PDA

View Full Version : Are broken brakes part of warranty?

Mar
03-25-2015, 01:13 PM
I thought this was absurd but everyone so far seems to disagree with me. I have no reason to think anyone here would be different but I want to know what people think.

My girlfriend took our Lancer into Mitsubishi this morning, here's the background:

a) bought 2014 Lancer new
b) 3-4 times we found the car in a different place from where she parked it, once it rolled into another car.
c) took it to a mechanic friend and he confirmed the left side parking brake isn't engaging.
d) took it to Mitsubishi and asked them to fix the parking brake.
e) Mitsubishi wants a $150 diagnostic charge for looking at the car, plus payment to fix the brake
f) the car has 24,000 kilometres, the dealership is stating the brake tightening is part of the 20,000 kilometre maintenance for tightening everything up that comes loose. She's past that maintenance, she has to pay

I would think if your brakes don't work, that would be a major problem and a huge safety concern to be fixed under warranty. The feedback I'm getting from people is this is normal.

killramos
03-25-2015, 01:19 PM
I dunno Mar, its your car. Are the (parking) brakes part of the warranty? Have you considered READING THE WARRANTY.

I know that if there is an issue with my parking brake they will cover it for 4 years. But my warranty isn't yours.

Did she take the car in for her 20,000km maintenance? because if you do not follow the service intervals that's cause to void your warranty...

Also no offence your parking brake is not "your brakes" also according to your mechanic friend one side is working. If one wheel is locked i doubt it is rolling into another car... More likely it wasn't engaged at all

FraserB
03-25-2015, 01:21 PM
What does your warranty documentation say?

rx7boi
03-25-2015, 01:22 PM
So you're asking if the dealership is trying to buttfuck you, right?

Warranty is not a golden ticket you flash like a multi-pass.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/mightywhitee/Multipass.jpg

Best contact Mitsubishi corporate to ask why dealer is refusing your warranty claim and if their "excuse" actually holds any weight.

Other questions to ask yourself:

- Is brake tightening actually part of the 20,000 km service?
- If so, why didn't you take it in at 20,000km?
- Why do you fail at life and ask for assurance that hopefully it's not you?

FraserB
03-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Looks like the Mitsubishi warranty covers adjustments for the first 20,000km and after that, you're on your own. Seems reasonable that the adjustment of an e-brake failing to engage is part of that.

How long had the car been rolling before you took it in?

Mitsu3000gt
03-25-2015, 01:36 PM
I know that Cadillac Escalade brakes aren't warrantied haha, maybe Mitsubishi has the same policy.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Sounds like they aren't "broken" just out of adjustment.

Crazyjoker77
03-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I thought this was absurd but everyone so far seems to disagree with me. I have no reason to think anyone here would be different but I want to know what people think.

My girlfriend took our Lancer into Mitsubishi this morning, here's the background:

a) bought 2014 Lancer new
b) 3-4 times we found the car in a different place from where she parked it, once it rolled into another car.
c) took it to a mechanic friend and he confirmed the left side parking brake isn't engaging.
d) took it to Mitsubishi and asked them to fix the parking brake.
e) Mitsubishi wants a $150 diagnostic charge for looking at the car, plus payment to fix the brake
f) the car has 24,000 kilometres, the dealership is stating the brake tightening is part of the 20,000 kilometre maintenance for tightening everything up that comes loose. She's past that maintenance, she has to pay

I would think if your brakes don't work, that would be a major problem and a huge safety concern to be fixed under warranty. The feedback I'm getting from people is this is normal.

You obviously havent learned that the dealership IS out to screw you anyway possible. I don't understand why you would take a car on warranty to a 3rd party mechanic first. Normally this might be covered on warranty but you gave them a couple outs by missing your required brake service @20000km and by having somebody else work on it. They are just going to blame your mechanic friend and its your responsibility to prove otherwise.

That being said you can probably get away with getting this fixed just by having your service 3 done (which includes the brake servicing) as more than likely they just need to be readjusted. So instead of paying the diagnostic fee and for the repair just get the service 3 done.(or whatever mitsu calls it)

Wear parts on brakes are never covered though.

If you think dealing with mistu warranty is bad just wait till your new velostar has issues. I don't even think they should be able to say the cars have warranty as they will deny almost every claim. (i use to work at a hyundai dealership)

clem24
03-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
I don't understand why you would take a car on warranty to a 3rd party mechanic first.

Let's be fair here - he said "mechanic friend" (which could include mechanically inclined friend) which is I think quite fair to get a car issue diagnosed beforehand instead of waiting at the dealer and as everyone points get, get buttfucked by them.

The mechanic friend only looked at it - no attempt was made to fix it, which also many of us would do. And to be fair to Mar, I would be pretty pissed if my less than 1 year old car had a failing handbrake and warranty didn't cover it.

I don't normally side with Mar but I will on this one.

danno
03-25-2015, 02:55 PM
You could always leave it in gear and pull the e brake but that wouldn't make sense....

M.alex
03-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Do e-brakes actually need constant adjusting - I've never had a car where it needed adjusting?

killramos
03-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Do e-brakes actually need constant adjusting - I've never had a car where it needed adjusting?

Depends on how many e brake power slides you do lol. Or if you have a habit of yanking it way to hard and stretching the cable.

dj_rice
03-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Brakes can be warrantied depending on the KM's AND if your actually buddy buddy with the Service Advisor or a good recurring client. The advisor can always pull strings and get stuff through warranty by doing the right things, such as mechanics story etc etc. There's always ways.

eglove
03-25-2015, 03:27 PM
Take it to hyundai - they gave you a good deal on your veloster. So maybe they will hook you up with some work on your Mitsubishi

Mar
03-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Let's be fair here - he said "mechanic friend" (which could include mechanically inclined friend) which is I think quite fair to get a car issue diagnosed beforehand instead of waiting at the dealer and as everyone points get, get buttfucked by them.

The mechanic friend only looked at it - no attempt was made to fix it, which also many of us would do. And to be fair to Mar, I would be pretty pissed if my less than 1 year old car had a failing handbrake and warranty didn't cover it.

I don't normally side with Mar but I will on this one.
Holy smokes, am I reading this right?

Originally posted by danno
You could always leave it in gear and pull the e brake but that wouldn't make sense....
The Compustar starter only works when the car is left in neutral. I've been leaving my Civic in neutral every day for 10 years.

Fair enough so it's not a warranty issue. Makes sense now.

benyl
03-25-2015, 03:31 PM
Mercedes is the only manufacturer in Canada that I am aware that covers brakes. They do that for the first 2 years and it is called the adjustment period.

I don't know why people don't use the parking brake and first gear when they park a manual car. When I used to drive a manual, I would just leave it in first. Never used the parking brake.

Graham_A_M
03-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Often the cables stretch over time. It also depends on how often its used and other things. I literally never use it, so I don't even bother checking. Some of our farm vehicles have well over 250k on them, and the ebrake works just like new. :dunno:

On a vehicle with a measly 24k on it, and a 2014, for it to need adjustment already really makes me wonder if your GF is just reefing on it, or WTF is going on with Mitsu if she isn't.

Unless your "friend" is qualified mechanic, I wouldn't let me him touch the car. Im a decent mechanic myself, and wow did I ever get owned with the E brake adjustment on one of my trucks... :banghead: Knowing how to fix some things is nice, but knowing how to properly adjust something so it always works as it should, that's another.

Mar
03-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Mercedes is the only manufacturer in Canada that I am aware that covers brakes. They do that for the first 2 years and it is called the adjustment period.

I don't know why people don't use the parking brake and first gear when they park a manual car. When I used to drive a manual, I would just leave it in first. Never used the parking brake.
On most cars the strongest gear is reverse, not first.
I use the parking brake because on all my parents' automatics the parking brake would seize and break after a couple of years of not being used. Maybe it's not an issue in Calgary's dry climate but in Newfoundland you can't find a car more than 5 years old with a working hand brake.

FraserB
03-25-2015, 03:40 PM
You should have the transmission looked at too, if it's rolling while in gear then you might have a bigger issue than just the e-brake.

Sentry
03-25-2015, 03:43 PM
I did plenty of warranty brake work with Toyota. Like a shitload actually. Siennas and Tundras were good money. :dunno:

I don't see why a stretched cable wouldn't be warrantable if that is the cause.

Some people pull the ebrake really weakly though. I'm used to giving it a good tug, leaving it in gear, and making damn sure it isn't going to move.

Crazyjoker77
03-25-2015, 03:52 PM

I got into the habit of always in neutral w/ ebrake because all my cars had turbo timers so it was really the only option. (or wait for the car to time out then put it in gear which defeated the whole point of a TT) Or as mar said Remote starters for manuals always have a stupid sequence you have to follow that always ends with your car in neutral or it wont work.

Swank
03-25-2015, 04:00 PM
The handbrake cable on my old Alero must have been made of silly putty, I'd always be gentle with it and after a few uses it needed adjusting and was never covered under warranty. After the 3rd adjustment I wrote it off, I always parked in gear, this was just for idling in winter on an incline. See you in hell Foldsmobile!

firebane
03-25-2015, 04:28 PM

Remote starters don't work on manual transmissions unless you leave the car in neutral.

Disoblige
03-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Just a note, parking brake should be used everytime you're parked, regardless of automatic or manual, or parking on an incline or flat. Huge pet peeve of mine when people put their cars in park and then release the brake with no e-brake. Ughhh, feels terrible.

relyt92
03-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Swank
The handbrake cable on my old Alero must have been made of silly putty, I'd always be gentle with it and after a few uses it needed adjusting and was never covered under warranty. After the 3rd adjustment I wrote it off, I always parked in gear, this was just for idling in winter on an incline. See you in hell Foldsmobile! Ah the Alero. Was my first car. Did yours have all the passlock issues too?