PDA

View Full Version : Shell rolling out RFID Chips to Employee's

codetrap
04-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Nitro5
04-02-2015, 01:20 PM
You mean like the swipe cards everyone already carries?

firebane
04-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Nitro5
You mean like the swipe cards everyone already carries?

Oh noes the masses gotta put dur tin foyle hats on .. hurr durr.

Christ even the Car2Go cards are RFID.

Cos
04-02-2015, 01:26 PM

killramos
04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
These cards go a bit farther than an rfid card to swipe into the office...
The capabilities aren't even like RFID ( aka huffpo is wrong). These are triangulating workers positions real time throughout the day from what i am reading?

What kind of rfid id card has a panic button?

these things are basically black boxes for each employee to wear while they are working.

dirtsniffer
04-02-2015, 01:32 PM
When I was in mining all equipment had tracking capabilities and cameras to record the faces of operators. If they looked away or closed their eyes for 3 seconds dispatch was notified and an alarm would go off in the cab. Great safety tool.

Forcing contractors to carry cards so their location can be tracked is a great idea. The mine is a pretty dangerous place. The last thing you need is some dude in a pickup getting lost and ending up in a bad situation. Also very beneficial for people working alone.

Not so great for the maintenance guy looking for a quiet place to sleep through the night shift.

killramos
04-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
When I was in mining all equipment had tracking capabilities and cameras to record the faces of operators. If they looked away or closed their eyes for 3 seconds dispatch was notified and an alarm would go off in the cab. Great safety tool.

Forcing contractors to carry cards so their location can be tracked is a great idea. The mine is a pretty dangerous place. The last thing you need is some dude in a pickup getting lost and ending up in a bad situation. Also very beneficial for people working alone.

Not so great for the maintenance guy looking for a quiet place to sleep through the night shift.

Yup this is nothing but a good idea.

revelations
04-02-2015, 01:46 PM
When I drove/flow around Canada for work as an aerial navigator/surveyor, I was one of the only employees who voluntarily carried a SPOT GPS tracking system that was enabled in real-time. Everyone else seemed to be (unrealistically) averse to this. :dunno:

s dime
04-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Yup this is nothing but a good idea.

Thales of Miletus
04-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Another step toward turning a person into a consumable.

firebane
04-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by revelations
When I drove/flow around Canada for work as an aerial navigator/surveyor, I was one of the only employees who voluntarily carried a SPOT GPS tracking system that was enabled in real-time. Everyone else seemed to be (unrealistically) averse to this. :dunno:

Cause those people are wasting company time doing stupid shit and know it and know they would get canned because of it.

kertejud2
04-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Get every single city employee one of these.

...In the name of safety.

killramos
04-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

if the city rolled this out they would find a way for each card to cost 50 grand :rofl:

and be annually disposable.

Xtrema
04-02-2015, 01:56 PM
New control center console.....

http://d1vnh8mbrp67em.cloudfront.net/image/file/8/eb/66088/2.jpg

Cos
04-02-2015, 02:02 PM

killramos
04-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Have you seen the markets today? LAST thing we need to do is mine more vespene gas.

Post of the month.

I dont give a shit if its the 2nd

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

FraserB
04-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Not shocked unions are upset about it, it doesn't give them a monetary benefit.

This isn't a bad thing. It keeps people out of areas they aren't authorized for and makes it easy to locate people in an emergency since the sign in/out books aren't foolproof.

Traffic_Cop
04-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Strange how some of you put up resistance to this, however want police to have cameras rolling 24/7 and everything tracked...whats the difference?

FraserB
04-02-2015, 02:33 PM
So long as its someone else being “inconvenienced”, people don't care.

Its not like there is going to be sitting at a screen watching every little dot. It would probably be a geo-fence concept with certain areas accessible by specific tags.

Mibz
04-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Have you seen the markets today? LAST thing we need to do is mine more vespene gas. Holy fuck. Amazing.

Tik-Tok
04-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Strange how some of you put up resistance to this, however want police to have cameras rolling 24/7 and everything tracked...whats the difference?

You don't see the difference? Really? People aren't asking for police cams because they think they're slacking off sleeping on the job.

killramos
04-02-2015, 02:36 PM

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks they are a bad idea actually going through the posts? No resistance at all.

ZedMan
04-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Oh come on. You can't be serious.

speedog
04-02-2015, 02:43 PM
I remember from over 12 years ago at TELUS when I was the president of one of the local unions in Calgary, the uproar over TELUS installing GPS tracking devices in their vehicles. The union was in an uproar, employees were in an uproar - my line of though, which I openly expressed, is that if you were doing the job you were paid to be doing, were on time for work, didn't greatly stretch your coffee or lunch breaks and didn't speed, then what was the big deal?

Of course, we had idiots disconnect the GPS units or sabotage them or whatever but in the end, it proved to be no big deal. If you are doing your job as instructed, then there just shouldn't be no problem. Of course, we also had a few over-zealous managers but it wasn't difficult to control them - there's bad apples when it comes to both union employees and management. Fortunately the number of bad apples is far less than the average person, union or not.

EM2FTL
04-02-2015, 02:45 PM

Hahahahahaha

HiTempguy1
04-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Not shocked unions are upset about it, it doesn't give them a monetary benefit.

You guys are a bunch of goofs (singling you out specifically though). If you read the actual article, at WORST, the ONE union rep quoted has an EXTREMELY neutral stance. :banghead:

Originally posted by FraserB
This isn't a bad thing. It keeps people out of areas they aren't authorized for and makes it easy to locate people in an emergency since the sign in/out books aren't foolproof.

I'm not against this system, however, lets be serious; the number of times that this will actually be used in the name of "safety" is slim to none. At the end of the day, all of this data has to be filtered, analyzed, and acted on by HUMANS. All that this will be used for is to point fingers and spread blame if something were to happen. Emphasis on "were to happen" because of how "relatively" safe current plant sites are.

Unless a system like this can be fully automated, including doing the things you suggest, it doesn't make a lick of a difference.

Nitro5
04-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

Every bus and snow plow can already be tracked in real time

carson blocks
04-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I'm not against this system, however, lets be serious; the number of times that this will actually be used in the name of "safety" is slim to none. At the end of the day, all of this data has to be filtered, analyzed, and acted on by HUMANS. All that this will be used for is to point fingers and spread blame if something were to happen. Emphasis on "were to happen" because of how "relatively" safe current plant sites are.

Unless a system like this can be fully automated, including doing the things you suggest, it doesn't make a lick of a difference.

Actually, systems like these have a high degree of automation and I wholeheartedly believe the system will absolutely be regularly used in the name of safety. The company in question takes safety very seriously, and even if there has to be some human intervention at first in filtering the data, the resulting process improvements will improve safety. Data after an incident or close call isn't just about pointing fingers, it's about making sure it doesn't happen again.

Seth1968
04-02-2015, 03:36 PM

Just :facepalm:

codetrap
04-02-2015, 03:49 PM

GTS4tw
04-02-2015, 03:56 PM

You guys are a bunch of goofs (singling you out specifically though). If you read the actual article, at WORST, the ONE union rep quoted has an EXTREMELY neutral stance. :banghead:

It can be fully automated. It will be primarily for safety and reduction in liability. The data is accessed far more often by computers than humans, by a huge margin. This is a massive step forward in safety and WILL result in lives saved.

Read up more about this, it is a great system and IS the future. There are exactly zero downsides to this.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/

RFID Journal is a great resource to start with if you want to understand this more. They keep things very basic and understandable.

From asset tracking to employee safety to inventory this is the way things will be done. Just wait until they decide to use drones to activate the passive cards instead of beacons.....I can hear the uninformed outrage already.

carson blocks
04-02-2015, 04:19 PM
From what I've read online about these systems, you can set up electronic fences around high risk areas and have it alarm if someone enters the zone, or tie it to an electronic permit system and alarm if someone enters the zone who isn't on the permit for that zone. In the unlikely event of disaster, just knowing where everyone is at a site that size could be a huge life saver. I also firmly believe the company when they say they will not use it to track productivity, there are too many HR and union issues to go anywhere near using it for that.

HiTempguy1
04-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Actually, systems like these have a high degree of automation and I wholeheartedly believe the system will absolutely be regularly used in the name of safety. The company in question takes safety very seriously

Do we have a "jerk-off" emoticon? These companies take safety seriously in-so far as to avoid the government taking heavy handed action against them.

I am not saying they aren't safe. And yes, I am sure the system is automated, but if the data that comes out isn't useful to a human, its pointless :dunno:

Its like traction-aids in winter; the concept (some engineer or HR wiz back in some head office somewhere) is heralded as a success, even though traction-aids on boots is dangerous 95% of the time.

Codetrap, while I agree about the comments, you are literally pigeonholing a group based on some facebook comments... really? That's like someone coming on here and associating all of us with Arash's posts :rofl:

GTS4tw
04-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Do we have a "jerk-off" emoticon? These companies take safety seriously in-so far as to avoid the government taking heavy handed action against them.

I am not saying they aren't safe. And yes, I am sure the system is automated, but if the data that comes out isn't useful to a human, its pointless :dunno:

Its like traction-aids in winter; the concept (some engineer or HR wiz back in some head office somewhere) is heralded as a success, even though traction-aids on boots is dangerous 95% of the time.

Codetrap, while I agree about the comments, you are literally pigeonholing a group based on some facebook comments... really? That's like someone coming on here and associating all of us with Arash's posts :rofl:

Can you explain a single downside to this? Even if they were tracking employees movements for productivity sake, please explain the issue?

SKR
04-02-2015, 04:38 PM

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks they are a bad idea actually going through the posts? No resistance at all.

I would hate this, but I don't work there and with any luck I'll never have to.

Mibz
04-02-2015, 04:52 PM
if the data that comes out isn't useful to a human, its pointless Like nearly all actions taken in the name of safety, it's useful in a lawsuit.

And that's all that matters.

killramos
04-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SKR

I would hate this, but I don't work there and with any luck I'll never have to.

Was pointing out traffic cops bullshit and not reading the thread more than anything. When he made that claim not a single person in the thread was resistant to the devices. He came into the thread with his post pre written. Probably why he came off as so much of an idiot in it.

Obviously some people wont like it. Aka the slackers who are afraid of being called out by the data. But there isn't much of an argument against the system aside from perhaps that its a waste of money. But no taxpayer money on it so I don't give a shit what shell wastes it's money on.

SKR
04-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Was pointing out traffic cops bullshit and not reading the thread more than anything. When he made that claim not a single person in the thread was resistant to the devices. He came into the thread with his post pre written. Probably why he came off as so much of an idiot in it.

Obviously some people wont like it. Aka the slackers who are afraid of being called out by the data. But there isn't much of an argument against the system aside from perhaps that its a waste of money. But no taxpayer money on it so I don't give a shit what shell wastes it's money on.

I know, I was just sayin'.

I don't hate the idea as someone afraid of getting caught doing something wrong. I hate any safety program that requires you to do anything other than just be safe. And I hate that those programs exist because people can't take responsibility for their own stupidity.

codetrap
04-02-2015, 06:40 PM

CompletelyNumb
04-02-2015, 07:40 PM

This. Only people against it are the ones afraid of it increasing their productivity.

carson blocks
04-03-2015, 12:14 PM

Whatever the reason might be, and as annoying as many of their safety measures are, when I'm working for one of the majors that takes safety seriously, I know I'm going home uninjured. 10 years ago I would have laughed at that statement, but as I get older and less bulletproof, I realize that has some value. Even if you want to be cynical and say the end result is just to keep the government off their back and WCB premiums down, the end result is still positive, so you can keep your jerk-off emoticon.

I've worked for sites where the safety nazis are in full force, and I've worked at sites (different operator) where I've worked on non intrinsically safe equipment, right next to an open bucket of solvent and crude samples while a guy ripped around site sans helmet on a quad with no spark arrestor, just to give you an idea of their safety culture. Sure, site #2 was more laid back and fun, and had way less red tape required to get a job done, but always left you wondering when the next incident would be. Site #2 has made the papers within the last couple months for a rather large incident and it's not the first time.

Did you miss the part about the system being able to alarm when someone is in a high risk zone without a permit, or an operator immediately being able to find people in a specific area in the case of a hazard or release? That sounds pretty usable to me, by real people. I won't defend the multitude of systems that just churn data up to be analyzed by someone in an office 5000 miles away, six months after the fact, but this one sounds like the opposite of those. I wasn't involved in this particular deployment, but process control systems like this one are my bread and butter, and this honestly sounds like one of the better ones more likely to have a real world value. Maybe do some reading before writing it off due your incorrect assumptions.

You're 100% right on the traction aids on the boots, I think those are dangerous pieces of shit, and have been set on my ass more than once when one came off. I don't just blindly agree with whatever the companies tell me, some of the rules and ideas the safety folks come up with are borderline ridiculous, but it's also pretty stupid to blindly disagree with stuff without researching it.