PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Hot Water Tank Replacement Advice

dam_guy
04-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Here is some back story on my situation.

Initially I went to Home Depot to shop around for a new HWT but my parents ended up jumping the gun and purchased a 50GAL tank costing approx. $1100. Of course this includes the delivery, install and removal of the old tank. Forward to the next day, the installers showed up but advised the HWT purchased was the wrong type as I need a power-vented model and that my pipes would need to be replaced due to new building codes. Surprise surprise, all these new tidbits = more $.

So my options are to either bite the bullet and continue on with Home Depot for an additional $700 for everything said and done,

or

Cancel my order and get a refund minus $50, and shop around for a better deal.

Of course, I'm open to recommendation for a reputable plumber/establishment for a suitable replacement or am I just being stingy and this is just the cost of home ownership.

jeffh
04-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Shop around. I suggest you cancel and take the $50 hit and I'm sure you'll save more in the long run. Even try ol pete the plumber. I'll see if my jman plumber buddy is interested, likely be your best and cheapest route. I know he prefers/enjoys hwt replacements. What part of town is the house located. PM me if you like.

J.M.
04-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Take the $50 hit and shop around. $1800 for a hwt seems like way too much..

88CRX
04-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Do not use ARO Plumbing. They suck.

From my research after using ARO, Pete the Plumber seems to be reasonable.

A790
04-08-2015, 07:52 PM
Call Action Furnace (www.actionfurnace.ca). They do them starting at $849 installed.

ercchry
04-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Fuck action... $2k quote to clean my furnace and replace the pilot tube

Just did my tank, $700 for a 50 gal from emco... if you can replace with the same model/brand its super straight forward. Drain tank, kill the water loosen two water lines, pop off the union on the gas line (kill gas first, duh) use a pipe wrench to take off the part still stuck to the old tank, re-tape/dope the fitting, put it on the new tank and then do the reverse to install the new tank. Fill completely before firing up the new tank. Done

The_Penguin
04-08-2015, 08:49 PM
We got 2 new tanks and a softener a few months ago, used Pete the Plumber.
Didn't really shop around on price, but was very happy with how soon they could do it and the quality of the install.

nzwasp
04-09-2015, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
Fuck action... $2k quote to clean my furnace and replace the pilot tube

Just did my tank, $700 for a 50 gal from emco... if you can replace with the same model/brand its super straight forward. Drain tank, kill the water loosen two water lines, pop off the union on the gas line (kill gas first, duh) use a pipe wrench to take off the part still stuck to the old tank, re-tape/dope the fitting, put it on the new tank and then do the reverse to install the new tank. Fill completely before firing up the new tank. Done

How often should you clean your furnace and whats involved.

I always see those guys offering vent cleanings and since I know thats all BS I never sign up, yet furnace cleaning sounds legit but you never see companies offering them through advertising.

ercchry
04-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Im not sure if high efficiency is the same... but this was an older mid efficiency unit... so i guess when you notice an incomplete burn?

Basically just pop the panels off, pull out the burners, hit them with a wire brush, then compressed air, then blow out the rest of the furnace (having a shop vac running at the same time is a must)

Thats about it

jeffh
04-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Apparently there is quite a price difference between regular hot water tanks and power vented ones(units alone), for reasons I am not too educated on. Maybe some expert can weigh in on this. OP, as per my PM, I am told your quote wasn't that unreasonable afterall.

JDMMAN
04-09-2015, 08:44 PM
I'd suggest trying out the "on-demand" systems.

C_Dave45
04-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by JDMMAN
I'd suggest trying out the "on-demand" systems.
Except that will cost you $3500-4500 and 20+ years to recoup the savings. Plus yearly maintenance costs, etc etc.
Unless you're desparate for space saving they're just not worth it.

dam_guy
04-10-2015, 06:21 PM
UPDATE

Thanks for all the suggestions, and to those who reached out to give some personal contacts.

After calling around and gathering a few quotes, seems like Home Depot isn't giving me the shaft as most other places were similary priced if not higher. In the end, I worked it out with Home Depot and came out to $1642 all-in.

As jeefh said above, the main culprit in the price gauging is the fact that my house requires a power-vented tank. These units are already normally $900-1000 for the tank itself. So add on delivery, install, disposal and labor, your looking at cost far above a direct-vent style of HWT.

Now with everything said and done, I hope not to deal with any HWT issues for at least another 10 years.