PDA

View Full Version : New Compustar install - not sure if it was done correctly

bradm
03-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi,

I just got a Compustar 2WFM-AS installed, but I'm not sure that it was done correctly.

When I lock the doors the remote displays the Locked icon, but it also shows that the door is open. The installer said that this is because my dome light stays on for a few seconds after I close the door.

I think I remember someone saying a while ago that this was a shortcut on the install. That it was just easier to connect to the dome light and use that to tell whether the doors were open or not then to do it properly.

Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone have a Compustar that shows the doors as being closed even when your dome light is turned on?

If they didn't do it right I'm going to take it back and make them fix it, but I want to know what I'm talking about before I go and yell at the installer.

Thanks,

Brad

That.Guy.S30
03-09-2004, 03:55 PM
it depends what car you have. my sisters 01 prelude did that. it was locked and everything but it showed the door still open when we armed the alarm. my subaru doesnt do that. they were both installed by the same guy, which i trust, so im pretty sure its just your car.

Strugari
03-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi Brad,
What kind of car do you have.
Sometimes installers tie into the dome light wire, rather than the door pinswitches.
In some cases a diodes can be placed in line so the remote starter/alarm will only see when the door is open, and not when the light is on.

Gary

bradm
03-10-2004, 09:11 PM
I've got a 98 Dodge Durango.

I've also got an older Compustar on my Chev Malibu (got it around '99 I think) and it does the same thing. It shows that the door is open if the dome light is on, it's just not as obvious on the LCD as it is on the new Compustar.

Brad

Strugari
03-10-2004, 10:53 PM
If the wire is tied to the dome light the delay will show door ajar.

There are two wires for the door pin switches on the Durango.
Black/Blue and Tan/Red Located at a black plug in the drivers kick panel.

The black/blue catches the drivers door and the tan/red catches all other doors. Use both wires and diode isolate each.

99 Malibu is very similar.
The lt. green/black is located in the drivers kick and catches only the drivers door. The lt. blue is located in the harness coming from the drivers running board going under the drivers seat and it catches all other doors. Use both door trigger wires and diode isolate each.

Hope this helps.