PDA

View Full Version : Instrumentation Tech

sxtasy
03-23-2015, 08:19 PM
So I am just finishing up my Power Engineering diploma from Sait and will have my 3rd class ticket (all papers done just need two months steam time). Since things are pretty rough out there right now for work, I have been thinking of getting further certified until things pick back up again.

What is the general consensus for an Instrumentation ticket? I believe this should compliment a Power Engineering tech quite well. What is the best way to go about this? I don't really want to do two more years of schooling for the instrumentation diploma. Would I be able to find a company and go the apprenticeship route? What are the chances of finding that in this economy? Any insight is appreciated!

HiTempguy1
03-23-2015, 09:14 PM
I'll just quote myself from the last thread I commented on ;)

Honestly, in this market, why go Instrumentation? Yes, it does compliment Power Engineering well, but if you are going to spend the time and effort, I would diversify your experience/education vs narrowing it. It appears a lot of companies are still hiring Instrumentation people, but it is all field work/away from home.

As I typically say, if all you truly care about is job security/earning potential, stick with Electrical (either apprenticeship or technologist route). It is a much broader area that has widespread application across all of North America. Instrumentation in Alberta will pigeonhole you compared to other fields of work.

Its the nature of the beast! I could not have the job I have now without having been an Instrumentation Technologist. But I am also a realist :)

As for which one (technologist vs apprenticeship) it REALLY depends on what you want. Office work or field work? At the end of the day, a technologist can get their jman ticket with only two years of hours needed and can challenge all the exams. Also keep in mind that the schooling is 4 x 8 weeks. Sure, it is less than taking the diploma, but the diploma gets you more overall since it gets you half way through the apprenticeship. And again, you broaden rather than narrow your choices by going that route.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

So, I believe you are saying you don't want to be doing a lot of physical, hands on, outside work?

If so, do not go Instrumentation journeyman route. I also (personally) would not suggest the Instrumentation Technologist route either. If you are going to get a diploma, I would suggest going the Electrical Engineering Technologist route.

Higher demand, better wages, and a more general area of work in case if oil takes a dump so you can switch industries. Instrumentation in Alberta is extremely focused on one specific industry. Could you apply it to the manufacturing sector out east if you had to? Yes, but that would require proper experience.

Mechanical Engineering Technologists kind of get treated like Mechanical Engineers from what I have seen. A lot of those people (unfortunately, as they have more skills than just the one) get stuck doing drafting/design work and it is hard for them to get out of that rut. There isn't anything wrong with that if you like it, but sitting at a desk 8 hours a day drawing stuff in solidworks can get old after 5 years. And the Mech technologists especially get treated like dirt and have lower wages.

Edit Edit-
Sales is interesting. In a good market, they make a killing without (IMO) working much harder than other people in various industries.

At the same time, sales people get let go instantly when a market tanks. And it wasn't very challenging for me while I was in it, more about schmoozing than making something tangible. Different strokes, some people earn money with their words, it just isn't for me.

hassanb
06-10-2015, 03:54 PM

a technologist can get their jman ticket with only two years of hours needed and can challenge all the exams.

Does that also apply to the electrical engineering technology program or is it just for instrumentation?

HiTempguy1
06-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by hassanb

Does that also apply to the electrical engineering technology program or is it just for instrumentation?

I honestly do not know what the apprentice board's standards are for EET to electrician jman ticket.

hassanb
06-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Any electrical technologists here would like to chime in?

Darkane
06-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Tough one. Instruments and electrical both compliment quite well.

Millwright is also excellent to compliment.

My personal opinion would be petroleum engineering tech. This could work to transition you back to the office after say 5-10 years of field operating. Most likely in a SAGD or gas field career path.

Cos
06-11-2015, 12:58 PM

HiTempguy1
06-11-2015, 01:10 PM
As Cos has highlighted, if you can deal with the more complicated marth and stupid electrons, do the EET. I wish I would have, if I get laid off I am going to go back to school for it! :D

Crazyjoker77
06-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by hassanb
Any electrical technologists here would like to chime in?

I'm positive it would. I did Instrumentation ET at sait and my employer put me through for electrical(trade) and the aprenticeship board offered to give me the two years credit for the IET cert.

The apprenticeship schooling was cake compared to what was covered at sait. I never even unwrapped my modules.

Cos
06-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Crazyjoker77
06-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I heard going from EET to the electrician program the biggest thing you don't learn in more depth in EET is fire alarm stuff.

Fire alarm is only covered in 4th year(so i dont see how you can miss out on anything by skipping first 2 years) and even then its all of a 1.5hr lecture and one test. It hardly covers all you would need to know. Additional training is still recommended. My employer doesnt count a electrician as being qualified to do anymore than change out a detector or reset a panel.

Matty_10
06-11-2015, 07:02 PM
If your up for more schooling definitley do EET. I personally dont know any power/EET guys so not sure how much it'd benefit you.

With EET your able to do field work, office/design work and theres even some 50/50-field office jobs. Are field guys make some insane bank.

Theres quite a few managers and directors that are EET/electrician. That or be a lineman.

The math in the electrician program is a joke compared to EET, all i had to do is write an exam the first day and if you get over 70 you dont have to take it. All 1 & 2 is basically AC\DC basic theory with some motors and XFMR thrown in. My XMR test said 1997 for a date on it.:nut:

rx7_turbo2
06-11-2015, 07:49 PM
I'm not sure there's an official "x gets you credit for y" policy with the Apprentiship Board. They tend to do a case by case approval.

Having said that if you have an EET diploma and provided the theory is still fresh in your head, a quick review and challenging the 1st and 2nd year TQ's shouldn't be an issue. However the Canadian Electrical Code content might cause some issues, it's not all that intuitive if you don't deal with it day in and day out.

I'm not sure why you'd go that route though. If you have an EET diploma and you don't mind a few more years of school the PSE as Cos mentioned is the way to go. I talked with a representative from Enmax. You need an EET diploma, they'll indenture you as a PSE apprentice and pay for everything, including your salary and living expenses while you're in school.

Electrician to EET makes sense I think. EET to Journeyman Electrician I'm not sure is as advantageous, especially considering the opportunities becoming a PSE would offer.

freshprince1
06-12-2015, 08:02 AM
EET would be more broadly applicable, but Instrumentation Tech is very applicable. I work in the Automation field and I see a lot of guys who have moved through the ranks with an Instrumentation Tech background. I think though with an EET, you may climb faster and be more flexible in the jobs you can get.

I also think Instr. Tech. is applicable across multiple industries, so you pay start out in power, but you could likely also be in O&G, Pulp/Paper, Pipeline etc. But I would agree that the first 10-15 years would probably be in the field or at site.

Good luck!

Cos
06-12-2015, 08:17 AM

rx7_turbo2
06-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Sorry I was talking specifically about the SAIT courses, SAIT EET does give you exact credit to quite a few of your first and second year courses. We had guys go the other way (electrician to EET) and they got to skip first semester and about half of the second.

That's not the case anymore. If you're a Journeyman Electrician you only get credit for 1 course in the EET program now. From the sounds of it they were finding Electricians they gave credit for that many courses to really struggled in the second year. Either that or they found they were losing out on a significant amount of tuition :devil:

HiTempguy1
06-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Cos

IET and EET are definitely in the same family but I don't think they're interchangeable as easily in some industries. O&G PLC? Sure. My company? No way in hell.

IET learns extremely little about the electrical side of things. A the end of the day, can IET's and EET's fill similar roles? Absolutely.

But EET's overall have a much larger scope IMO, along with more opportunity. That's just my general consensus after being in the industry for 5 years. Seems most IET's end up in the field anyways, whereas EET's are in the office.

Cos
06-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

That's not the case anymore. If you're a Journeyman Electrician you only get credit for 1 course in the EET program now. From the sounds of it they were finding Electricians they gave credit for that many courses to really struggled in the second year. Either that or they found they were losing out on a significant amount of tuition :devil:

Huh, fair enough. It has been 8 years since I graduated.

IET learns extremely little about the electrical side of things. A the end of the day, can IET's and EET's fill similar roles? Absolutely.

But EET's overall have a much larger scope IMO, along with more opportunity. That's just my general consensus after being in the industry for 5 years. Seems most IET's end up in the field anyways, whereas EET's are in the office.

Yeah fair enough, and don't get me wrong there are lots IET's know I don't. Just different worlds.

chathamf
06-12-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm currently about to enter the third year of my electrical apprenticeship. I don't want to be in building and labour kind of work my whole career, and would like to do the EET thing once done my apprenticeship. Does SAIT only offer the program full-time or is there a way to pull it off while still keeping a job?

rx7_turbo2
06-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
I'm currently about to enter the third year of my electrical apprenticeship. I don't want to be in building and labour kind of work my whole career, and would like to do the EET thing once done my apprenticeship. Does SAIT only offer the program full-time or is there a way to pull it off while still keeping a job?

My understanding is that it's only offered full time. There's probably a couple courses you can do through online or distance like the Communications classes. Most of the courses have a lab component that require attendance. Even the math and calculus courses are specific to the technology programs and to my knowledge not offered outside those programs.

If you're really interested in going back after getting your ticket you've got time. Start putting away every last penny. The tuition is pretty reasonable and as a skilled tradesman you shouldn't have much difficulty picking up jobs in the evening and weekend while you're in school.

HuMz
06-13-2015, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by chathamf

Yeah its only full time now, unfortunately further advancements for Electricians have been cut back in the last couple years. I will be enrolling next September for EET, the only courses I was able to do online were COMP-213 and COMM-238. You are also able to challenge ELCT-205 but if you're like me (5 years since getting J-man ticket) it will be a good refresher.

PSE was a good route to take before, because a J-man would get credited for the first 2 years but they've just stopped that. EET is the best option to get you in a career you can see yourself in until you retire, without having to break your back.

HiTempguy1
06-13-2015, 08:20 AM
There should be an evening program should there not be?

Nait offers evening/weekend IET for instance. I'd be extremely surprised if SAIT doesn't offer something similiar for EET!

At the same time, if you dont want to be in the field forever, its a good route to take. Work, save some money, have your debts paid off, and do the two years. I would not have the job I have now without my diploma, it has been worth every penny!

rx7_turbo2
06-13-2015, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by HuMz

Yeah its only full time now, unfortunately further advancements for Electricians have been cut back in the last couple years. I will be enrolling next September for EET, the only courses I was able to do online were COMP-213 and COMM-238. You are also able to challenge ELCT-205 but if you're like me (5 years since getting J-man ticket) it will be a good refresher.

PSE was a good route to take before, because a J-man would get credited for the first 2 years but they've just stopped that. EET is the best option to get you in a career you can see yourself in until you retire, without having to break your back.

That's correct while you can't get direct credit I believe you can challenge the final exam, I think you still need to satisfy the lab hours though? Even if you just finished trade school I'd recommend taking ELCT 205. It'll be a breeze GPA booster but things are taught a little differently and it will set you up for similar success in ELEC 291. If it's fresh in your head neither classes are going to be all that difficult but there may be some concepts taught a different way that will benefit you down the road.

The only course you can get full credit for is ELEC 266.

I know SAIT offers night and weekends for a number of the Tech programs but I'm pretty sure EET isn't one of them. I'll find out.

HuMz
06-13-2015, 11:13 AM
No evening class option unless they are changing it for the upcoming year. Like mentioned above, the best bet is to get your J-man ticket than save like a madman for a few years so you can afford full time day school. I will have my masters when I go so I plan on gaining some extra income via side work on weekends.

hassanb
06-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

That's correct while you can't get direct credit I believe you can challenge the final exam, I think you still need to satisfy the lab hours though? Even if you just finished trade school I'd recommend taking ELCT 205. It'll be a breeze GPA booster but things are taught a little differently and it will set you up for similar success in ELEC 291. If it's fresh in your head neither classes are going to be all that difficult but there may be some concepts taught a different way that will benefit you down the road.

The only course you can get full credit for is ELEC 266.

I know SAIT offers night and weekends for a number of the Tech programs but I'm pretty sure EET isn't one of them. I'll find out.

Please do sir, and thank you all for your input.

rx7_turbo2
07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
I was able to confirm.

EET program is full time only.

"Only the COMM 238 and COMM 288 are offered by distance but may not be offered throughout the whole summer.
Thanks"

I suspected this was the case.