PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Police Issue 1,500 Distracted Driving Tickets This Month

killramos
03-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Aparently they went on a blitz this month. Since march 1st...

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/1-500-distracted-driving-tickets-dished-out-by-vpd-this-month-1.2295149

Four weeks into B.C.’s province-wide distracted driving campaign, it seems far too many motorists just aren’t getting the message.
Vancouver police revealed Tuesday that officers have dished out a whopping 1,500 distracted driving tickets since the campaign began March 1.
“The high number is disappointing,” Acting Insp. Ken Egan said in a statement. “We have seen firsthand the consequences of distracted driving. Leave your phone alone and pay attention to the road.”

The provincial campaign aims to curb the persistent problem of drivers using phones and other electronic devices behind the wheel, a habit so dangerous it’s become the second-leading cause of car crash fatalities in B.C. after speed.
An average of 88 people are killed in the province every year due to distracted driving, according to the Insurance Corporation of B.C., compared to 105 lives claimed by speeding.
ICBC figures also show the number of distracted driving tickets issued has gone up every year since the law came into effect in 2010, reaching 54,600 last year. That amounts to more than $9.1 million in fines.
Motorists caught talking or texting behind the wheel in B.C. are dinged $167, one of the lowest fines in Canada, and receive three driver penalty points.

That's a ridiculous number of infractions. how does this compare to things like speeding?

4,500 demerits handed out in march just over this. $250,500 in Fines.

it says this was done by "Vancouver Police", I don't know where their jurisdiction ends and the RCMP take over ( I thought a lot of metro Vancouver was RCMP patrolled).

If it is just the City of Vancouver that means that 1 in 430 drivers received a ticket...

ExtraSlow
03-24-2015, 03:28 PM
I fully support these enforcement blitzes. If there is a traffic law on the books, it should be enforced strictly.

killramos
03-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Oh I totally agree. But holy fuck there are alot of people breaking that law to be able to hand out that many tickets...

eglove
03-24-2015, 03:30 PM
fine needs to be increased or a harsher penalty otherwise it's never going to change

Sugarphreak
03-24-2015, 03:31 PM

firebane
03-24-2015, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Aparently they went on a blitz this month. Since march 1st...

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/1-500-distracted-driving-tickets-dished-out-by-vpd-this-month-1.2295149

That's a ridiculous number of infractions. how does this compare to things like speeding?

4,500 demerits handed out in march just over this. $250,500 in Fines.

it says this was done by "Vancouver Police", I don't know where their jurisdiction ends and the RCMP take over ( I thought a lot of metro Vancouver was RCMP patrolled).

If it is just the City of Vancouver that means that 1 in 430 drivers received a ticket...

British Columbia is all RCMP unlike Alberta.

Also with that said Metro Vancouver covers the entire area of the lower mainland so this is 1500 tickets of a VERY VERY large area (Area: 2,877 km˛).

So in the grand scheme of things its not AS bad as it seems.

Darell_n
03-24-2015, 03:38 PM
It should be law to just take the phone, smash it and hand it back. Here's your fine, see you again next week.

jacky4566
03-24-2015, 03:39 PM
I wonder how many of these will be enforced/ appealed?
While I fully support the cause is it not hard to enforce distracted driving? Since its the officers word vs citizen.

Do we know if insurance companies will start increasing rates if you have a DD ticket.

revelations
03-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Also with that said Metro Vancouver covers the entire area of the lower mainland so this is 1500 tickets of a VERY VERY large area (Area: 2,877 km˛).

No, there are dozens of city forces across the province. Nelson, Vancouver, North Van, Delta - just to name a few.

The VPD stick to the areas South of North Van, West of Burnaby and North of Richmond. Ie. CITY of Vancouver.

spikerS
03-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566

Do we know if insurance companies will start increasing rates if you have a DD ticket.

To an insurance company, a demerit point is a demerit point, doesn't matter what it is for. There are a few convictions that insurance companies watch for like DUIs that carry more weight, but all demerit points are weighted equally.

Swank
03-24-2015, 03:52 PM
Definitely seeing more drivers than less doing this here :thumbsdow

codetrap
03-24-2015, 03:56 PM

Masked Bandit
03-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

To an insurance company, a demerit point is a demerit point, doesn't matter what it is for. There are a few convictions that insurance companies watch for like DUIs that carry more weight, but all demerit points are weighted equally.

That's not quite accurate, but I understand where you're coming from.

Currently, DD tickets don't have demerits and as such, don't show up on your abstract. If it's not on your abstract, insurance companies don't know / care. However if something shows up on your abstract, demerits or not, insurance will count it.

It's only moving violations that matter (speeding for example). Things like seatbelts, registration, etc. are considered administrative and as such don't count.

If & when the AB government decides to attach demerits to the DD tickets, these will count I'm assuming the same as a generic speeding ticket. However there is an outside chance that they will be classed the same as Driving Without Due Care & Attention and will mess up your insurance with just one ticket.

Arash Boodagh
03-24-2015, 04:57 PM
I heard about a Vancouverite getting such a ticket when he was stopped at a red light and shuffling his playlist of music on his phone.

A few months back I was walking in the heart of downtown Vancouver and noticed that an officer on a motorcycle was quickly accelerating and stopping by each of the cars in traffic, peaking inside each. He was either looking for a cell phone in reach of the driver or unseat belted riders in the back.
Personally I think it more of a cash grab then safety concerns of the populace.

I would like to see stiff fines for real abusers, but our system will never be righteous.

Xtrema
03-24-2015, 05:06 PM
Not enough. I'm sure just camping in Richmond alone can net you 1500 tix in a month.

NoPulp
03-24-2015, 05:07 PM
Distracted driving needs to be enforced more here. So tired of almost being ran off the road because someone feels the need to talk/text or some other stupid shit.

C_Dave45
03-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Huh? Vancouver has their own police. So does Abbotsford, Delta, Port Moody, New West...might be more, but that's what I can remember off the top of my head, just in the lower mainland alone.

Thales of Miletus
03-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by eglove
fine needs to be increased or a harsher penalty otherwise it's never going to change

I think fine need to be adjusted to income.

I think some big wig got a $30,000 fine for going 15 over in Sweden or some such place. The fines there are based on net income.

I think traffic fines have become a real problem the united states, as they are being used for a source of revenue. The real problem is that private firms are collecting. Turning $50 fines into $2000 fines.

MGCM
03-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

I think fine need to be adjusted to income.

I think some big wig got a $30,000 fine for going 15 over in Sweden or some such place. The fines there are based on net income.

whats their success rate been like? sounds like an interesting concept for Alberta to consider.