PDA

View Full Version : AI Fit Zone Gym

sputnik
03-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Does anyone go to this gym (on 118th Ave SE in Douglas Glen)? If so, what is it like?

I am looking for a gym in the deep SE. I have been seeing ads for it lately and it is close to where I live. Just looking for an opinion.

If it sucks. Does anyone know of a good gym in the Douglasdale/Mckenzie area that is worth checking out?

Ben
03-09-2004, 06:02 PM
I just went for a tour for it yesturday, seems pretty nice, warehouse style y'know. It wasn't too busy (which I like ) and that was around 6pm. They have eliptical trainers, bikes, aerobics room, b-ball court, and a good selection of weights/universals. They have a tanning room, water massage, and they have masseuses come in too. seems like a good place, though slightly on the pricey side compared to some places promos and such. Its real close to home though which is nice. I'll prolly give it a shot.

sputnik
03-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Cool. I might have to drop in there sometime tonight. They said that it was $50 or $60/month (i cant remember) which seems a bit high for a non-downtown facility and they have you on a "2 year contract" however gyms arent really able to enforce that especially "if you move out of the city" ;).

Did you have a chance to look at the locker rooms? Were they clean? Carpeted?

Any other places in the area that you would consider?

sputnik
04-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Finally got around to checking this place out. Basically a small warehouse with only about 15 cardio machines and a pretty small weights area.

Definately NOT worth the $50/month and 2 year contract required to go. The locker rooms are smaller than my old highschool locker room with only room for about 4-5 people to change at a time. There are also only about 40 lockers so I guess they dont anticipate being busy (or in business for very long).

Anyhow, I am still looking for a gym in the SE (Mckenzie Towne/Douglasdale) so if anyone knows of one worth checking out. Let me know. Considering going to the Shawnessy YMCA, its just a bit of a drive and I think that might hinder me for going regularily.

Ben
04-19-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Finally got around to checking this place out. Basically a small warehouse with only about 15 cardio machines and a pretty small weights area.

Definately NOT worth the $50/month and 2 year contract required to go. The locker rooms are smaller than my old highschool locker room with only room for about 4-5 people to change at a time. There are also only about 40 lockers so I guess they dont anticipate being busy (or in business for very long).

Anyhow, I am still looking for a gym in the SE (Mckenzie Towne/Douglasdale) so if anyone knows of one worth checking out. Let me know. Considering going to the Shawnessy YMCA, its just a bit of a drive and I think that might hinder me for going regularily.
I'll keep a look out, could you please do the same? I'm in McKenzie lake, so I'm in the same boat as you. Whatever results I turn up I'll post up...I aggre with you about AI tho...thats a lot of money for what you get especially with it not being a 24h facility.

sputnik
04-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Ben

I'll keep a look out, could you please do the same? I'm in McKenzie lake, so I'm in the same boat as you. Whatever results I turn up I'll post up...I aggre with you about AI tho...thats a lot of money for what you get especially with it not being a 24h facility.

Yeah. I definately will.

I'm going to take a look at the Shawnessy YMCA tonight. I like the idea of having a Climbing Wall and Lap Pool to use. And generally the YMCA's have been kept pretty modern and clean (especially if you get the "Plus Membership").

The LRT station is supposed to open there in June too so that will make it pretty convenient for me after work. We shall see how it goes. I'll start a new thread about the Y tomorrow!

Ben
04-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Sounds Awesome Man! Looking forward to it.My employer has a full inhouse workout facility and it's cheap (15 a month) but it's not has huge and fancy at a YMCA, however for what I need it might be an option. Will be making a definitve decision come months end.