important reason, I've only heard horror stories of trying to find someone to actually work on the car, a lot of mechanics won't touch a Volkswagen and if they do, it's hard to find a good one. Plus the repair bills are astronomical for some reason, any of my friends that had Volkswagens swore they'd never have another one. My girlfriend had a little Volkswagen and ditched it for a Prelude, she never regretted it.

On top of that, any Volkswagen owner I've ever met was a specific breed of personality, I never liked them. There was something about a Volkswagen owner that was just a little too arrogant for me. Now I am fully aware there are all kinds of people but the Volkswagen culture seemed to be more flooded with these people and I couldn't figure out why.

I will fully admit the GTI is a better quality car but I don't want it.

rage2
03-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Can't argue with that logic haha.

Tik-Tok
03-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Well, the mechanic part is easy, the stealership or Tunedub, and then you don't won't want to own it anymore after the warranty is up anyways so you sell it for far better resale value then a veloster would give you :rofl:

FixedGear
03-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Since so many people are suggesting the GTI I guess I'll explain why it isn't on the list. I never did like Volkswagens, I think they looked ugly back in the day and I know they have gotten better looking but it's too much of an adult car for me, I want something younger that stands out more. I'm not really ready to admit I'm an adult yet.

And an even more important reason, I've only heard horror stories of trying to find someone to actually work on the car, a lot of mechanics won't touch a Volkswagen and if they do, it's hard to find a good one. Plus the repair bills are astronomical for some reason, any of my friends that had Volkswagens swore they'd never have another one. My girlfriend had a little Volkswagen and ditched it for a Prelude, she never regretted it.

On top of that, any Volkswagen owner I've ever met was a specific breed of personality, I never liked them. There was something about a Volkswagen owner that was just a little too arrogant for me. Now I am fully aware there are all kinds of people but the Volkswagen culture seemed to be more flooded with these people and I couldn't figure out why.

My brother bought a new gti in mid-2000s and had nothing but problems

schocker
03-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

My brother bought a new gti in mid-2000s and had nothing but problems
That is also 3 generations ago though. MKIV were super easy to work on though I found when something did go wrong :rofl:

Ca_Silvia13
03-23-2015, 12:39 PM
No one mentioned premium gas yet? Gas isn't that cheap hahaha

Full load Veloster turbo should be a premium only car. Civic, while i assume it would be much nicer/reliable, is only regular gas.

Depending on driving that could be 600/year extra for gas alone. You seem to be a number guys but never mentioned this.

gpomp
03-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

Full load Veloster turbo should be a premium only car. Civic, while i assume it would be much nicer/reliable, is only regular gas.

Depending on driving that could be 600/year extra for gas alone. You seem to be a number guys but never mentioned this. Both cars take premium.

Even if the Civic didn't, your math is off... unless you're driving 60,000 km/year :dunno:

schocker
03-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Both cars take premium.

Even if the Civic didn't, your math is off... unless you're driving 60,000 km/year :dunno:
Yup, same engine as the TSX. $600 based on $0.15 extra for premium is 4,000 L of fuel @ 10 L/100 km being 40,000 km. That is quite a bit of gas. I buy my gas at costco anyways so I only pay like $0.05 more for premium than everywhere else has for regular :rofl:

Ca_Silvia13
03-23-2015, 01:06 PM
^ depending on mileage...shit it says it right in my statment. Yes, some of us drive that much.

clem24
03-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Am I missing something? Seems like you'd fit right into this crowd. :dunno:

On a more serious note, I completely fail to see how a GTI is for adults when it's targeted squarely at younger buyers. Does it still come with plaid seats? I wouldn't hesitate to buy a modern day VW.

Here's the truth though: why don't you just go and DRIVE a GTI instead of arguing? No one says you have to buy it. But in all likelihood it'll change your impression of the Veloster.

schocker
03-23-2015, 01:15 PM
^ depending on mileage...shit it says it right in my statment. Yes, some of us drive that much.
40,000 km/yr is super high, obviously that is not an average amount though. I could drive 1mm km per year and it would be even higher you see. I must call you out because you called Marth a numbers person. He is most definitely not :rofl:

asp integra
03-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I lol'd at a few of these points. Astronomical repair bills? I have owned several Vws and japanese cars (acura/nissan) and would say they are the same. Also I believe the whole "German cars are more expensive to fix" is an old antiquated idea that a lot of people still have stuck in their heads. I can't argue about the looks, its personal, but I think the GTi is a far better looking car than the veloster, but again that is my opinion. Need someone to work on your VW? Tune dub and Calgary Auto Works are both awesome and very reasonable when it comes to pricing. I have also never had a problem with the work at either shop.

I would go Gti 8 days a week, I find the hyundai ugly inside and out, but drive both and see what you think.

Ca_Silvia13
03-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by schocker

40,000 km/yr is super high, obviously that is not an average amount though. I could drive 1mm km per year and it would be even higher you see. I must call you out because you called Marth a numbers person. He is most definitely not :rofl:

No worries, i still can't believe that a civic asks for premium gas. THAT doesn't make sense to me.

schocker
03-23-2015, 01:38 PM
No worries, i still can't believe that a civic asks for premium gas. THAT doesn't make sense to me.
High compression ratio, 2.4L, 201 hp 170 tq w/ vtak of course. Decent engine but getting kind of old. Next is hopefully turbo as base civic is getting 1.5L turbo instead of I think it is a 1.8L w/ like 140hp.

JRSC00LUDE
03-23-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Mar
On top of that, any Volkswagen owner I've ever met was a specific breed of personality, I never liked them. There was something about a Volkswagen owner that was just a little too arrogant for me.

:rofl: I've got a buddy who says every asshole he ever met drove a VW and, if you meet a guy who owns a VW he's an asshole!

Darkane
03-23-2015, 02:03 PM
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2014-ford-mustang-ford-mustang-coupe-coupe-2-door/1057335614?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Just leaving this here. I'd go with 20k cash in hand and leave with a new vehicle.

blitz
03-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Mar
but it's too much of an adult car for me, I want something younger that stands out more. I'm not really ready to admit I'm an adult yet.

Aren't you like 40?

BerserkerCatSplat
03-23-2015, 02:16 PM

If you're calling a Veloster &quot;incredible&quot;, you might need to try some better cars (ie. anything else) and raise your standards.

*snip*

:rofl: Fuckin' solid gold post. Velosters are hella ugly to boot.

For that kind of money, I'd buy a V6 Mustang and enjoy the extra hundred horsepower. Or a Fiesta ST and enjoy not having to look at a Veloster every day.

rage2
03-23-2015, 03:04 PM
The Veloster is interesting in that you either love the styling or you hate it. Unfortunately, I'm on the love side haha. It's just too bad the car sucks to drive.

pheoxs
03-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The Veloster is interesting in that you either love the styling or you hate it. Unfortunately, I'm on the love side haha. It's just too bad the car sucks to drive.

I wonder if it'll go the route of the PT Cruiser where it's cool and trendy and then the unique look wears off on people.

Hallowed_point
03-23-2015, 03:18 PM
I dig the veloster..the styling is certainly not for everyone though.

shakalaka
03-23-2015, 03:39 PM
I had a guy in the Veloster try to race me off the line at a red light when I was driving my AMG. I just laughed and didn't even bother. That guy was definitely a dbag, so I think they are spreading over to the Hyundai side as well.

Kg810
03-23-2015, 03:55 PM

If you're calling a Veloster &quot;incredible&quot;, you might need to try some better cars (ie. anything else) and raise your standards. The only way I could see calling it anything above &quot;passable&quot; is if your previous car and only point of reference was a 80's Lada previously owned by a meth addict. To me, everything looks cheap, feels cheap, and the driving experience is only marginally more enjoyable than taking a NE bus during rush hour on the hottest day of the year. It's like a Korean knockoff of a Chinese knockoff of an Eastern Bloc car designed by a special needs intern who has never driven and is being paid in lollipops.

As a bonus, if you choose the Honda, you'll actually be able to resell it someday to someone other than The Kidney Foundation for more than a $20 tax receipt. It's not all negative though. One big plus to the Veloster is that it's made with mostly recyclable materials, so if you're unable to sell it you can get rid of it by sneaking pieces in to your blue bin weekly and hoping the recycling guy doesn't get wise to the fact you're trying to unload a Hyundai on him. Another plus is that it's unlikely to get stolen by thieves, at least not male car theives, car thieves with self esteem, thieves who have driven one before, or who have ever read any car reviews. A third plus is that the money you're saving over the Civic is enough to buy limo tint so people can't see you driving, as well as a few extra pairs of shoes for walking to work when you park a few blocks away to avoid ridicule from that guy who sweeps the parking lot, but at least stepped up to buy the Civic. No one wants to go in to work on Monday and have to pathetically mumble &quot;I bought a Hyundai&quot; when asked how their weekend car shopping went.

You probably can't tell from my completely fair and objective opinion above, but I may have a very slightly biased viewpoint on Hyundais. In fact at the recent auto show, I was cutting through the Hyundai booth and was asked by a cheery saleslady &quot;Would you like to win a FREE Hyundai?&quot;, and stunned her by looking her dead in the eyes and politely but somberly responding &quot;No thank you, I really wouldn't&quot;.

hahahah :burnout:

Mar
03-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Depending on driving that could be 600/year extra for gas alone. You seem to be a number guys but never mentioned this.
The Civic is premium gas, the Veloster actually takes regular gas. It's not premium.

Originally posted by blitz

Aren't you like 40?

Originally posted by pheoxs

I wonder if it'll go the route of the PT Cruiser where it's cool and trendy and then the unique look wears off on people.
PT Cruisers were cool?

I just got back from buying the Veloster.

shakalaka
03-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Congrats, post some pics.

Darkane
03-23-2015, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Mar

The Civic is premium gas, the Veloster actually takes regular gas. It's not premium.

PT Cruisers were cool?

I just got back from buying the Veloster.

Pics. Im guessing you're not a mustang or domestic guy.

Mar
03-23-2015, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Pics. Im guessing you're not a mustang or domestic guy.
I'll post pictures upon delivery next week.
My parents had domestics my whole life:
- 1989 Ford Escort
- 1990 Chevrolet Blazer
- 1994 Dodge Spirit
- 1998 Ford Explorer
- 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier
- 200X Pontiac G6
- 2008 Ford Escape

I drove all of them and they're all crap. I'm pretty sure if I stared at them long enough, I could actually watch them fall apart. My dad just got his Escape back from the shop yesterday for a bushing. He tried to get the transmission replaced but the mechanic said it would be a while to get it in because there were 6 other Escapes ahead of him with the same transmission issues. Garbage.

tehwegz
03-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Would not buy.

Interesting vehicle, and a bold and arguably successful move by Hyundai.

But
-Steering feels elastic
-Not as energetic feeling as other offerings (Fiesta ST)
-Cramped space except up front (so people choose Elantra GT instead)
-Asymmetric doors (2 on passenger side, 1 on driver, and then the rear hatch)
-Interior isn't bad but only thing I liked was the center stack.
-Slow, even the Turbo model.

Looks to have choice between DCT or 6spd manual. Not sure what the other option is (auto or CVT).

I'd take a Scion TC instead.

Darkane
03-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I'll post pictures upon delivery next week.
My parents had domestics my whole life:
- 1989 Ford Escort
- 1990 Chevrolet Blazer
- 1994 Dodge Spirit
- 1998 Ford Explorer
- 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier
- 200X Pontiac G6
- 2008 Ford Escape

I drove all of them and they're all crap. I'm pretty sure if I stared at them long enough, I could actually watch them fall apart. My dad just got his Escape back from the shop yesterday for a bushing. He tried to get the transmission replaced but the mechanic said it would be a while to get it in because there were 6 other Escapes ahead of him with the same transmission issues. Garbage.

Interesting. It's funny I have an '08 escape too. We're the original owners with 174k. I've gotta say it's one of the most reliable vehicles we've had. Zero issues other than the TSB Trans-cooler leak. Fixed for free. My family has also owned an '89 Taurus. Reason I'm bringing it up is because the 4sp Ford tranny with OD has been refined over 20 years in the v6. Our Taurus has two trans replacements in its life of 306km. Escape still shifts like new and I'm not even bullshitting. I will say this, the escape has been meticulously maintained by Ford and myself. The only issue is the paint peeling off the body.

The mustang kijiji link I posted is actually quite a steal. Good on you for buying what you wanted though. I have serious problems buying the 'best' car and not usually the car I want.

relyt92
03-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Mar

I just got back from buying the Veloster. Congrats even if it's the unpopular option. What kind of money out the door did it cost you?

riander5
03-23-2015, 09:55 PM
All the crap domestic cars you listed go see how hyundais from that era are holding up

Japanese had it down back then... Not many else did.

Mar
03-23-2015, 10:05 PM
Congrats even if it's the unpopular option. What kind of money out the door did it cost you?
Thanks! The final deal I negotiated was:
- $221 bi weekly (same as $478 monthly)
- 15% off strut bar and floor mats (not installed)
- 4 free oil changes

MSRP is $465 per month plus all the fees the dealership adds. Apparently that's only for this week while the invoice pricing is on, after this week they will apparently be charging an additional $1200 for this car.

Something else I forgot to mention is that this car does avoid the more expensive coupe insurance bracket by having the third door on the passenger side. Because it has more than 2 doors, that puts it into a cheaper bracket for insurance, that helps. The very weird thing is that the B pillars are in different places on each side of the car because the passenger door is shorter than the driver's door. It's a very strange car but I like it!

relyt92
03-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Mar

- 4 free oil changes

MSRP is $465 per month plus all the fees the dealership adds. Apparently that's only for this week while the invoice pricing is on, after this week they will apparently be charging an additional $1200 for this car.

Something else I forgot to mention is that this car does avoid the more expensive coupe insurance bracket by having the third door on the passenger side. Because it has more than 2 doors, that puts it into a cheaper bracket for insurance, that helps. The very weird thing is that the B pillars are in different places on each side of the car because the passenger door is shorter than the driver's door. It's a very strange car but I like it! Over how many years? I hope like 4?

Mar
03-23-2015, 10:47 PM
60 months
It was just over $28,000 with 0% financing.

beyond_ban
03-23-2015, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Mar

People actually put premium fuel in their civics? :rofl:

Tik-Tok
03-23-2015, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

People actually put premium fuel in their civics? :rofl:

Civic SI, you're going to have a serious problem if you don't.

Mibz
03-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Civic SI, you're going to have a serious problem if you don't. Serious problem is an overstatement. No modern car will allow the engine to grenade due to 87 octane. It'll pull timing until it's safe. Hell, you'll probably get better mileage out of it, just less peak power.

rage2
03-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Mar
- 4 free oil changes

The factory incentive is $1650. I'm not sure why they knocked it down to $1200 for you.

Spec the car out exactly the way you mentioned without the accessories discount, and it's $218 bi-weekly or $472 monthly MSRP, lower than what you negotiated. You're right about MSRP before options though, it's $465 per month (with the $1650 incentive).

I hope the dealer didn't fuck you playing with the numbers.

ExtraSlow
03-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Do people honestly negotiate the payment, and not the total price? Seems like the dealer has way too many ways to fuck with you in that scenario.