PDA

View Full Version : Why the old version of vBulletin?

syscal
03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Curious.

killramos
03-31-2015, 10:30 AM
Because for every version they skip Rage2 gets a new black series

Tik-Tok
03-31-2015, 10:37 AM
Not like I'm privy to details, but I imagine switching would cause weeks/months of headaches. This one works fairly hassle free I think.

D'z Nutz
03-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah, we should upgrade. Clearly the search feature doesn't work anymore.

syscal
03-31-2015, 10:41 AM
So, since this is the suggestion/comment box/forum related stuff part of the forum.

When is a mobile friendly version of Beyond coming?

D'z Nutz
03-31-2015, 10:42 AM
After we get the search function figured out.

Can confirm: merge works.

pheoxs
03-31-2015, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

The new vbulletin is so much nicer, being able to tag users, be notified of when you are quoted even if you unsubscribe to threads, and such.

The only forum I know with an older version is 780 and its ... well its 780.

blitz
03-31-2015, 10:47 AM
:rofl:

D'z Nutz
03-31-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
The only forum I know with an older version is 780 and its ... well its 780.

I know for a fact those guys wear sweatpants when posting.

revelations
03-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Definitely time to upgrade - features such as: reading the first line of a thread with a quick mouse-over, are sorely missed.

NoPulp
03-31-2015, 10:51 AM
The forum I help out with uses 4.2.2. It runs great and there are indeed some nice features. Mention, quote, thank/like notifications being my favorite.

As stated in an older thread, the upgrade does require a lot of work especially with custom coding. I think this forum runs good enough, a upgrade would be nice but it all comes down to the owner/staff's time and desire to upgrade.

sabad66
03-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Any idea how much it costs to license the latest version? Maybe that's the blocker. If so, i'd happily donate some cash if it means we can get the new features... some of these features sound pretty interesting and useful

revelations
03-31-2015, 11:14 AM
^ my recollection is that their SQL migration would be the biggest headache.

eglove
03-31-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Any idea how much it costs to license the latest version? Maybe that's the blocker. If so, i'd happily donate some cash if it means we can get the new features... some of these features sound pretty interesting and useful

$399 for the one with a mobile theme

I would definitely donate too. Maybe get a perk of a custom user title or just show up as a member who donated

NoPulp
03-31-2015, 11:21 AM
The forum I help with has a supporting members feature. Chip in some money for a yearly subscription of "supporting member features" and a sticker.

Currently our features are:
1. Larger avatar
2 supporting member badge
3. Access to a backroom subsection
4. Increase of PM storage
5. Ad removal

We are currently looking at adding some major additional features and new swag. The possibilities are endless and it's a good way to generate extra money.

I'd definitely be willing to chip in money.
I suspect the time of upgrading is the issue rather than money though.

88CRX
03-31-2015, 11:28 AM

Well played :rofl:

Maxx Mazda
03-31-2015, 01:15 PM
One of the things I really like about Beyond is the "simplicity" of it. I find a lot of the newer forum softwares to be too flashy and bloated.

J.M.
03-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Does anyone else get the stupid ads at the bottom of the screen while surfing beyond on their iPhones?

syscal
03-31-2015, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
If so, i'd happily donate some cash if it means we can get the new features...

Originally posted by eglove
$399 for the one with a mobile theme

I would definitely donate too. Maybe get a perk of a custom user title or just show up as a member who donated

Originally posted by NoPulp

I'd definitely be willing to chip in money.
I suspect the time of upgrading is the issue rather than money though.

Pretty sure that, before vehicle allowance, this forum turns a profit. Could be wrong though.

xnvy
03-31-2015, 03:29 PM
^No, I still get the misplaced usernames and avatars that have no place in the thread I'm viewng though.

sabad66
03-31-2015, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
^No, I still get the misplaced usernames and avatars that have no place in the thread I'm viewng though.
yes this happens all the time for me on iphone. very strange

rage2
03-31-2015, 04:00 PM
You have to clear the cache on the iPhone to fix that issue. iOS bug with cache corruption.

As for why we stick with an older VB, it's simple, it does the job, and it's fast. We've actually tested with VB3 and VB4, and the user experience goes downhill because of performance. There's a lot of bloat in the newer VB's, with page views increasing by 2-3 fold even throwing tons of horsepower at it. It's a problem that every large VB implementation suffers from. We can improve performance by nuking old threads and posts, but that takes away from the experience, and why we made the decision to stick with what we have.

So ya, it has nothing to do with laziness, we actually spend more time massaging this version of VB with customizations to do what we want it to do. If we were lazy, we would've upgraded long ago. :)

eglove
03-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Can we get some new buttons instead of the default VB ones :p

NoPulp
03-31-2015, 04:15 PM
I don't experience any performance issues with 4... but at the same time I don't do any of the really deep technical stuff.

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum.php

Edit: just noticed size difference.
Does beyond really have 318k members?
If so, then the performance issues may be relevant.

killramos
03-31-2015, 04:20 PM
As a note I much prefer the experience of beyond to other forums I frequent. Simple. Light on data for mobile. Let's you focus on posting and not pop up menus etc.

Thaco
03-31-2015, 04:21 PM
I don't experience any performance issues with 4... but at the same time I don't do any of the really deep technical stuff.

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum.php

12k members and 1 mil posts, vs

318k members, and 4.4 mil posts..

apples, meet....... oranges?

NoPulp
03-31-2015, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

12k members and 1 mil posts, vs

318k members, and 4.4 mil posts..

apples, meet....... oranges?

Just noticed that, didn't realize there was that much of a size difference. My mistake.
Performance issues may indeed be an issue

Find the member size vs post size odd though? Why so many members here lol.

ercchry
03-31-2015, 04:25 PM

Find the member size vs post size odd though? Why so many members here lol.

spambots for the most part

eglove
03-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Time to prune members

NoPulp
03-31-2015, 04:28 PM
What about svtp as comparison?
Doesn't have the same member count, but definitely the post count

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forum.php

Also, I should re mention that this forum definitely services it's purpose and runs very nicely. No real complaints from me, just missing out on a lot of nice features on the updated versions.

Tik-Tok
03-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

spambots for the most part

And people who signed up for Beyonds various viral threads (Dave busting a hit and run on camera, The Claw, etc.), and never posting again.

rage2
03-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Spambots are deleted from the system. But you're right, active members aren't anywhere near that 318k range.

syscal
03-31-2015, 05:11 PM
yea, no real complaint here, was more or less curious

J.M.
03-31-2015, 06:39 PM

Why so many members here lol.

because beyond.ca is best brah

Mar
03-31-2015, 08:53 PM
I asked this question about 5 years ago, got the same answer. I'm very surprised it hasn't been hacked and completely deleted yet. I could probably do it myself in an hour.

revelations
03-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I asked this question about 5 years ago, got the same answer. I'm very surprised it hasn't been hacked and completely deleted yet. I could probably do it myself in an hour.

The same way you installed Linux and wiped a laptop - even though you didnt have to?

Mar
03-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by revelations

The same way you installed Linux and wiped a laptop - even though you didnt have to?
Keeping recovery partitions is for pussies.

se7en
04-01-2015, 12:16 AM
Please don't change. Its the only forum that doesn't have huge wait times to click anything!

spikerS
04-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Mar

god, you are so full of shit.

Your marth is still wrong.

16hypen3sp
04-01-2015, 04:11 PM

Search feature on all versions of vBulletin are pretty useless.

CompletelyNumb
05-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Can we at least get the F1 counter in the footer updated? :poosie:

Robin Goodfellow
05-13-2015, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
One of the things I really like about Beyond is the "simplicity" of it. I find a lot of the newer forum softwares to be too flashy and bloated.

Agreed.

googe
05-14-2015, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Probably not, but if you think you can, try it. You won't be banned. I posted from rage2's account and changed his sig as a joke, told him about the bug (which turned out to not even be in the VB code), and he fixed it right away. Just don't do anything dumb.

eglove
05-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Could we get a [TOP] button at the bottom, or another set of

Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Other Stuff > Suggestion/Comment Box/Forum Related Stuff > Why the old version of vBulletin?

at the bottom of the thread? Makes navigation a little bit easier

rage2
05-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Like that?

GoChris
05-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Yes, just like that! Finally thanks! I remember asking if we could get that a long time ago, glad to see it finally.

Mibz
05-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Well, there it is boys. Our one forum change for 2015. Hope it was worth it.

rage2
05-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
That's 2. The F1 footer is gone too. :rofl:

eglove
05-14-2015, 10:50 AM
That looks awesome, thanks Rage!

eglove
05-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Now if we can finally lose the stock purple VB buttons and get some blue ones that match beyond blue :p

kenny
05-14-2015, 10:57 AM

I was going to post the same thing :rofl:

D'z Nutz
05-14-2015, 11:01 AM
You fucking idiots! Now we can't ask for any changes until 2017! :rofl:

CompletelyNumb
05-14-2015, 01:16 PM
:thumbsup:

Eg, make the buttons and send them to rage. Maybe he'll be in a charitable enough mood to upload them ;)

eglove
05-14-2015, 01:40 PM
I could do that, what font is used for the beyond.ca logo?

Mibz
05-14-2015, 01:44 PM
But what about these buttons? You can't make them Beyond blue as well!

http://i.imgur.com/XClQTG4.png

BerserkerCatSplat
05-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Mar

l33t h4x0r detected.

CompletelyNumb
05-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Just get a licensed user to download this program for you: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/customizing-vbulletin/vbulletin-templates-graphics-styles/50109-vbuttonpro?threadid=48870

xnvy
05-14-2015, 04:55 PM
But what about these buttons? You can't make them Beyond blue as well!

http://i.imgur.com/XClQTG4.png White buttons with beyond blue text?

Maxx Mazda
05-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
White buttons with beyond blue text?

Negative. Too hard on the eyes when drunk.

Mar
05-15-2015, 12:19 PM
I'll do it for 2 user points.

CompletelyNumb
05-15-2015, 12:57 PM
If you can do it, give yourself the two user points.

eglove
05-15-2015, 03:30 PM
This guy...I was gunna do it for free. Haha

Amysicle
05-15-2015, 08:40 PM

dirtsniffer
05-16-2015, 05:25 PM
Could we get a [TOP] button at the bottom, or another set of
Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Other Stuff > Suggestion/Comment Box/Forum Related Stuff > Why the old version of vBulletin?
at the bottom of the thread? Makes navigation a little bit easier

Originally posted by rage2
Like that?

Originally posted by GoChris
Yes, just like that! Finally thanks! I remember asking if we could get that a long time ago, glad to see it finally.

This is awesome!

D'z Nutz
05-16-2015, 06:18 PM
This guy...I was gunna do it for free. Haha

For your selfless contribution to improving our forums, I would like to propose we give you 2 points for this task :rofl:

blindsight
02-04-2017, 10:52 PM

Tenkara Way
02-05-2017, 12:13 AM
Agreed...

We the members are a second rate concern, it would take the advertisers to make a phone call for this old whale of a site to change. Perhaps if the mobile user numbers were made public the advertisers might care. As is, we all know it is total crap on cell phones, so we don't try. The fact is, half of all website traffic comes from cell phones on responsive websites.

Beyond owners just don't care as long as the cash cow keeps producing and membership numbers show users are leaving. Low traffic and advertisers leave, too late now for the owners.

eglove
02-05-2017, 12:40 AM

For your selfless contribution to improving our forums, I would like to propose we give you 2 points for this task :rofl:

I never got my user rating upped. Lol

Tik-Tok
02-05-2017, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Tenkara Way
Agreed...

We the members are a second rate concern, it would take the advertisers to make a phone call for this old whale of a site to change. Perhaps if the mobile user numbers were made public the advertisers might care. As is, we all know it is total crap on cell phones, so we don't try. The fact is, half of all website traffic comes from cell phones on responsive websites.

Beyond owners just don't care as long as the cash cow keeps producing and membership numbers show users are leaving. Low traffic and advertisers leave, too late now for the owners.

:rofl: How to tell a Beyond newb.

Tenkara Way
02-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:rofl: How to tell a Beyond newb.

And you are... who? Beyond has members leaving and this joke is trying that bully crap like it is his six-year HS. Get a life.

Tenkara Way
02-05-2017, 10:27 AM

killramos
02-05-2017, 10:45 AM

People are leaving because they got old and have better things to do with their lives not because of the board version. Mobile optimized forums blow chunks, I'd rather use beyonds' version.

revelations
02-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Agreed...

I think forums as a whole are losing traffic. Is not just a /b thing. FB and Reddit are more popular.

Tik-Tok
02-05-2017, 11:43 AM

And you are... who? Beyond has members leaving and this joke is trying that bully crap like it is his six-year HS. Get a life.

Says the guy who thinks copying an avatar isn't juvenile, lol. And I'm one of the many people who have been around long enough to know that the owners of Beyond aren't in it for the money.

J.M.
02-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Mobile optimized forums blow chunks, I'd rather use beyonds' version.

:werd:

It's fine the way it is imo

ercchry
02-05-2017, 12:04 PM

He is tiktok... who the fuck are you?! 21 posts, and you think you have the right to demand anything? What's your last username?

R154
02-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by killramos

People are leaving because they got old and have better things to do with their lives not because of the board version. Mobile optimized forums blow chunks, I'd rather use beyonds' version.

Truth.

I love beyond the way it is.

Besides this site was never a cash +ve revenue source. Rage and all the mod staff/redec/Kenny have devoted years of their lives and 10's of thousands of their own money into hardware/bandwidth/hosting. The little money they make they donate back to the community. I didn't see anyone except them pony the money for booths at shows. Or give aways.

I still have my og lanyard and stickers.

Bunch of ungrateful mouth breathers.

People have left because of lifestyle and less carcentric user base. It isn't a forum problem.