PDA

View Full Version : Kids are Fat.

Thales of Miletus
04-06-2015, 05:58 PM
An Announcement was made today, that 30% of kids are now morbidly obese.

What the heck is happening. When I was in high school, there were maybe 3 fat kids in a school of 1,800 students. And you knew those three had some genetic disorder.

I can't think that it is the tech revolution that has done it. I am thinking that the fault lies in High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Perhaps it is time to ban that shit in Canada.

I also think it is time to start to investing in recreational facilities, instead of blowing billions on healthcare.

Arash Boodagh
04-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Its starts with banning corporate junk food ads and endorsements on television. How can peasants like us compete with the daily brainwash machine of the empire?

YYC_A4
04-06-2015, 08:38 PM
It's a matter of lifestyle. We're far too sedentary and car-dependant, compared to the rest of the world. This, coupled with growing portion sizes and easy access to calorically-dense convenience foods, explains the dramatic increase in obesity rates.

Before building more recreation centres or banning ingredients, we need to encourage more physical activity in our daily routines. We need to stop segregating where we live, work, shop, and play, and embrace the notion of working, shopping, and playing within walking distance of where we live. The benefits of a more 'human' scale aren't limited to physical heath; pedestrian traffic increases safety and security, and builds community.

Just my two cents.

max_boost
04-06-2015, 08:47 PM
more fat kids and fat adults on beyond than I have seen in 3 weeks Asia

NoPulp
04-06-2015, 09:10 PM
processed foods, sugar, lack of activity, life style.

Or the government is secretly fattening us up to serve to aliens. :eek:

JRSC00LUDE
04-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Derp! Ban the brainwashing!!! Ban all the things!!! How can the government hater Arash want to trust them to do something good?!

(when not being overly dramatic the philosopher is right, high fructose corn syrup is the devil.)

AndyL
04-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Mmm high fructose corn syrup :drool:

Thales of Miletus
04-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Mmm high fructose corn syrup :drool:

Stimulates hunger. Slows down your metabolism. Converts stem cells to fat cells. Causes insulin resistance. Is a substance that your liver has no idea what to do with, so the liver turns it to fat.

Tik-Tok
04-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Sugar and/or fat = fucking deliciousness, that's why.

I really can't blame a kid. Can't blame the parents much either when most have to both have jobs these days to not be poor, and fast food and M&M places are so quick and easy.

ZenOps
04-06-2015, 09:51 PM
nuh uhh, its Genetically Modified high fructose corn syrup.

JRSC00LUDE
04-06-2015, 09:53 PM
Now I'm just talking out of my ass here, like a few of the resident crackpots, but would high fructose corn syrup even have been a thing (well, to such a massive degree) had it not been for so many government sponsored incentives to grow corn?

scboss
04-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
Its starts with banning corporate junk food ads and endorsements on television. How can peasants like us compete with the daily brainwash machine of the empire?

The sad part is that it's usually the parents that brainwash us not company's. I was lucky to grow up poor/middle class and we cooked everything minus the odd trip to mcds.

I'm 29 years old and the last 15 years has changed tons in terms of technology and convenience. When I was in Jr high/highschool the only way to find out about friends was to meet up with them or call them. Now you can go on facebook, log onto your ps4, group Skype calls etc.

I was lucky that my parents took me to sign up for sports and let me choose whatever I wanted from a very young age.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

Got a link to this announcement? "Morbid obesity" has a medical definition and I honestly find it surprising that 30% of Canadian children meet that criteria.

MGCM
04-06-2015, 10:31 PM
kids are not fat, mankind is fat:whipped:

Feruk
04-06-2015, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Got a link to this announcement? "Morbid obesity" has a medical definition and I honestly find it surprising that 30% of Canadian children meet that criteria.
That was my first thought too. It's likely just another statistic that Thales intentionally misquoted to make it seem way worse than it actually is. Overweight maybe, morbidly obese definitely not. I expect now we'll see Thales try to talk his way out of it, but provide no link.

killramos
04-07-2015, 07:10 AM
I think this is an effect of weight being overmedicalized. its become an obsession.

In some ways i think its a counter to the recent "love your body" movements.

But then again last time i went into the doctor they did their little bmi calculation and said i was a couple bmi points overweight :nut: . I just looked at them ( doctor had a wasteline double mine ), and i said i could fit through the damn bars in jail so you need to revise your assessment. The studies look like at BMI usually which anyone who is tall and relatively athletic will get an overweight score. If i dropped my bmi down 3 points i would look sickly imo...

Now kids, i think they should naturally be more trim personally. Crazy metabolisms, growing, always running around. If you are a bit pudgy it is because you are eating to much shit, not much else to it.

Plenty of time to develop a gut when you are 40.

blownz
04-07-2015, 08:05 AM
People are lazy and I totally blame the parents.

My kids (6 and 8) look almost too skinny and they eat a ton. But they are really active and we push that and always have. They are not allowed to watch any TV or use their ipods Monday to Thursday. And then only an hour a day Friday to Saturday plus one movie. There are tons of other things to do. Yet they still have snacks and we still have junk food in the house. Most parents let their kids play video games and watch TV all the time do a horrible job of having their kids eat right and staying active.

My most parents are just brutal. When I drop my kids off in the morning at the YMCA (before and after school care) I see so many parents that will 1. park in handicap or drop off only parking to save them from walking an extra 50 feet, 2. Push the button to open the automatic door rather than pulling open the door, and 3. Use the elevator rather than go up one flight of stairs.

It is totally ridiculous and not that hard to at least try and show your kids good habits.

That said, I am 5'10" and average between 185 and 190lbs and my scale says I am obese so what do I know lol

CapnCrunch
04-07-2015, 08:10 AM

What the heck is happening. When I was in high school, there were maybe 3 fat kids in a school of 1,800 students. And you knew those three had some genetic disorder.

I can't think that it is the tech revolution that has done it. I am thinking that the fault lies in High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I also think it is time to start to investing in recreational facilities, instead of blowing billions on healthcare.

I blame internet forums.

sputnik
04-07-2015, 08:10 AM

Moms are now working at a higher rate than ever.

Home cooked meals are at an all time low.

Moms no longer teach their daughters and sons how to cook because they don't know how to cook either.

People are eating frozen processed foods from the freezer aisle at Costco

Kids aren't allowed to play outside because "it's dangerous".

killramos
04-07-2015, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by blownz
People are lazy and I totally blame the parents.

My kids (6 and 8) look almost too skinny and they eat a ton. But they are really active and we push that and always have. They are not allowed to watch any TV or use their ipods Monday to Thursday. And then only an hour a day Friday to Saturday plus one movie. There are tons of other things to do. Yet they still have snacks and we still have junk food in the house. Most parents let their kids play video games and watch TV all the time do a horrible job of having their kids eat right and staying active.

My most parents are just brutal. When I drop my kids off in the morning at the YMCA (before and after school care) I see so many parents that will 1. park in handicap or drop off only parking to save them from walking an extra 50 feet, 2. Push the button to open the automatic door rather than pulling open the door, and 3. Use the elevator rather than go up one flight of stairs.

It is totally ridiculous and not that hard to at least try and show your kids good habits.

That said, I am 5'10" and average between 185 and 190lbs and my scale says I am obese so what do I know lol

The truth has been spoken /thread

Blaming corn syrup for you being fat is about as bad as blaming the spoon. If you don't want HFCS in your life then don't eat it, that's a personal choice. Anything else is just ban culture because people don't want to take responsibility for their own problems.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-07-2015, 08:32 AM

Assuming it's going by BMI, 5'10" 190lbs is in the middle of the overweight range, not obese.

Disoblige
04-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

.. Can't blame the parents much either when most have to both have jobs these days to not be poor, and fast food and M&M places are so quick and easy.
Of course you can blame the parent. Such a shitty excuse if you're a parent and you're doing this regularly. Once in a while is fine, but it's not that hard to spend 45 minutes everyday making a home cooked meal for your family. For things that take longer than 45 minutes, just takes a little extra planning but again, lots of things you can do. Use a slow cooker, etc.

masoncgy
04-07-2015, 08:50 AM
^ Do you have kids? Just out of curiousity.

BavarianBeast
04-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Huh. I would of thought the opposite for kids in the range of 14-18. These days I am seeing WAY more kids in the gym. When I was in jr.high/high school NO girls were into fitness/working out, these days it seems the gym is just full of these young girls. I think the same would go for boys but it is not as noticeable to me as I was in the gym at 14 and I know that a lot of my friends were too, but never were any girls our age.

Disoblige
04-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
^ Do you have kids? Just out of curiousity.
Nope, but I knew someone was going to say that to me.

I cook for myself almost everyday, and I could also cook for 2 for my gf everyday as well. And if I had a kid, I would even put more effort into cooking healthy because that's my kid I'm talking about here, who's still growing and learning good eating habits.

It was until the beginning of high school that I learned good eating habits and as a parent, I feel they play a significant role for their child in this. No excuses.

So the "you don't have kids so you don't know what you're talking about" defense is really a bad one. It's the level of commitment you have to your life and family. No one said it's easy, but it's definitely doable.

killramos
04-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Huh. I would of thought the opposite for kids in the range of 14-18. These days I am seeing WAY more kids in the gym. When I was in jr.high/high school NO girls were into fitness/working out, these days it seems the gym is just full of these young girls. I think the same would go for boys but it is not as noticeable to me as I was in the gym at 14 and I know that a lot of my friends were too, but never were any girls our age.

For every kid you see in the gym there are easily 5 sitting at home eating cheesies and playing xbox.

Though there are more now hitting the gym overall there are less involved with general physical activity like organized sports etc. This is all in terms of ratios btw.

Robin Goodfellow
04-07-2015, 09:00 AM

Does it need to be either/or?

It's also parents, who do not themselves present the proper athletic role models for kids.

If a kid grows up seeing a parent escaping to their phone/tablet every few minutes, guess what the kid's going to grow up to do?

If the parents head to the all you can eat buffet and load up, instead of the gym, guess what the kids are gonna do?

It's a problem with many facets.

EM2FTL
04-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Re: Statistics, PHAC data from 2010 says 1 in 4 Canadian kids are overweight or obese - http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/hp-ps/hl-mvs/framework-cadre/intro-eng.php

HiTempguy1
04-07-2015, 10:28 AM
They are not allowed to watch any TV or use their ipods Monday to Thursday. And then only an hour a day Friday to Saturday plus one movie.

Uh... wow.

Not that kids do not need to be regulated... but damn dude. I thought my parents were bad growing up! Then again, at 14, I went and got a job and just started buying stuff for myself. Hard to take something away from somebody when they bought it with their own money :dunno:

MalibuStacy
04-07-2015, 10:40 AM
I knew this thread would spiral, just didn't think it would happen this quickly lol

mazdavirgin
04-07-2015, 10:48 AM
I assume all of beyond is fat and doesn't fit into their pants based on the sweatpants thread :dunno:

Swank
04-07-2015, 12:05 PM
I blame Meghan Trainor for telling young girls it's ok for them to be fatties.

At least we're not Texas sized...yet. I'll still never forget the one time I had a stopover in Houston airport, I thought they were filming a 2nd 'Weird Al - Fat' video. People were massive :eek: When I went to buy a snack I could get a choco-chip muffin the size of a volleyball for $1. If our convenience foods ever get as cheap as they are in the US, things are going to get a lot worse here.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/2f251d40ec36d2365953af56df8ac599/tumblr_mfi0b8wJNP1rsmpx3o1_500.png

blownz
04-07-2015, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Uh... wow.

Not that kids do not need to be regulated... but damn dude. I thought my parents were bad growing up! Then again, at 14, I went and got a job and just started buying stuff for myself. Hard to take something away from somebody when they bought it with their own money :dunno:

Remember they are young kids and if given the opportunity they would play all day on their ipods or Wii. We do lots of stuff as a family and they are seldom bored. I am just trying to set them up for later. By the time they are in their teens I won't have much control over their actions and I don't want to have a ton of rules, but if they start good habits now hopefully it will continue. :thumbsup:

Also, Monday to Friday I leave the house with the kids at 6:45am and my wife gets home with them around 5:45pm. After supper and a bit of homework there is no time for TV/video games.

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Assuming it's going by BMI, 5'10" 190lbs is in the middle of the overweight range, not obese.

I have never liked BMI. It doesn't consider frame size, or the amount of muscle a person carries.

When I was in my twenties I was 275 and about 12% body fat. Now I am about 30% while only 30 pounds more.

Evidently having higher blood pressure and a few extra pounds benefits you when you get older. So I should live to be 140.

M.alex
04-07-2015, 03:09 PM
this made me lol

http://i.imgur.com/cdSKLd7.jpg

mazdavirgin
04-07-2015, 03:10 PM
When I was in my twenties I was 275 and about 12% body fat. Now I am about 30% while only 30 pounds more.

:rofl: Like hell you were. 275 at 12% bodyfat? Shit man you should have been mister Olympia because that's way better than Arnold at his prime.

Fat people always thinking they are way lower body fat and that BMI is wrong. :facepalm:

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
this made me lol

I think when Coke Classic came out Coke made the switch from glucose to fructose.

I do believe all Coke slurpees are glucose however.

killramos
04-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

:rofl: Like hell you were. 275 at 12% bodyfat? Shit man you should have been mister Olympia because that's way better than Arnold at his prime.

:rofl:

R154
04-07-2015, 03:15 PM

I have never liked BMI. It doesn't consider frame size, or the amount of muscle a person carries.

Evidently having higher blood pressure and a few extra pounds benefits you when you get older. So I should live to be 140.

I'll keep you guys informed. My A1C is 10 so I have a lot of work to do. I have a type 1.5 diabetes.

Current weight 143. Goal 100.

I'll post the results every week or so.

p.s. Is Becel, Atkins friendly?

Hmm. So...?

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:17 PM

Fat people always thinking they are way lower body fat and that BMI is wrong. :facepalm:

Yeah because you know me.

Arnold was 4% body fat when he won.

You also cut for competitions, which will lower your weight incredibly.

You should really know what you are talking about before you lose your shit on blogs. Muscle weights far more than fat by volume. So BMI is worthless for body builders.

KRyn
04-07-2015, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by R154

Hmm. So...?

Hahaha, this guy is such a plug.

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:19 PM

Hmm. So...?

Down nine pounds in a week. But the first bit is always easy.

killramos
04-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Uh oh someone called Thales out on his BS, here comes a 3 page derail.

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Hahaha, this guy is such a plug.

And the keyboard warriors unleash themselves.

HiTempguy1
04-07-2015, 03:22 PM

Remember they are young kids and if given the opportunity they would play all day on their ipods or Wii. We do lots of stuff as a family and they are seldom bored. I am just trying to set them up for later. By the time they are in their teens I won't have much control over their actions and I don't want to have a ton of rules, but if they start good habits now hopefully it will continue. :thumbsup:

Also, Monday to Friday I leave the house with the kids at 6:45am and my wife gets home with them around 5:45pm. After supper and a bit of homework there is no time for TV/video games.

I'm not really calling you out on it :) I agree that if you get at it when they are young, hopefully they'll self-regulate a bit better when they can take their freedom whether you are willing or unwilling to give it to them.

It just seems a bit overly harsh. Then again, I didn't have a super nintendo until I was probably 8 or 10? Shit was different in the early 90's :rofl:

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Uh oh someone called Thales out on his BS, here comes a 3 page derail.

Never miss a chance to insult someone do you?

I seriously wonder if some of you guys have ever stepped in a gym.

R154
04-07-2015, 03:28 PM

Down nine pounds in a week. But the first bit is always easy.

My friend I am confused, you said you weighed 30 lbs more than when you were 275 and cut. This puts you at 305 lbs @ 30% by your own admission.

However, in a separate thread you said your current weight was 143 and you had a goal of 100 lbs.

I am confused.

I am not calling you out, I am just wondering if you have a secret weight loss formula? PM me if you don't feel like disclosing exactly whats going on there. I am genuinely curious.

Disoblige
04-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Ouch, didn't think someone of Thale's supreme intellect could fuck up like this. Rookie mistake.

mazdavirgin
04-07-2015, 03:30 PM
I seriously wonder if some of you guys have ever stepped in a gym.

I seriously wonder how you can think you were 275lbs at 12% body fat. Then again you are a "bodybuilder" so perhaps you can post up some shots from your competitions as proof.

Maybe you were bodybuilding yourself into a sphere with donuts?

codetrap
04-07-2015, 03:31 PM

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:33 PM

My friend I am confused, you said you weighed 30 lbs more than when you were 275 and cut. This puts you at 305 lbs @ 30% by your own admission.

However, in a separate thread you said your current weight was 143 and you had a goal of 100 lbs.

I am confused.

I was talking in kgs. If I typed 100 lbs I meant Kgs.

143 kg is 314 lbs. I have lost 9lbs, that puts me at 305. 30 lbs more than 275 is 305lbs.

I am simply cutting all the bad shit. And slowly changing over to an Atkins diet. The hardest thing for me to cut is milk. But Soy isn't too bad.

dirtsniffer
04-07-2015, 03:34 PM
275 and 12% body fat.. it's not unbelievable but it sure as shit isn't likely. probably need to be atleast 6'5" to pull that off.

post pics or ban

R154
04-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Fair enough Sir.

Good luck.

PS: you can drink milk as a diabetic, you just need to make sure you stay in that 130-160g carbs. Not skim, 1% or 2%. Skim has much more sugar.

Cutting all carbs out will spike your insulin when your liver reacts. Don't go atkins.

Get a req to see a nutritionist, you can see one through your diabetes clinic or a specialist.

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Actually, according to Arnold he came down to around 8% for competitions.

Well I will have to re-read his bio then.

People like Colman come down to 4%. But they do a lot more vitamin S than Arnie did.

Ronnie Coleman walks around at 340 and is only 5'11" he cuts down to 310 for competition.

p.s. I was actually being self deprecating when I said I am currently at 30% body fat, but the keyboard warriors saw a chance to insult and couldn't pass it up.

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Fair enough Sir.

Good luck.

PS: you can drink milk as a diabetic, you just need to make sure you stay in that 130-160g carbs. Not skim, 1% or 2%. Skim has much more sugar.

Cutting all carbs out will spike your insulin when your liver reacts. Don't go atkins.

Get a req to see a nutritionist, you can see one through your diabetes clinic or a specialist.

Yeah, I know you can drink milk. But Atkins makes some great claims for cutting both A1C and rises HDL.

I will either kill myself or get better. If I don't get back to you, send flowers to...... ;)

One of the reasons I weight more than the average person of my size, is that I have scheuermann's disease. I didn't think I would be attacked with so much vile. But if people need to know, I will throw that out there.

In my case scheuermann's left me with a very large chest cavity and large organs. For example I have a very large lung capacity to make up for a lack of breathing depth.

Originally posted by KRyn

I wasn't insulting the fact that you are overweight. I was gawking at what were potentially two contradicting statements.

25 years of aging changes your body radically.

Sorry for assuming that you were insulting me, your post fell in with the people who were trolling me.

KRyn
04-07-2015, 03:44 PM

p.s. I was actually being self deprecating when I said I am currently at 30% body fat, but the keyboard warriors saw a chance to insult and couldn't pass it up.

I wasn't insulting the fact that you are overweight. I was gawking at what were potentially two contradicting statements.

dirtsniffer
04-07-2015, 03:45 PM

People like Colman come down to 4%. But they do a lot more vitamin S than Arnie did.

Ronnie Coleman walks around at 340 and is only 5'11" he cuts down to 310 for competition.

How tall are you?

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

How tall are you?

I have scheuermann's disease I was supposed to be 6'4" but lost several inches to the disorder. However my organs and everything else grew to a size matching a person of that height.

This gives me a very large girth and my back has developed very thick muscle in an attempt to counter the effect of scheuermann's.

I am telling you this to make you aware of the effect of the disorder, not in an attempt to prove myself.

M.alex
04-07-2015, 04:04 PM

I have scheuermann's disease I was supposed to be 6'4" but lost several inches to the disorder. However my organs and everything else grew to a size matching a person of that height.

This gives me a very large girth and my back has developed very thick muscle in an attempt to counter the effect of scheuermann's.

I am telling you this to make you aware of the effect of the disorder, not in an attempt to prove myself.

post a picture

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 04:08 PM

post a picture

My disablitiy is not meant for the ammusment of others. I am happy to tell you all about it however.

If you would like to look at a person with a mild case of the disease, look at Lucic.

blownz
04-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'm not really calling you out on it :) I agree that if you get at it when they are young, hopefully they'll self-regulate a bit better when they can take their freedom whether you are willing or unwilling to give it to them.

It just seems a bit overly harsh. Then again, I didn't have a super nintendo until I was probably 8 or 10? Shit was different in the early 90's :rofl:

Oh it is all good. But it isn't as strict as it seems. If there is a rainy day and we don't have much else to do the kids will get extra time. They just know it is the exception and not the norm. I may be German, but Hitler I'm not. :thumbsup: :drama:

scboss
04-07-2015, 05:02 PM

The only time coleman even came close to 4% was his first win and he weighed under 260 lbs. If Dorian Yates didn't get injured coleman would have lost.

As his career went on he gained muscle but his conditioning only got worse. In his last contest he was 296 and had a massive gut (not fat)from all the juice. Very few bodybuilders ever get to 4% and are more likely in the 6-8% range.

If your looking for the guy with the lowest bf% ever in bodybuilding look no further then Andreas Munzer. He was around 2-4% but he also died from taking his bf that low.

Back to the original topic. Pretty much the average standard for bf% are
Male 16-22
Female 18-26%

Below or above these numbers both have there own health risks. This becomes even more apparent for females dropping below 15% and anyone being over 30%

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by warcaster

The only time coleman even came close to 4% was his first win and he weighed under 260 lbs. If Dorian Yates didn't get injured coleman would have lost.

As his career went on he gained muscle but his conditioning only got worse. In his last contest he was 296 and had a massive gut (not fat)from all the juice. Very few bodybuilders ever get to 4% and are more likely in the 6-8% range.

If your looking for the guy with the lowest bf% ever in bodybuilding look no further then Andreas Munzer. He was around 2-4% but he also died from taking his bf that low.

Male 16-22
Female 18-26%

Below or above these numbers both have there own health risks. This becomes even more apparent for females dropping below 15% and anyone being over 30%

Perhaps the test I had done was not correct. But I had a lot of muscle on me in my twenties. I carried concrete up and down stairs all day back then.

I have found that my scheuermann's makes me weight about 30 lbs more than other people my size.

It is odd that people wouldn't believe that I could be in great shape back then, when I freely admit that I am in horrible shape now. I don't know what their motivation is for throwing a tantrum, but the internet is what it is.

scboss
04-07-2015, 08:36 PM

Perhaps the test I had done was not correct. But I had a lot of muscle on me in my twenties. I carried concrete up and down stairs all day back then.

I have found that my scheuermann's makes me weight about 30 lbs more than other people my size.

It is odd that people wouldn't believe that I could be in great shape back then, when I freely admit that I am in horrible shape now. I don't know what their motivation is for throwing a tantrum, but the internet is what it is.

If your referring to me I have no doubt that you were in better shape before otherwise why would you state it? With that said I also know alot about bodybuilding and fitness in general.

All I was stating is your information about bodybuilders is false and droping that low has serious health implications.

In the end you could have been jacked and at 12% but does it really matter? Just focus on what you need to do now and stop worrying about your past.

ZenOps
04-07-2015, 08:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population_milestones

Peak fat will hit soon for sure, peak population I won't ever see.

I get the feeling peak fat is pretty much tied to peak oil. Oil is pretty much the engine that allows for cheap plentiful food.

Too bad our generation used it all up on weekend plane trips to Cabo. Sorry guys, if the Hadron collider doesn't create an infinite power source black hole - then you are going to have to live with less.

Ode to the tastiest dish ever, fried fish made with the now nearly extinct Atlantic Cod. Its always the tastiest stuff that goes extinct.

We are definitely at peak clean water. There is no way that nature can keep up with the rate we are polluting the water. Bill Gates and his supersewage treatment plant will become a vital and huge growth industry in the future.

msommers
04-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Where's the link to the morbid obesity statistics?

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 09:16 PM

All I was stating is your information about bodybuilders is false and droping that low has serious health implications.

I know that dropping to 4% is dangerous. But many of the people I worked out with would cut to very low levels before competing. Perhaps we were all using a bad method of measurement in those days. A hydro test was the best indicator. But we all used a device that strapped to your arm and measure the water content.

What do you think of myostatin inhibitors?

msommers
04-07-2015, 09:56 PM
So where's the link stating that "30% of kids are now morbidly obese"?

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by msommers
So where's the link stating that "30% of kids are now morbidly obese"?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/timi-gustafson/obesity-problem_b_6753416.html

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/canadas-fittest-and-fattest-regions/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/31-of-canadian-kids-are-overweight-or-obese-1.1154456

scboss
04-07-2015, 10:54 PM

What do you think of myostatin inhibitors?

I personally think it's a scam. I've never dabbled in anything I just work hard in the gym and fuel my body properly. Sure I've made mistakes along the way but nothing has effected my health minus a few injuries.

I've been able to maintain 10-16% bf just off eating by tracking my macros.

Also even at 12% which I hit last summer I already had a well defined 6 pack and alot of leg separation. This was tested both by calipers and dunk tank.

Not only that I've consistently added 1 lb of lean mass per month over the last 2 years and I'm weighing in around 214-217 when I wake up.

Khyron
04-07-2015, 11:16 PM

Male 16-22
Female 18-26%

The women is right - 10-15% for elite or sub-elite runners but dudes can easily drop into the 5-7% range and be perfectly fine.

Even a taller elite white runner like Ryan Hall is 5'10" @ 130 lbs and doesn't look like a stickman.

JRSC00LUDE
04-07-2015, 11:17 PM

nvr mind, not worth it.

Thales of Miletus
04-07-2015, 11:33 PM

I personally think it's a scam. I've never dabbled in anything I just work hard in the gym and fuel my body properly. Sure I've made mistakes along the way but nothing has effected my health minus a few injuries.

I've been able to maintain 10-16% bf just off eating by tracking my macros.

Also even at 12% which I hit last summer I already had a well defined 6 pack and alot of leg separation. This was tested both by calipers and dunk tank.

Not only that I've consistently added 1 lb of lean mass per month over the last 2 years and I'm weighing in around 214-217 when I wake up.

I don't like to cheat either. But with age and injuries I can use all the healthy help I can get. Ultimately I am not after size anymore. Just long muscles that will allow for an increase of flexibility.

Perhaps the natural myostatin inhibitors are a scam. However I have heard work is being done to create a pharma grade inhibitor for people who have muscular dystrophy.

There is a Dog called Wendy the Whippet who has a myostatin disorder. The disorder doesn't cause cardiac muscle to grow, just skeletal.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag472/C_is_for_Cookie/wendy1_zpsvhqbsyc6.jpg (http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/C_is_for_Cookie/media/wendy1_zpsvhqbsyc6.jpg.html)

Wendy next to a normal whippet.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag472/C_is_for_Cookie/wendy-smallest_zpsllqjtxex.jpg (http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/C_is_for_Cookie/media/wendy-smallest_zpsllqjtxex.jpg.html)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myostatin-related_muscle_hypertrophy

M.alex
04-08-2015, 01:26 AM

My disablitiy is not meant for the ammusment of others. I am happy to tell you all about it however.

If you would like to look at a person with a mild case of the disease, look at Lucic.

so you're almost 300lbs @ 12%bf and you think we'd laugh at you if you posted picture.........

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 01:55 AM

so you're almost 300lbs @ 12%bf and you think we'd laugh at you if you posted picture.........

I said I am 305 and about 30% body fat.

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 01:58 AM

I said I am 305 and about 30% body fat.

I said I was fit 25 years ago, and some people here lost their mind. Which I don't really understand but will credit to peoples desire to mod content.

msommers
04-08-2015, 02:04 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/timi-gustafson/obesity-problem_b_6753416.html

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/canadas-fittest-and-fattest-regions/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/31-of-canadian-kids-are-overweight-or-obese-1.1154456

None of those say morbid obesity. Also two of those are from 2012 and the other is from the end of February this year. Not exactly groundbreaking that people are getting fatter.

FYI, morbid obesity is a BMI of 40 and over.

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 02:52 AM

The truth has been spoken /thread

Blaming corn syrup for you being fat is about as bad as blaming the spoon. If you don't want HFCS in your life then don't eat it, that's a personal choice. Anything else is just ban culture because people don't want to take responsibility for their own problems.

I think there is a lot of stuff in our food that we cannot control. Antibiotics can make you fat, as can all of the hormones. HFCS is often referred to as sugar, instead of fructose. Labels are misleading as well. I don't know if Canada is better than the states. But in the states ads and labels can legally be full of shit.

For Example, almost 10% is actually 2%. Or children preform better on this cereal. When the better is compared to nothing at all.

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by msommers

None of those say morbid obesity. Also two of those are from 2012 and the other is from the end of February this year. Not exactly groundbreaking that people are getting fatter.

FYI, morbid obesity is a BMI of 40 and over.

I guess you are right. I looked at the image they included in the third link and considered that morbidly obese.

Morbidly obese is 40%? My doctor told me I was morbidly obese at 30% because I also have diabetes. I hope I am not 40% fat and I misheard him.

God good, if I am 40%, I better go drink a tape worm.

scboss
04-08-2015, 03:34 PM

I think there is a lot of stuff in our food that we cannot control. Antibiotics can make you fat, as can all of the hormones. HFCS is often referred to as sugar, instead of fructose. Labels are misleading as well. I don't know if Canada is better than the states. But in the states ads and labels can legally be full of shit.

For Example, almost 10% is actually 2%. Or children preform better on this cereal. When the better is compared to nothing at all.

Lol apples can make you fat to. Putting blame on anything but yourself is just nonsense. Calories in vs calories out.

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Lol apples can make you fat to. Putting blame on anything but yourself is just nonsense. Calories in vs calories out.

I am not blaming, I just would like better info.

I simply do not want Alberta to go down the path of the US. Where labels on paint thinner can say, " Now with 40% more vitamin C".

p.s. I used to lift 120s with my eyelids.

Since so many are asking for a picture.

Here I am. My BMI is supposedly 42.8. I don't think it is near that.

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag472/C_is_for_Cookie/42%20bmi_zpswdrt0zym.jpg (http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/C_is_for_Cookie/media/42%20bmi_zpswdrt0zym.jpg.html)

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 07:35 PM

It turns out that environmental chemicals can affect children in the womb.

Here is another article (link below) which suggests chemicals may mimic hormones in the body.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240639.php

rage2
04-08-2015, 07:49 PM
oh snap, you are Toma!

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by rage2
oh snap, you are Toma!

Yeah, I shunk and converted to a Ford man. ;)

Toma has little ears, I am blessed with something that women can hold onto.

killramos
04-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by rage2
oh snap, you are Toma!

Also only. Few more posts and my prediction of a 3 page derail comes true.

Spoons made me fat. Ban spoons.

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 09:31 PM

Also only. Few more posts and my prediction of a 3 page derail comes true.

Spoons made me fat. Ban spoons.

You don't think that environmental concerns are relevant?

Cows piss out huge amounts of antibiotics and hormones into the water system. Farmers are using chemicals that are approved by corrupt systems.

Kids today are not fat, because they are lazy. They are just like the kids from 20 years ago and 100 years ago. Something has changed.

But whether you think it is social or environmental, society has to change the fat epidemic simply to save the healthcare system.

I personally think there should be tax breaks for fit people. And I am currently not fit, so I wouldn't benefit. I simply want to see a better society.

whiteout
04-09-2015, 08:52 AM
You'd have a hell of a time pushing through a tax break for fit people. The people claiming that "genetics" made them fat would be screaming about discrimination.

Consumption tax on junk food would be much better. Even if you just taxed soft drinks and most fast food, you'd probably make a dent in the issue.

FixedGear
04-09-2015, 09:15 AM

You don't think that environmental concerns are relevant?

Cows piss out huge amounts of antibiotics and hormones into the water system. Farmers are using chemicals that are approved by corrupt systems.

Kids today are not fat, because they are lazy. They are just like the kids from 20 years ago and 100 years ago. Something has changed.

But whether you think it is social or environmental, society has to change the fat epidemic simply to save the healthcare system.

I personally think there should be tax breaks for fit people. And I am currently not fit, so I wouldn't benefit. I simply want to see a better society.

Kids are fat because parents are lazy. Go look in the freezers and pantries of North Americans, and 90% of them will be filled with pizza pops, frozen meals and potato chips. Processed foods are all carbs, sugars, and fats. Fats normally wouldn't be so bad but all the carbs and added sugars change the way they are metabolized. Obesity is mainly due to north Americas obsession with these foods.

codetrap
04-09-2015, 09:22 AM

FixedGear
04-09-2015, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I also have to wonder if there's been alterations in what is considered a "fat" kid. It wouldn't be the first time that a definition change has suddenly made what wasn't a problem now an epidemic!! Hell, even AHS did it with the wait times. They didn't reduce wait times, they just changed what the definition of waiting was to make it look better.

everyone in north america (kids included) is getting heavier by the year. http://www.gallup.com/poll/150947/self-reported-weight-nearly-pounds-1990.aspx

It's 100% diet - and not how much we eat, but what we eat. when everyone goes home, they should grab that jar of spaghetti sauce, peanut butter, frozen lasagna - anything - it's all loaded with refined corn sugars. that's why north america is fat.

people are shocked these days if you chop your own vegetables and make stuff from scratch. think of how often you see people buying flour versus Wonderbread.

zipdoa
04-09-2015, 09:50 AM

p.s. I used to lift 120s with my eyelids.

What does that even mean? :nut:

Here I am. My BMI is supposedly 42.8. I don't think it is near that.

That's a lovely back-double-bi selfie, but the extra baggy shirt isn't really helping anyone understand anything about your body composition.

Originally posted by whiteout
Consumption tax on junk food would be much better. Even if you just taxed soft drinks and most fast food, you'd probably make a dent in the issue.

This. Making garbage food more expensive than healthy choices is a step in the right direction.

FixedGear
04-09-2015, 09:53 AM
People on Lyle mcdonald forums would definately call that pic obese lol

Thales of Miletus
04-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

That's a lovely back-double-bi selfie, but the extra baggy shirt isn't really helping anyone understand anything about your body composition.

I am fat. Trust me.

I was simply showing people what scheuermann's disease looked like. Extra girth, no neck.

I didn't mean to make the topic about myself. I was simply concerned with todays youth and the future cost to the health care system.

If the problem is that society isn't pushing kids to be healthy, that has to change.

If the problem is that kids and adults are being bombarded by chemicals and hormones, then corporations should be footing the health related costs, instead of the public.

zipdoa
04-09-2015, 12:21 PM

I am fat. Trust me.

I was simply showing people what scheuermann's disease looked like. Extra girth, no neck.

Missed that portion of the thread. Read page 1, jumped to page 5 :angel:

BMDUBS
04-11-2015, 01:23 PM

The labels are crap. Why is there no daily percentage of dietary intake of sugar on nutrition labels?

scboss
04-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS

The labels are crap. Why is there no daily percentage of dietary intake of sugar on nutrition labels?

Because sugar is a carb and they track carbs on the container. If you actually add up the calories its no different. But it will give you diabetes and other health problems. Realistically though should there be a recommended sugar intake?

Ive been a trainer for 4 years now and Im telling you its all about portion control with shit food and cooking alot. Ive had people lose over 90lbs just by starting to cook for themselves and use apps like myfitnesspal to look up foods when they eat out.

You can blame everyone but in the end WE make choices. Unfortunately for kids its the parents that help build bad habits and thats just how it is.

3kRo1O3qem0

max_boost
04-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Most big bosses are fat obese looking so just focus on being rich = no fucks given hah

killramos
04-11-2015, 04:56 PM
I have changed my mind. Spoons don't make me fat. 3 Dollar Teen Burgers make me fat :rofl: