PDA

View Full Version : Best Spark plug???

GingeRRRBeef
09-27-2002, 08:38 PM
I was just wondering what the best spark plug were and how much of a difference performance spark plug make over stock

thanx a bunch

Illusionsir
09-27-2002, 08:49 PM
IMO i think going with a higher grade spark plug wont do anything
for performance on your engine. i have found thru the internet that most motors tend to gain a tiny bit of power from colder spark plugs i.e. zex plugs and none from "platnium plugs".

if your using it for just performance a performance mod on a N/A
motor i dont see it mattering at all if you plan on doing a forced induction setup you wont really gain power just a better cylinder temp for engine durability.

GingeRRRBeef
09-27-2002, 09:01 PM
what's this colder spark plug????

Redlyne_mr2
09-27-2002, 09:51 PM
for an na it doesnt really matter...whats nice about the iridiums an dplatinums is that they last longer...for a turbo I'll only use copper plugs...everything else is shit in my opinion

Illusionsir
09-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
what's this colder spark plug????

Tipically used on a Forced induction setup. its used to counter
act the extra heat produced by the sudden increase in dense air and fuel.

by all of a sudden jamming alot more air and fuel in to the motor, the temperature of the cylinder becomes alot higher. by using a colder spark plug it actually reduces the heat produced in the combustion cycle by sending in a colder charge and in most cases it will lead to a more efficent burn to the cycle of combustion.

basically it just reduces the heat in your cylinders.

2000impreza
09-27-2002, 10:41 PM
i use ngk coppers. they are cheap so i replace them quite often. the expensive plugs is just a waste of money.

LaughingTiger
09-30-2002, 08:48 PM
.............................NGK platinum, you change your plugs every

couple of years, may as well get good ones

5.9 R/T
09-30-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Illusionsir

Tipically used on a Forced induction setup. its used to counter
act the extra heat produced by the sudden increase in dense air and fuel.

by all of a sudden jamming alot more air and fuel in to the motor, the temperature of the cylinder becomes alot higher. by using a colder spark plug it actually reduces the heat produced in the combustion cycle by sending in a colder charge and in most cases it will lead to a more efficent burn to the cycle of combustion.

basically it just reduces the heat in your cylinders.

Actually the difference between a cold(er) plug to a hot(er) plug is the ability of the plug to transfer heat away from the electrode. For example, the truck uses a fairly 'hot' spark plug because it is a low compression NA motor so the plug needs more insulation around the electrode or else it would cool between power strokes. Whereas a FI setup uses a colder spark plug because of higher combustion temperatures, the electrode would get too hot and basically burn itself out over time. So use too hot of a plug and the electrode will crack and deteriorate much quicker, use too cold of a plug and deposits will build up on the electrode, like carbon, and eventually get to the point where there is too much resistance to fire.

Like I said in another thread with a similar topic, check with other owners of the same motor and find out what they have had success with. Every motor is different, just because NGK works best in hondas does not mean it will work best in your nissan.

Edit: Using too warm of a plug can also lead to detonation (pre-ignition), which obviously leads to hotter EGT's which illusion was refering to.

CLiVE
09-30-2002, 11:42 PM
I'm going with NGK coppers. I heat range colder than stock.

Illusionsir
10-01-2002, 12:36 AM
actually i was refering to the importance to understand that spark plugs CANNOT create heat, only remove it! The spark plug works as a heat exchanger, pulling unwanted thermal energy away from the combustion chamber and transferring the heat to the engine's cooling system. The heat range is defined as a plug's ability to dissipate heat. 5.9, your talking about pre-ignition and fouling. to much power for the spark plug leads to pre-ignition and not enough leads to fouling.

in identical spark plugs, the differences from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.

you made a very valid point but what you said was only one of the spark plugs 2 main functions. i mearly stated the second!

:devil:

5.9 R/T
10-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Illusionsir
actually i was refering to the importance to understand that spark plugs CANNOT create heat, only remove it! The spark plug works as a heat exchanger, pulling unwanted thermal energy away from the combustion chamber and transferring the heat to the engine's cooling system. The heat range is defined as a plug's ability to dissipate heat. 5.9, your talking about pre-ignition and fouling. to much power for the spark plug leads to pre-ignition and not enough leads to fouling.

in identical spark plugs, the differences from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber.

you made a very valid point but what you said was only one of the spark plugs 2 main functions. i mearly stated the second!

:devil:

Meh good point! But next time use your own words! LOL!

Isn't this copyright infringement?

Taken from: http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark.htm

"It is important to understand that spark plugs CANNOT create heat, only remove it! The spark plug works as a heat exchanger, pulling unwanted thermal energy away from the combustion chamber and transferring the heat to the engine's cooling system. The heat range is defined as a plug's ability to dissipate heat."

and

"In identical spark plugs, the differences from one heat range to the next is the ability to remove approximately 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. A projected style spark plug firing temperature is increased by 10°C to 20°C."

hahaha, i'm a jackass! :devil:

95TsiAWD
10-01-2002, 10:38 AM
If you have a turbo car and you're making decent power (your idea of decent is probably different than mine) then go with the cheap copper NGKs, one to two ranges colder than stock depending on mod level.
I've been using the 7 range coppers (stock is 6) and end up replacing them about every 1.5-2 months during race season (who whoulda thought 24psi wears plugs out quickly? :) )

Illusionsir
10-01-2002, 05:05 PM
reguardless it still seconded my point.

GT2NV
10-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by LaughingTiger
.............................NGK platinum, you change your plugs every

couple of years, may as well get good ones
NGK irridiums:thumbsup:

95TsiAWD
10-02-2002, 12:58 PM
A friend of mine spoke with the NGK reps at a conference they were having in saskatoon. They recommended going one range colder than stock for every 50hp extra you're putting out.
Also they are working on making iridiums in colder than stock ranges :thumbsup:

shadowz
10-03-2002, 03:19 AM
Denso irridiums are great plugs but expensive

Probesport
10-04-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
i use ngk coppers. they are cheap so i replace them quite often. the expensive plugs is just a waste of money.

Every couple years? How about every couple months (weeks sometimes) for some of us!