PDA

View Full Version : Dealership won't allow me to do inspection on the car Im considering buying

ChickenPho
04-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Hoping to see if you someone can help me out. If I buy this car, it would be the first time me buying from a dealership. Im not familiar with their usual routine when it comes to selling used cars.

I have my eye on this car at T&T Honda. The only thing holding me back from proceeding further is that the dealership won't allow me to do inspection on the car. In other words, as I told the sales rep, Im not buying the car unless I can take it to my mech (who is less than 10km away from them) first to do a full inspection.

But they keep deflecting by saying "Its a Honda certified car, all our cars that come in have to meet Safety standards...our inspection is much more thorough than a lot of mech shops" blah blah blah. "Why do you need to inspect it when we already did it?"..."All parts that needed to be replaced, have been replaced".

They showed me a brief service history record and the car report and it looked good aside from one thing that is a potential red flag.

The car had a tranny flush done to it when it came in 2 months ago. It was done right at T&T Honda. I asked them about this, because I always thought that Honda always recommends you stay away from tranny flushing machines done on their cars.

But the sales rep said that they have a flushing machine and they use that on all the used cars that come in to their lot. Is this true? Sounded really odd because I always thought that Hondas recommendation for their tranny flushing is 3-4 repeated drain and fills. NOT using a flushing machine. If someone can clarify this for me, that would be great.

If its true that the Honda dealerships do use flushing machines on their trannies, would this be a deal breaker for you? I hear these machines do more harm than good and can kill your tranny.

About the inspection, they said that pretty much no one asks them ever take the car that they are considering buying to have it inspected by their own mech, when they see that its a Honda certified. Really? You see this being true? Sure a lot of customers may walk in and just buy on the spot once they see that its "Honda certified", but there are still people like me who always get it inspected by their own mech before buying any car, regardless of what the dealership says.

Is this standard for dealerships to not allow their cars to be inspected at customers mech shops?

They said, I would have to buy the car first, then inspect it. If Im not happy, I have 7 days to bring it back for another car. This would just create a lot more running around, paperwork and trips back and fourth to the dealership. Besides, there is no other car on their lot that Im interested in, and obviously you wouldnt get your money back. Regardless, its just creates a lot more fiasco for nothing when you can easily avoid it.

If they cant allow this, then I wont buy the car. Just from past experiences in car buying, I always inspect it with my mech before buying any car.

jdmXSI
04-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Kind of sounds suspicious but if their certification is like other manufacturers, it would need to go through a higher level of inspections. I would just talk to their manager and tell them this is important to you and you are going to buy a car elsewhere if they do not allow you to have it inspected at your mechanic. Bottom line, if something doesn't feel right, don't do it.

What kind of car is it anyway and what is the red flag?

HiTempguy1
04-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Ask them to take the car for a test drive (by yourself). Take it to the mechanic?

At the end of the day, super shady if they won't let you have an independent inspection done.

Sugarphreak
04-03-2015, 08:18 AM

J.M.
04-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Look for another car

ChickenPho
04-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Kind of sounds suspicious but if their certification is like other manufacturers, it would need to go through a higher level of inspections. I would just talk to their manager and tell them this is important to you and you are going to buy a car elsewhere if they do not allow you to have it inspected at your mechanic. Bottom line, if something doesn't feel right, don't do it.

What kind of car is it anyway and what is the red flag?

Its a 2012 Accord Coupe V6.

The red flag is the tranny flush done there using a flushing machine.
Im shocked Honda dealerships have these machines seeing that their recommended way to flush a tranny is 3-4 drain and fills.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Ask them to take the car for a test drive (by yourself). Take it to the mechanic?

At the end of the day, super shady if they won't let you have an independent inspection done.

I could ask for a test drive by myself, but highly doubt they allow it. I know some private and very small used car sales lots will allow it, but dealerships? Even though they have nothing to worry about, if I take off with the car, they can easily get me arrested since they have my drivers license, and all my contact info.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
They are hiding something, I've never had an issue doing a 3rd party inspection

Don't buy it and buy into the BS they will let you return it either

I would just get serious with them, either let a 3rd party inspect it, or you walk. You should walk if they refuse.

Have you bought from T&T before? I always thought this specific dealer has a good reputation. Im not looking for a dealership with 5 star ratings but at least one where theres no BS and this is why I came to T&T.

I will ask to speaker with the manager there and see what it says.

FraserB
04-03-2015, 08:32 AM
I took my truck for a test drive by myself, they had no issues with it at all, just told me to be back by closing.

This was at CMP

NoPulp
04-03-2015, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't buy it without doing your own inspection, that doesn't seem right...

Go back and be firm. Tell them you're getting a 3rd party inspection or not buying. Start walking away.

GQBalla
04-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Walk away. If it was good why would they avoid it

blairtruck
04-03-2015, 08:42 AM
ive taken many cars for test drive by self. and didnt buy any of them.

firebane
04-03-2015, 08:43 AM
Tranny flush machines can do more damage than good. I know someone who had a transmission flush done and within a week the transmission failed.

ap2s2k
04-03-2015, 08:45 AM
T&T honda is reputable dealer so I'm guessing they dont want you to do an inspection because they have already done one. if it was a shady used lot that would be a different storey.

Cos
04-03-2015, 08:59 AM

D'z Nutz
04-03-2015, 09:02 AM
You're sure putting a lot of thought into this. Walk away. It's not like this car is rare or anything. There will be others.

spikerS
04-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
You're sure putting a lot of thought into this. Walk away. It's not like this car is rare or anything. There will be others.

This.

Seriously, it is a 3 year old Accord. You can find them anywhere...

Your story either makes me think there is more to the story, and the dealer is fed up with you, or has reason to believe you have no intention of buying it, so why risk letting it go out.

ChickenPho
04-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by firebane
Tranny flush machines can do more damage than good. I know someone who had a transmission flush done and within a week the transmission failed.

Not good. This could be a deal breaker for me.The only reason I see why they would use the machines is because they are a lot quicker than doing 3 drain and fills.

Originally posted by Cos

Maybe they know they have a decent car and don't want to bother wasting time on you/it.

Thats exactly it. They swear a 3rd party inspection is not needed.

Originally posted by spikerS

Your story either makes me think there is more to the story, and the dealer is fed up with you, or has reason to believe you have no intention of buying it, so why risk letting it go out.

This is the whole story. Ive only made one visit to the dealership and only test driven it once. We actually moved ahead pretty quickly. Im not one who likes to draw out deals.

idriveabox
04-03-2015, 09:33 AM
3x drain and fill is the preferred method. Unless the price is really attractive, I'd wait for another one. The 6spd is a blast BTW.

Sugarphreak
04-03-2015, 09:47 AM

CanmoreOrLess
04-03-2015, 10:30 AM
OP I'd take this personally (race or the way you look, I'm guessing) as there is no logical reason for T & T not allowing a third party inspection. It's you they don't like or trust.

Tell them to stuff it or wear a hidden camera and record the entire process for a nice mini-doc.

Maxt
04-03-2015, 10:54 AM
I went through the same scenario at another brand name dealer. The dealer insisted their shop inspection was as grade A as can be, their mechs were certified journeyman and all was above board blah blah. I held out for a few days, dealer caved and vehicle went in for a third party inspection, which it subsequently failed.
If you are willing to pay for it and it helps the sale, it shouldn't even be an issue.

frozenrice
04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Everyone has different perspectives and if that's going to be a deal breaker for you then walk. Read up on their Honda Certified Warranty to see what it covers and ask them for a Carfax report at the minimum. Chances something that new wont have any issues regardless if it was machine flushed or fill and drained.

Honda Certified has to mean something and have some merit to it otherwise they wouldn't put such a big emphasis on it. If they have it writing somewhere that says it is Honda Certified you shouldn't have any reason to take it elsewhere.

Taking it to a third party for an inspection is like hiring a private home inspector to inspect a newly built house that has already passed city building inspection.

ChickenPho
04-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Taking it to a third party for an inspection is like hiring a private home inspector to inspect a newly built house that has already passed city building inspection.

True, good example, but better to be safe than sorry right? Even if say there was a single leaking strut, I would want that repair fixed and paid by them before I sign anything.

ChickenPho
04-03-2015, 12:06 PM

One last piece of advice; if you do it through a dealer; steer clear of any 3rd party warranties. They are complete and utter bogus. I had something fail that should have been covered, I kept copies of my little oil changes and filled out the stupid chart they gave me exactly as instructed... they denied me citing some wordy piece of fine print. I later found out by testing them on other fake failures that they deny everything regardless of what it is. Don't ever buy them, they are a waste of money!

I dont ever buy ext warranties, but the girl said that 3 years/100k basic comes with the car. So basically engine and tranny would be covered for 1.5-2 years more years cause I drive alot. Would that be enough warranty you think?

Ill be receiving a call back from them on Sat regarding the financing, so ill wait to see what they have to say first on the rates before going further. I know, I know...people usually pick a car first, then file for financing, but I did the reverse simply cause my credit isnt the greatest so I wanted to see what rate they would offer me first.

snowcat
04-03-2015, 12:41 PM
T&T failed the W5 dealership test and had really bad way of handling it.

They pushed cameras out and told them to leave. Wasn't very flattering of them.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/most-new-car-dealerships-fail-mystery-shopper-test-calgary-survey-1.2300369

ChickenPho
04-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by snowcat
T&T failed the W5 dealership test and had really bad way of handling it.

They pushed cameras out and told them to leave. Wasn't very flattering of them.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/most-new-car-dealerships-fail-mystery-shopper-test-calgary-survey-1.2300369

Saw that and yes T&T failed, but that was Eastside Kia who pushed the cameras out. Totally unprofessional. If you dont want to be remembered and stapled on national TV, then you probably shouldnt be shoving cameras.

MGCM
04-03-2015, 03:41 PM
my advice, stay the fuk away from stealerships, I have worked at 4 and never once did I feel I was working for an honest employer. The levels they goto for covering shit up and cheep ass repairs for the used cars in their lots of which 90% are from auction........its disgusting and makes me sick to my stomac that we allowed society to get this far out of control. A society where people with families are willing to rip off other families AND put them in danger from cheep ass repairs to a vehicle that should have been repaired properly. How many techs are on here who have done work on UCD vehicles and had the manager tell you to fix things with duct tape instead of replacing the part? Or worse? Will they speak out? They dont, but they should, get rid of these scumbag dealership managers and owners and MAYBE we can ALL get some fair deals on new vehicles we may wish to purchase.......until then? Well until then we can all expect to be ripped off the moment we step foot inside a stealership.

speedog
04-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by ChickenPho
Saw that and yes T&T failed, but that was Eastside Kia who pushed the cameras out. Totally unprofessional. If you dont want to be remembered and stapled on national TV, then you probably shouldnt be shoving cameras.
For what it's worth, probably 75% if not more of the people in Calgary never watched that W5 show or have even heard of it. Personally, the only reason I become aware of it is because of this forum and I still haven't taken the time to look up that W5 episode.

So in the end, things will continue along as they always have and it will be buyer beware as always. Some people will have great customer experiences at certain dealerships while others will have horrible experiences and in fact, I bet that 75% of the people stepping foot today into that Eastside Kia dealership have never seen or heard of the W5 episode and most of them probably couldn't care less if you brought it to their attention right then.

Hell, I can drive by the new pet place on the NE corner of McKnight and Edmonton Trail and see protesters almost every weekend because that store sells puppies and yet, there are still people regularly going into that store and buying all sorts of stuff including puppies.

Back on topic, the OP should just walk away from this Accord, OP is uneasy about it and like others have said in this thread, it is just not that rare of a vehicle - others are out there for sale. Move on, chapter closed, many people are probably quite happy with the experiences they've had at that T&T Honda dealership.

top_speed
04-03-2015, 05:47 PM
The dealership does not have a tranny flush machine lol. honda does not recommend it, let alone doing it for .5 labour lol. Why not just buy the car and take it to your mechanic and bring it back the next day if something is wrong?

Black Gts
04-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Orrrr a good honest salesman would say do whatever the Fuck you want on your own dime, be back by 5 as I'm going to the strip club and I'm not losing this sale.

TopGearUK
04-03-2015, 08:05 PM
T&T is shady, I don't trust them. You should be allowed to take it for a 3rd party inspection as long as it is from a reputable mechanic. Not Hillbilly Joe's backyard...

My guess is that the vehicle is fine but they just don't have the patience for you and rather sell it to someone else without any conditions. You are right to want to have the vehicle inspected but keep in mind that you have a longer powertrain warranty (if certified).

Go to Honda West...

ChickenPho
04-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
my advice, stay the fuk away from stealerships, I have worked at 4 and never once did I feel I was working for an honest employer. The levels they goto for covering shit up and cheep ass repairs for the used cars in their lots of which 90% are from auction........its disgusting and makes me sick to my stomac that we allowed society to get this far out of control. A society where people with families are willing to rip off other families AND put them in danger from cheep ass repairs to a vehicle that should have been repaired properly. How many techs are on here who have done work on UCD vehicles and had the manager tell you to fix things with duct tape instead of replacing the part? Or worse? Will they speak out? They dont, but they should, get rid of these scumbag dealership managers and owners and MAYBE we can ALL get some fair deals on new vehicles we may wish to purchase.......until then? Well until then we can all expect to be ripped off the moment we step foot inside a stealership.

Thats always how Ive felt about dealerships and why this is really the first time in my life me even considering one from there. I think a lot of people (in fact im almost certain) many people buy from the dealerships for two reasons 1) warranties available with the cars, certified cars, you dont 100% need inspections and 2) Financing. Going to a bank to get a loan to buy a car off Kijiji is a lot more work and many dont want that.

Originally posted by speedog
[B]
For what it's worth, probably 75% if not more of the people in Calgary never watched that W5 show or have even heard of it. Personally, the only reason I become aware of it is because of this forum and I still haven't taken the time to look up that W5 episode.

So in the end, things will continue along as they always have and it will be buyer beware as always. Some people will have great customer experiences at certain dealerships while others will have horrible experiences and in fact, I bet that 75% of the people stepping foot today into that Eastside Kia dealership have never seen or heard of the W5 episode and most of them probably couldn't care less if you brought it to their attention right then.

Good point. Eastside Kia from what Ive heard is suppose to have great service.

ChickenPho
04-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
The dealership does not have a tranny flush machine lol. honda does not recommend it, let alone doing it for .5 labour lol. Why not just buy the car and take it to your mechanic and bring it back the next day if something is wrong?

Thats what Im thinking too! I just cant see any Honda dealer having a tranny flush machine on site, let alone use them on ALL the cars that come in. IF I go ahead with this car, I will have to ask their service manager whether they do this.

There is no way I would trust them when they say I have 7 days to try out the car and swap for anotehr if Im not happy. I take that with a grain of salt and if it does happen, its just so much more work created thats not needed.

Like TopGear said, you can tell just from being there that there is some shadiness going on at this dealership. But thats to be expected, you will see that at every dealership, so its just something you have to be cautious about and be extra careful. There will always be shady people working at every dealership, but there will also be good honest trusting people as well, theyre just slim pickings.

Like the sales girl who has been helping me, she was texting while we were on my test drive, she didnt ask casual questions like "so what do you do for work"..."what do you drive now?"...blah blah blah...and she probably would have rather been at home doing her nails than sitting in a car with me, but that didnt bother me. I couldnt give a damn about the sales person having much of a personality with me when trying to sell a car to me, Im solely focused on the car. Thats why I always prefer test drives alone, so I dont have to be bothered trying to hold a convo with the sales person next to me.

If I go back for a 2nd drive, I will request this, test drive alone and longer than 10mins would be nice. You cant even get the car fully hot in 10mins lol.

MGCM
04-03-2015, 09:55 PM
every dealership warranty is different, and they have all that lovely fine print too, be super cautious, service contracts can be just as shady as sales contracts.

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 08:09 AM
So just from researching, there is 3 issues with the 8th gen accords.

- oil consumption
- rear brakes excessive wear
- paint chipping

Just need to find out how widespread these problems are.

tirebob
04-04-2015, 08:25 AM
So just from researching, there is 3 issues with the 8th gen accords.

- oil consumption
- rear brakes excessive wear
- paint chipping

Just need to find out how widespread these problems are.

By 2012 this is pretty much a non-issue... I guess it is possible it still occurs here and there but really, all cars have some quirks these days...

I have a 2011 V6 EX-L myself and after 70,000kms I have not yet had to do the brakes, never have had to add oil between changes and no issues with chipping (I have a few from rocks but hey, this is Calgary and we might as well have gravel roads)...

The only issues I have had was the heater fan made noise and there is a strange vibration that comes up when it is cold and the revs are dropping down when it is kicked into eco-mode, but in support of T&T Honda I will say, even though I bought the car from Airdrie Honda, T&T Honda's service department has been happy to do all the warranty work and never once gave me any runaround even though I did not buy the car at their site...

Cos
04-04-2015, 09:01 AM

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by tirebob

By 2012 this is pretty much a non-issue... I guess it is possible it still occurs here and there but really, all cars have some quirks these days...

I have a 2011 V6 EX-L myself and after 70,000kms I have not yet had to do the brakes, never have had to add oil between changes and no issues with chipping (I have a few from rocks but hey, this is Calgary and we might as well have gravel roads)...

The only issues I have had was the heater fan made noise and there is a strange vibration that comes up when it is cold and the revs are dropping down when it is kicked into eco-mode, but in support of T&T Honda I will say, even though I bought the car from Airdrie Honda, T&T Honda's service department has been happy to do all the warranty work and never once gave me any runaround even though I did not buy the car at their site...

Thanks.

How do you feel about the 2010 year?

Cause as a backup, I have a 2010 EXL coupe in my view in case the 2012 doesnt work out numbers wise, as long as it doesnt suffer from any of these 3 problems.

From my research, 43022-TA0-A51 Is the new part number for rear pads where the fix has been made. Just need to find out if this has been implemented on 2010 versions and if so, starting which month.

spike98
04-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Just had to laugh at this, friends built an infill, hired an inspector (same guy we used who was good) and he found stuff. Apparently for New Home Warranty it is a good idea to do this. LOL

:hijack:

Bought two houses new, both home inspections found something. Can confirm.

tirebob
04-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Thanks.

How do you feel about the 2010 year?

Cause as a backup, I have a 2010 EXL coupe in my view in case the 2012 doesnt work out numbers wise, as long as it doesnt suffer from any of these 3 problems.

From my research, 43022-TA0-A51 Is the new part number for rear pads where the fix has been made. Just need to find out if this has been implemented on 2010 versions and if so, starting which month.

I think it is the same with most new vehicles... The first model year is the most problematic and every year after the kinks get worked out. 2008 was the first year of that generation and 2012 the last, so 2010 is right in the middle... The later the model year the better IMHO...

Redlyne_mr2
04-04-2015, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't buy that car. What kind of vehicle is it?

Kloubek
04-04-2015, 11:27 AM
I can appreciate a dealership saying they would not feel a private inspection is necessary. But to DENY it is pretty shady. Unless it was like, a secret write-off, I can't imagine anything is going to be so inherently horrible about a 2-year-old car that would keep someone from buying it, but you never know....

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I can appreciate a dealership saying they would not feel a private inspection is necessary. But to DENY it is pretty shady. Unless it was like, a secret write-off, I can't imagine anything is going to be so inherently horrible about a 2-year-old car that would keep someone from buying it, but you never know....

Well it wasnt just for this particular car. I even asked about other cars on their lot, the girl said their dealer doesnt ever allow for 3rd party inspections done on any of their used cars. Which I find really hard to believe.

Should be in touch with the manager there today, so Im curious to see what they say and how this all unfolds. Im just going to cut to the chase and get straight to the point cause I dont want to be wasting my time in a drawn out process.

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Left a message for the GM to call me. He then forwards my message to the sales girl who has been helping me to call me. I talk to her, tell her what I had to tell her, and shes now going to look into it from speaking with the GM and call me back within the hour.

I guess managers are too special to talk to customers. He just couldnt pick up the phone to call me directly? lol

She asked if my mech can go there to do the inspection!!! lol seriously? Wow

Will report back shortly with what they say.

J.M.
04-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Seriously man just stop wasting your time and look for a similar car somewhere else.. Doesn't sound like they are going to give in to a 3rd party inspection.

Did you leave a deposit on the car?

Redlyne_mr2
04-04-2015, 02:03 PM
What a fiasco to buy a car. Move on.

carson blocks
04-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Fuck 'em. It ain't the only used Accord in town. I've never run across a dealership that wouldn't allow an unbiased legit third party shop to perform an inspection at the buyers expense. The car is probably fine, but their attitude would have lost me by now.

tirebob
04-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a shitty salesperson looking to force you into a quick decision...

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 03:09 PM
They just got back to me, said they will go ahead with a 3rd party inspection as long as I pay for it. I book a day to come in and I can take the car over to my mech, or they can send it over themselves.

They looked into the trans flush and said they never used the flush machine on the tranny, just drain and fills.

They also looked into the history of the car and said it was a trade in from an older customer of theirs.

Now just waiting to hear back from financing on what numbers they got me. They said Im pre-approved but just trying to get my numbers down (that doesnt sound good).

If these numbers are too high then I wont go with it anyways and they know. Should hear back on this by today.

MGCM
04-04-2015, 03:20 PM
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT take their word on it being a customer trade-in, ask for proof, then during the 3rd party inspection process you need to get the vin checked. There will be tons and tons of flood damaged vehicles being sold over the next few years, buyers beware!!!

Rocket1k78
04-04-2015, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Not even close lol If the car were brand new your analogy would work but hes looking at a 3 year old car. Yeah its not old but 3 years of driving can take its toll.

I did this 3 years ago at volkwagen on barlow and the sales guy dropped the car off himself for the inspection but it was at lexus though. They might not be hiding things and could very well be protecting themselves from shady people. I know this sounds far fetched but I wouldn't be surprised to hear dealers getting parts swapped out on so called private inspections.

Rocket1k78
04-04-2015, 03:24 PM
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT take their word on it being a customer trade-in, ask for proof, then during the 3rd party inspection process you need to get the vin checked. There will be tons and tons of flood damaged vehicles being sold over the next few years, buyers beware!!!

Agreed! Ask anyone who the previous owner of their car was and its always an old person who doesnt smoke and has no time to drive it lol

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 03:26 PM

Yes if the rates are good and I decide to go ahead, I will ask for docs show that this was a trade in. Do dealers usually keep records of this? Will it show who the customer was and their contact info?

So far, I know two things. The car was originally bought from them, and its been serviced through them.

Whats the best place or site to get the VIN checked if I were to get it inspected? How much does it cost and do you get results back on the spot?

redblack
04-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Get a car proof report

MGCM
04-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

Not even close lol If the car were brand new your analogy would work but hes looking at a 3 year old car. Yeah its not old but 3 years of driving can take its toll.

I did this 3 years ago at volkwagen on barlow and the sales guy dropped the car off himself for the inspection but it was at lexus though. They might not be hiding things and could very well be protecting themselves from shady people. I know this sounds far fetched but I wouldn't be surprised to hear dealers getting parts swapped out on so called private inspections.

lulz not even on brand new cars, Ive seen so many ppl get effed by brand new cars even with full extended warranty. I wish there was a way to have a brand new car 3rd party inspected/tested, not easy to find the lemons till the problems come up. But once they pop up the dealer will fight you at every turn to keep you in that lemon. IMO we need better manufacturing testing and/or stronger lemon laws

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by redblack
Get a car proof report

They showed me one, should I order one for myself? Will this tell me if the car was a flood writeoff or whatever?

I dont have the VIN on me right now, but im on carproof.com checking out the pricing. Are free reports still available?

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I would take the car myself to my mechs shop because I also want to take it for a 2nd test drive on the way there. Hes one of the most honest honda mechs out there. Though mind you, around T&T there are tons of honda mechs in that area.

redblack
04-04-2015, 03:36 PM

They showed me one, should I order one for myself? Will this tell me if the car was a flood writeoff or whatever?

I dont have the VIN on me right now, but im on carproof.com checking out the pricing. Are free reports still available?

It's not a free report, did you see the one the dealer had? Go over it carefully, it should show you the complete history including how many owners it's had in the past.

If you haven't lined up a 3rd party mechanic, try Hu's garage

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 03:40 PM

It's not a free report, did you see the one the dealer had? Go over it carefully, it should show you the complete history including how many owners it's had in the past.

If you haven't lined up a 3rd party mechanic, try Hu's garage

Ya I saw the one they showed me, dont remember if it was a carfax or carproof but it just showed the service records from when it had work done to it at T&T, but didnt show anything about when or how many times it was registered, when it was bought, etc.

They said if I go ahead with this, they can get me this documentation no problem. But wouldnt hurt if I just did it myself.

Thanks for suggesting Hus garage, theyre forsure a good shop. Those guys know Hondas inside out.

Im on carproof.com, just planning ahead...which car proof would I want? There is quickproof for $10, claims for $35 and verified for $51.

Mind you its been like 5 years since I ordered one of these things, but I always thought they were like $25?

D'z Nutz
04-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Why do I get the feeling that if/when something with this car is found wrong, the next questions are "is this a big deal" and/or "is it an easy or cheap fix"?

know1edge
04-04-2015, 04:45 PM

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Saga will continue on Monday. Not gonna hear back from the finance today.

Now that I know I at least can take the car for a inspection, thats great. Also they didnt use the flush machine on the tranny, thats even better.

Its more the curiousity of what rate im able to get more than anything right now cause i have no idea what range it will fall in. Im not getting my hopes up though. If I get a reasonable rate back i would be shocked but i dont see it happening, I think its gonna be high...at least outside my range.

redblack
04-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Saga will continue on Monday. Not gonna hear back from the finance today.

Now that I know I at least can take the car for a inspection, thats great. Also they didnt use the flush machine on the tranny, thats even better.

Its more the curiousity of what rate im able to get more than anything right now cause i have no idea what range it will fall in. Im not getting my hopes up though. If I get a reasonable rate back i would be shocked but i dont see it happening, I think its gonna be high...at least outside my range.

Why would a dealership have a flush machine if they don't use it? I have a feeling they are lying to you to make this sale.

What would you consider a good rate?

carson blocks
04-04-2015, 05:55 PM

Some unsolicited advice here.. If the rate blows, get a beater instead. Yeah, beaters can suck but a couple years of payments saved and credit repaired could save you so much in the end. Too many people get sucked in to high interest car loans and become financially crippled for the next 5+ years.

Make sure you do the math on what the car is really costing (total payment x period + down etc) and make sure it's still worth it. For example, a $25k car over 60mos @10% is actually a $32,870 car. The $500 payment that seems worthwhile month #1 gets old by month #59 when you realize you're still paying $500/mo to drive a 8 year old car (assuming 3yo used car) with almost 200k that's practically worthless.

relyt92
04-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

Some unsolicited advice here.. If the rate blows, get a beater instead. Yeah, beaters can suck but a couple years of payments saved and credit repaired could save you so much in the end. Too many people get sucked in to high interest car loans and become financially crippled for the next 5+ years.

Make sure you do the math on what the car is really costing (total payment x period + down etc) and make sure it's still worth it. For example, a $25k car over 60mos @10% is actually a $32,870 car. The $500 payment that seems worthwhile month #1 gets old by month #59 when you realize you're still paying $500/mo to drive a 8 year old car (assuming 3yo used car) with almost 200k that's practically worthless. :werd: It's like the people that end up paying 450 a month for a 5 year old Caliber or something just because that's the only place that will finance them.

Cos
04-04-2015, 07:43 PM

ChickenPho
04-04-2015, 08:06 PM

Why would a dealership have a flush machine if they don't use it? I have a feeling they are lying to you to make this sale.

What would you consider a good rate?

I dont know forsure if they have a flush machine, one of the guys on here mentioned that they wouldnt have one.

Make sure you do the math on what the car is really costing (total payment x period + down etc) and make sure it's still worth it. For example, a $25k car over 60mos @10% is actually a $32,870 car. The $500 payment that seems worthwhile month #1 gets old by month #59 when you realize you're still paying $500/mo to drive a 8 year old car (assuming 3yo used car) with almost 200k that's practically worthless.

Good point. You're not the first one who has said to me that car payments get old and quickly.

How did you do the math on a 25K car over 60 months @ 10% actually costing you 32K in the end? Not sure how the break down works on cars. I usually take the price of the car plus tax. Take the % rate from that, times it by the number of months of payments and figured that would be the total cost.

If the rate blows, then I'll just stick with my car now and probably drive it til it dies. 200k km honda, so it has many many years left.

J.M.
04-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Man move on. Regardless of how this works out something is going to go sideways but because you've already over-thought it.

A bunch of people have already told this guy to pass on this car lol seems he just doesn't get it :nut:

know1edge
04-04-2015, 09:02 PM

Sugarphreak
04-04-2015, 09:06 PM

carson blocks
04-04-2015, 09:41 PM

How did you do the math on a 25K car over 60 months @ 10% actually costing you 32K in the end?

I plugged it in to a car loan calcualtor on the interwebs. Unlike Sugarphreak, I don't math.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/financing/calc/loanCalc.jsp?mode=full

This calculator says $531.17/mo ($25k,0 down,10% rate,60mos.) Take the total monthly payment, multiply it by the amount of payments you'll make, and add any down you gave. That is what you're actually paying for the car by the end of the loan.

Sugarphreak's numbers are a little different as he is adding GST and I was assuming $25k tax in.

Team_Mclaren
04-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Man move on. Regardless of how this works out something is going to go sideways but because you've already over-thought it.

X2

rx7boi
04-05-2015, 12:58 AM
Mar 2.0!

Subbed to see what happens.

L-O-L

blitz
04-05-2015, 09:52 AM

You have to use a present value formula to figure it out, basically:

Total Cost (Inc tax) = Payment [(1-(1+i)^-t) / i ]

So say your car is 25K + Tax and they give you an annual rate of 10% over 60 months and you put zero down:

25,000 x 1.05 = 26,250$

$26250.00 = PMT [(1-(1+(0.10/12))^-60) / (0.10/12)]

Move the PMT over to the right side of things:
PMT = 26250.00 [(0.008333) / (1-(1.008333))^-60)]

And voila...

Payments = $557.74 per month

Which is $33,500 total cost for a 25k car. It also means it's going to be 4 years until the car is worth more than you owe on it, so you won't be able to sell it without adding cash in yourself.

Stick with what you've got.

ChickenPho
04-05-2015, 10:13 AM

I plugged it in to a car loan calcualtor on the interwebs. Unlike Sugarphreak, I don't math.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/financing/calc/loanCalc.jsp?mode=full

This calculator says $531.17/mo ($25k,0 down,10% rate,60mos.) Take the total monthly payment, multiply it by the amount of payments you'll make, and add any down you gave. That is what you're actually paying for the car by the end of the loan.

Sugarphreak's numbers are a little different as he is adding GST and I was assuming $25k tax in.

Thanks.

Using that link, I did the math on the 2010 $18K model @ 10% with 3K down. I would plan on putting something down. Equals 20,256.

TQuon
04-05-2015, 10:45 AM
You're totally gonna buy this thing aren't you?

relyt92
04-05-2015, 10:51 AM

Thanks.

Using that link, I did the math on the 2010 $18K model @ 10% with 3K down. I would plan on putting something down. Equals 20,256. I just did that and got $22356 over 48 months. 3k down and over 400 a month for a 5 year old accord seems pretty steep.

bourge73
04-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Might as well just buy new? With the low
rates they have why would buy and finance
a used car ?

carson blocks
04-05-2015, 11:36 AM

Thanks.

Using that link, I did the math on the 2010 $18K model @ 10% with 3K down. I would plan on putting something down. Equals 20,256.

So, at the end of the term, you'll be making a ~$350 payment on a 10 year old Honda. Make sure you're happy with that going in. If I was making my last payment today on a 2005 Accord, I'd be pissed at myself.

Sugarphreak
04-05-2015, 11:51 AM

Maxt
04-05-2015, 12:05 PM
They also looked into the history of the car and said it was a trade in from an older customer of theirs.

I am pretty sure that is from section 1(c) Of the How to be a maggot salesperson manual.
In the last 3 month I heard that sales line on every vehicle we got semi serious about but vin tracking through car proof and some dealer resources I had blew holes in the salespersons story of the vehicle.
Oddly enough, the only time it actually was true out of all the sellers I dealt with was with the vehicle I ended up buying.
Most used cars are auction stock, did you get the Car proof and verfiy their story?

relyt92
04-05-2015, 12:57 PM
A new Civic sedan is probably just as nice as an old Accord, and the same price... only more reliable and better financing options This is true, even if you go up to the 2015 Civic SI they're selling them with 0.9% financing which comes to 510 a month over 60 months. That's assuming MSRP and $0 down or trade in.

ChickenPho
04-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

I am pretty sure that is from section 1(c) Of the How to be a maggot salesperson manual.
In the last 3 month I heard that sales line on every vehicle we got semi serious about but vin tracking through car proof and some dealer resources I had blew holes in the salespersons story of the vehicle.
Oddly enough, the only time it actually was true out of all the sellers I dealt with was with the vehicle I ended up buying.
Most used cars are auction stock, did you get the Car proof and verfiy their story?

And I agree that, often that is a lie.

When I was there thurs, the girl showed me a carproof but it didnt show any dates on when the car was registered. It showed service history at the dealer, when it was first bought, any claims and when it was brought in by the dealer.

Whether it was the most comprehensive car proof report, i dont know, I doubt it was. Dealers probably show you the bare bones report just to save them money.

If I end up going ahead, I will be running a carproof on it myself either Monday night or Tues morning (taking it that they will give me the VIN over the phone), and if everything checks out then I will take the car on Tues afternoon to get it inspected. But my guess is that dealers wont give out the VIN over the phone and that i would have to go in to get it.

I will also ask for documentation from them to show that it was infact a trade in. But it might be not needed if I plan on pulling a car proof report on it anyways. Flood damage/titles, stolen, leins, this would all show up on a Carproof right?

So, at the end of the term, you'll be making a ~$350 payment on a 10 year old Honda. Make sure you're happy with that going in. If I was making my last payment today on a 2005 Accord, I'd be pissed at myself.

I would too. Well my goal would be to have it paid off in 3 years (be on a plan where it allows for early payments) but let me hear the numbers first, then go from there.

Originally posted by bourge73
Might as well just buy new? With the low
rates they have why would buy and finance
a used car ?

Theres no way I would get those rates on a new car, not even close. Plus the instant 20% depreciation and 50% depreciation over the first 5 years in owning the car kills it for me.

relyt92
04-05-2015, 01:20 PM
This thread is so similar to Mar's it's crazy.

ChickenPho
04-05-2015, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
This thread is so similar to Mar's it's crazy.

Can you post a link to his thread? WOuld love to read. Thanks

relyt92
04-05-2015, 01:42 PM

Can you post a link to his thread? WOuld love to read. Thanks http://forums.beyond.ca/st/390282/would-you-buy-a-hyundai-veloster/

gwill
04-05-2015, 01:44 PM
You are way over thinking things. If they won't let you inspect it why buy it? You could easily find the same car elsewhere on a different lot if you looked a little harder.

Also in regards to test driving it on your own a dealership shouldn't have an issue with that. When i went car shopping last year i ended up in a few different dealerships and most of them handed me the keys to test drive on my own.

You've made a mountain out of a mole hill. Take the car on a test drive by yourself and take it to your mechanic. Or don't buy the car.. pretty simple.

KK07
04-05-2015, 02:02 PM
lol...how many usernames does this guy have?

ChickenPho = Rondabonda = maxwhinedog = copynpaste

He's the OP in the huge Minute Muffler thread that backfired on him too.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/339487/review-and-rebuttal-minute-muffler-on-32nd-ave-ne/

J.M.
04-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by KK07

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/339487/review-and-rebuttal-minute-muffler-on-32nd-ave-ne/

how do you know this is the same person haha just curious

Disoblige
04-05-2015, 03:35 PM
lol. It would be hilarious if he's copynpaste. Plus, I always compared Mar with copynpaste because both are so similar in that there is just something so off about them. Thank God I never met copynpaste because he seems way worse than Mar.

KK07
04-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by J.M.

how do you know this is the same person haha just curious

A mod would have to confirm but I'm pretty sure it's the same guy.

He made another post like this on RFD as well:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/debating-whether-buy-new-car-1707339/

D'z Nutz
04-05-2015, 04:15 PM

Haha yeah he's the Minute Muffler guy. How do you guys remember this shit? :rofl:

J.M.
04-05-2015, 04:29 PM
wow lol he must be bored or something

:banghead:

stick to your 05 civic bud

carson blocks
04-05-2015, 05:00 PM
How difficult life must be for some people when even buying an economy car is an ordeal..

blitz
04-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
wow lol he must be bored or something

:banghead:

stick to your 05 civic bud

At this point the most realistic option is selling his 05 Civic and picking up an 89 Civic. Use the profit from that to get a life coach.

FixedGear
04-05-2015, 08:50 PM
LOL picky about running OEM Honda coolant http://forums.redflagdeals.com/debating-whether-buy-new-car-1707339/

Rocket1k78
04-05-2015, 09:17 PM

lol how did you guys find this out?

I've been going to Ravi for years and have nothing but praise for him!

Disoblige
04-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Funny that both Mar and ChickenPho drove an 05 civic.

ChickenPho
04-06-2015, 07:12 AM
Yip thats me and I couldnt care less. I havent posted here in years and the ONLY reason why i made this single thread was to look for quick advice since I dont know anyone who follows the auto industry or is really into cars. I now got what I need (thank you to all for the advice) and that's all that matters.