PDA

View Full Version : Alta. Good Samaritan beaten for standing up for stranger in dispute

speedog
04-05-2015, 09:43 AM
Once again, someone, who apparently lives by quite a different set of morals then most of us, is in custody while someone else is fighting for their life. It is interesting how we all can read of some of Beyond's keyboard warriors who say they'd stomp on someone, maybe not in the same circumstances, but still say they'd beat the hell out of someone using retribution as an excuse. I don't care what the excuse is to stomp on someone's head - it just isn't right as far as I'm concerned unless it's in true self defence of yourself or someone near to you that's unable to defend themselves at the time of any said incident. Assault, even if in retribution, is just plain wrong. That said, my gut feeling is that this 24-year-old Kyle Douglas Giroux is no saint by any stretch of the imagination - most likely someone not even worthy of being associated with pond scum...

GRANDE PRAIRIE, Alta. -- A 45-year-old Alberta man is in a coma after he was assaulted Thursday while defending someone outside a convenience store.

John St. Jean, of Grande Prairie, Alta., is in the University of Alberta hospital on life support with injuries to his head and face.

RCMP have not confirmed details of the attack, but St. Jean's wife says he was standing up for someone outside a Mac's convenience store.

“You know it was a freak accident and John would do it again. If he thought he was defending someone who couldn't (defend themselves) and he thought he had a better shot of holding his own, he'd do it again, I know he would,” Dawn Mackay told QMI Agency.

In an interview with CBC, Mackay said she was told St. Jean interjected after a man called a boy a racial slur. In the altercation, St. Jean ended up on the ground and the other man stomped on his head, she said.

St. Jean's nose is broken in a few places, she said, and a facial bone near the eye socket was broken. He also suffered head injuries.

The first attempt to take St. Jean off breathing tubes didn't go well, Mackay said Saturday.

“They're going to wait another full day, keep him sedated and reduce some of the swelling he has in his facial area and we'll try again tomorrow. I was hoping they'd try again today but they said it's too hard on him,” she said.

“They're not sure if it's a pain response that's causing it or if it's his body coming off of the sedative. It was awful to watch. His body would just tremble all over, just like a seizure,” she said.

Mackay said the family is grateful for the support they've received.

Westjet flew their son and his girlfriend from Nova Scotia to Edmonton to be with St. Jean and a crowdfunding campaign has raised more than $5,000.

24-year-old Kyle Douglas Giroux is charged with aggravated assault and failing to comply with a probation order. He remains in custody until a court appearance on April 8.

[email protected]

Twitter: @DHTJocelyn

Link (http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/04/04/alta-man-beaten-for-standing-up-for-stranger) to Calgary SUN story.

C_Dave45
04-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Sadly this is why I would think twice about jumping in to help any type of domestic situation or any type of assault, robbery, etc. Too many times we see innocent good Samaritans beaten to death.
Hopefully this guy makes it.
POS kid. Waste of oxygen.

CanmoreOrLess
04-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Kyle Douglas Giroux, back to the big house to learn and share more social and society type skills. Reform certain to be right around the corner, I can sense these things.

I avoid Mac's and the like as a rule for this very reason. Unstable customer base 24/7/365.

MGCM
04-05-2015, 03:15 PM
what is with ppl and stomping someone in the head, charge this asshole with attempted murder and lock him away:banghead:

Maxt
04-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Sadly this is why I would think twice about jumping in to help any type of domestic situation or any type of assault, robbery, etc. Too many times we see innocent good Samaritans beaten to death.
Hopefully this guy makes it.
POS kid. Waste of oxygen.
In the heat of the moment, the consequences usually are not as in focus as the need to do what appears to be right.

J.M.
04-05-2015, 04:28 PM
:thumbsdow

Nismorphed
04-05-2015, 04:50 PM
I don't understand how someone could beat someone that bad and not be charged with attempted murder.

yoda124
04-05-2015, 05:06 PM
it was a coward attack from behind. Never turn your back if you're going to get involved in a situation like this.

ZenOps
04-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Too little information to intervene. Also, I'd never physically intervene on a simplistic "name calling" they are just words afterall.

Maybe he was calling the guy a racial slur because he was smacking around one of his hoes? Then how does the picture change.

Rob Anders the Terrorist.

Robin Goodfellow
04-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Many just don't know how to intervene peacefully without escalating their own conflict.

It requires disrupting the other person, without attempting to dominate them.

It can be done, but it's a fine line.

I'm sure there are unmanageable situations that are predestined to go south in a bad way, but I've disrupted dozens of such fights, without ever suffering more than some harsh words.

Robin Goodfellow
04-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Too little information to intervene. Also, I'd never physically intervene on a simplistic "name calling" they are just words afterall.

That would be an unnecessary escalation.

But the alternative is not to stand idly by either.

Just call him on it. Say that's ignorant and rude, and that the boy didn't deserve it. It will be meaningful to the boy, that he knows he is not without support. The words may or may not cause the asshole shame, but it's important they be stated nonetheless.

It could be as simple as "C'mon man ... he did not deserve that in the least".

Some of the keyboard heroes on here may dismiss this as not sufficiently dramatic.

It is speaking truth to power - Whether or not power listens, what is important is that truth is spoken and injustice not given tacit approval.

speedog
04-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps

Maybe he was calling the guy a racial slur because he was smacking around one of his hoes? Then how does the picture change.

Rob Anders the Terrorist.

The guy you're speaking of was a boy, a boy of 10 years of age according to other news stories. Quite some boy if he had hoes at the age of 10.

ZenOps
04-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Ok. How about this completely made up story then:

Guy followed the kid into the 7-11 after seeing him steal from the collection plate at a local church. I'd give a few stiff words to any boy of any race, and I would not expect anyone to try to jump in and talk me down - certainly not get physical.

Guy who jumped in should not have escalated. Impossible given a chance meeting to properly understand the context.

speedog
04-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Wow.

I guess one could fabricate pretty much any kind of a scenario to fit one's needs.

Maybe Z is right, maybe the media were all off their meds when reporting this event.

Thx for clearing that all up, Z.

Thales of Miletus
04-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Sadly, this is why you must be prepared to use deadly force in any conflict.

Robin Goodfellow
04-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus
Sadly, this is why you must be prepared to use deadly force in any conflict.

Unclear if this is freal, or if this is Thales wearing his Steven Colbert hat.

But I disagree. If one is prepared to exercise a graduated, mindful response, it should rarely, if ever, be necessary to get to the point of deadly force.

JRSC00LUDE
04-06-2015, 08:37 AM
No, no, the fact that this happened because someone was prepared to use deadly force is why you must always be prepared to use deadly force. No matter what. Every time.

MalibuStacy
04-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Lady's and gents beware, we have connect three. Robin Goodfellow, ZenOps, and Thales all in the same thread :clap:

mr2mike
04-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Where's Arash?

MalibuStacy
04-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Where's Arash?

Shhh, we don't wanna spook them

englishbob
04-06-2015, 09:15 AM
I intervened in a 'dispute' years ago and got stabbed in the back with a nail file for it.
Hard to stand by and watch sometimes but nowadays its probably the best thing to do.

MalibuStacy
04-06-2015, 09:26 AM
I will admit, in most situations where there appears to be a dispute, I stay near by and assume a lurker position. A few times I have called the cop and just tailed the people having an altercation, this way I do not get involved, but if shit really hits the fan, I could.

CanmoreOrLess
04-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by MalibuStacy
Lady's and gents beware, we have connect three. Robin Goodfellow, ZenOps, and Thales all in the same thread :clap:

The Apocalypse has begun, keep an eye out for "All fresh water turns to blood". It is the end of Times, everyone grab yer bag of nickels and head for the hills.

gkAeris
04-06-2015, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by englishbob
I intervened in a 'dispute' years ago and got stabbed in the back with a nail file for it.
Hard to stand by and watch sometimes but nowadays its probably the best thing to do.

something similar happened to me last year, almost got dragged into a fight ALL because I was helping someone voice something that she couldn't voice...instead of getting into a fist fight I just let the other girl push me a couple of times and then she walked off......wasn't even my fight to begin with, the girl I was helping just walked by without even stepping in....WTF....not worth it....

mind your own business I say.......

Stuart
04-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Was there a thread that started the nickel thing? I've seen it mentioned enough times that there must be a good backstory and search isn't helping me. :confused:

Thales of Miletus
04-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

Unclear if this is freal, or if this is Thales wearing his Steven Colbert hat.

But I disagree. If one is prepared to exercise a graduated, mindful response, it should rarely, if ever, be necessary to get to the point of graduated force.

I learn a lesson when a person pulled a knife on me. You can't have a reasoned response when you are dealing with a nut.

Tik-Tok
04-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Stuart
Was there a thread that started the nickel thing? I've seen it mentioned enough times that there must be a good backstory and search isn't helping me. :confused:

There's no specific thread, just 316 posts by ZenOps that have the word Nickel in it. It was his transition period, from Rob Anders. (552 posts about that)

D'z Nutz
04-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus
You can't have a reasoned response when you are dealing with a nut.

http://myreactiongifs.com/gifs/clooneydoubletake.gif

Arash Boodagh
04-07-2015, 03:27 AM
Im scrolling through World Star Hiphop and then I see these two video thumbnails next to each-other.
Does life imitate art?
http://i.imgur.com/PokRDLH.jpg

R154
04-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Arash, Have you ever been involved in a physical altercation?

killramos
04-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by R154
Arash, Have you ever been involved in a physical altercation?

I am not convinced he's ever been in physical contact with another human being. :rofl:

icky2unk
04-07-2015, 11:27 AM
I saw on facebook the son of the victim said he was helping a young (10 year old boy) out. I can't say many of you wouldn't have intervened with someone picking out on a 10 year old. I came across his facebook page because Westjet had granted his sister a free flight to come visit her dad in the hospital and that was the story on the gofundme page to help cover medical costs as well.

Nonetheless waste of skin.

speedog
04-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by icky2unk
I saw on facebook the son of the victim said he was helping a young (10 year old boy) out. I can't say many of you wouldn't have intervened with someone picking out on a 10 year old. I came across his facebook page because Westjet had granted his sister a free flight to come visit her dad in the hospital and that was the story on the gofundme page to help cover medical costs as well.

Nonetheless waste of skin.
The 10 year old boy was mentioned about 21 posts up - have a peek and see what response that garnered from the metal man.

Supa Dexta
04-07-2015, 12:19 PM
I've seen this story flashing up on my FB... So I googled his name to see what it was about.. And found this..

http://www.news1130.com/2012/09/29/abby-police-warn-women-to-stay-away-from-john-james-st-jean/

Abby police warn women to stay away from John James St Jean
Forty-three-year-old has over 24 convictions, many related to domestic violence

I don't know, but it sure looks like the same guy.. Add to the fact every pic I've seen on FB he has a drink in his hand, and I think there's more to this story.

speedog
04-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I've seen this story flashing up on my FB... So I googled his name to see what it was about.. And found this..

http://www.news1130.com/2012/09/29/abby-police-warn-women-to-stay-away-from-john-james-st-jean/

Abby police warn women to stay away from John James St Jean
Forty-three-year-old has over 24 convictions, many related to domestic violence

I don't know, but it sure looks like the same guy.. Add to the fact every pic I've seen on FB he has a drink in his hand, and I think there's more to this story.

Noticed the same thing and they do both look eerily similar but does that mean the head stomping was justified?

Would be interesting to find out if these two men are one and the same.

Supa Dexta
04-07-2015, 12:28 PM
I'm just suspect of the whole story. He's a known hot head who drinks a lot from what I can see. Who knows what happened.

If he has spent most of his adult life beating women, it sure changes the tone of the story doesn't it?

Tik-Tok
04-07-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm just suspect of the whole story. He's a known hot head who drinks a lot from what I can see. Who knows what happened.

If he has spent most of his adult life beating women, it sure changes the tone of the story doesn't it?

I don't think it's the same guy. They look similar, but the woman-abuser would be 44, Good-Samaritan is 45, and good Samaritan has a much more receded hairline, and is a lot greyer as well. It's not impossible to lose that much hair in 2-1/2 years, but I just don't think it's him. He's also got some deeep facial lines.

Supa Dexta
04-07-2015, 12:52 PM
If you go on the fb support page, I see this:

So there's a man literally going back years of my father's history trying to bring negativity instead of positivity. My father yes has a bad past and made mistakes, but he's also did the time and paid for those acts and has become a changed man

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grande-Prairie-supports-John-Stjean/415747381930993?fref=ts

Whatever that is about. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
04-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Really, regardless of what may be his past, was he doing something right in this instance? If so, then he doesn't deserve that kind of beating in my opinion.

That and, regardless of the guy's story, some kids are scared of losing their father right now. Not shoes I'd like to be in, nor one's I'd will on anyone else. :dunno:

01RedDX
04-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Robin Goodfellow
04-07-2015, 06:38 PM

A bit.... But it also underscores my previous point: That when intervening, is one trying to stop a fight through de-escalation, or just taking advantage of a a situation to feed one's conflict hunger.

In this case, it looks like the second.... And the moral of the story is that this incident should not deter others from intervening peacefully and sensibly when they see injustice.