PDA

View Full Version : Future Shop Closes Doors In Canada

Pages : [1] 2

FraserB
03-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Future Shop has closed down in Canada, consolidating under the Best Buy brand.

http://www.am980.ca/2015/03/28/future-shop-stores-close-across-canada/

Hopefully this means that the warranties and whatnot are still going to be honored at Best Buy for Future Shop products.

Redlined_8000
03-28-2015, 07:54 AM
damm!!! Does this mean some of the current future shop locations will turn into best buy? I hope so.... the Shawnessy future shop is so Convenient.

EDIT: yup they will convert some stores. Lol guess I should read

GTS4tw
03-28-2015, 07:57 AM
Damn, Future Shop and Best Buy are only a couple of blocks apart here. Guess that means they are gone and another mall here gets closer to being totally empty.

Target and Futureshop in the same mall, so much real estate that's gotta hurt.

BigMass
03-28-2015, 08:03 AM
BB and Futureshop are often close together so expect tons of store closings and very few conversions. Less product selection as, even though the same company, FS and BB often had some small product differences allowing for some sort of selection which will now be lost. The amount of layoffs will be huge. Another negative is that FS is a big box store and takes up so much space that the real estate will remain empty for a long time just like Target. So much empty huge retail coming on the market during a recession like Calgary is experiencing now will be a huge negative on our economy. Not good at all.

J.M.
03-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Damn this sucks, I actually didn't mind going into Future Shop every now and then.

NoPulp
03-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Well this sucks... In Lethbridge they're across the street from each other. They actually had a lot of different product, for example FS has a huge car audio section and BB had nothing.

eblend
03-28-2015, 08:11 AM
The article says that futureshop.ca site was unavailable, just went there, no mention of anything like this..

Regardless, if they close the one in Shawnessy I sure as hell won't be making special trips to Deerfoot Meadows to buy random small shit, I will just buy online or shop elsewhere.

ZenOps
03-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Iconic Canadian tech store. Sure they occasionally had seedy business practices, but hey - so were most other electronics stores through the decades.

I wonder if they will have a blowout sale, or if their inventory will simply be absorbed by bestbuy.

Kijho
03-28-2015, 08:33 AM
I was looking at some sales on FS's website in one tab -- checking up the morning news in another tab..... :eek: This definitely sucks, I liked FS!

Bestbuy's has always seemed so... un-organized.. ?

firebane
03-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Best Buy or Future Shop can't remember which closed down a bunch of stores a couple of years ago and this really isn't surprising.

I don't recall the last time I stepped inside a FS or BB.

birdman86
03-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Damn...I always preferred FS over BB. Does anyone know if this is effective immediately? I've got to go in for a price match refund thing....

dirtsniffer
03-28-2015, 08:52 AM
I always thought they carried the same over priced crap. Maybe bought a movie from them once in a while.

Memory express any day.

blairtruck
03-28-2015, 08:53 AM
i was in futureshop on thursday. it was dead. the car audio section had one deck. and speakers were like 5 years old and never dusted. i walked thru the whole store and never once was asked if i needed help.
i don't find a difference between fs or bb. just the fs are closer.

bulaian
03-28-2015, 09:13 AM
After some 33 years as one of Canada’s largest electronics retailer, Future Shop will be closing http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/03/28/future-shop-is-closing-downdown.

This morning, Future Shop owner Best Buy, which purchased the Canadian retailer in 2001 for $580 million, announced that it will close down 66 of Future Shop’s 131 retail locations. The remaining 65 will be temporarily closed before being reopened as new Best Buy locations.

The company decided to pursue this course of action after it did an internal review of its Canadian locations and found that many of its Best Buy and Future Shop locations were located next to one another.

As a result of the closures, 500 full-time and 1000 part-time employees will lose their jobs. Best Buy says the affected individuals will receive severance, employee assistance and outplacement support, though it hasn’t said exactly how generous any of these will be.

“Any decisions that impact our people are never taken lightly; our first priority is to support them through this change,” said Ron Wilson, the president and COO of Best Buy Canada, in a press release. “I want to express my appreciation to the employees who are leaving, for their contributions to Best Buy Canada.”

After it finishes the cull, Best Buy will have 192 locations across Canada, including 56 dedicated mobile stores.

If there’s any silver lining to this news, it’s that Best Buy locations will accept any Future Shop gift cards Canadians may have lying around. Additionally, the company will also honour any existing product orders, pre-orders, service appointments and warranty claims.

We’ll update this article as we learn more.

lilmira
03-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by bulaian

The company decided to pursue this course of action after it did an internal review of its Canadian locations and found that many of its Best Buy and Future Shop locations were located next to one another.

No way, I never realize that they are right next to each other.

firebane
03-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

No way, I never realize that they are right next to each other.

Yeah no shit you can't tell me the execs didn't know this. Sounds like an excuse to do cut backs in a dying market.

16hypen3sp
03-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Kind of a shame in a way... Last thing I bought from FS was Destiny. FS in Red Deer always had way smoother and less busy midnight releases so I usually went there for that sort of thing. Always BB for pretty much everything else.

Back when I had my RSX, I wanted an aftermarket stereo and went to BB for an install quote and it seemed way too high. Went down the street to FS and it was done that day for half the price.

I figured this was going to happen eventually.

dj_rice
03-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Futureshop always had cheaper pricing on items than Best Buy some cases even when it was the same company.

HiTempguy1
03-28-2015, 09:55 AM
I always found it odd how there were futureshops and bestbuys next to each other.

Of course, they actually did carry different stock. Things like computers and tv's and appliances, typically each store minimized overlap.

Futureshop was definitely better though. What excites me is that if BB went too far in the culling, a place like memory express or ncix could scoop up a HUGE market share. Blows my mind memex isnt in Red Deer yet, the market is huge there compared to shitty-ass compusoft lol

AE92_TreunoSC
03-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Makes lots of sense but still big news.

I always hated dealing with future shops in the North growing up, I always went to BB first then checked FS if BB didn't have what I wanted.

Sucks that it means more layoffs in our province.

jwslam
03-28-2015, 09:59 AM
They must be saving so much money on the Aeroplan royalties now that you can only collect BB Reward Zone points: Oh and they recently cut their Bestbuy Chase Visa too.

eglove
03-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Definitely part of growing up in Canada if you were a tech geek. It's sad. It does make sense but it feels wrong that it's gone. Should have just shuttered all the best buys and kept the futureshop name for Canada

revelations
03-28-2015, 10:41 AM
More people buying tech products online - inevitable results.

shakalaka
03-28-2015, 10:47 AM
I always thought it was pointless having two big stores like BB and FS when it had the same owners. It made no sense, so I am not too surprised that this is happening. FS had different practices a little bit like they had commission and BB didn't. It doesn't really matter to me either way. I preferred BB over FS anyway since you didn't get the same sales pressure you did at FS.

Masked Bandit
03-28-2015, 10:57 AM
I'm surprised it took this long. Once BB bought FS I thought they would have started this process almost right away. Places like Deerfoot Meadows where there was one of each screamed incompetent executive management.

D'z Nutz
03-28-2015, 11:08 AM
I haven't been to Futureshop in years. I much preferred Best Buy because they seemed like pushy and sleazy because they didn't peddle the PSP as hard.

Tik-Tok
03-28-2015, 11:30 AM
I used to prefer bestbuy, for that exact reason, however over the years I noticed Future shop always had more of what I wanted in stock, was tidier, and realized the FS sales guys were way less pushy if you just told them you didn't any need help.

At bestbuy, if you told one guy you didn't need help, at least 3 others would ask you, and then go on to their prepared speech about how they don't make commission.

kenny
03-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I always thought it was pointless having two big stores like BB and FS when it had the same owners. It made no sense, so I am not too surprised that this is happening. FS had different practices a little bit like they had commission and BB didn't. It doesn't really matter to me either way. I preferred BB over FS anyway since you didn't get the same sales pressure you did at FS.

Maybe now it doesn't make sense (hence the closing) but immediately after the buyout majority of consumers had no clue they were essentially the same store. When I worked there, people would cross-shop TVs at FS and BB so in the end BB has captured the dollar already from competitors like Visions. I'm willing to bet there are many people just finding out today that they are the same company.

Same strategy employed by the Telcos with their smaller brands and with Dining/Entertainment in Calgary. All the different brands make it look like there is a lot of choice in the marketplace, and it works very well. I'll use rage2 as an example, he hates Rush and vows to never support them but he'll go and dine out at Vintage. Money is going into the same wallet :rofl:

cycosis
03-28-2015, 11:33 AM
So is my extended xbox one warranty garbage now?

They released a strategy a few months back stating they were converting their stores to half size, with half of the square footage dedicated to online warehousing order fulfillment.

Too bad it went tits up so quick. I did find they were better merchandised than BB.

Anyone know if this will help bring down our ridiculously high lease rates for commercial space? Or am naively hopeful?

Ed the SOHC
03-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Oh this sucks. Now, I have to drive further to browse for tech products and then buy them online. :rofl:

Graham_A_M
03-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Sweet, time to see what kind of deals they have on car and home audio. Good riddance. Asides from huge items like TV ' S and fridges, why anyone would shop there is besides me. I haven't been to FS in probably 5 years now.

Black Gts
03-28-2015, 01:30 PM
I don't think there liquidating, it's all going to best buy no deals unfortunately.

R!zz0
03-28-2015, 01:33 PM
I hope they don't close the one on Beacon hill, but i know they will because that store is always dead.

eglove
03-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Sweet, time to see what kind of deals they have on car and home audio. Good riddance. Asides from huge items like TV ' S and fridges, why anyone would shop there is besides me. I haven't been to FS in probably 5 years now.

They are closed effectively immediately. Not open to the public until the rebranded ones open.

dj_rice
03-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Theres no deals brah. They just closed their doors for re-branding. The FS near my area had all windows newspaperd up and the whole parking lot had metal fences and construction equipment already there.

Thaco
03-28-2015, 02:18 PM
gotta work fast if they only want 1 week downtime

bourge73
03-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Well hmmm I just ordered a bed like two
days ago for my son. Wondering if I'll have an issues hmmm
Might be time to give their "awesome" customer service
center in the Phillipines a rangle.

roopi
03-28-2015, 02:28 PM
I preferred the sales staff at FS. They would give great discounts on TV's to get the sale. I always felt at BB it was buy if you want for the price listed i'm getting paid anyways to stand around.

spikerS
03-28-2015, 02:36 PM
kinda sad to see the Coventry FS won't be reopening. Closest BB they want me to go to according to the sign on their door is Northland mall... That's a bit of a trek.

I like this FS because I could go in there, and work out some decent deals, and their staff was always pretty friendly.

baygirl
03-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
I hope they don't close the one on Beacon hill, but i know they will because that store is always dead.
If you go to Best Buy store locator it now says Future Shop Beacon Hill operated by Best Buy. Don't know if that means anything.

Thales of Miletus
03-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

If you go to Best Buy store locator it now says Future Shop Beacon Hill operated by Best Buy. Don't know if that means anything.

It means Best Buy is Future Shops parent company.

I think this event really demonstrates the failure of current economic policies. Policies that suggest that it is corporate welfare that helps an economy thrive. Corporations need a middle class that spends money. So continually leaning on the middle class, bashing union, and bashing working people, will lead to economic ruin.

BandW
03-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus
I think this event really demonstrates the failure of current economic policies. Policies that suggest that it is corporate welfare that helps an economy thrive. Corporations need a middle class that spends money. So continually leaning on the middle class, bashing union, and bashing working people, will lead to economic ruin.

I think that is a bit of stretch.

Future Shop hasn't been terribly competitive in a number of areas for some time.

For example, pretty much everyone I know bought their desktop and laptop computers from Memory Express. Better prices, better selection, and top-notch service.

CanmoreOrLess
03-28-2015, 03:41 PM
It's all my fault, ordering everything online for delivery to my door. Blame me for valuing my time and money. Shut every retail store down as far as I am concerned and put up a parking lot. The car dealers can join this march to the sound of a Radio Shack drummer. Who needs them?

AE92_TreunoSC
03-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Just at northland, kind of odd to see it closed, hits home when you see it in person.

Best buy customer service desks are going to hammered haha.

Not sure what is going to take over the Coventry location, I used it to price match other stores all the time, saved me a lot of driving!

FraserB
03-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

It means Best Buy is Future Shops parent company.

No it doesn't.

It demonstrates what happens when you can't keep stock on the shelves, compete against yourself and don't have the best prices around.

MGCM
03-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
It's all my fault, ordering everything online for delivery to my door. Blame me for valuing my time and money. Shut every retail store down as far as I am concerned and put up a parking lot. The car dealers can join this march to the sound of a Radio Shack drummer. Who needs them?

as long as these parking lots are cleared to use for auto-x/drifting events ect:thumbsup:

ZenOps
03-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Its tough to compete with online, especially considering most places have free shipping to door with small minimums.

That, and I don't have to hunt the shelves looking for a N to RP-SMA converter or a two meter long HDTV antenna - which could take a solid fifteen minutes and still come home empty handed.

In the early days of Futureshop the sales associates were making ridiculous bank - it was right up there with dentist.

birdman86
03-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
So is my extended xbox one warranty garbage now?

It'll just be covered by BB now, I just got them to do a price match on something I bought last week at FS. So basically FS is just being renamed as far as warranties and stuff go.

Thales of Miletus
03-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

No it doesn't.

It demonstrates what happens when you can't keep stock on the shelves, compete against yourself and don't have the best prices around.

Todays economics are like Predator Prey interaction in Australia.

J.M.
03-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Was in Deerfoot Meadows earlier today and the FS there had signs all over the doors saying it was closed permanently. Stopped by Best Buy while I was in the area and it was pretty dead lol. Pretty much walked in and walked back out.

Xtrema
03-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Last 5 years, I don't think I ever bought anything from physical store other than price match stuff.

eblend
03-28-2015, 10:35 PM
I see lots of people praise MemoryExpress, and I shop there a lot as well for all my computer parts and stuff, but one thing that I don't like about MemEx and is one of the reasons why I don't buy some things there is their piss poor 7 day return policy. If I buy something there I pretty much make sure it's exactly what I want. Once I bought a laptop in Futureshop, brought it home, and didn't like it after a few days, just couldn't get used to it. Took it back and returned no questions asked. With MemEx being a smaller shop I always feel kind of trapped, perhaps because it's fairly far away from me and I have to make a trip there, twice in 7 days, should I need to return something.

I don't shop at FutureShop often, but I would drop by and buy some games or whatnot if on sale. The best thing about Futureshop is they have many locations, so it's pretty convenient, and can pretty much find stock of what you need somewhere in the city, and free shipping online also helps, don't believe mem-ex has that. I usually do the in-store pickup at mem-ex, and the 48 hours you get is also pretty inconvenient for me, as something is on sale and then I have to find a way to get there within a few days to pick it up, same policy at futureshop, but at least it has convenient locations.

R!zz0
03-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by baygirl

I don't mind Best Buy. I'll still miss FS though :(

Neil4Speed
03-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Just at northland, kind of odd to see it closed, hits home when you see it in person.

Best buy customer service desks are going to hammered haha.

Not sure what is going to take over the Coventry location, I used it to price match other stores all the time, saved me a lot of driving!

I had the same experience seeing Northland FS closed... Kind of end of an era. I really enjoyed going to that store and the previous one.

I preferred FS to BB, they carried some different product (Pioneer Elite, Martin Logan), and kind of liked how it was a bit "unrefined" compared to BB. Sales staff would be swearing on the floor, you could haggle a bit on TV's, speakers etc.

I too was surprised they existed as seperate entities for so long. I guess you have to give them credit for that.

BensonTT
03-29-2015, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by eblend
I see lots of people praise MemoryExpress, and I shop there a lot as well for all my computer parts and stuff, but one thing that I don't like about MemEx and is one of the reasons why I don't buy some things there is their piss poor 7 day return policy. If I buy something there I pretty much make sure it's exactly what I want. Once I bought a laptop in Futureshop, brought it home, and didn't like it after a few days, just couldn't get used to it. Took it back and returned no questions asked. With MemEx being a smaller shop I always feel kind of trapped, perhaps because it's fairly far away from me and I have to make a trip there, twice in 7 days, should I need to return something.

I don't shop at FutureShop often, but I would drop by and buy some games or whatnot if on sale. The best thing about Futureshop is they have many locations, so it's pretty convenient, and can pretty much find stock of what you need somewhere in the city, and free shipping online also helps, don't believe mem-ex has that. I usually do the in-store pickup at mem-ex, and the 48 hours you get is also pretty inconvenient for me, as something is on sale and then I have to find a way to get there within a few days to pick it up, same policy at futureshop, but at least it has convenient locations.

I agree.. When you try to return something at ME.. They treat you like you are a criminal or something.. LOL

R!zz0
03-29-2015, 11:51 AM
I like Best Buy because they carry Klipsch and Visions because they carry Kef. I'm still sad to see Future Shop close it's doors.

btimbit
03-29-2015, 12:02 PM
I liked future shop but can't really say I ever went there much Other than to browse. Boxing day sales 3 years ago might have been the last time, and that was from their website.

Cos
03-29-2015, 12:39 PM

Sugarphreak
03-29-2015, 08:08 PM

BensonTT
03-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

They sold sub-par electronics and computers, they were usually staffed by kids, and there is better places to buy pretty much everything they sell.

LoL Oh yeah? Where?

colsankey
03-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Memory Express?

Thaco
03-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT

LoL Oh yeah? Where? buy it from amazon at half the price.

BensonTT
03-29-2015, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
buy it from amazon at half the price.

LOL, you're delusional if you think everything on Amazon is cheaper haha

Thaco
03-29-2015, 08:47 PM

LOL, you're delusional if you think everything on Amazon is cheaper haha everything i have ever looked for.

for example today i was looking for this

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/blue-microphones-blue-microphones-yeti-usb-microphone-black-2070/10361788.aspx?path=26f231c2365f2dc257964fb440d6ef4een02

http://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Microphones-2056-Microphone-Black/dp/B00D7EJ584/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427683617&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+yeti

Not half, but $30 is pretty substantial. 20% of the item..

BensonTT
03-29-2015, 08:52 PM
LoL am not saying that you won't find cheaper items on Amazon but NOT everything is cheaper!

Thaco
03-29-2015, 08:55 PM
LoL am not saying that you won't find cheaper items on Amazon but NOT everything is cheaper! 99%, i have yet to find something cheaper, or even the same price from fs/bb

AE92_TreunoSC
03-29-2015, 09:19 PM
I like being able to return expensive purchases to distributors without hassle, Amazon works for me for a lot of things, but major electronics I'll pay a premium for store service.

Kijho
03-29-2015, 09:27 PM
Memex for computers (and all peripherals) they even have home automation and security stuff.
Vistek or TCS for more pricy camera gear (note: always bring a price match)
Visions has decent car audio and alarms / starters etc (if they're still around? I thought so?)
Apple Store anything Apple

Which leaves BestBuy for "everything" else (as it too covers everything above).

Online for other stuff.

The real shitty thing??? Coventry / Beacon locations were awesome, I could walk to Coventry location. I used to always go buy DVDs from there (new releases I really wanted perhaps) Now I gotta drive apt farther for any of the above, or BB is in... Northland 20 min drive. Crappy!

Tik-Tok
03-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Kijho

The real shitty thing??? Coventry / Beacon locations were awesome

The newer Macleod Trail Future Shop was fucking amazing, no one ever went there. I walked in at 10am on boxing day, and walked out 15 minutes later with a TV :rofl:

cyra1ax
03-29-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm actually surprised the Coventry location closed, it got alot of business from the Airdrie people too. Just looked at the BB retail location map and there's just a massive hole in the NE end of the city.

theken
03-29-2015, 10:48 PM
damn, I prefer fs to bb 10 fold, seem like nicer stores, less grungy.

schocker
03-30-2015, 09:48 AM
The real shitty thing??? Coventry / Beacon locations were awesome, I could walk to Coventry location. I used to always go buy DVDs from there (new releases I really wanted perhaps) Now I gotta drive apt farther for any of the above, or BB is in... Northland 20 min drive. Crappy!
beacon hill is turning into a bestbuy tho......

Kijho
03-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by schocker

beacon hill is turning into a bestbuy tho......

Was this posted on a list somewhere? (Maybe showing all the stores that will be converting or not converting?)

Thanks,

eglove
03-30-2015, 10:43 AM
AFAIK

Sunridge closed
Deerfoot closed
Coventry closed
Northland closed

Beacon Hill - converted
Shawnessy - converted - all new staff - everyone was let go

R!zz0
03-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
99%, i have yet to find something cheaper, or even the same price from fs/bb

Lets say they send you the wrong item, do you pay for the shipping when you return it?

CapnCrunch
03-30-2015, 12:19 PM

Lets say they send you the wrong item, do you pay for the shipping when you return it?

No.

J.M.
03-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Amazon's return policy is pretty sick, IIRC they'll send you a shipping label to print off if they ship the wrong item to you and you have to return it.

FixedGear
03-30-2015, 01:00 PM

I buy almost everything from US Amazon, spent tens of thousands of dollars with them, and they have never sent me the wrong item.

But i've made returns, never been charged for shipping once.

killramos
03-30-2015, 01:11 PM
I really wish that the shopping experience of Future Shop was good enough that i could be disappointed they closed.

However I am not.

I'm not sure i have been disappointed more times than at any other store. Be it customer service, online services, store cleanliness ( its an electronic store FFS, i have seen cleaner rally circuits), inventory stock, honoring pre orders. I could go on and on. All from stores literally across the country. One end to the other.

These days i only ever used them after exhausting all other options.

Best buy isn't without its faults. But at least they haven't screwed me near as many times.

schocker
03-30-2015, 01:38 PM
Was this posted on a list somewhere? (Maybe showing all the stores that will be converting or not converting?)

Thanks,
If you go on the bb website and check locations it is listed. I can double check later if I head over to costco though.

BigDL
03-30-2015, 01:43 PM
On CBC's article there was a map that listed the changes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/future-shop-in-alberta-what-s-closing-what-s-changing-1.3013813

Projek01
03-30-2015, 01:58 PM
When I worked at BB a number of years back, they kept both brands for only one reason. It was to capture a bigger market share by allowing customers to "shop arround" because the stores were so close together and end up spending their money in either store. Customers will usually check these two stores and think they did the smart thing.

Now that the interwebs is so easily accessible, people will shop around in a matter of minutes and customers wont have to drive 20mins to check other stores.

Not too many good sales people will stick around at Best Buy. It's non commissioned but the pressure to sell is still there. Reps consistently got harassed if we did not hit warranty and profit margin ratios.

Perfect Dark
03-30-2015, 02:43 PM
I wonder what will go into that space in Coventry, it's pretty large.

Thaco
03-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark
I wonder what will go into that space in Coventry, it's pretty large. they are all pretty large as are sobeys/safeway vacancies, and target vacancies, the retail rental market is gonna be pretty soft for a while.

Bladeh
03-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Futureshop was definitely better though. What excites me is that if BB went too far in the culling, a place like memory express or ncix could scoop up a HUGE market share. Blows my mind memex isnt in Red Deer yet, the market is huge there compared to shitty-ass compusoft lol

Yeah I would love a Memory Express in Red Deer, lots of money to be made, Haven't been in Compusoft for years. The customer service in FS in Red Deer was always better, think they only hired teenagers at BB.

Mitsu3000gt
03-30-2015, 03:44 PM
It's about time they do this. I can only imagine what the cost is of having 2 identical stores but with different signage, themes, etc.

Most BestBuy's are almost right beside the Future Shops anyway, pointless to have 2 stores. IMO this is a good move but one they should have done in the beginning.

eglove
03-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Just sucks there is a huge gap now in coverage only leaves beacon hill, northland, deerfoot meadows and shawnessy.

JRSC00LUDE
03-30-2015, 04:09 PM
I can't even remember the last time I was in a FutureShop or Best Buy. :dunno:

Thaco
03-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I can't even remember the last time I was in a FutureShop or Best Buy. :dunno: this... i need to go there because i traded a guy for some futureshop cards, i didn't really want them but i just needed to make space... now i have to figure out what to waste the gc's on.. i'll probably order online, lol.

TomcoPDR
03-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Kinda unrelated, but yet related.

Sporting Life is putting in this new building on Southcentre mall north end parking lot, kinda funny they could had utilized the Futureshop spaces.

Curious to see what they're thinking doing such a move trying to get into Western Cdn. What makes them greater than Sport Mart, current Sportchek, etc... what vision are they seeing in Cgy market?

schocker
03-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Kinda unrelated, but yet related.

Sporting Life is putting in this new building on Southcentre mall north end parking lot, kinda funny they could had utilized the Futureshop spaces.

Curious to see what they're thinking doing such a move trying to get into Western Cdn. What makes them greater than Sport Mart, current Sportchek, etc... what vision are they seeing in Cgy market?
I have bought some stuff from them online. They have a much wider selection than sportcheck. Hopefully they open something up in the NW....like northland.

theken
03-31-2015, 01:30 AM
we need a dicks sporting goods, with their prices.

bjstare
03-31-2015, 07:47 AM
^Or a PGA superstore. haha

masoncgy
03-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by eglove
Just sucks there is a huge gap now in coverage only leaves beacon hill, northland, deerfoot meadows and shawnessy.

Northland & Deerfoot Meadows got the axe too...

eglove
03-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

Northland & Deerfoot Meadows got the axe too...

Uh, the best buys are still there

Tik-Tok
03-31-2015, 02:37 PM

Uh, the best buys are still there

Well they still should have turned the FS stoes into Bestbuys :rofl:

NoSup4U
03-31-2015, 03:04 PM

....and West Hills, and Sunridge, and downtown 17th....:dunno:

I always found them to be the exact same store, just with different colored shirts.

If it was out of stock at BestBuy, just go to Future Shop.

If it was on sale at one, price match, or wait a week and it would be on sale at the other.

J.M.
03-31-2015, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Well they still should have turned the FS stoes into Bestbuys :rofl:

2 best buys in deerfoot meadows then lol

frizzlefry
03-31-2015, 06:08 PM
Still blows my mind that Best Buy didn't close all futureshop locations when they bought them. Online is awesome for a planned purchases but if you have a device that died past the warranty (typically one year) then you want a brick and mortar location to get it replaced immediately. Location is irrelevant. You will drive there to get it. Memory express is awesome but anyone in the know also knows this so I find they are often out of stock on the good stuff. IE my router died, I wanted a decent one, preferably an ASUS that I could load merlin on. Memory express out of stock, online only. Memory express never seems to have the good shit in stock at their physical locations when I want it. Tons available at best buy.

Most people go shopping for new gear to replace dead equipment IMO and you need brick and mortar to do so. If you are a latest and greatest kinda person then you hit K&W or something. So it never made sense that they kept futureshop locations open. Stock a few best buy stores to the brim and people with drive there.

Xtrema
03-31-2015, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Still blows my mind that Best Buy didn't close all futureshop locations when they bought them.

I think it's one of the condition of the purchase at least that's what I remembered. Nothing to back this up.