PDA

View Full Version : Cutting programs

chathamf
03-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Anyone have any 60 or 90 day cutting programs they have had luck with?

I'd like to finally cut down to a lean physique for the summer. I know it's mostly diet but thought there may be some good programs to follow out there. Currently 180 5'9 and workout doing a 3 or 4 day a week weight lifting routine. Far from for and have put some good muscle mass on the last two years but always keep some extra body fat on covering up my abs and whatnot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking to change up my workout routines as well. They have been low reps heavyweights for the main compound lifts and 8 to 10 reps for the rest for quite some while.

Anyone else looking to do the same for the summer? Maybe we can use the thread for motivation.

lint
03-28-2015, 08:26 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/365312/abs-for-2013/

scboss
03-31-2015, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by chathamf
Anyone have any 60 or 90 day cutting programs they have had luck with?

I'd like to finally cut down to a lean physique for the summer. I know it's mostly diet but thought there may be some good programs to follow out there. Currently 180 5'9 and workout doing a 3 or 4 day a week weight lifting routine. Far from for and have put some good muscle mass on the last two years but always keep some extra body fat on covering up my abs and whatnot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Looking to change up my workout routines as well. They have been low reps heavyweights for the main compound lifts and 8 to 10 reps for the rest for quite some while.

Anyone else looking to do the same for the summer? Maybe we can use the thread for motivation.

Trust me when I say this. The program you are looking for does not exist. If you want to get shredded invest in a nutritionist and start preparing all your meals.

I have trained guys that have gotten shredded doing basic 5x5 programs just by eating better and completing 2 HIT sessions per week.

zipdoa
03-31-2015, 07:55 AM
http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

+

http://www.simplyshredded.com/kane-sumabat-reveals-how-he-attained-the-ultimate-mid-section.html

=

http://cdn.simplyshredded.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/va.jpg

heavyfuel
03-31-2015, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by warcaster

Trust me when I say this. The program you are looking for does not exist. If you want to get shredded invest in a nutritionist and start preparing all your meals.

Agreed, minus the nutritionist. No one plan is universal but all human bodies are relatively similar hence there's plenty of info online that should help you find something that works for you. You gotta prep all your meals, weigh all your meals. track your carbs/fats/proteins, simpy put you gotta be a Nazi about it, like I mean obsessed if you want the results. Just remember one key thing- what you do in the gym won't mean a fuckin thing if you're not eating right. You might get big and strong but who cares about that if you look like shit, right?

I could go on but the keyboard bros are gonna come out and counter everything I say, despite my obvious and awesome results. So gotta leave it at this. You can and will do it if you want it bad enough tho.

Dumbass17
03-31-2015, 11:28 AM
Good luck.
I would love abs, but fuck I love food

shadowz
03-31-2015, 11:33 AM
As well I'd like to chime in 60-90 days is a hell of a long time to run a deficit. I've been helping a few people count their macros as Zipdoa has recommended, reverse dieting (adding calories week by week) they have each lost a significant amount of weight going this route. Eat strict, not restrictive

A790
03-31-2015, 11:36 AM
My process works well for me.

Drop all refined carbs/etc. from my diet. All carbs come from fruit/veg. Eat 500 cals under my TDEE. Incorporate 3x HIIT cardio per week. Keep lifting weights.

As far as specific diet, I focus on hitting my protein macro. After that it's all good.

Last six weeks I've dropped 13 lbs, kept most of my lean mass. Looking pretty good :)

zipdoa
03-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by A790
My process works well for me.

Drop all refined carbs/etc. from my diet. All carbs come from fruit/veg. Eat 500 cals under my TDEE. Incorporate 3x HIIT cardio per week. Keep lifting weights.

As far as specific diet, I focus on hitting my protein macro. After that it's all good.

Last six weeks I've dropped 13 lbs, kept most of my lean mass. Looking pretty good :)

You don't eat any grains, rice, or anything?

scboss
03-31-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Agreed, minus the nutritionist. No one plan is universal but all human bodies are relatively similar hence there's plenty of info online that should help you find something that works for you. You gotta prep all your meals, weigh all your meals. track your carbs/fats/proteins, simpy put you gotta be a Nazi about it, like I mean obsessed if you want the results. Just remember one key thing- what you do in the gym won't mean a fuckin thing if you're not eating right. You might get big and strong but who cares about that if you look like shit, right?

I could go on but the keyboard bros are gonna come out and counter everything I say, despite my obvious and awesome results. So gotta leave it at this. You can and will do it if you want it bad enough tho.

You can find alot online but if you hire someone to adjust your macros that has prepped bodybuilders for shows you will be better off. But it all depends on how much time you want to invest into research etc

A790
03-31-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

You don't eat any grains, rice, or anything?
I avoid it as much as possible. Minimal rice, no bread/pasta/etc.

Lex350
03-31-2015, 01:15 PM
but....but....but, I like beer! Life so so unfair.

Milk2%
03-31-2015, 04:38 PM

I avoid it as much as possible. Minimal rice, no bread/pasta/etc.

You need carbs.....carbs are best first think in the morning or after noon, never before bed. Vegetables will become your best friend. Best of luck

scboss
03-31-2015, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
but....but....but, I like beer! Life so so unfair.

Beer isn't even that bad if you track your macros. If you up your lean body mass so you can eat 2600 calories a day to lose weight it will barely make a dent. Unless your drinking 10 a night lol

heavyfuel
03-31-2015, 05:59 PM

You can find alot online but if you hire someone to adjust your macros that has prepped bodybuilders for shows you will be better off. But it all depends on how much time you want to invest into research etc

Oh for sure, nothing wrong with a nutritionist that knows what they're doing and if you have more money than time, why not? I meant to say IMO it's not 100% absolutely necessary in all cases.

BUT

If you don't have focus, commitment and dedication to a healthy lifestyle at the gym and in the kitchen, and are unwilling to make sacrifices then no nutritionist or trainer can do a damn thing for you.

Pizza and beer all night and a hockey game, or healthy protein rich foods and doing instead of watching. All up to you in the end.

A790
03-31-2015, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Milk2%

You need carbs.....carbs are best first think in the morning or after noon, never before bed. Vegetables will become your best friend. Best of luck
Says who?

I go under 50g of carbs 5 days per week and am doing fine. I've been cutting like this for years.

3nergiz3d
03-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Simple process really. Find your maintenance and eat 500 below that. A deficit creates the weight loss. I haven't gone anything less than 200g carbs on a cut, just because my workouts are better with more carbs. Listen to your body and adjust accordingly.

chathamf
04-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Yea I guess it's all going to come down to my diet. I know the workout isn't really going to help much biggest reason I want to change is I'm slowing down progress and hitting plateaus. Been doing the same style lifting for a while but getting quite stuck lately.

Diets hard for me to get under control. If I was single still I could do it easily, but I've got kids and a wife and they all love their treats haha. Also working and having kids cuts down on time available for meal prepping. Hitting the gym basically kills all my personal time. I have to get the diet going though it'll make that much more happy with the hard work I've put in at the gym.

beecue
04-02-2015, 05:20 PM
What do you guys do for HIIT? Sprints, bike, skip...?

chathamf
04-02-2015, 05:21 PM
1 minute sprint/2 minutes throw up in bathroom/repeat

heavyfuel
04-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Get rid of the wife and kids so you have more time to focus on yourself and get the results you want and deserve.

It's the only way.

beecue
04-02-2015, 05:25 PM
lol, I tried doing full out sprints 20sec and 60sec rest and my shins were destroyed after 3 cycles. I was aiming for 8.

chathamf
04-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by beecue
lol, I tried doing full out sprints 20sec and 60sec rest and my shins were destroyed after 3 cycles. I was aiming for 8.

I decided to go to a hill near my house and do hill sprints last summer. Did about 4 trips up and down and I got so dizzy and sick I had to hold on to a tree to keep myself up and nearly lost my dinner, haha.

JRSC00LUDE
04-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Get rid of the wife and kids so you have more time to focus on yourself and get the results you want and deserve.

It's the only way.

I love new Vincent. :rofl: :clap:

chathamf
04-02-2015, 05:34 PM

It's the only way.

Done deal. Sunday night. It's going down.

chathamf
04-03-2015, 01:58 PM

What kind of results have you had?

chathamf
04-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Any nutritionists on here, or just someone who knows the meal prepping/cutting process really well? Would appreciate some help in getting started. Will pay. PM me.

A790
04-03-2015, 02:37 PM
You don't need to pay for a nutritionist unless you're looking to get really lean. If you're trying to cut into that 9-11% range (most "aesthetic" range for a lot of people) you can do it by restricting calories and placing protein first.

Place protein as the macro you need to hit. Since you are calorie restricted your fats/carbs will fall into a reasonable split and you don't need to worry about them much.

Meals are pretty easy once you gain perspective for portion sizes, but until you do, weigh everything.

A typical meal for me looks like:

7-9 oz lean protein
Two servings of vegetables
Complex carb (sweet potato, yam, fruit, etc.)

I'll cook the veggies with olive oil, sometimes a little but of butter, etc. I don't go crazy though, just enough for flavor.

I shoot for around 700 calories and 60+ grams of protein in a meal.

chathamf
04-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Cam I eat steak? Haha. Just butchered a beautiful strip loin from Costco into 16 steaks. Pretty fatty though haha.

heavyfuel
04-03-2015, 07:10 PM

What kind of results have you had?

Went from a size 38 to 34, and even 34 is a bit big but I can't quite fit into 32's yet. 255 to 220-225, In 7ish months. Really serious about my diet. Minimum 250g/protein per day, no rice, beans or potatoes. 150g portions 4-6 times/day, 8-10 eggs/day, soy milk, peanut butter, banana shakes with oat meal for breakfast and pre wrokout. Cut out milk and whey protein just replaced it with more fish, chicken, beef, turkey, whatever protein and I feel much better and stronger. I never really count calories just grams of protein, carbs and fat. 4 days on, 2 off. Days are split into chest, legs, shoulders/back/traps, bis/tris/abs. I do 100 crunches and cardio every workout. I started with 30 minutes of cardio on the bike but since the hardware in my leg and knee stopped bugging me I've been running 2km at the end of each workout, wanna be doing 5km within 4-6 weeks. I also have a physical job which helps big time. And I am blessed with a gf whom I don't live with and is equally into fitness so I'm fortunate enough to be able to be a selfish prick about it.

And I'm gonna be 40 this August.

chathamf
04-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Went from a size 38 to 34, and even 34 is a bit big but I can't quite fit into 32's yet. 255 to 220-225, In 7ish months. Really serious about my diet. Minimum 250g/protein per day, no rice, beans or potatoes. 150g portions 4-6 times/day, 8-10 eggs/day, soy milk, peanut butter, banana shakes with oat meal for breakfast and pre wrokout. Cut out milk and whey protein just replaced it with more fish, chicken, beef, turkey, whatever protein and I feel much better and stronger. I never really count calories just grams of protein, carbs and fat. 4 days on, 2 off. Days are split into chest, legs, shoulders/back/traps, bis/tris/abs. I do 100 crunches and cardio every workout. I started with 30 minutes of cardio on the bike but since the hardware in my leg and knee stopped bugging me I've been running 2km at the end of each workout, wanna be doing 5km within 4-6 weeks. I also have a physical job which helps big time. And I am blessed with a gf whom I don't live with and is equally into fitness so I'm fortunate enough to be able to be a selfish prick about it.

And I'm gonna be 40 this August.

Sounds like your killing it pretty good man. Good work. Beastmode. Haha. That takes some major dedication.

1-Bar
04-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Some good info on here, some not so accurate. Only principle you have to be cognitive is: caloric deficit which many have outlined before.

First step is to figure out what your body uses daily in terms of calories and then target diet around that number and slowly decrease it. Of course macro composition of those calories on top.

Meal frequency / meal timing dies not play a factor at all in cutting. Eat 7 times a day or twice. It doesn't affect the outcome.

You can go heavy protein / fat with minimal carbs or keto diet is effective. But such diet can't be sustained very long. Acidity in the body builds up and can be detrimental to your health, plus you feel like shiet during.

As for gym regiment. You have to keep the heavy weight up during the cut in order to help preserve lean body mass. If overload is not present, LBM losses can be significant.

Finally like mentioned earlier, keep track of what you consume like a Nazi. its the best road map of where you are and where you need to be.

chathamf
04-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Finally started tracking my macros. I got a body fat caliper and calculated that, and used the calculator at IIFYM to get my macros.

I'm going with 1982 calories a day. 223g of carbs, 44g of fat, and 173 gram of protein. I'm 184 lbs, 5'9 and 29 years old.

Today hasn't been too bad. I currently have about 300 calories left for the day. Will prob have a protein shake in a bit and call it a night.

I am pretty damn low on my carb intake, going to hit the protein right on pretty much, but my fat content is a bit higher. Does it a make a big difference as long as you stay at the proper calories? I'm not a huge carb guy, and like a little fat, haha.

Plan on doing 4 lifting days a week, and 2-3 cardio sessions with an ab workout.

scboss
04-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Finally started tracking my macros. I got a body fat caliper and calculated that, and used the calculator at IIFYM to get my macros.

I'm going with 1982 calories a day. 223g of carbs, 44g of fat, and 173 gram of protein. I'm 184 lbs, 5'9 and 29 years old.

Today hasn't been too bad. I currently have about 300 calories left for the day. Will prob have a protein shake in a bit and call it a night.

I am pretty damn low on my carb intake, going to hit the protein right on pretty much, but my fat content is a bit higher. Does it a make a big difference as long as you stay at the proper calories? I'm not a huge carb guy, and like a little fat, haha.

Plan on doing 4 lifting days a week, and 2-3 cardio sessions with an ab workout.

nice man good to see you finding the right info. As far as carbs go I would just eat them especially right before you workout. It will give you more energy and it will make the "pumps" you get way better.

I personally quit using preworkouts and such for my new years resolution and have found carbs to be my saving grace.

bruceod
04-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Chathamf, keep this thread updated with your progress.

Question for anyone else and I didn't research this at all, not yet anyways.

How do you figure out what your body uses calorie wise? I'm 28 6'4ish 230lbs+/- hit the gym pretty well everyday. Have a fairly physical job when on shift.

Time to do some more reading I guess. :dunno:

A790
04-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bruceod

How do you figure out what your body uses calorie wise? I'm 28 6'4ish 230lbs+/- hit the gym pretty well everyday. Have a fairly physical job when on shift.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tdee%20calculator

JRSC00LUDE
04-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Based on that I'm at 2,897 calories per day (Milflin-St. Jeor) but, I have tried and tried and I just cannot keep up with tracking my intake so I just base success on the daily weigh-in and average appearance :nut:

Good luck chathamf !

BananaFob
04-28-2015, 11:40 AM
I find that the best way is to calculate using your basal metaoblic rate (BMR) rather than trying to enter in levels of physical activity/workouts per week etc. That way if you have a lazier/more active day etc you can account for it. Most people should be +/- 100 what BMR says for sedentary given variations in hormones, genetics etc.

chathamf
04-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

When I calculated I put that I attend gym 4 times a week and work a somewhat active job. I think this was fair as some weeks I'll work out more sometime less and my job varies from pretty physical to sitting on my ass driving doing service calls all day. I also put my body fat percentage in the calculator I used. For cutting I put in aggressive cut which is about 2 lbs a week I believe. 1900ish calories is my magic cutting number but I feel I can prob go a bit over if I'm working out thay day.

Today I haven't eaten supper yet but have only taken in about 900 calories so far. I'm starving and cranky. Haha. Find it hard to take in enough calories when what I'm eating is so healthy.

A790
04-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
I find that the best way is to calculate using your basal metaoblic rate (BMR) rather than trying to enter in levels of physical activity/workouts per week etc. That way if you have a lazier/more active day etc you can account for it. Most people should be +/- 100 what BMR says for sedentary given variations in hormones, genetics etc.
That's pretty low.

My BMR is just under 2,000 calories per day. Given that I'm in the gym/exercising 6 days per week, eating at that level would likely cause as much muscle loss as it would fat loss.

TDEE is generally the better bet so long as you're honest about it.

BananaFob
04-28-2015, 06:18 PM

That's pretty low.

My BMR is just under 2,000 calories per day. Given that I'm in the gym/exercising 6 days per week, eating at that level would likely cause as much muscle loss as it would fat loss.

TDEE is generally the better bet so long as you're honest about it.

Oh I agree, what I meant was calculating and adding workouts manually above your BMR. Ie: my BMR is around 1600, Log my food let's say 2000 for a day total, workout and burn 400 calories in that day and I would be at maintenance etc. Easier to work from that baseline and then decide what needs to be adjusted imo. It's easier to be "honest" about adding in what you do each individual day rather than some predetermined activity level as specified by the TDEE calculator.

heavyfuel
04-29-2015, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Based on that I'm at 2,897 calories per day (Milflin-St. Jeor) but, I have tried and tried and I just cannot keep up with tracking my intake so I just base success on the daily weigh-in and average appearance :nut:

Good luck chathamf !

Agreed. Could never wrap my head around this calorie counting bullshit. That's assuming each identical weight piece of food has EXACTLY the same amount of calories as the next, I call bullshit. Protein, carbs and fats is all I track and poorly at best lol. Of course for the inexperienced and used to following directions a down-to-the-last-calorie meal plan might work best but I think once you've got a routine down you're much better off listening to your body and tracking how it reacts to what foods and when, and making appropriate adjustments if and when the daily weigh ins and aesthetics start becoming unsatisfactory.

zipdoa
04-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Everyone here getting lean and I just hit 274lbs :(

scboss
04-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Everyone here getting lean and I just hit 274lbs :(

Haha I've been on a permanent bulk for 9 months and have no plan on cutting. Just trying to maintain that 14-18% bf. 215lbs and counting lol

timdog
04-29-2015, 12:40 PM
so i'm not an expert at all here, but I have noticed one thing for me over the past 4 or 5 months. I stopped consuming a pre-workout meal, whether thats protein, or some supplement, or actual food.. i stopped altogether and noticed that it made NO difference in my energy levels during my work out and I've been cutting faster due to those unnecessary calories being removed.
I used to have some oatmeal, or some complex carbs, even just 100 - 150 calories worth to get me going before a workout. one day I was going to play hockey at lunch and forgot that I hadnt eaten since breakfast and i felt WEAK and hungry. i thought to myself that there was no way I was going to play with the same energy level as usual. within 1 minute of being on ice I forgot completely that i 'had no energy', played normally and it didnt seem to affect my performance at all. ever since, I just cut it out, and I've noticed the same results for weight lifting, other cardio, or anything I do. It feels rough for the first minute or two and then it's fine. same with early morning workouts... I dont eat breakfast until after.

clearly I have no scientific data on whether or not this is healthy or the right way to go, but I've noticed positive results.

roopi
04-29-2015, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by timdog
so i'm not an expert at all here, but I have noticed one thing for me over the past 4 or 5 months. I stopped consuming a pre-workout meal, whether thats protein, or some supplement, or actual food.. i stopped altogether and noticed that it made NO difference in my energy levels during my work out and I've been cutting faster due to those unnecessary calories being removed.
I used to have some oatmeal, or some complex carbs, even just 100 - 150 calories worth to get me going before a workout. one day I was going to play hockey at lunch and forgot that I hadnt eaten since breakfast and i felt WEAK and hungry. i thought to myself that there was no way I was going to play with the same energy level as usual. within 1 minute of being on ice I forgot completely that i 'had no energy', played normally and it didnt seem to affect my performance at all. ever since, I just cut it out, and I've noticed the same results for weight lifting, other cardio, or anything I do. It feels rough for the first minute or two and then it's fine. same with early morning workouts... I dont eat breakfast until after.

clearly I have no scientific data on whether or not this is healthy or the right way to go, but I've noticed positive results.

I once smoked a j before playing hockey. I thought I was flying by everyone on the ice. Everyone else saw it differently. :rofl:

shadowz
04-29-2015, 02:29 PM

Haha I've been on a permanent bulk for 9 months and have no plan on cutting. Just trying to maintain that 14-18% bf. 215lbs and counting lol

Good stuff, I've only been trying to cut weight since I have to meet a weight class for my first meet. Other than that as long as you keep your calories in check along with accountable training it'll be no issue

KRyn
04-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by shadowz

Good stuff, I've only been trying to cut weight since I have to meet a weight class for my first meet. Other than that as long as you keep your calories in check along with accountable training it'll be no issue

Are you going to be competing at Strive Alive?

shadowz
04-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Are you going to be competing at Strive Alive?

Unfortunately no it will be "Last Chance" Alberta Powerlifting Union/PeakPower contest June 7

KRyn
04-29-2015, 03:08 PM

Unfortunately no it will be "Last Chance" Alberta Powerlifting Union/PeakPower contest June 7

Make sure you are familiar with all the commands you will be expected to follow. The worst thing a new lifter can do is miss a lift on a technical error. Also insure you understand what proper IPF squat depth is. Have you been working with an experienced lifter or coach prior to your first meet? I found practicing all of the commands during my meet prep was the best way to get comfortable and confident with all the commands and rules. Best of luck I will check the results when they are released.

shadowz
04-29-2015, 03:17 PM

Make sure you are familiar with all the commands you will be expected to follow. The worst thing a new lifter can do is miss a lift on a technical error. Also insure you understand what proper IPF squat depth is. Have you been working with an experienced lifter or coach prior to your first meet? I found practicing all of the commands during my meet prep was the best way to get comfortable and confident with all the commands and rules. Best of luck I will check the results when they are released.

Thanks so much, yup totally understand everything that I'm about to experience. Have two great coaches at Peak Power. Barry Antoniow and Michael Souster.

heavyfuel
04-29-2015, 03:22 PM
^^ Holy fuck all of that sounds like it takes all the fun out of it lol

KRyn
04-29-2015, 03:24 PM

Have two great coaches at Peak Power. Barry Antoniow and Michael Souster.

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

shadowz
04-29-2015, 03:30 PM

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Not a fan of these two I'm guessing?

KRyn
04-29-2015, 03:36 PM

Not a fan of these two I'm guessing?

No I am not. However, if you like them, the service they provide and you are seeing good growth and development as a lifter that is all that matters.

scboss
05-01-2015, 12:33 PM

Thanks so much, yup totally understand everything that I'm about to experience. Have two great coaches at Peak Power. Barry Antoniow and Michael Souster.

Souster was my exercise physiology teacher in university and by far my favorite teacher:thumbsup:

chathamf
05-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Just about to finish off day 8. So far I think I've only went over my 1900 calories once and a few days I was quite a bit under. I didn't have any fruit last week on my grocery list so I found it super hard to reach my carb numbers, and wasn't eating enough throughout the day.

Usually been having a little bit of junk if I have a couple hundred calories left at the end of the day, or had a hard workout that day. Getting much easier, and portioning things is coming more natural.

Think I lost 2lbs last week. Did HIIT cardio three times, and lifted 4 times throughout the week. Looking forward to staying at it and seeing some actual results.

heavyfuel
05-07-2015, 10:26 PM
Just about to finish off day 8. So far I think I've only went over my 1900 calories once and a few days I was quite a bit under. I didn't have any fruit last week on my grocery list so I found it super hard to reach my carb numbers, and wasn't eating enough throughout the day.

Usually been having a little bit of junk if I have a couple hundred calories left at the end of the day, or had a hard workout that day. Getting much easier, and portioning things is coming more natural.

Think I lost 2lbs last week. Did HIIT cardio three times, and lifted 4 times throughout the week. Looking forward to staying at it and seeing some actual results.

You will see results! Just stick with it and you'll get there. If I may suggest, vegetables over fruits if you're not meeting your carb numbers, to avoid that extra sugar.

hamkered
05-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know if cutting faster or cutting slower is a better way to go about it or is that all a bunch of broscience?

A buddy keeps insisting it's best to cut more gradually to maintain strength, but so long as I keep my intensity up, shouldn't it be okay to cut even more calories since I'll eventually lose strength anyway?

For the record, my "normal" TDEE is 2700 cal; I cut 300 off of that and I was thinking I could manage to cut another 200. I'm keeping a 40P/30C/30F split and my strength loss has been minimal.

heavyfuel
05-08-2015, 08:43 AM
^^ Everybody's different. Anybody who sat thru a few nutrition seminars, knows some big name in bodybuilding and competed here and there can claim to have all the magical answers, but in the end you have to experiment and find what works best for you. My PR bench press and squats were at my lightest weight a few weeks ago.

My armchair expert advice would be to not be so anal about a couple of hundred calories here and there, just as long as you're active even when you're not in the gym.

chathamf
05-08-2015, 04:51 PM

You will see results! Just stick with it and you'll get there. If I may suggest, vegetables over fruits if you're not meeting your carb numbers, to avoid that extra sugar.

Yea I've got to start getting some more carby veggies into me for sure. What do you use to hit your protein levels? I remember you saying you take in super high protein every day? I'm gunning for about 1g per lb ..so about 170-180 grams a day and usually end up around 30 short. Usually eat greek yogurt with protein powder mixed in with it in the am, some chicken at lunch and some sort of protein for dinner. Sometimes another protein shake at some point during the day.

heavyfuel
05-08-2015, 06:48 PM

Yea I've got to start getting some more carby veggies into me for sure. What do you use to hit your protein levels? I remember you saying you take in super high protein every day? I'm gunning for about 1g per lb ..so about 170-180 grams a day and usually end up around 30 short. Usually eat greek yogurt with protein powder mixed in with it in the am, some chicken at lunch and some sort of protein for dinner. Sometimes another protein shake at some point during the day.

I eat 3-5 chicken breasts/day if it's a chicken day, sometimes I'll cook a turkey and portion it out into 150g servings. If it's a fish day, I make this fish medley stuff where I cook salmon filet, rockfish and shrimp together with a new random homemade spice mix each time, and usually hit that with some zucchini, green peppers and onions. On a ground meat day, I cook ground beef with ground turkey, once again with a new and exciting spice mix, and frozen peas, carrots and corn. I snack on raw veggies and turkey pepperoni from Costco pretty much whenever. Sometimes on weekends, I cook a whole bag of spinach, throw that over some breakfast sausage, with mushrooms onions and green peppers, and a dozen beaten whole eggs, in the oven till she's done. 2 days worth of high protein breakfast. I used to include a cup of skim milk and a scoop of whey powder twice a day, and whey powder in my morning shakes but I had a hard time losing the last 5 lbs so I cut that out and hit 220 within a week. Might get back on it and see what happens, it's been 2 months.

GQNammer
06-04-2015, 02:24 PM
:hijack:

I'm also looking to drop a lot of body fat and advice on how to go about my routine. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just post in this one.

I've been hitting the gym 2-3x a week for the past year. I'm 5'9 and started at 230lbs back in April of 2014 and now I'm down to 211 with 30% BF. This is with barely any change in my diet (if any at all). I want to drop my BF by a significant amount but I'm afraid of losing my gains I've accrued over the year.

I have free time during this summer and figure I'd go hard for the next 3 months. Last week I started going to fitness classes offered at the gym plus running 3km at night 3 times a week. I'm looking to up this to 5 times a week plus incorporating empty stomach walking first thing in the morning. I've spoken to the fitness class instructor and she suggested I stop weight training period until I drop to my desired BF. Only then should I go back to weight training and reduce cardio. This scares me as I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop in strength during this period.

I guess i'm just looking for a second opinion on whether the info she gave me is legit or are there other ways of approaching it where I can drop BF and maintain/gain muscle; assuming I change my diet to what the IIFYM suggests. My goal is to have a body that pretty much looks like Chris Evans' in Captain America.....no homo LOL. I know it will take years, but I would like to be on the right path at the get go!

BananaFob
06-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer

Only then should I go back to weight training and reduce cardio. This scares me as I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop in strength during this period.

Good god no.

shadowz
06-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by GQNammer

I'm also looking to drop a lot of body fat and advice on how to go about my routine. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just post in this one.

I've been hitting the gym 2-3x a week for the past year. I'm 5'9 and started at 230lbs back in April of 2014 and now I'm down to 211 with 30% BF. This is with barely any change in my diet (if any at all). I want to drop my BF by a significant amount but I'm afraid of losing my gains I've accrued over the year.

I have free time during this summer and figure I'd go hard for the next 3 months. Last week I started going to fitness classes offered at the gym plus running 3km at night 3 times a week. I'm looking to up this to 5 times a week plus incorporating empty stomach walking first thing in the morning. I've spoken to the fitness class instructor and she suggested I stop weight training period until I drop to my desired BF. Only then should I go back to weight training and reduce cardio. This scares me as I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop in strength during this period.

I guess i'm just looking for a second opinion on whether the info she gave me is legit or are there other ways of approaching it where I can drop BF and maintain/gain muscle; assuming I change my diet to what the IIFYM suggests. My goal is to have a body that pretty much looks like Chris Evans' in Captain America.....no homo LOL. I know it will take years, but I would like to be on the right path at the get go!

It does take time, but I would avoid taking the advice from that "fitness instructor" sounds like they are leading you down the wrong path

iron_man888
06-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Good luck man! I got a lot of great tips from Kryn when I started competing. Are you planning on competing in AB provincials in July?

shadowz
06-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by iron_man888

Good luck man! I got a lot of great tips from Kryn when I started competing. Are you planning on competing in AB provincials in July?

Thanks! We will see, I'm really doing this as a self challenge. Pending the outcome I may do July as well