PDA

View Full Version : dvd in motion bmw

03ozwhip
03-22-2015, 06:14 PM
I have nav/DVD in the new bimmer and of course you can't watch while driving, which is 100% useless in my opinion. Not that I want to watch, but my kid would be.

What do you bimmer guys use to do this, if at all?

killramos
03-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Its easy to code off. You will need an Esys cable and coding token. something like 50 bucks total and it opens up a ton of features.

Check out a dedicated BMW forum they will have all the info you need.

The other option is finding someone in town who can code to do it for you ( the dealer wont). The going rate for getting your car coded is 150 bucks or something down in the US.

This page on 2addicts gives you an idea ( process is the same for the 3 series i believe) the greater site probably has a dedicated thread for your car tbh.

03ozwhip
03-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Thanks man. I looked and there are all kinds of different answers and then the whiners that whine about distracted driving bla bla bla.

I'll look again for a solid answer, it's kinda why I came on here, too much whining on those threads lol

killramos
03-22-2015, 06:38 PM
just stick to the technical posts on coding itself and you should be fine

Honestly from what i have read its as simple as changing a code form niche_aktiv to aktiv :rofl:

I have considered getting the code but i think I'm to chicken shit to code my new car myself :D

in particular i want to code the Variable light distribution codes. As my car has all the hardware but the motors are disabled due to stupid DOT rules...

killramos
03-22-2015, 06:41 PM
Oh shit i just realized i forgot to add the link:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997749\

minimal bullshit.

03ozwhip
03-22-2015, 06:46 PM
have you done this killramos?

Edit: missed your other post. Also ya if that's the case and it's a warranty voider then I probably won't do it.

ToXicXxX
03-22-2015, 06:50 PM
We could code it for you if you wanted.

It is a bit more to code F's right now, because it's a more time consuming/involved process versus E's.

Also, if your car is freshly updated... It's not possible. BMW is a step ahead of coders right now, they keep pushing new firmware that needs to be cracked.

I've never heard of it being a warranty issue. BMW wont even notice. But if they do update the MEDIA it will wipe it out.

killramos
03-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
have you done this killramos?

Edit: missed your other post. Also ya if that's the case and it's a warranty voider then I probably won't do it.

It won't really void your warranty but there is a chance for you to temporarily brick your car if you fuck up lol.

For them to tell they would have to dig into the coding on your car ( which they won't do ).

edit: what toxic said lol, he clearly knows what he is doing much more than me

ToXicXxX
03-22-2015, 07:11 PM
The only coding they will notice (and BMW did notice this on my M3) is VO changes. If you alter the vehicle order and they need to get BMW Canada involved, they will see this and charge you for their time to "fix" it (I got charged $168 due to this). They wont deny the claim, they will just send you home with a updated/blanked car, and make you re-create the issue you're having again on a clean car (my current situation), as to make sure the coding isn't the problem source (how they think my coding has ANYTHING to do with DCT is laughable).

It's usually wise to tell them you have coding, so they know not to touch it (depending on the relationship with your SA), as long as the issue stays local and doesn't hit BMWCA it's a non-issue.

03ozwhip
03-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that info Toxic. I actually have an E90 so it would probably be a little easier? No? How much do you charge for something like that? Pm if you would like.

ToXicXxX
03-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Much easier to code an E90! Theres an app for it for iPhone/Android, but I'm not 100% trusting of it myself, especially if you were to drop BT connection mid write. And theres a few things it can't do.

If anyone does happen to brick a FRM/MEDIA, it is fixable, it just needs to be completely recoded.

J.M.
03-22-2015, 08:25 PM
I coded some options myself (E83 X3) but I was sweating like a motherfucker while I was doing it haha. It's not that hard to do it but I would definitely recommend doing a lot of reading before attempting to do it so you have a thorough understanding of the coding process. Other option as mentioned is to take it to a shop.

ToXicXxX
03-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
I coded some options myself (E83 X3) but I was sweating like a motherfucker while I was doing it haha. It's not that hard to do it but I would definitely recommend doing a lot of reading before attempting to do it so you have a thorough understanding of the coding process. Other option as mentioned is to take it to a shop.

Yes, you need to be 110% on what you are doing before you write any info! I've seen some funny mistakes (cars thinking they are a different car with options non existent on that model, or thinking they are xDrive).

It's a lot more time consuming to fix mistakes then it is to do it right the first time haha.

Strider
03-23-2015, 08:09 AM
I've coded a few options on my F25 and on an F10. It's really easy once you actually get into it - feels just like editing Windows registry settings.

Not sure if it's the same ENET cable for an E90, but OP you're welcome to borrow mine if you find out that it is.