PDA

View Full Version : Slower traffic keep right....

C_Dave45
04-08-2015, 02:56 PM
What's your take? Interesting discussion arose from this article the other day:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/04/06/guess-what-road-rager-you-were-caught-on-video-and-the-cops-have-it

So, the whole "slower traffic keep right" rule of thumb...where do you feel it applies? In this situation?

Interesting to see some comments first. I contacted CPS about it, but I'll wait while I go get some popcorn.

Ov7PIFD-lm8

Tik-Tok
04-08-2015, 02:59 PM
On Mcknight, does not apply. Not that's it's written anywhere, but my own opinion is "slow traffic keep right" on 4 lane >80km/h roads only.

flipstah
04-08-2015, 03:02 PM
2 or less, it doesn't apply.

4 or more, yes to slow traffic keeping right.

3 is why the middle lane exists.

ercchry
04-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Toby Holysh is kind of a dense twat... in my opinion.

for sure the instigator... guy was clearly fucking with the ford that entire time

Sugarphreak
04-08-2015, 03:05 PM

Tik-Tok
04-08-2015, 03:06 PM
After watching the video, I don't even see how this applies...

Instead, as the truck pulls ahead, the Ford suddenly swerves around Holysh’s red car and cuts back in so close that Holysh is forced off the road on to the shoulder.

The truck was in front of him before he went into the shoulder, and I didn't see any evidence of brake checking?

Edit: Sugarphreak beat me to it.

USED1
04-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Guy in the escape is a dick but so is the guy in the car. Why do people feel the need to be the "police" and block guys like the escape in from speeding. If he wants to speed and run the risk of getting a ticket let him, who are you to police the roads.

I say both guys are in the wrong and can get fucked.

whiteout
04-08-2015, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
So, the whole "slower traffic keep right" rule of thumb...where do you feel it applies?

It applies on any road where the signage is posted. If it's not posted, you're SOL.

Swerving was 110% un-needed, jumping out and trying to start a fight was not needed. Probably get a talking to or a failure to signal a lane change at worst. Aggressive driving isn't illegal.

Seth1968
04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
- Red car speeds up so the SUV can't pass.

- Yellow cube break checks the SUV more than once.

- No need to hit the shoulder. The SUV was already fully in front of the red car when he swerved to the shoulder.

- "got out of the car to get his plate". Maybe, but the video shows you were also very angry.

Edit- Took too long to post that, and others beat me to most of it.

C_Dave45
Originally posted by ercchry
Toby Holysh is kind of a dense twat... in my opinion.

for sure the instigator... guy was clearly fucking with the ford that entire time

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
That story doesn't line up with what happens in the video.

While the guy in the Explorer make a tight pass, he didn't run him off the road. Looking at the video, the guy in the car was clearly trying to block him from passing, and then had a fit when he got by, and tried to overtake him on the shoulder.

Originally posted by USED1
Guy in the escape is a dick but so is the guy in the car. Why do people feel the need to be the "police" and block guys like the escape in from speeding. If he wants to speed and run the risk of getting a ticket let him, who are you to police the roads.

All part of another topic...What say you, as to the original question.

Thales of Miletus
"He almost rear ended me five times".

Maybe you should have got out of his way. Then reported him to the cops.

Losing your shit over driving is a symptom that their is something seriously wrong in your life.

ercchry
04-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by whiteout

It applies on any road where the signage is posted. If it's not posted, you're SOL.

or... dont be a twat on the roads... if someone wants by and you can accommodate it... FUCKING DO IT!!!! its common curtsy, but that went out the window years ago. i blame the internet

http://www.candyology101.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

samo147
04-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by USED1

i agree...

guy should have just let him pass instead of driving the same speed as the truck..

if he was more defensive and aware of his surroundings this would never have happened...

never drive the same speed next to another car
give yourself an exit route and allow others to pass should they choose to.

USED1

All part of another topic...What say you, as to the original question.

Sorry, forgot to answer the original questions as driver like this piss me off. I think the slow traffic keep right should apply on all 2 lane or greater "higher" speed roads (>70 km/hr).

Tik-Tok

its common curtsy, but that went out the window years ago. i blame the internet

Yeah, curtsies aren't common anymore. Damned internetz.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lno44rCD261qblf8do1_500.gif

C_Dave45
04-08-2015, 03:13 PM
LOL....I'm sure 90% of beyond have ADD. All great comments and most of which I agree with....but again, focus people...focus!

rage2
04-08-2015, 03:13 PM
I love how that Calgary Sun article is so full of shit.

Instead, as the truck pulls ahead, the Ford suddenly swerves around Holysh’s red car and cuts back in so close that Holysh is forced off the road on to the shoulder.
The truck made the pass, the idiot in the Intrepid (Holysh) decides to drive on the damn shoulder, floors it to confront the truck.

“It could have turned deadly so easily, if the car had gone into other traffic — he could have hit someone head on.”
Yea, and it'd be Intrepid's fault for driving on the shoulder, risking loss of traction and potentially out of control into oncoming traffic lol.

A jerk move to block the SUV from passing? Perhaps, but given the black Ford’s aggressive behaviour, it’s exactly what most drivers would have done to keep the weaving tailgater at bay.
This is why there's so much road rage these days. Guys like Intrepid driver thinks they're enforcers on the road.

Back on topic, there is no official slower traffic keep right rule, but as a defensive driver, you should follow that rule. If someone's on my ass, I'm moving out of the way ASAP.

edit - I should move to the right seeing as how slow it took me to respond to this post. :rofl:

whiteout
04-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Does the date and timestamp need to be accurate if the police were to use it as evidence? Or does it not matter at all?

C_Dave45
04-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Back on topic, there is no official slower traffic keep right rule, but as a defensive driver, you should follow that rule. If someone's on my ass, I'm moving out of the way ASAP.

There is actually....it's in the TSA.

ercchry
04-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, curtsies aren't common anymore. Damned internetz.

clearly this is a passionate issue for me and proof reading goes out the window :rofl:

but yeah, this and people pulling out that dont have any depth perception drive me nuts... but i also spend 100kms a day on the highway... so you know :banghead:

Projek01
04-08-2015, 03:18 PM
I personally stick to the rule on Deerfoot and 16th. On other roads, ill get out of the way IF there is no traffic and I can easily move out of the way. No need to be a dick and make a road block.

Both drivers are at fault here. To be fair, most people would loose their cool if they got purposely boxed in by a truck and a kid with a fart can.

ercchry
04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
i hope this guy is on here... btw, its a lude and not a intrepid

http://websta.me/n/toby9987

he has had it for 3 months cause someone texting and driving hit his civic...

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 03:22 PM
I always get out of the way because it is the correct thing to do. If it is road rager, I don't need him near me. If it is a person who has an emergency, I wasn't the dick that stopped them from getting to the hospital on time.

Tik-Tok
04-08-2015, 03:23 PM
i hope this guy is on here... btw, its a lude and not a intrepid

http://websta.me/n/toby9987

he has had it for 3 months cause someone texting and driving hit his civic...

Did we just find Mar's long long brother? Always someone else's fault, never his own?

LOL....I'm sure 90% of beyond have ADD. All great comments and most of which I agree with....but again, focus people...focus!

I just knew this thread would go to chaos anyways, lol.

C_Dave45
04-08-2015, 03:25 PM

I just knew this thread would go to chaos anyways, lol.

Oh I know, me too! lol.

M.alex
04-08-2015, 03:25 PM
We clearly need more enforcement by SNOWCAT! :rofl:

ercchry
04-08-2015, 03:27 PM

Did we just find Mar's long long brother? Always someone else's fault, never his own?

i think so... going further back it looks like he rear ended someone too... cause they stopped in a merge lane.... :rofl:

Seth1968
04-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Here's the regulation:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType233/Production/23SLower_Vehicles_Keep_Right_Sign.pdf

zipdoa
04-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus
I always get out of the way because it is the correct thing to do. If it is road rager, I don't need him near me. If it is a person who has an emergency, I wasn't the dick that stopped them from getting to the hospital on time.

This.

Also, if someone has their signal on, I let them in. Regardless if they 'jumped the queue' or not. Who cares - road raging is a pretty clear symptom of an inability to moderate your emotions.

Originally posted by M.alex
We clearly need more enforcement by SNOWCAT! :rofl:

Where is our champion of motorvehicle regulations when we need him?!

C_Dave45
04-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Here's the regulation:

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType233/Production/23SLower_Vehicles_Keep_Right_Sign.pdf

Ding, ding, ding.

And as per Cst Jeremy Shaw's public tweet:
..Long answer, but in general, no it does not. It only applies outside urban areas where slow traffic is expected to move over.

From the TSA:

Part 1
Rules of the Road
Division 1
Speed Generally
Driving at appropriate speed
2(1) A person shall not do any of the following:
(b) subject to this Part and Part 2, where a highway that is
located outside an urban area has 2 or more traffic lanes
on the same side of the centre line for use by vehicles
travelling in the same direction, drive a vehicle in the
traffic lane nearest the centre line unless the vehicle is
being driven at or near the maximum speed permitted;
(c) drive a vehicle at such a slow rate of speed so as to
impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of
traffic then existing on a highway except when it is
necessary to do so for the safe operation of the vehicle or
to comply with Parts 1 and 2.

The reason being of course, is that within city limits, even in a multi-lane road, the left lane would be used by traffic that is wishing to be making left turns. Not necessarily for people wanting to "cruise" at 30-over the limit without impedence

As far as the drivers in the video, both are a couple of douchebags. You can clearly see the kid braking and keeping in time with the cube van, and then floor it to try and "pretend like he was forced off the road", when we all know what was going on.
But to bring up the whole "slower traffic should move over" in this scenario is completely moot, as it doesn't apply. Playing devil's advocate, the kid might have been driving along the posted speed, and wanting to get into the left lane up ahead...he's under no obligation to move over, just because someone behind him wants to roar through. .

ercchry
04-08-2015, 03:47 PM
i believe there is something in there about impending traffic though ;)

Nismorphed
04-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Toby is a pussy, probably cried that day

C_Dave45
04-08-2015, 03:50 PM
i believe there is something in there about impending traffic though ;) Impending doom I bet too! ;)

Yes.....on highways outside of rural areas. Being a courteous driver, you wouldn't want to be driving 15 kmh in the left lane down McLeod...but there's no rule that pertains to "slower traffic keep right" within city roads.

Nitro5
04-08-2015, 03:52 PM
I love faster 'bait' cars, I always let them pass to clear the way. Especially great at night when the photo radar flash is so easy to see

ercchry
04-08-2015, 04:00 PM
Impending doom I bet too! ;)

Yes.....on highways outside of rural areas. Being a courteous driver, you wouldn't want to be driving 15 kmh in the left lane down McLeod...but there's no rule that pertains to "slower traffic keep right" within city roads.

umm.. it says that the "outside of an urban area" is for that part... and part 2... not section c. im no lawyer... and was a b student in english... but... :dunno:

also depends how you read this one:

3(1)
If a person driving a vehicle is driving the vehicle on a
highway at a speed that is less than the normal speed of the traffic
on the highway at that time and place and under the conditions then
existing, that person shall drive the vehicle
(a) in the right traffic lane then available for traffic, or
(b) as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the
roadway,
except when either
(c) overtaking and passing another vehicle travelling in the
same direction, or
(d) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private
road or driveway

C_Dave45
04-08-2015, 04:09 PM

umm.. it says that the "outside of an urban area" is for that part... and part 2... not section c. im no lawyer... and was a b student in english... but... :dunno:

also depends how you read this one:

3(1)
If a person driving a vehicle is driving the vehicle on a
highway at a speed that is less than the normal speed of the traffic
on the highway at that time and place and under the conditions then
existing, that person shall drive the vehicle
(a) in the right traffic lane then available for traffic, or
(b) as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the
roadway,
except when either
(c) overtaking and passing another vehicle travelling in the
same direction, or
(d) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private
road or driveway

So, Cst Jeremy Shaw doesn't know what he's talking about then?
I'm no lawyer either, so I asked a cop. Obviously they've been known to be mistaken...but I pretty much take this cops word on it.

The whole premise of "slower traffic keeping right" isn't of much use when every block there is an intersection where anyone might be wanting to turn left is there? Are they supposed to change lanes...let all the speeders go, and then quickly try to get back into their correct lane?
You can interpret it any way you want, I guess. It's up to the cops and Crown to enforce it. :dunno:

Thales of Miletus
04-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Then there are people like this guy.

Children in a car, so use a chainsaw to threaten them.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-man-pleads-not-guilty-in-apparent-chainsaw-road-rage-incident-1.2315514

It goes toward the old saying, "don't start no shit, won't be no shit."

ercchry
04-08-2015, 04:20 PM
i believe every public road =highway

...but he did say there was a long answer :rofl:

bourge73
04-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Just out of mear couriosity can said
dude get in shit for say getting out of
his car in traffic in a threatening manner. ?

C_Dave45
04-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Just out of mear couriosity can said
dude get in shit for say getting out of
his car in traffic in a threatening manner. ?
Yes, if the dude is bigger than you. And if he has cauliflower ears...RUN!

dansmith11
04-08-2015, 04:51 PM
yup, both a dummies.

i really dont get people who try and police speed limits. think of it this way, if you were walking down the sidewalk, and someone came up behind you who was walking faster than you, would you body check them? would you weave back and forth so they couldnt get past you? maybe flip them the bird and call them an asshole while you're at it?

if you wouldnt do that to someone walking, you shouldn't do it driving.

as for slower traffic keep right.. always a good idea. law or not.

but for me, its more important to just not drive directly besides another car whenever possible. obviously in rush hour this is a little different. but if there is space, why drive right next to someone? either speed up or slow down, but make space around you. its just good defensive driving.

i'm basically always operating under the assumption that the car next to me is a dummy and could suddenly swerve into me at any second. so i go out of my way to not drive beside someone whenever possible. it's safer for me, and has the added benefit of leaving gaps between cars in different lanes, so if someone comes up behind me going a million miles an hour, they are free to go around and get on with their day and it doesnt really matter who is in what lane.

frizzlefry
04-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by dansmith11

i'm basically always operating under the assumption that the car next to me is a dummy and could suddenly swerve into me at any second. so i go out of my way to not drive beside someone whenever possible. it's safer for me, and has the added benefit of leaving gaps between cars in different lanes, so if someone comes up behind me going a million miles an hour, they are free to go around and get on with their day and it doesnt really matter who is in what lane.

Exactly. My philosophy is that I cannot get into a car accident with someone if they are half a km behind me. No way am I hanging around with buicks and rented u-hauls for kms.

I tend to thread the needle a bit when I drive. Not bad, but I get to the front. I changed lanes in front of someone last week and they gave me a honk. Couldn't figure out why. 2 car lengths distance, I was 10 car lengths ahead within seconds of switching lanes. It was some old couple in a buick. Next light they honked again and the old bittie rolled her window down to chew me out for not signaling longer. "You can't just throw a quick signal then move jerk!"

But its a feature in my Audi. Tap the stick without fully engaging and the signal blinks 3 times then stops. It's designed for changing lanes. That how it works. Says to me they were too busy talking about life insurance and leaving a little something for their grand kids (to show they care) rather than focusing on driving and what is happening around them.

Tik-Tok
04-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry

But its a feature in my Audi. Tap the stick without fully engaging and the signal blinks 3 times then stops. It's designed for changing lanes.

I've always thought 3 blinks was never long enough (even when I had the same feature). A proper signal change should be 3 blinks before you even start changing lanes, then it should keep blinking until you're fully in there (so 5-6 blinks total)

g-m
04-08-2015, 05:43 PM
But you should've already checked and seen that there's room so the signal is basically a courtesy unless you want them to slow and let you in

frizzlefry
04-08-2015, 05:47 PM

I've always thought 3 blinks was never long enough (even when I had the same feature). A proper signal change should be 3 blinks before you even start changing lanes, then it should keep blinking until you're fully in there (so 5-6 blinks total)

I kinda agree but kinda don't. I mean, when you signal are you asking for permission to enter the lane or is it an FYI for other drivers in case you don't see them (blind spot or whatever)? Permission shouldn't be required if there is room to do it safely. In my mind its an "FYI". But a lot of people, like buddy in the clip, would speed up and not let you in. It's either "we are going the limit, slow him down" or "nobody gets in front of me!". So I use it as an FYI. "I'm entering your lane". Enough notice for them to know but not enough to allow them to execute some sort of vigilantism to keep everyone else where they want them to be.

Tik-Tok
04-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by g-m
But you should've already checked and seen that there's room so the signal is basically a courtesy unless you want them to slow and let you in

I just find most people don't notice the first couple of blinks. So they think you're cutting them off and honk. All dependent on speed as well of course. 50km.h is different than 120km.h

Sugarphreak
04-08-2015, 05:58 PM

kenny
04-08-2015, 06:10 PM

I just find most people don't notice the first couple of blinks. So they think you're cutting them off and honk. All dependent on speed as well of course. 50km.h is different than 120km.h

More like they see the first couple blinks and immediately accelerate in an attempt to close the gap. Then they get all pissy that you "cut them off".

Edit: Damn too slow... :P

beyond_ban
04-08-2015, 06:17 PM

I never use my signal for permission, it is just to show the other driver what i am doing. Or, if it is a three lane situation, it is to make sure that no one in the far opposite lane tries to change into the middle lane at the same time as i do.

There is nothing worse than the terrible drivers that aren't able to find a gap in their desired lane to allow traffic to continue to flow seamlessly, and instead sit there in their lane with their signal going for 20 seconds while simultaneously hitting the brakes and slowing their current lane down. Then, on top of that, someone slows down to let them in and they still don't take take the damn opening.

Sorry, it's a sensitive topic for me.

/rant

sr20s14zenki
04-08-2015, 06:53 PM
For the most part, i think people lack courtesy these days. Will it really kill you to just move over? Im not asking to fuck your wife...i just want by. Its not your business if i speed, thats mine and mine only. Then you get your jackass on the phone that's too busy to even check his mirrors because hes busy being chatty. Then you get captain Imacop, who frowns on your speeding, and does anything in his power to sabotage you getting by. And my favorite, and i find this is WORST on stoney. You get some dickwad doing 110 in the left lane, with about 2 miles of free road in front of him, and he wont move. When you do get the chance to pass him, he suddenly notices that people want by, and floors it to your speed. Morons, all of them! Sick of the shitty self absorbed drivers in this city. Im sure its worse elsewhere, but still...GOD DAMMIT!

That was a nice vent....thanks guys! lol

And as for the video, the guy in the intrepid was being a piece of shit. So was the yellow truck. What is it your business if the guy wants by, have some courtesy and clear the lane. its none of your business. As far as i can tell, the intrepid falls into the "this is my lane, fuck off" class.

Darell_n
04-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Here's another question for everybody. You are in the left lane being held up by a slow poke in front of you. Somebody behind you is also being held up. Do you pull over and let the guy behind you move forward? No? Then YOU are the problem too so stop bitching. I love watching 10 cars in the left lane with only 2 in the left and they're all loosing their shit at each other.

Nitro5
04-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Why am I the problem? I'm waiting patiently for the person in front to finish their pass so I can make mine. I'm not losing my shit anywhere :dunno:

BerserkerCatSplat
04-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Here's another question for everybody. You are in the left lane being held up by a slow poke in front of you. Somebody behind you is also being held up. Do you pull over and let the guy behind you move forward? No? Then YOU are the problem too so stop bitching. I love watching 10 cars in the left lane with only 2 in the left and they're all loosing their shit at each other.

So, by your logic, every single person in the left lane should pull into the right lane to let through the last guy in the left lane - even if the right lane is moving slower than the left?

rage2
04-08-2015, 07:09 PM
I move over and pass on the right lol.

brucebanner
04-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Why hasn't anyone commented on his pyjama pants? :D

On topic though, I try to stay in the right lane regardless of where I am unless I am passing. I know I dislike getting caught up by left lane drivers, especially on the highway, so I try not to do that to others on the road.

Nismorphed
04-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Fkn Toby Pajama

rx7boi
04-08-2015, 08:31 PM
Wow, talk about impatient and having crazy road rage. I don't think I can side with either of them in this case.

Dude in red was clearly fucking with the yellow car by speeding up and boxing him out when he tries to go in the right lane. Poor Toby didn't want to be overtaken and the other guy couldn't be bothered to wait until it turned into 3 lanes and pass on the right ASAP before it turns off onto Barlow.

I generally don't mind moving over for people but sometimes I'm already driving over the limit. In those cases, I really don't like being pressured into speeding even more just so someone can pass.

What's that stretch on Mcknight, like a 60km/h zone?

Someone should repost that video of the two cars brake checking each other outside of COP towards Stoney.

Sugarphreak
04-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Darell_n
04-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

So, by your logic, every single person in the left lane should pull into the right lane to let through the last guy in the left lane - even if the right lane is moving slower than the left?

Yup. If you aren't passing, get the hell out of the way. Of course this is in no way realistic. I'm sure everyone here, including myself, has cursed out the guy in front of you even though there are a dozen cars in front of him. My point is people are genetically selfish so the left lane rule is not at all feasible.

Thales of Miletus
04-09-2015, 12:51 AM
I think road rage is also a conditioned response.

Reacting with vitriol to any perceived slight is really silly when you think about it.

But put a piece of glass between anonymous people and look out.

Louis C.K. on road rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8062QEFk5g

BerserkerCatSplat
04-09-2015, 07:53 AM

Yup. If you aren't passing, get the hell out of the way. Of course this is in no way realistic. I'm sure everyone here, including myself, has cursed out the guy in front of you even though there are a dozen cars in front of him. My point is people are genetically selfish so the left lane rule is not at all feasible.

Any yet, if the right lane is moving slower than the left (as usual) then every single vehicle in that left-lane lineup is executing a passing maneuver. If the person hogging the left lane has no intentions of moving over or speeding up, how does everyone in the left lane (except one arbitrary "last" car) slowing down into the right lane benefit the traffic flow?

Tik-Tok
04-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi

What's that stretch on Mcknight, like a 60km/h zone?

70km/h posted, but 90% of people go 85-90km/h

gogreen
04-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Here's the regulation:

It's interesting that the regulation states the starburst style of "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign is only approved for use along Highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary. It also states that signs aren't recommended for use on freeway sections passing through urban centres, giving the example of Deerfoot.

However, there are signs like that posted on the east leg of Stoney, which I believe is located within city limits (technically, at least).

DENZILDON
04-09-2015, 09:13 AM
Let me play devil's advocate here, how about this....

The red car on the left is on already on Max speed limit and so is the yellow truck.

The SUV came up clearly wanted to over take and clearly was riding their ass.

The red car didn't want to speed because that would take him past the max speed on the road and didn't want to slow down because it would look like he's break checking the guy. And he is turning left after all that's why he is on that lane.

codetrap
04-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Lex350
04-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Both are db's and deserve a slap upside the head.

schocker
04-09-2015, 09:31 AM
I noticed some new slow traffic keep right signs on stoney :love:

M.alex
04-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by schocker
I noticed some new slow traffic keep right signs on stoney :love:

because people really obey signage around here :rofl:

firebane
04-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Now, I find it all funny because it's so.. useless. Just like this crazy guy on my way back from Edmonton on Sunday. I set my cruise for 115, and he passes me on the left, pulls into the right and starts to slow down. So I just wait till it's clear, lane left and pass him again. Never once taking the cruise off. As soon as I merge right again, he jumps on it and passes me on the left again and then merges right after a couple of minutes, and slows down. So I just slow down to 110 and let him go. Once he's quite ahead, I go back to 115, never to see him again... the wife and I share a laugh, and the sun continues to shine.

This is a massively rampant issue on the QE II I find. Every damn time I drive to Edmonton or Back I get a few meat heads doing this exact shit.

DENZILDON
04-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by gogreen

It's interesting that the regulation states the starburst style of "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign is only approved for use along Highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary. It also states that signs aren't recommended for use on freeway sections passing through urban centres, giving the example of Deerfoot.

However, there are signs like that posted on the east leg of Stoney, which I believe is located within city limits (technically, at least).

If you look at the date it was revised it says 2006

C_Dave45
04-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

The red car on the left is on already on Max speed limit and so is the yellow truck.

The red car didn't want to speed because that would take him past the max speed on the road and didn't want to slow down because it would look like he's break checking the guy. And he is turning left after all that's why he is on that lane.

Nailed it. Theoretically this is how it is supposed to work. But we all know that... "I want to do 95 along this 70 km/h stretch, so get the hell outta my way asshole, you're doing the speed limit....that's SLOW..move the fuck over".... is how it works in real life.

If I'm casually doing, say 110-115 in the left lane down Deerfoot, with hardly anyone in front of me and I notice someone ripping up behind me, I'll quickly move over and let him pass. I'f I'm doing that same 110-115 but there's tons of traffic in front of me, I sure as hell ain't gonna move over to a much slower centre lane, just because some prick is riding my ass. If he wants by so much, floor it and rip up the left shoulder of the highway...the fine is the same as speeding, so knock yourself out.

TheHumbleGeek
04-09-2015, 11:43 AM
floor it and rip up the left shoulder of the highway...the fine is the same as speeding, so knock yourself out.

What are the demerits like for shoulder riding like that?

In all seriousness, the video I watched doesnt show how close the escape and the intrepid get, so Its a guess on what MIGHT have happened.

Now, having said that.... Agressive driving IS illegal, police call it "driving without due care", both idiots should be slapped with a tuna, and police should fine both of them, with the same offence.

gogreen
04-09-2015, 12:47 PM

If you look at the date it was revised it says 2006

So it does, thanks! Didn't notice that.

Agreed, up to the point of the apparent simultaneous brake check and boxing-in maneuver by the drivers of the car and cube van. That clearly escalated things, although the Escape driver appeared quite aggressive in his weaving and tailgating well before that.

sr20s14zenki
04-09-2015, 07:00 PM

Nailed it. Theoretically this is how it is supposed to work. But we all know that... "I want to do 95 along this 70 km/h stretch, so get the hell outta my way asshole, you're doing the speed limit....that's SLOW..move the fuck over".... is how it works in real life.

If I'm casually doing, say 110-115 in the left lane down Deerfoot, with hardly anyone in front of me and I notice someone ripping up behind me, I'll quickly move over and let him pass. I'f I'm doing that same 110-115 but there's tons of traffic in front of me, I sure as hell ain't gonna move over to a much slower centre lane, just because some prick is riding my ass. If he wants by so much, floor it and rip up the left shoulder of the highway...the fine is the same as speeding, so knock yourself out.

Same here. when i see somebody coming, i move over LONG before they get there, and i expect the same from others. But you get these assholes, that WAIT until youre right on their ass before they move over. Like, what the fuck. Doesn't anybody look at their mirrors anymore? (i think i know the answer). I love the guys that ride your ass tho, when theres like 25 cars in front of you and its CLEARLY traffic and not ME holding things up. Every morning on deerfoot i get that. Like, dude, its fucking traffic, relax.

dubhead
04-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Most places in the city it doesn't really work since you have people who will be in the left lane that will need to turn right and I really don't expect them to get out of the way just so they can fight there way back across somewhere up the road. This is exactly the case in this video.

Out on the highway if your not passing you should certainly be in the right lane and letting faster traffic by, that being said I won't get over if I don't think you'll get past me by the time I'll need to pass the next person in the right lane. Getting as close as you can to my bumper isn't going to change this especially since 70% people ride my ass then when i get over maybe go 5km/h faster than I am taking forever to get past so I can get back over before the next slow poke in the right lane :banghead:

Also if I'm behind some one in the left lane waiting for them to get over there is no point in tailgating me for:
1.You can wait just like me
2. Even if I do get over you're not going anywhere
3. I'm in a German sports car I bet I enjoy driving 90km/hr in the left on the QEII even less then you do