PDA

View Full Version : school me on ruckus'

Danaldson
03-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Im looking at picking up a little project, i figure a ruckus is a good one because they're cheap, I'm assuming they're cheap to insure/register because its a moped,lots of aftermarket goodies and it wouldn't take up much room in my garage. yes i know they're kinda lame, but i feel like they would be fun to rip around on in the summer. It would also save me lots of money that i wanna blow on my audi....

pics of audi for clicks....
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8667/16835729212_839095bd45_b.jpg

pics of a ruckus that i think is kinda cool....

http://www.airsociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/honda-ruckus-bagged-air-ride-stance-scooter-011.jpg

Can someone with a ruckus/moped chime in and share some knowledge?

firebane
03-30-2015, 06:01 AM
Any form of a scooter is a blast to bomb around on. The issue is that they are only 50cc so they are very limited in power and can be slow in a lot of traffic.

With that said insurance is dirt cheap as my girlfriend pays I think $6/month to insure her little scooter but they are limited to where you can ride due to speed limits.

The Ruckus is a cool little scooter but you have to drop a ton of money into them to make it look anything like the one above and once all the money is spend you could have bought a decent little 250cc bike and have far more fun.

Fly Fishin'
03-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Find a used one that is 80% of the way to what you want sounds like the option I would go. I have an Indian re branded 50cc and I'm glad it has pedals to help on hills. It isn't much but it's a bit better than pushing.

bjstare
03-30-2015, 07:06 AM
You could easily get a used 600 supersport for the price of lots of those modded ruckuses (ruckii?). I've often thought about how sick they are, but in Calgary they just make no sense. Unless you live DT and never leave DT. Otherwise you'll mod it, then look at it sit in the garage.

firebane
03-30-2015, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
Find a used one that is 80% of the way to what you want sounds like the option I would go. I have an Indian re branded 50cc and I'm glad it has pedals to help on hills. It isn't much but it's a bit better than pushing.

Pretty much. 50cc is good for flats and bombing around but when its a hill you have to deal with well they get a little tough.

My girlfriends is a 2 stroke 50cc with a 2 speed transmission so it does pretty good.

Ca_Silvia13
03-30-2015, 07:43 AM
I have a fully streched one and have built 3 others like it. They are super fun to rip around on. No Glenmore, no Deerfoot though. They only go 70-80km hour topped out on a flat. Registration and Insurance is nothing, stupid cheap like 120ish for everything, no bike license required.

And the best part, so much aftermarket support. Motor swaps, air ride, custum everything. They are a lot of fun and you get tons of looks when blasting around downtown haha

Here is the fleet:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/Ca_Silvia/Ruckus/RuckusPictures241_zpsc3f0391a.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Ca_Silvia/media/Ruckus/RuckusPictures241_zpsc3f0391a.jpg.html)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Danaldson
03-30-2015, 10:10 AM
i agree modding them can get expensive, but that bring said, theres no way my parents will allow me to get a proper bike until i have my own house.... i feel like a ruckus would allow me to get my feet wet.

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
I have a fully streched one and have built 3 others like it. They are super fun to rip around on. No Glenmore, no Deerfoot though. They only go 70-80km hour topped out on a flat. Registration and Insurance is nothing, stupid cheap like 120ish for everything, no bike license required.

And the best part, so much aftermarket support. Motor swaps, air ride, custum everything. They are a lot of fun and you get tons of looks when blasting around downtown haha

Here is the fleet:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/Ca_Silvia/Ruckus/RuckusPictures241_zpsc3f0391a.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Ca_Silvia/media/Ruckus/RuckusPictures241_zpsc3f0391a.jpg.html)

Let me know if you have any questions.

awesome. any chance you want to get rid of one lol?

Cos
03-30-2015, 10:14 AM

eglove
03-30-2015, 10:45 AM
I've always wanted to get one - but to get them the way you or I want them to look is going to be $$$

Ca_Silvia13
03-30-2015, 10:54 AM
They are super rare in Calgary. Out of the 4 i ride with, 3 came from Edmonton and 1 from Red Deer.

I've never seen one for sale in Calgary lol

One might be for sale this year. Not sure what she is doing but i can ask the question if you're serious.

firebane
03-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Cos
I know a guy who used to work at Walt and he had a kit on it, I can't remember exactly but I think it was a new head. He could get that thing up to 100km/h and it was something like 80cc 'off the books'.

I've always wanted to get one. I think they'd be great for bombing around.

There are a ton of kits for all scooters to increase the output of them. The issue is that if you get into an accident and they investigate you could void your insurance.

ercchry
03-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Just get a real bike... if you want a project build a brat/cafe/scrambler... class 6 is a very simple test, you also dont really need one if you ride with others that have one (took me 2 years of riding to get around to it myself). My cx500 is $160/year to insure and has JUST enough power to actually ride the damn thing on the roads. Parts are dirt cheap, old bikes are also dirt cheap, only tricky bit is doing the welding and fab work... but if you have the skills, then that too is dirt cheap. You'll end up with a much more original product and enough power to actually use the thing, with money leftover vs a damn ruckus

bjstare
03-30-2015, 11:21 AM
^All of this. And if you're a grown up and your parents won't let you do something, maybe time to move out? :poosie:

I kid, I kid. But seriously. Just get a real bike of some type.

Danaldson
03-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
^All of this. And if you're a grown up and your parents won't let you do something, maybe time to move out? :poosie:

lol sounds like I'm 12 when i said that :rolleyes: I'm 22, planning to move out next year. The gf would also murder me if i got a big boy bike :banghead: i need to train her somehow.

Danaldson
03-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

lol sounds like I'm 12 when i said that :rolleyes: I'm 22, planning to move out next year. The gf would also murder me if i got a big boy bike :banghead: i need to train her somehow.

ercchry
03-30-2015, 12:04 PM
A sub 500cc vintage bike is a borderline scooter... but at least you can ride it on all the roads and keep your testicles intact

D'z Nutz
03-30-2015, 03:48 PM
I've thought of picking up one every once in a while (I was actually just looking into it again this weekend before you posted haha). Regardless of what everyone else says, I think they look like they could be pretty fun to scoot around in downtown and they're as cheap as $800-1200 on the used market. Problem is it sounds like the stock engines are pretty boring and if you want any fun out of them, you want to do the 2 stroke engine swap. By the time you get the parts for that and a few extra mods, you may as well have gotten a bike.

01RedDX
03-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Dumbass17
03-31-2015, 11:44 AM
I had a GSXR 600 and i got rearended and it got written off, blah blah blah. Few years later, my buddy got a Honda Spree 50cc, then another friend got one and then I got one. So now 3 of us have them and we bomb around. They both lived downtown before so I would store my scooter there and we would bomb around for coffee, for fun, for lunch etc and it was cheap, fun and goofy.
We all still have our scooters and I'm moving to kensington tomorrow so it will be out and about.

600cc are for if you want to leave the core. the OP doesn't require it so 50cc is just fine. they are fun. alot of people say 'oh they're gay blah blah' but then they try it and love it. good, clean, cheap fun

firebane
03-31-2015, 12:08 PM
I showed this last year but this is what $300 bought my girlfriend

Tomos Targa LX (No longer made) 50cc 2 stroke scooter. Its a fun little thing to boot around on.. Just have to fix up the muffler and its rideable again.

http://i.imgur.com/0LPTtpx.jpg

ercchry
03-31-2015, 12:21 PM
this would be worth getting... for the lulz

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-pocket-bikes/calgary/1987-yamaha-ysr50-rare-collector-street-legal-with-learners/1056958535?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

bjstare
03-31-2015, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-pocket-bikes/calgary/1987-yamaha-ysr50-rare-collector-street-legal-with-learners/1056958535?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
:eek:

Yeah, for the lulz. Or just cause it's fuckin sweet and rare. You know, either or. haha

firebane
03-31-2015, 12:28 PM

Those really are a "rare" bike. Not many of them around and are very cool.

ercchry
03-31-2015, 12:31 PM
there are actually a ton for sale in ontario... and way more reasonably priced

it technically doesnt fall under the scooter category though since it has a manual transmission

firebane
03-31-2015, 12:34 PM
there are actually a ton for sale in ontario... and way more reasonably priced

it technically doesnt fall under the scooter category though since it has a manual transmission

Yup which is why they didn't sell to well for because people still had to get a class 6 for them.

r3ccOs
03-31-2015, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Yup which is why they didn't sell to well for because people still had to get a class 6 for them.

pretty sure YSRs are used for track racing at go-cart tracks

firebane
03-31-2015, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

pretty sure YSRs are used for track racing at go-cart tracks

Tell that to all the people who have them and ride them on the streets lol.

Danaldson
03-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

600cc are for if you want to leave the core. the OP doesn't require it so 50cc is just fine. they are fun. alot of people say 'oh they're gay blah blah' but then they try it and love it. good, clean, cheap fun

thanks for the input. i think I'm gonna try and find one once school is over.

i don't really have an interest in going fast, fastest car i owned was a 250hp vw r32. i just want something to work on, and have fun with during summer days.

J.M.
03-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Honda Grom? Need class 6 though, they look pretty cool haha

ercchry
03-31-2015, 03:12 PM
this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/calgary/honda-cb360/1059441052

plus this:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/

????

profit:

http://www.bikeexif.com/cb360

not going to be breaking any speed records... but balls stay intact, win, win

firebane
03-31-2015, 03:34 PM
cb360 would be a good little bike and far more fun.

J.M.
03-31-2015, 06:41 PM
this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/calgary/honda-cb360/1059441052

plus this:

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/

????

profit:

http://www.bikeexif.com/cb360

not going to be breaking any speed records... but balls stay intact, win, win

didn't you do one of these builds ercchry?

looks like it could be a fun project

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-31-2015, 06:44 PM
One of the guys at auto x has one as a pit bike. It's pretty sweet.

ddduke
03-31-2015, 09:38 PM

I had a Honda Spree when I was in grade 9 then later moved to a YSR, the price listed there is ridiculous. I paid $1500 for mine like 12 years ago. They are a fucking blast though and fitting on one really isn't that bad.

I personally like the Ruckus and for straight DT riding I think they're awesome, they also hold their value. If you gauge your masculinity based on what type of bike you ride then you should probably do some soul searching. I wouldn't listen to what erchy has to say about the Ruckus.

Cos
04-01-2015, 07:15 AM

Ca_Silvia13
04-01-2015, 09:28 AM
And size is not a problem, i'm 6'1" 200lbs and once you change the stock handle bars for something less gay. The riding position is improved 100x.

Cos, even a 6" stretch is suttle enough most people have no idea its actually streched. The photo you posted is for sure a stock sized bike, this is a 6" stretch, stock tires, all factory plastic, stock exhaust

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/Ca_Silvia/Ruckus/RuckusPictures212_zps65bd2e03.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Ca_Silvia/media/Ruckus/RuckusPictures212_zps65bd2e03.jpg.html)

88CRX
04-01-2015, 09:31 AM
And size is not a problem, i'm 6'1" 200lbs and once you change the stock handle bars for something less gay. The riding position is improved 100x.

Cos, even a 6" stretch is suttle enough most people have no idea its actually streched. The photo you posted is for sure a stock sized bike, this is a 6" stretch, stock tires, all factory plastic, stock exhaust

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/Ca_Silvia/Ruckus/RuckusPictures212_zps65bd2e03.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/Ca_Silvia/media/Ruckus/RuckusPictures212_zps65bd2e03.jpg.html)

What are the costs to build something like yours?

I want one bad haha.

firebane
04-01-2015, 09:53 AM
The problem is though when you start getting heavy in the weight they suffer in the acceleration lol.

If your a big person you may want to look into ways to speed them up.

Ca_Silvia13
04-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

What are the costs to build something like yours?

I want one bad haha.

My honest reccomendation is to buy a Ruckus as cheap as possible if you're going to stretch it. I've gotten a few for 500-800 bucks with low kms on the motors.

Stretch is going to run 1200-1500 BUT its a true bolt on kit, very high quality brakets/fasteners. All the tubes, hoses, rear rim and tire. Plus handle bars, rear shock, exhaust... its just like modding a car lol

Mine is pushing 3k all said and done but its been painted 3 times and i've swapped wheels and handle bars twice.

Can easily be done for 2-2.5k depending on how crazy you wanna take it.

Ca_Silvia13
04-01-2015, 10:49 AM
The problem is though when you start getting heavy in the weight they suffer in the acceleration lol.

If your a big person you may want to look into ways to speed them up.

You can modify the CVT gear to help with the loss in acceleration. Guys in the USA, at sea level, get these going 80km/h on a stock un-opened motor.

I've done 73km on a flat in Calgary, that's my highest speed via Iphone GPS. Streched Rucks' are known to be slightly slower than stock ones.

eglove
04-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Just searched kijiji alberta and there is nothing for sale :(

firebane
04-01-2015, 11:07 AM

You can modify the CVT gear to help with the loss in acceleration. Guys in the USA, at sea level, get these going 80km/h on a stock un-opened motor.

I've done 73km on a flat in Calgary, that's my highest speed via Iphone GPS. Streched Rucks' are known to be slightly slower than stock ones.

Yeah I've hit 60 on my girlfriends scooter and it feels like your going damn fast.

Ca_Silvia13
04-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by eglove

They are fairly rare. When i bought my personal Ruckus i had to drive to Edmonton. I showed up 1.5 hours earlier than i said i would and i got there just as 2 other guys showed up. I couldn't negociate shit on the price but just goes to show they are sought after.

Try the states, quite a few in Spokane/Seattle and BC if you're willing to travel.

firebane
04-01-2015, 11:50 AM

They are fairly rare. When i bought my personal Ruckus i had to drive to Edmonton. I showed up 1.5 hours earlier than i said i would and i got there just as 2 other guys showed up. I couldn't negociate shit on the price but just goes to show they are sought after.

Try the states, quite a few in Spokane/Seattle and BC if you're willing to travel.

Scooters are plenty sought after. When I went to pick mine up the guy told me 4 other guys were interested. I was going to ask for a lower price but just said ok to what he was asking.

D'z Nutz
04-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by eglove

It probably doesn't help that we're in the tail end of winter. At the end of the Fall, there were a few on Kijiji. I almost went and picked one up but had second thoughts at the last second. In retrospect, it would have been a lot cheaper modding one then than now with the shitty exchange haha

Ca_Silvia13, are you still using the factory motor?

01RedDX
04-01-2015, 01:32 PM

Ca_Silvia13
04-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

It probably doesn't help that we're in the tail end of winter. At the end of the Fall, there were a few on Kijiji. I almost went and picked one up but had second thoughts at the last second. In retrospect, it would have been a lot cheaper modding one then than now with the shitty exchange haha

Ca_Silvia13, are you still using the factory motor?

Kinda, factory yes not original. I still run a 49cc motor

Stock rev limiter on these things is around 7500rpm, with a CDI you can increase the limiter. I took my 03 original 9500km motor to 10,200rpm a few times and i cooked the top end. (84km down a hill, passing cars ahaha)

Bought a 2012 motor with 63kms on it for a few hundred. Swapped it in.

2006+ The Rucks' got revised motors, higher rev limiter, big valves, PCV system. These Rucks' are more expensive but the motors are much better.

D'z Nutz
04-01-2015, 06:34 PM

Kinda, factory yes not original. I still run a 49cc motor

Any reason why you didn't do the GY6 swap?

Ca_Silvia13
04-02-2015, 07:50 AM

Any reason why you didn't do the GY6 swap?

Few reasons:

1 - I have no intention of going 100+ km/h on a Ruckus with drum brakes design to slow you down from half that speed.
2 - The bulk of aftermarket parts i already have for the stock motor
3 - The Gy6 motor are notorious for breaking down, leaking etc. I'd go big bore or something newer/custom like the Grom motor.

D'z Nutz
04-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Ah I see. So do these things suck on inclines? I park on fourth level basement parking so, lots of climbs haha

Ca_Silvia13
04-03-2015, 11:10 AM
Parking garages would not be an issue as you have to drive slow anyways. Big hills suck i'm not going to lie. Like centre street heading north out of downtown. If you have to chop throttle at all you will climb at 30 up that hill.

It's a Honda, they love to rev. Keep them under 9800rpm, synthetic oil and keep on top of the valves. It will run forever.

roll_over
04-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Just checking in, ordered parts for mine last week and the exchange rate just killed the pocket

firebane
04-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
Just checking in, ordered parts for mine last week and the exchange rate just killed the pocket

Exchange rate is sucking balls for state side ordering.. ugh.

Ca_Silvia13
04-03-2015, 12:19 PM
I did an MSO run for all my Ruckus parts. I mean if you can completely fill a half ton its worth it.

That being said i just order parts for my Stagea...ya i miss last summers' .90 dollar :banghead:

Roll_over - you streching it?

roll_over
04-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Yeah I'm eyeing the killer scooter mount from MNNTHBX and this month they are having 15% off mounts sooo

I ordered the lugs cvt cover, the new handle bar stem and the coolant a fuel line kit from them but the outside diameter of the hoses is to small to use stock clamps.

D'z Nutz
04-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Parking garages would not be an issue as you have to drive slow anyways. Big hills suck i'm not going to lie. Like centre street heading north out of downtown. If you have to chop throttle at all you will climb at 30 up that hill.

Well, that kinda sucks cause I live a couple blocks from the centre street bridge. I'm looking at it outside my window right now :laugh:

I think I'll keep my eyes open for one this spring/summer. If I understand it correctly, I still need license and registration for a Ruckus right?

Anyways, thanks for answering my questions.

firebane
04-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Well, that kinda sucks cause I live a couple blocks from the centre street bridge. I'm looking at it outside my window right now :laugh:

I think I'll keep my eyes open for one this spring/summer. If I understand it correctly, I still need license and registration for a Ruckus right?

Anyways, thanks for answering my questions.

Class 5 only.. Don't need your 6 for a 49cc scooter.

D'z Nutz
04-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Class 5 only.. Don't need your 6 for a 49cc scooter.

Duh, I mean registration and insurance. I was thinking license plate, not class 6.

firebane
04-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Duh, I mean registration and insurance. I was thinking license plate, not class 6.

OOPS! Yeah still need that too. It should be too much thought as my girlfriend only pays like $5/month for insurance.

roll_over
04-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Dr nuts how much do you weigh? you may not have an issues if you're light. I'm 180 on stock rollers and variator I do 40 or so up hills

D'z Nutz
04-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by roll_over
Dr nuts how much do you weigh? you may not have an issues if you're light. I'm 180 on stock rollers and variator I do 40 or so up hills

I'm about 170 if I haven't taken a shit yet :rofl:

D'z Nutz
08-09-2015, 09:13 PM
If anyone is looking for a fixer upper project, this Ruckus just popped up on Kijiji:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-scooters-pocket-bikes/calgary/as-is:-2008-honda-ruckus-90cc-2-stroke-jog-crate-engine/1093642786