PDA

View Full Version : Renu Auto Appearance

anarchy
04-08-2015, 09:27 AM
I wasn't paying attention and was backing into my parkade stall when I scraped the side of my car :banghead: There's damage on the quarter panel, bumper and bottom skirt.

I went to get a quote from a body shop who will blend in the paint and clear coat, still waiting for them to send me the estimate. I was also recommended to go to Renu Auto Appearance and they do more a spot treatment and the estimate came out to what should be half of what the body shop will likely come out to be. They would only take about a day and half to do the job vs. the body shop.

Has anyone used them before and any experiences to share? I'm sure the body shop would do a more thorough job but as long as Renu does a good enough job that aesthetically it looks good, I'm not sure I should care for half the price.

realazy
04-08-2015, 09:42 AM
I've used them for a bumper scrape. It came out perfect. Wouldn't know it ever happened.

Only thing was when they masked they missed the gap and got some over spray on headlight in the gap. Never bothered to remove the headlight to get that off as it's not noticable at all.

When I was there, they had tons of dealership cars there to fix little scrapes. You would never know it's been fixed, which is how it should be.

anarchy
04-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Awesome thanks for the feedback.

That's more or less what I was hoping for. I've read their Google reviews and they all seem to echo the same sentiment.

I'll probably give them a shot, thanks!

killramos
04-08-2015, 02:45 PM
is this place basically another chippy?

realazy
04-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by killramos
is this place basically another chippy?

I think the story was that the two Chippy's split after some conflict and Renu is the result of the north Chippy's changing names.

shadowz
04-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Had a friend looking into this service as well, he touched the pillar inside his underground parking lot. Post some pics if you do get it refinished

spike98
04-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Very interested also, wife scraped a post going out of the carwash on saturday.

Can they correct minor body work as well or just paint?

Seth1968
04-08-2015, 03:39 PM
Micropaint is another option. They do minor body work too.

anarchy
04-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Very interested also, wife scraped a post going out of the carwash on saturday.

Can they correct minor body work as well or just paint?

Yeah minor body work too. Mine isn't just paint, it's dented in a bit on the quarter panel so they're going to pull it out.

jdmXSI
04-08-2015, 04:34 PM
We use them for all minor touch ups for the dealership i work at

max_boost
04-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Micropaint.

navdeep
04-09-2015, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Micropaint.

how much that cost if you dont mind me asking

killramos
04-09-2015, 06:49 AM
I would be careful about the chippy, micropaint, etc. jobs if you have metallic or other expensive paint on your car. It is much harder to smoothly blend.

The dealer comped me a chippy repair on my GTI when i showed up for pickup and the bumper had been rubbed. After a few tries ( left it out in the rain after painting it :facepalm: causing it all to bubble up ) they got it pretty good on simple tornado red normal paint. If you knew where to look for it you could see the difference, including a slight haziness to the clear coast versus the surrounding. They also over sprayed a bit onto the edge of my trim which never did come off.

They are a great service for the small stuff, cant beat the price. But it is NOT a proper repair and has sacrifices associated.

I personally wouldn't use them ( as in any of the services) on my new car.:dunno:

As for costs the invoice for my GTI was ~280 dollars i believe, for much less damage than max boost shows.

Homerrca
04-09-2015, 10:00 AM
I am planning on checking out Renu today. It felt like every rock out there decided to visit my car's hood, fenders etc. If I end up using them, I will send in a review.

spike98
04-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Homerrca
I am planning on checking out Renu today. It felt like every rock out there decided to visit my car's hood, fenders etc. If I end up using them, I will send in a review.

I am also going to stroll in this afternoon to have the wifes oops quoted.

anarchy
04-09-2015, 03:56 PM
I booked in for the 27th so I'll share my experiences after.

Thanks for all the feedback.

max_boost
04-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by navdeep

how much that cost if you dont mind me asking <500 and it looks good but a proper job is the way to go ie. Contemporary

max_boost
04-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Btw micropaint fell apart a year later and had to get It redone. Short term solution imo

BAB Inc
04-09-2015, 06:20 PM
I paint bumpers for 400 bux (subject to color and damage) and we paint the entire thing. IMO its just not worth spraying 1/4 of a bumper because you always see a difference, maybe not right away but eventually it will fade differently and wont stand up to our city's rocks!

Another problem with renu and chippy is then rarely remove the bumpers and trim, and you cant scuff the panel or bumper properly in those tight areas, and that will cause the paint to peal. Seen it 100 times and repaired many jobs after chippy.

They are perfect for the used car dealerships that are selling the unit and don't give a shit.

Homerrca
04-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Stopped by and they checked my car. The only damage I have is small rock chips on the pillars, hood and a couple on the side. When I spoke to them, they mentioned that mine are quite small (which they are) and the cost to get them all fixed was around 350 (I don't have the quote in front). They would polish the car and repair the chips.

The chips could be noticeable if looked closely but I did look at a few vehicles they were finishing up on and I had a hard time seeing any of the previous scratches, chips.

Going to book an appointment and go from there. In a few years if we decide to keep the car and SC it, we will get a complete paint job done.

I have to say they were quite busy.

spike98
04-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Homerrca
Stopped by and they checked my car. The only damage I have is small rock chips on the pillars, hood and a couple on the side. When I spoke to them, they mentioned that mine are quite small (which they are) and the cost to get them all fixed was around 350 (I don't have the quote in front). They would polish the car and repair the chips.

The chips could be noticeable if looked closely but I did look at a few vehicles they were finishing up on and I had a hard time seeing any of the previous scratches, chips.

Going to book an appointment and go from there. In a few years if we decide to keep the car and SC it, we will get a complete paint job done.

I have to say they were quite busy.

I think i was just after you (charger?).

I agree they are quite busy and the $350 is the standard cost for a full bumper to bumper cut and polish. It also includes minor paint touch ups as required.

They aren't confident they can help me with my repair given the location and type of damage. It was nice hearing the guy be upfront and honest.

Tarrantula
04-10-2015, 10:04 AM
I have a chip in my passenger door about the size of a quarter (slightly smaller) and its down to the metal now. Where would everyone recommend I take it for a good blend for a decent price? Any range on what I should expect to pay?

Easier to paint the door shell?

Any opinions welcome.

Homerrca
04-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by spike98

I think i was just after you (charger?).

I agree they are quite busy and the $350 is the standard cost for a full bumper to bumper cut and polish. It also includes minor paint touch ups as required.

They aren't confident they can help me with my repair given the location and type of damage. It was nice hearing the guy be upfront and honest.

Yup that was me in the dark charger. They advised me that my chips are not bad and they can repair them.

It is nice to see a company that is honest and advise you if they can do the work.

soupey
04-20-2015, 10:29 AM
these guys are great, they won't push or oversell anything if it's out of their scope or beyond what is necessary. I've taken my car and my sisters' car there and they both came out perfect.

botox
04-20-2015, 12:40 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for Renu. I did a hack job with trying to fix a 2" tail gate scratch with touchup paint and Renu was able to fix it up perfectly. On another visit some asshat did a hit-n-run on our parked car and scratched the bumper and Renu touched it up at no charge.

zipdoa
04-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Are these guys a good choice for detailing? Or would Mobile Reflections be a better choice for that

spike98
04-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Are these guys a good choice for detailing? Or would Mobile Reflections be a better choice for that

Quality i would say would be on par but it would come to price or availability. Call both to get a cost and date then choose.

max_boost
04-28-2015, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Are these guys a good choice for detailing? Or would Mobile Reflections be a better choice for that Mobile Reflections is amazing. Jed is a master at the craft.

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2015, 10:15 AM
I need to get a little thing touched up as well, I think someone rubbed a shopping cart on some plastic on my car. Very minor, but I'd like it gone. Renu looks pretty good. I noticed Detailz used to also do small repairs, but they seem to have taken that part of their website down - anyone know if they still do them? I only ask because they are way closer to me than Renu.