PDA

View Full Version : Body of Calgary man missing since Sept. found in tree

roopi
03-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Didn't see if there was an original thread on this when he went missing. Can't believe he was in this tree that long in a yard. :confused:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/body-found-in-tree-in-acadia-yard-police-investigating

Hours after a body was found in a large fir tree in Acadia on Wednesday, the family of a man who went missing nearby six months ago announced his death.

Police say the death doesn’t appear to be suspicious.

Police were called to the 9800 block of Alberni Road S.E. around 2:45 p.m. Wednesday after a resident spotted what appeared to be a man in a tree.

Acting Det. Jack Russell said the complaint told police she found a body in a large fir tree in front of her house.

She told officers she hadn’t checked the large tree for several months, Russell added.

Detectives and the Medical Examiner responded to the call and the body was removed with assistance from the Calgary Fire Department.

The body was found close to where Justin McKinnon-Blomme, who is also known as Justin Rhodes, was last seen six months ago.

The 21-year-old was last seen getting out of a friend’s car at the intersection of Acadia Drive S.E. and Southland Drive around 10:30 p.m. on Sept. 24, 2014.

His disappearance has mystified friends and family, who appealed to the public in October for information relating to the case, distributed thousands of posters across the province, and posted a $10,000 reward in January.

Police would not comment on the identity of the body on Wednesday.

When reached by telephone Wednesday evening, the family of McKinnon-Blomme asked for privacy.

On a Facebook page where family has regularly provided updates in the search for McKinnon-Blomme, they announced his death on Wednesday.

“It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of Justin. Justin was loved and cared for by many people. Words can not express how grateful we are for the support of every single person. At this time, the family is asking for some privacy as we deal with the loss of Justin. Thank you again for all of your love and support,” stated the post.

Family and police have previously said that on the night he disappeared, McKinnon-Blomme got into a fight at a house party. A 20-year-old man has since been charged by police in relation to the incident.

A missing persons poster for McKinnon-Blomme says that when the vehicle he was in came to a red light, McKinnon-Blomme got out of the car “feeling depressed” and headed down an alley toward Macleod Trail.

speedog
03-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by roopi
Didn't see if there was an original thread on this when he went missing. Can't believe he was in this tree that long in a yard. :confused:

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/body-found-in-tree-in-acadia-yard-police-investigating

Why?

We've got mature 60+ year old fir trees in our front yard and I don't make a habit of looking up in them. If someone opted to climb up into such a tree and wedge themselves tight up in the upper parts where it would be difficult to see that person from the outer view of the tree or from underneath and especially so if the lower branches went all the way to the ground, then I can easily understand a homeowner not knowing there might be a body up in a tree on their property.

The real question is why the young man came to be where he was - was he running from something/someone and decided that hiding in a tree would be his best bet at avoiding being caught? At the very south end of Alberni Road, there are a couple of coniferous tress that one could easily hide in. What will be interesting will be hearing of what the cause of death was.

P_D
03-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Why?

We've got mature 60+ year old fir trees in our front yard and I don't make a habit of looking up in them. If someone opted to climb up into such a tree and wedge themselves tight up in the upper parts where it would be difficult to see that person from the outer view of the tree or from underneath and especially so if the lower branches went all the way to the ground, then I can easily understand a homeowner not knowing there might be a body up in a tree on their property.

The real question is why the young man came to be where he was - was he running from something/someone and decided that hiding in a tree would be his best bet at avoiding being caught? At the very south end of Alberni Road, there are a couple of coniferous tress that one could easily hide in. What will be interesting will be hearing of what the cause of death was.

Dude was fapping mark my words

GQBalla
03-26-2015, 09:25 AM
how is that not suspicious? I can see someone climbing up a tree for whatever reason, so why did he stay up there? Was he killed while he was up there?

C_Dave45
03-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Hung himself. That's the only time police will say a death isn't suspicious, is when it's an obvious suicide.
That poor family. I can't imagine the pain they're going through losing a son at such a young age. I've dealt with serious depression in the family and it's a terrifying ordeal.
I lost a contractor friend who did the same thing. Went out to a tree and hung himself.

speedog
03-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by P_D
Dude was fapping mark my words
Not cool, not cool at all.

Tik-Tok
03-26-2015, 10:03 AM
He didn't need to climb a tree a be hidden in one either. If you take a look at the location, there's a tree that branches cover it all the way to the ground. Would be a good spot to get out of the wind for a minute, and pass out in the cold?

It doesn't say they exact house, but if he got out at Acadia/Southland, and "went down the alley towards Macleod" (along the sound barrier I presume), then this is the likely spot he ended up.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.964268,-114.054655,3a,75y,348.13h,80.03t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swXezrJ6WISEqN9_msStwEA!2e0

Offroad
03-26-2015, 12:50 PM
I'd think the smell would have attracted attention a lot earlier since its been so warrm for weeks

speedog
03-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Smell - may have not smelled at all. I remember coming upon dead cows in my youth, cows that had been dead for a while and there was virtually no detectable smell. They may have bloated like crazy but it wasn't until the skin was compromised that one would really get a whiff.

Ca_Silvia13
03-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Suicide could be correct. A lady in my office knows his family through a friend of a friend. The family lives in Chapparal, not Acadia.

That being said, why would you let your friend out of your car after a party 10kms from home? I bet the friend who was driving was the one who was charged.

01RedDX
03-26-2015, 01:15 PM

Ca_Silvia13
03-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Charged with what, not driving someone home? No, I'm pretty sure the guy charged was the guy who beat him up at the party. This guy was upset/depressed and climbed the tree to kill himself. Good thing they found him before it got really warm.

TBH, no idea. But if you let someone walk home 10kms in -30*C and they died. Would you not be charged? I'm honestly asking...

Tik-Tok
03-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

TBH, no idea. But if you let someone walk home 10kms in -30*C and they died. Would you not be charged? I'm honestly asking...

I highly doubt it. Unless you purposefully kicked them out, knowing harm would come to them.

jwslam
03-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
If you let someone walk home 10kms in -30°C and they died. Would you not be charged? I'm honestly asking...
By that logic there's many a bus driver that could be charged i.e. girl gets off bus and has to walk 3km home but gets raped part way, you charge the driver because you didn't catch the rapist...

Swank
03-26-2015, 02:01 PM
First thing that came to mind was poor Edgar from Tremors. Very unusual situation here though, at least the family finally has some closure.

NoPulp
03-26-2015, 04:38 PM
What is with all these really strange young deaths that the police say are not suspicious?

Tik-Tok
03-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
What is with all these really strange young deaths that the police say are not suspicious?

Originally posted by C_Dave45
That's the only time police will say a death isn't suspicious, is when it's an obvious suicide.

NoPulp
03-26-2015, 04:43 PM
So the kid at SAIT, the person at the mall... and so on were all suicide? i doubt that.

msommers
03-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Wonder if he was incredibly drunk or high, and already had premeditated ideas about suicide and that pushed him over the edge to act on them. It sounds like he left the vehicle at a light and ran....why?

speedog
03-26-2015, 04:55 PM
So the kid at SAIT, the person at the mall... and so on were all suicide? i doubt that.
There are probably far more suicides happening than you would like to believe.

msommers
03-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Very sad and true. Add missing persons, it's pretty shitty.

C_Dave45
03-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Alberta suicide rates among the highest in Canada (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-suicide-rates-among-the-highest-in-canada-1.1190105)

The number of people in Alberta who commit suicide each year is among the highest in the country, according to the Canadian Mental Health Association.

In 2011, an estimated 500 people took their own lives in this province

That's almost 10 suicides every single week!!

roll_over
03-26-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm not going to post my source but he hung himself so we can only assume suicide

JRSC00LUDE
03-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Poor guy. Sometimes there are second chances but, not for everyone.