PDA

View Full Version : CJ92 & The new 107.3

legendboy
03-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Is it just me or do they seem to be competing on who can play the shittiest music lately?

sputnik
03-09-2004, 02:27 PM
What do you listen to? Have you ever considered that people have different tastes in music?

Personally I think Vibe 98.5, Lite 96 and Country 105 are the top 3 worst stations in Calgary.

gwkwan
03-09-2004, 02:29 PM
CJ is not bad
what the hell r u talkin about?

davidI
03-09-2004, 02:36 PM
C Jay is what I listen to. They repeat a lot of the songs and what not but it's not even close to as bad in that regards as Vibe. I love classic rock and rap and unfortunately there is no real rap station in Calgary. Vibe plays weak R&B style hip-hop. Whenever I'm in California I'm amazed at how good their stations are. They play songs with swears and everything but just chime them out with musical instruments. I heard all sorts of great 2 Pac, Biggie, Ludacris, DMX, Busta Rhymes, Wyclef Jean, Nas, Ice Cube.....songs that actually have beat. Oh well, I guess I'll stick to my .mp3 cd's :(

QuasarCav
03-09-2004, 02:52 PM
You see the marketing.

Cjay and Q are owned ny the same company, so cjay tries to stir the ratings by playing oldies,

Vibe is picking up the poppy music that 107 played, and jack.......

Is still plain crap (except for phil collins:tongue: )

rage2
03-09-2004, 03:09 PM
I listen to QR77 and listen to people call in and argue over stupid stuff. It's like reading beyond while I'm driving!

gwkwan
03-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I listen to QR77 and listen to people call in and argue over stupid stuff. It's like reading beyond while I'm driving!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
damn those SRT-4 thread
haha

misty
03-09-2004, 03:33 PM
cj isn't bad, but calgary needs a new rock station. I'm from nanaimo and I had three good rock stations to choose from there (one from victoria and two from vancouver). cj plays far too much old stuff, not that i don't like classic rock, but i never used to listen to any before and I swear i know the words to half the songs cj plays now. In regards to Vibe, i want to scream every time one of their djs come on (needless to say i rarely listen to them).

Akagi Redsuns
03-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
You see the marketing.

Cjay and Q are owned ny the same company, so cjay tries to stir the ratings by playing oldies,

Vibe is picking up the poppy music that 107 played, and jack.......

....snip

I think you got the parent companies mixed up. CJAY and Vibe are owned by Standard Radio Inc. ( http://www.standardradio.com/ ) where as Q (formerly Power 107) is owned by Corus Entertainment ( http://www.corusent.com/ )

QuasarCav
03-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

I think you got the parent companies mixed up. CJAY and Vibe are owned by Standard Radio Inc. ( http://www.standardradio.com/ ) where as Q (formerly Power 107) is owned by Corus Entertainment ( http://www.corusent.com/ )

Sorry!

Thanks for clearing that up, i was under the impression it was all standard radio.

Doesn't change anything though:thumbsdow

403Gemini
03-09-2004, 04:35 PM
has anybody wondered why vibe is playing evanescence lately? wtf is up with that

legendboy
03-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I've been listining to QR77 lately to. I guess thats what happens when you get old :rofl:

dj_honda
03-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
has anybody wondered why vibe is playing evanescence lately? wtf is up with that

they are no longer "todays hottest hip hop and r&b" but now they are "todays hottest music"....basically give it a month or 2 and they will be a top 40 station...kind of like kiss 969 used to be back like 4-5 years ago..with the whole live from the club thing at night.

egmike
03-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Calgary needs a rock alternative station that plays less old shit, dont get me wrong I dont not like it but like the newer stuff better

GTS Jeff
03-09-2004, 06:56 PM
no one listens to the radio for "good music"...thats when u buy cds or download your own music. the radio is around for news, weather, sports, and preteens.

AquamosH
03-09-2004, 07:03 PM

:rofl: Couldn't have put it better myself.

Originally posted by legendboy
I've been listining to QR77 lately to.

:werd: I got sick of listening to the same songs every 15 min. When I want music, I've got my CDs.

bunos
03-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Q has a really good concept. But they gotto stop the stupid Q-ads after every damn song. Also, they say they play "Deep" track, but so far I am still hearing the same old hits. I'm totally in favour of a good rock/metal station so let's get this thing rollin people.

IMO CJ-92 lost it's edge in the late nineties. Remember 107 KICK FM back in the day? That was a good rock station.

finboy
03-09-2004, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by legendboy
I've been listining to QR77 lately to. I guess thats what happens when you get old :rofl:

Originally posted by AquamosH

:rofl: Couldn't have put it better myself.

:werd: I got sick of listening to the same songs every 15 min. When I want music, I've got my CDs.

i thought i was the only one :clap:

i find 94.7 to be quite entertaining, esspecially when cruising down 17th ave with it blaring. i don't understand a word they're saying, but i still find comedy in it. :rofl:

Xtrema
03-10-2004, 12:20 PM
QR77 and my CDs are all that plays in my ride these days. They need Howard Stern in Calgary's market to stir things up.

Calgary radio is just weak.

rage2
03-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
QR77 and my CDs are all that plays in my ride these days. They need Howard Stern in Calgary's market to stir things up.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

No doubt man, with howard stern on the radio here, it'd be the end of all radio stations. I heard they tried to bring his show to the radio here a few years ago, but some parents bitched, objected and protested, and those plans were cancelled. Not all hope is lost though, there's talks of Howard Stern moving to XM or Sirius satellite radio (which we can get... not legally hehe) since he just got cut from several major markets thanks to FCC and Janet Jackson's nipple.

I'm glad I'm not the only one listening to QR77 haha. Their traffic reports rule too during rush hour.

Xtrema
03-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Like Howard always say, if you don't like what you hear, turn it off. All these whiney house wives always ruin it for everyone.

C4S
03-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Try 103.1 that is probaby the best overall station .. :)

Xtrema
03-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Try 103.1 that is probaby the best overall station .. :)

Only if you want to fall asleep.... FAST.

Too many repeat anyhow. I'm sure there're more music they can play.

thich
03-10-2004, 02:10 PM
i'm a QR77 listener too! :thumbsup:

02bump'nWRX
03-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Cj is wicked compared to what i'm use to. If you;ve ever listend to a red deer station you will aprreciate every station in calgary that much more. Z99 and big105 are about the two worst stations knowen to man kind:barf:

Mckenzie
03-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Q107.3 is probably the best station to come to this city in years. Finally there is no more teen-bopper crap on the radio.

I like how the play all of the b sides and full albums....lots of Zep, Rolling Stones, Floyd, Sabbath, the Doors, Hendrix....its great!

And finally CJ is playing some different stuff too....they are trying to compete for the older crowd by playing more oldies.:thumbsup:

finboy
03-14-2004, 03:22 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sirius satellite radio (which we can get... not legally hehe)

any more info on this? my new deck is compatable with satellite radio, and calgary doesn't have anything worth listening to.

nismodrifter
03-14-2004, 03:52 PM
QR77 OWNZ JOo!!

KELSTAR
03-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Apparently they were playing Avril Lavigne yesterday. Is that normal? and it was at night. Not during a world top countdown or anything

fast95pony
03-14-2004, 09:36 PM
I never listen to the radio. Cd's in the car and Virgin radio (UK) at work.:thumbsup:

dj_rice
03-15-2004, 12:29 AM
Yeah,

Vibe is changing, before they're motto was playing todays best R & B and rap but now its just playing todays best music..

Prolli to draw in more listeners from like other tastes...

RiCE-DaDDy
03-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Calgary has the worse radio stations ever!

benyl
03-15-2004, 01:31 AM
102.1 for news... and a little Mozart! hahahaha

I should start listening to QR77... I have been missing out!

ninspeed
03-15-2004, 10:56 PM
100.9 The Eagle 70's and 80's music mostly.. some 60's and early 90's stuff....

qr77 is great... still remember the 84 year old lady who called in to complain cuas he insurance will no longer insure her... she has tempoary blindness :D.... dave had fun with that one :D

rage2
03-16-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
qr77 is great... still remember the 84 year old lady who called in to complain cuas he insurance will no longer insure her... she has tempoary blindness :D.... dave had fun with that one :D
haha shit, I remember that one! She was even trying to justify it by saying she'd only drive within 20km of her house or some crap! :rofl:

TomTom
03-16-2004, 02:17 PM
the radios for when you keep forgetting to put a new cd in your car, and dont want to listin to the same ones once again, so you put it on and hope theres somthing good playing but you find its commercials or some dj that sounds like there trying to be from the hood or the same song you heard last time you turned the radio on.

sputnik
03-16-2004, 02:45 PM

haha shit, I remember that one! She was even trying to justify it by saying she'd only drive within 20km of her house or some crap! :rofl:

HAHAHA... because we ALL know that we could probably drive blindfolded anywhere within a 20 km radius of our houses now... so we should be able to do it when we are 84 too!

EMD
06-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 02bump'nWRX
Cj is wicked compared to what i'm use to. If you;ve ever listend to a red deer station you will aprreciate every station in calgary that much more. Z99 and big105 are about the two worst stations knowen to man kind:barf:

OK so Red Deer Stations are rather hickish but I cringe everytiime I come to calgary and have to deal with those stupid, ignorant, redneck DJ's from CJ92 that love to hear their own voices.. I wonder how some of them actually found women that didnt turn and run when they saw them coming....

gag44
06-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
Calgary has the worse radio stations ever!

CJSW 90.9

toyotaz23
06-02-2004, 09:41 PM
I think that Q107 has got to be one of the best radio stations that has come to calgary in a while, CJay is pretty good but they play too much of that new rock, which I personally think is terrible, but thats just me.:thumbsup:

pearljam
06-02-2004, 11:08 PM
That's why Q107 has a rating 3.6! Enjoy it mulletman, because this shit station will be toast in 6 months.

rage2
06-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by pearljam
That's why Q107 has a rating 3.6! Enjoy it mulletman, because this shit station will be toast in 6 months.
When the station dies, I'll have to revert back to my hendrix zeppelin ac/dc mp3 cds.

BTW - my mullet's getting cut next week! :rofl:

psichowolf
06-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Are there any threads that have CJ Rock Rewards passwords and what not in it?

sputnik
06-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by psichowolf
Are there any threads that have CJ Rock Rewards passwords and what not in it?

Ask Leo

freakin
06-21-2004, 01:28 PM
You guys need to listen to CJSW, CKUA, and CBC more! It's a nice break from the norm. You'll get to listen to music and viewoints you wouldn't hear on the mainstream stations. For the most part, I listen to my own CDs though.