PDA

View Full Version : Condition Based Servicing

killramos
03-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Hey guys i am wondering if someone can give me a lowdown on how BMW's condition based servicing works in conjunction with the service inclusive.

Basically coming form Hondas and VW's i am used to looking in my little service book and seeing that for every X,000 km or X months this service has to be performed on my vehicle with a list of what needs to be replaced or inspected ( oil, spark plugs, cabin filters, trasnmission oil etc.). Simple.

Now with the BMW i look in and all it says is replace as per Condition Based Servicing. Does that mean there are no intervals for the car?

Basically I'm on my 1 year anniversary of owning the car. And as per my service inclusive agreement I am entitled to an oil change once a year. The problem? I had an extra one done in october pre winter for precaution, at my cost. So they reset my service interval. Now i know when i call in I'm going to get some BS about " We can't include service if your vehicle doesn't ask for it" so i want some ammunition on how this whole system works before calling them. I am not going to wait until october for my 1 year oil change...

For example i find it hard to believe that 1 year and 10,000 km in there is no additional work to be done aside form changing the oil ( which based on the "condition based servicing" i would assume the car should be telling me to take it in anyways)...

Any clarification would be great. I want to get this sorted out soon because last i checked BMW's wait list for service was 6 weeks.

Strider
03-24-2015, 10:12 AM
The CBS doesn't prompt for an oil change at yearly intervals even if they didn't reset it. They'll still do it and cover it. Just call them up and confirm when you book.

The wait shouldn't be that bad unless you're trying to get a Saturday appointment or something.

killramos
03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Strider
The CBS doesn't prompt for an oil change at yearly intervals even if they didn't reset it. They'll still do it and cover it. Just call them up and confirm when you book.

The wait shouldn't be that bad unless you're trying to get a Saturday appointment or something.

Ok that's good to know. Should be relatively painless then.

My 6 week quote was from last August for my diff and last October to get my winter tire package install. When i was booking the appointment for the wheels they quoted a delay of October 31st as first available drop off appointment, longer for an agreeable day.

Instead i booked a "2 hour while you wait appointment" that took 4.5 hours :nut: which was still 3 weeks out.

I remember being able to get next day appointments with my old car which is why i am so bitter about it.

realazy
03-24-2015, 04:11 PM
I've never had to wait that long for oil change appointments, usually a couple weeks ahead at BMW Gallery. Don't really have any bad stories to tell about them.

You can just book your annual oil change by calling them, they have a record of when it was last done and will honor it based it when it was last done under the maintenance program.

The CBS applies to all the other compenents though, so you'll have to wait until the car says so.

I also found out that it's quicker if you actually plug in your key on the drive there, as plugging it in updates the the key with the mileage information as well as other equipment statuses that you can't see on idrive. I had my spark plugs replaced under the maintenance program when they read my key.

killramos
03-24-2015, 04:16 PM
My car is f series so no key slot haha.

03ozwhip
03-24-2015, 08:16 PM
I've been reading a shit ton since I got my e90 and from what I've read, bmw has some seriously skimpy servicing intervals.

1 oil change a year is horseshit, I just got turned down for one on my other bmw and it hasn't been done since June and my last free service is June.

same as you, it's at my cost if I want to do it and I think it needs to be done more than once a year, even if I've only driven it 5k in a year.

End rant. No help to you, but I feel your pain, it's like they want your shit to break after warranty, so intervals on maintenance are skimpy.

killramos
03-24-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm just holding out for a competition pack m3. I'm never going to own this car outside of warranty. But the second owner will be very lucky considering how I baby the car.

I figure the fact that 2014 is the last year that bmw offers free transferable warranties (yea they snuck that one in on people) will help my resale.

killramos
04-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Well I am actually impressed. Called into the dealer for my 1 year service and they were able to get me in for a drop off appointment within a week.

Which is odd because when i looked at their online system it had nothing until may? :nut:

So i guess the answer is always call in :rofl:

SkiBum5.0
04-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Do not follow CBS on BMW's, especially the high strung motors. It isn't a coincidence that CBS came along the very same year that BMW started including 4 year maintenance coverage on new cars.

Anyone who has a BMW needs to read Mike Miller's Lifetime Maintenance Schedule. He doesn't like people sharing it on message boards so I'll respect that. It's easy to find if you look - his preferred method is for you to email him.

It will spell out where and where not to follow CBS.